ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

The way we’re playing right now, we’ll be lucky to make it past the second round of the tournament. It’s truly a shame with the talent on our roster. Rick Barnes would’ve killed every team we played if he had this roster. The games we’ve won is purely because we have better talent instead of coaching.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I'll admit I have not watched much of this team this year. I was commenting to my son it looks like we just go down court and chunk up 3's. Looking at stats, that is right. No attempt to even go inside when we kept missing 3's. Shaka did nothing to stop them from just throwing them up there. I've not been a shaka fan for 2 years now. I tried to like him, but it's clear he isn't ready for this. You know CDC is like "$&%^ here we go again".

Reactions: horn wild
given the covid deal, the oklahoma game was okay. given that baylor may be an all-timer, that game was okay. but it looked like our guards had money on oklahoma state the other day. cunningham made huge play after huge play for us, then he tried to throw the whole thing away on an inbound. i dunno. i feel like we'll pull it back together. but saturday was bad... again

Horns vs Wildcats tonight. “Should” be a walk in the park, but we know better.
Only on espn+.
BBR-What should we do besides watching? I need guidance my friend.;)

Un fvcking believable. What was once a 17 point lead down to 4.
At one point espn tracker had us at 98% to win. I giggled.

Wasn’t pretty but good to see us get back on the winning side. The conference kind of killed are momentum. Hopefully we can get it rolling again.

Wasn’t pretty but good to see us get back on the winning side. The conference kind of killed are momentum. Hopefully we can get it rolling again.
We better do something. Shaka's seat cooled off for a hot minute, and now its back on fire.

And to add to it, Royce Hamm had a tweet after the game saying “Loyalty means nothing nowadays”.
All that good will and confidence seems to be on the brink right now.

We better do something. Shaka's seat cooled off for a hot minute, and now its back on fire.
unless there is a complete meltdown, i think the 25 mil just paid to get rid of the football staff keeps shaka safe. i'm not ready to give up just yet. slumps happen.

12-5 and ranked #13, his seat is not hot. They are playing the hardest conference and is pretty much a lock to make the tournament. Get hot at the right time and who knows what can happen.

Reactions: clob94
12-5 and ranked #13, his seat is not hot. They are playing the hardest conference and is pretty much a lock to make the tournament. Get hot at the right time and who knows what can happen.

Making the tournament is a minimum expectation. Remember there’s 68 teams that make it so getting in is not a big deal. It’s what you do when you get there that matters. I’ll be very surprised if we get beyond round two. Shaka is paid commensurate to other big time coaches that have championship skins. He’s been a successful recruiter for sure but he’s an AAU coach trying to fit into big time NCAA basketball. It was a mistake to hire him and an even bigger mistake to extend him. If we fizzle out again early in the tournament he absolutely should be on the hot seat.

And to add to it, Royce Hamm had a tweet after the game saying “Loyalty means nothing nowadays”.
All that good will and confidence seems to be on the brink right now.
Explain please for those of us that are stupid.

Oh I don’t think he’s going anywhere but going 500 in this conference is a failure with that much talent! Same ol shiy with upgraded talent this year.

Explain please for those of us that are stupid.
His PT has been dropping for the last few games. He's frustrated. I think he played quite a bit in the beginning of the season when we were winning. His play though has dropped off. Add in the losing and it starts to boil over.
My non-educated guess is that tensions are high right now in the locker room and playing tight. Winning hides things and everyone is happy to be part of the "team". When losing it shows your true colors on how you handle it. It's the Big XII and it's a tough schedule. Hopefully we can get back into the rhythm of winning after a couple games and weeks of practice after all the covid BS.

It's disappointing to see us start the season so well at 10-1 then drop four of the next six. All conference games. The last game was against the worst team in the conference ( KSU ) and we barely hung on to win. We're getting worse as the season progresses while most other teams in the Big 12 are getting better. Other teams have been very effective at scouting our team and identifying our weaknesses. Shaka is trying to get us to play like an NBA team relying mostly on driving and kicking the ball out for a bunch of threes. The problem is we're not a very good 3 point shooting team. But we keep playing like we think we are a good shooting team. Opposing coaches are going to just let us keep chucking and heaving a bunch of threes all day long. When we miss and fail to have anyone offensive rebound the ball usually bounces long and provides a great opportunity for the opponent to run out and score in transition before our defense has a chance to get set.

College basketball is mostly predicated on matchups. Our roster is loaded with guys who pose tremendous matchup problems for opponents. Greg Brown and Kai Jones are two of the freakiest athletes in the country but for whatever reason Shaka has them playing mostly in the post all season. Both of these guys have the ability to play on the perimeter as a primary ball handler and facilitator of the offense. They have had very little experience this season playing on the wings so it's too late for them to learn at this point. They just aren't comfortable yet. That's what the non conference games are supposed to be used for - developing our best players so they are playing their best basketball come tournament time.

Imagine Brown or Jones handling the ball at the top of the key. Coleman or Ramey comes over to set a screen. The options are endless and mostly a nightmare for the defense. If the defense doesn't switch, Brown or Jones will likely get a straight line path to the rim. If they do switch, Brown or Jones now has 6'3" or 6 '4" guard trying to guard them. That's the matchup you want! You can either shoot over the top of the defender or back him down into the paint and shoot over him like he's a traffic cone. If they double team, they find the open man with a better shot.

Remember how Coach Barnes used KD. He was purely a wing player and developed into a more lethal outside shooter which made him a matchup nightmare for opponents. If KD were coached by Shaka he would be using him the same way he's utilizing Jones and Brown.

kd would thrive in shaka's style, because he can create for himself and go 1 on 1. he can get a 3 off over anybody.

You know I don't understand why we can't shoot the ball in the second half. It was more of the same in the second half but this time we shot 6 for 8 in the last 5 minutes and that was refreshing. Still can't shoot the 3 ball though. You know the covid cases got our team out of sync but we've our last 2. And now we've got 4 games to go 2 of them ranked. I'm hoping for a strong finish.

Reactions: westx
ADVERTISEMENT