ADVERTISEMENT

Most underachieving programs in the Big 3 sports?

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
In response to the other thread, who do you have as the most underachieving programs in the Big 3 sports? Here's what I have.

1: A&M. Easily. 1 title in football from over 70 years ago, 2 wins in the CWS, and no elite 8s in basketball. They haven't accomplished a thing in baseball or basketball, and haven't done much of anything in football in about 70 years.

2: Arkansas: 1 title in football, 1 title in basketball, 0 titles in baseball. IMO they should have achieved more with Texas and LSU nearby. Plenty of talent in their area.

3-Oregon: 1 title in basketball, 0 titles in football. Plenty of talent in that area in the Big 3 sports.

Those are the first 3 that come to mind. Nebraska actually might be next on the list. Nebraska has a great football program historically, but really haven't done much of anything in basketball or baseball.

They are not relevant in any sense of the word, when they talk trash over here it is beyond laughable. As someone posted the other day-thankfully they joined the SEC, now the rest of the nation can see what hacks they really are. Those stats are worse than I had expected.

This post was edited on 3/19 11:32 PM by Bass Elder

utisdaidiot (aka the OB town crier),

I think it's about time you take one of your 'international business trips'. RPI, SOS,....what's it going to be next? This thread was so not a surprise. You're as petulant as the idiot running this country.

This post was edited on 3/19 10:35 PM by Jimmy-The-Saint

"Those stats are worse than I had expected."

It really is pretty bad.

Football: 1 title in 1939, but go even further to see how bad it has been. They've only finished top 5 in the country 3 times in their entire history (finished 5th twice). 0 BCS bowl wins (that pretty much wipes out their argument about relevant history). It's not even the fact that they haven't won titles, it's the fact that they have been totally irrelevant for almost their entire history. Texas only has 4 titles but has finished in the top 5, 18 times. A&M hasn't even challenged for titles.

Baseball: 2 CWS wins. That speaks for itself.

Basketball: 3 sweet 16s and that's it. That speaks for itself.

That's why I always get a good kick out of aggys running their mouths. They've accomplished absolutely nothing. The word "irrelevant" is the best way to describe aggys. They've been totally off the national landscape in the big 3 sports for their entire history.

"utisdaidiot (aka the OB town crier)"

You seem a little mad with your history, I apologize for your plight.

Originally posted by Jimmy-The-Saint:

I think it's about time you take one of your 'international business trips'. RPI, SOS,....what's it going to be next? This thread was so not a surprise. You're as petulant as the idiot running this country.

You might be right about bomb, but don't change the subject, how is it that aggsy have one of the top 5 biggest athletic budgets and you have virtually nothing to show for it. And don't use that bullshit argument about being all male because it sure didn't stop your 39 team.

Or you can man up and admit your school is a under achieving embarrassment to Texas and all college sports.

"but don't change the subject."

That's all aggys do. Ad hominem argument after ad hominem argument. They have nothing to say about their shitty history so they attack the poster instead of the actual argument. It's embarrassing really.

I dont recall hearing anyone say "Bring out the gimp"... so what are you doing out of your cage?

Wanna sig bet Texas does more in baseball than aggy does? Not that I would trust you to honor it when you lost.. you would probably do what you refuse to do now, which is leave this board and not come back for a long long time.....

There's no question that aggy is far and away number one on this list. There's not a close second.

Can't really agree with your other choices, though. When I look at the most underachieving programs, I'm looking at programs that have geographic (and financial) advantages but that have failed to do much of anything with them.

Arkansas has a pretty impressive athletics history given its location. Yes, it borders states with talent, but it hasn't historically had that much within its own borders, and Fayetteville is pretty far away from anywhere. Arkansas also hasn't resorted to the level of cheating that would help draw in talent. The football program is very solid historically, with a championship and other periods of relevance in the modern era, and their six Final Fours and national title in basketball are no small potatoes. Oregon was a non-entity before Phil Knight's money poured in. They didn't have any advantages to leverage over much of anyone in their geographic area other than Oregon State and Washington State. Nebraska can't be on any list due to the history of its football program alone. Nebraska is an athletics program that never should have been anything in anything, given its desolate location.

When I think of underachieving, I think of a program like Missouri. Mizzou should have been able to draw upon St. Louis and KC to shape themselves into a very solid athletics program across the board. Instead, they're historically massive underachievers. They've done nothing remarkable in football, and they haven't managed a single Final Four in basketball. They have one baseball NC from over 60 years ago during a fleeting period of relevance in that sport. When you just look at natural advantages, Mizzou would certainly appear to have more going for it than KU and Nebraska. There's no good reason for them to have been so forgettable for their entire history.

Even worse is Virginia. Virginia is the rich, prestigious flagship of a big state, and it's near several significant metro areas. Their football history makes Mizzou look distinguished. They were good in basketball in the '80s, with two Final Fours and several Elite Eights and Sweet 16s, but that's it. They were completely irrelevant in baseball until the last decade or so.

Georgia belongs on this list as well. UGA should be killing it in athletics. Their football history is solid enough, but they're the flagship university in a great college town in a populous state with loads of talent in all sports. While they do have one title and a respectable history overall, UGA football is more memorable for generally managing to screw things up and disappoint and for beating its archrival just three times in a recent 21-season stretch. Atlanta is one of the top basketball talent hotbeds in the country. But UGA basketball? LOL. There's also loads of in-state baseball talent. But UGA baseball? Man, is that an underwhelming history. They do have a title in 1990 and a few recent CWS appearances, but it's a barren stretch of nothingness as far as the eye can see before that.

This post was edited on 3/20 4:26 AM by BringBackRoyal

Originally posted by LonghornSoldier:

I dont recall hearing anyone say "Bring out the gimp"... so what are you doing out of your cage?

Wanna sig bet Texas does more in baseball than aggy does? Not that I would trust you to honor it when you lost.. you would probably do what you refuse to do now, which is leave this board and not come back for a long long time.....
If he won't, I will.

Jimmy-The-Saint posted on 3/19/2015...

Jimmythefool....you are on a Texas board not aggy. Maybe they didnt teach you government in school but the United States does not have 1 person running the country..and you call someone else an idiot. FOOL

I wouldn't have Oregon on this list. I don't really think of Oregon (the state) as having plenty of talent. Yeah there is Cali, but Oregon isn't really first in line for there. Look at their football recruiting classes. They overachieve if you are to believe in recruiting rankings.

BBR.....

I'm going with-

3. Georgia- no excuse for not being relevant in all 3 sports. Plenty of talent in all 3 of the sports in their state.
2. Virginia- I love the campus, it's one of the most beautiful in the country and Thomas Jefferson's crown jewel (aside from America) and they should own the east coast. Academics are awesome and the location is great. Zero reason Virginia should be so pathetic year in an year out.

1. With a bullet- aggy. Do I even need to explain why? Their vaccuity of suckage is legendary.

Illinois.

Can't remember them winning anything in the big 3 sports.

Originally posted by clob94:
BBR.....

I'm going with-

3. Georgia- no excuse for not being relevant in all 3 sports. Plenty of talent in all 3 of the sports in their state.
2. Virginia- I love the campus, it's one of the most beautiful in the country and Thomas Jefferson's crown jewel (aside from America) and they should own the east coast. Academics are awesome and the location is great. Zero reason Virginia should be so pathetic year in an year out.

1. With a bullet- aggy. Do I even need to explain why? Their vaccuity of suckage is legendary.
I think that's how I'd rank them as well.

UVA is so bad that people usually forget to even consider them in this sort of discussion. One could make an argument on that count for ranking them above aggy, but as underachieving as UVA is, they don't sit in or next to a talent megazone like Houston and East Texas. Nobody has done less with that kind of enormous advantage than aggy.

I also agree with UGA taking third over Mizzou. I can see going either way, but UGA is the university in a state with the fourth-highest number of NFL players, loads of talent in all sports, and other talent-rich states on its borders. I don't understand how they can be so underwhelming when playing with that sort of hand.

I also think you could put the Florida schools in this mix. They have only had recent, (dating back only about 30 years or so) of success in football mostly. UF, may get a better nod than most due to their success in basketball and football, but Miami, FSU and UF have only been relevant in recent decades. Not in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.

i am willing to admit I may be wrong with the FL schools, but I would have to agree that Oregon isn't the top 3.

Just read bombs post about ranking the top 10, i didn't realize that Miami and UF had some success recently in two to three sports. My bad.

This post was edited on 3/20 8:06 PM by txn_in_wa

good topic and im guessing depending on the criteria a lot of teams could make this list. How about Michigan(atleast football wise)? 1 shared title the past 60 years or so? Texas in football or basketball? OU in basketball? How about Clemson? A&M and Arkie are two that have already been mentioned and definitely should be on this list. As for me, I find myself watching womens softball more than college baseball. Are we counting women bball as well? okay now im rambling. lol

How about Syracuse? They have won 1 in football and we should all know. They have won 1 in basketball in 03. And they don't have a baseball team but if they did they would probably have a better baseball record then aggy.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT