ADVERTISEMENT

Moving on to USC

I meant a QB that could get the ball to them. It does not matter how great the QB is if the WR can't get open or can't catch a tough pass. We just disagree. I think the Texas WR's are deep and talented.

I think them being as talented as we've had in a long time is skewing the perception of what talented means. We've just had nothing at that position for so long. Not that its the only measure, but do you think these WRs will be playing on Sunday? If so, which ones?

Linebacker Porter Gustin, who led the Trojans in tackles for loss last season, suffered a shoulder injury last weekend against Stanford and had two screws surgically inserted into his foot this week to repair what head coach Todd Helton described as a “small crack.” He’s listed as doubtful for the Texas game.

Also doubtful is defensive tackle Marlon Tuipuloti, who sprained a knee ligament against the Cardinal and could miss several weeks. The 6’3, 295-pounder was ranked as the consensus No. 5 defensive tackle in the country this year in the 247Sports Composite rankings and started against Stanford.

Run the ball!

Reactions: swVAHorn
I think them being as talented as we've had in a long time is skewing the perception of what talented means. We've just had nothing at that position for so long. Not that its the only measure, but do you think these WRs will be playing on Sunday? If so, which ones?
I don't agree with the premise. I don't think you have to play on Sunday to be talented. Many great college players did nothing in the pros.

Reactions: bubba2023
I don't agree with the premise. I don't think you have to play on Sunday to be talented. Many great college players did nothing in the pros.

I agree it's not great measuring stick, but these guys aren't producing on the field either, but then we just blame that on the QB. All their talent seems to be just based on recruiting rankings. I think potential is probably the better word than talented. Our guys are just really good athletes and one day if they put it all together will be talented WRs.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I agree it's not great measuring stick, but these guys aren't producing on the field either, but then we just blame that on the QB. All their talent seems to be just based on recruiting rankings. I think potential is probably the better word than talented. Our guys are just really good athletes and one day if they put it all together will be talented WRs.
I do wish we could get film to see the entire field. We could really tell how the WR's are doing in their routes and blocking. On TV it is hard to see if they are creating separation or they are not open to throw the ball to them. You probably get to see them in person. I wish I could soon. Going to try.

Linebacker Porter Gustin, who led the Trojans in tackles for loss last season, suffered a shoulder injury last weekend against Stanford and had two screws surgically inserted into his foot this week to repair what head coach Todd Helton described as a “small crack.” He’s listed as doubtful for the Texas game.

Also doubtful is defensive tackle Marlon Tuipuloti, who sprained a knee ligament against the Cardinal and could miss several weeks. The 6’3, 295-pounder was ranked as the consensus No. 5 defensive tackle in the country this year in the 247Sports Composite rankings and started against Stanford.

Run the ball!

Not sure if anyone else caught the first injury report ?

USC LB injures his SHOULDER yet has two screws inserted into his FOOT ?

Doubtful SHOULD definitely be out for the season if screws had to be put in the players foot to fix his shoulder...lol !!

I do wish we could get film to see the entire field. We could really tell how the WR's are doing in their routes and blocking. On TV it is hard to see if they are creating separation or they are not open to throw the ball to them. You probably get to see them in person. I wish I could soon. Going to try.

I'd bet you would see a mix bag on the all 22. WRs getting open but not getting the ball, and WRs not making plays when they should be. Nobody consistent.

Deontay Burnett will give us issues if they don't have 2 DB's on this guy. He's long and has some good hands but weighs nothing. Need to punish him to make him think about catching.

"We were watching them all year," Young says of USC. "All the way back in summer practice I would say, 'I'm headed to work out. Anyone who wants to beat USC, come with me.'"

I'd bet you would see a mix bag on the all 22. WRs getting open but not getting the ball, and WRs not making plays when they should be. Nobody consistent.
That's exactly what you'd see. Route running is about two things:

Discipline--- running into and exploding out of routes means you sell one move, sink your hips and explode into your break at precisely the right moment-- and the ball arrives as SOON as you come out of your break with your eyes and hands up.

Improvisation-- if the play is busted or everyone's routes are covered up, you and your QB better be mind readers. He better know your escape move on your route and where you're going to run to in order to bail out your QB. You've got to spend hours and hours together on and off the field to get this right. QB should be able to start a sentence with the WR being able to finish it.

We don't have that right now.

It's gonna take a perfect game from us to win. If we come out stale in either half or lose the turnover battle, we lose. If the opposite occurs, we have a great chance.

ADVERTISEMENT