ADVERTISEMENT

Nahlin 9.95 insider on Herman and Texas

You want to change racist songs? How about we start with that crap otherwise known as mumble rap. Ghetto rap is played in the locker room, at practice, at the dorms, and at the stadium. Ghetto rap is violent, racist, misogynistic, anti police, and anti gay shit. I will only laugh, spit in your eye, and call you a hypocrite until that shit is purged. It's a blight upon this country and I'm all for removing those who create and listen to that crap permanently from our country.

Fine. Drop the Eyes of Texas but i ****ing swear that if I hear any of that cat moaning wrap shit at a game, I'm going to go postal.

Now runalong sooner and rape some indians. Now that's real history.

Let's get this topic back to a coaching search. Mr. Land Thief needs to exit this thread.
Exhibit #1 - look up the lyrics of WAP by Cardi B. Yet, this singer is given an audience by leaders in our political institutions. Zero redeeming value in that song. Yet, those same young adults that listen to this song and haven’t accomplished a damn thing in life are making a demand of the school. It’s our fault for even listening to such demand.

Your school song was performed at minstrel shows as an homage to a confederate mantra to the tune of a song created by ultra wealthy, white 19th Century Princeton students to make fun of black railroad workers. Whether you see it as racist is totally irrelevant at this point. If Black athletes see it as racist, you either drop it or accept that you are alienating them and will miss out on recruits because of it. I personally hope you keep the song and hire some crazy coach who tries to force all his players to stand for it. Because that will cost you even more good players.

The song as it is played today is not racist and is not meant to be racist. The students are wrong, and they ruined a great tradition. The sad thing is that some of them will probably transfer or leave before earning their degree. So now you have students that created this big mess and will leave because they don't like the reaction. If the University was that important to them you would think they would have more pride in it. Right now they are not doing themselves any favors for their cause.

Reactions: Austinbat1
Exhibit #1 - look up the lyrics of WAP by Cardi B. Yet, this singer is given an audience by leaders in our political institutions. Zero redeeming value in that song. Yet, those same young adults that listen to this song and haven’t accomplished a damn thing in life are making a demand of the school. It’s our fault for even listening to such demand.

The players had some very unique thoughts and good ideas. The attacking of The Eyes is incredibly short sighted and ludicrous however.

Renaming the stadium, fine. The Jamail family was down. Putting up more memorials to honor past AA on campus...terrific!

But as I stated back in the summer, change is sometimes good and necessary. However, adults need to be steadfast in their principles. Changing for the sake of change is a dangerous proposition. It only leads to nonsensical and petty responses which will further the divide between logic/reason and emotion/anger. Not good.

Reactions: Austinbat1
The players had some very unique thoughts and good ideas. The attacking of The Eyes is incredibly short sighted and ludicrous however.

Renaming the stadium, fine. The Jamail family was down. Putting up more memorials to honor past AA on campus...terrific!

But as I stated back in the summer, change is sometimes good and necessary. However, adults need to be steadfast in their principles. Changing for the sake of change is a dangerous proposition. It only leads to nonsensical and petty responses which will further the divide between logic/reason and emotion/anger. Not good.
I'm absolutely of the viewpoint that foundational principles must be adhered to. But, I also agree that life is not static and officially recognizing certain events or renaming buildings/fields is sometimes appropriate. E.g., renaming the field as you point out.
My point above came more from the standpoint of posture and approach of the party making the request. If my college-aged kid (whose college education I fund) came to me with a "demand", I certainly know what my response would be. If the kid came to me with a request to discuss some things, my response would be entirely different.

Those certainly are some words.

I’m not getting into the specifics of sociological theory, and I’m not going to have a debate on race. I think a lot of traditions are bad and need to change. I think OU should change its mascot because it represents the theft of land from indigenous people. Whether that influences anyone to play at OU or not is completely secondary. But I do want minority populations to feel welcome on campus. If Black people have a problem with the racist origins of a fight song, you should change it because it makes them feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. If that isn’t enough to persuade you, I’m saying you might also be motivated by the desire to win. Regardless of whether you think it is racist or not, Black athletes do. So you can change it, or you can send a message that they aren’t welcome and should go play elsewhere. That’s just reality,
You want OU to stop being a racist university?

Ok cool.

Give it all back. That's the only way you can erase your racism against native Americans. You stole their land. All of it. So give it allllllll back and give back the 1.78 billion in endowment because much of that came from oil money-- and if you didn't own the land, you didn't own the oil.

Give it all back and then we can begin to have a conversation about "righting" racism in the University systems.

I eagerly await your response. No, like seriously. I can't wait.

I'm absolutely of the viewpoint that foundational principles must be adhered to. But, I also agree that life is not static and officially recognizing certain events or renaming buildings/fields is sometimes appropriate. E.g., renaming the field as you point out.
My point above came more from the standpoint of posture and approach of the party making the request. If my college-aged kid (whose college education I fund) came to me with a "demand", I certainly know what my response would be. If the kid came to me with a request to discuss some things, my response would be entirely different.

Athletes have been fooled into thinking they are free of consequence and have ALL the power. Well, they don't. Eye balls have the power. Money and how it is spent has the power. When people stop watching, I doubt they will understand. They will just resort to calling everyone a "karen" or "bigot." Welp, as our newly signed up sooner friend has stated, you have to change if you want something. So I guess we'll see how it works out. I'm probably done with NBA and NFL, not because of politics but because I don't want to sit there for 4 hours on a weekend while watching an hour and a half of commercials. Many folks are done because of politics. If the players don't like it, tough shit, they have all the power right?

As far as what I underlined above JD, 100% spot on. When players came in with a "demand" letter and said do this or we quit, they should've been shown the door. However, if they came in with some concerns and wanted to discuss possible changes, by all means have those conversations. As clob stated, all this crap was not handled internally and now it has spread like forest fire. Players were assumingly encouraged to take to social media with their "demand or I quit" letter. Not good. It'll be a while before it is put out.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn

I agree, weevil. In a normal world where we are always negotiating something, I would think that the players would have gotten together to celebrate and have pride in the lengths the university went to LISTEN AND ACT. I would also think that it would have reinforced in their minds a sense of pride because they made the right decision to come to the right university. Texas actually backs up there end of the bargain-These were NOT small little requests that were granted. A degree of gratitude is in order where a normal person would express from the rooftops or social media something in the neighborhood of "We are so proud of our university. We asked and they delivered. Texas showed us their commitment to us and now we are loyal forever". (Well, something along those lines)

You want OU to stop being a racist university?

Ok cool.

Give it all back. That's the only way you can erase your racism against native Americans. You stole their land. All of it. So give it allllllll back and give back the 1.78 billion in endowment because much of that came from oil money-- and if you didn't own the land, you didn't own the oil.

Give it all back and then we can begin to have a conversation about "righting" racism in the University systems.

I eagerly await your response. No, like seriously. I can't wait.

Apple meet orange. I get what you are saying, but your argument is different than what is happening with Texas (and other colleges' football players). Kind of sounds like you are saying look over here, don't worry about that in the corner, the problem is over here.

The issue at hand, for Texas football, is the current and likely prospective football players have a problem with Texas's history...right or wrong.

The bigger problem, or question is, what is the adminstration and athletic department going to do about it to appease the players and BMD's - or - do they simply make the donors happy?

It is easy to say screw the players and only recruit players that want what the University (i.e. BMD's) want...but is that gonna work in today's times? Do you side with the players, even against what the Administration thinks is morally right?

Where the money meets the the road is the answer. With all that being said, the answer is easy: hire a good f#$king football coach that can run an institution like the Texas football program. Wins relieves pressure, keeps the monies flowing, and players relax as well as focus on the job at hand (winning)...good luck.

The distribution model for television programming is finished. It is over. Everything is accessible on the net for free. That is a large chunk of cash being wasted. What am I saying exactly? I am saying that large network contracts are worthless. When ESPN buys exclusive rights to SEC sports, they are paying the SEC to distribute SEC content. ESPN charges a pretty penny for viewers to buy their content. But there is a problem, technology has rendered their middleman scheme worthless. I can watch anything for free online. They have no way to stop this and ESPN is bleeding out. The same will happen to FOX or anyone that believes they can be gate keepers for content. The conferences are getting kicked in the balls. The schools are getting kicked in the balls. And you guessed it, the players are going to get kicked in the balls.... all things university, pro, whatever are going to take a sizeable pay cut.

How does this relate to the above conversation? The pie is shrinking and player protests are driving away paying customers. The number of leeches is growing. The players are killing the sports business model. The NBA is in serious trouble. The other leagues are following suit. NCAA football is not immune.

The Universtiy of Texas is in serious trouble financially. The athletic department is broke. The athletic department is now in the hands of boosters. The boosters will be calling the shots for the foreseeable future or the athletic department will wither on the vine. The players are biting the hand that feeds them. If UT Austin loses its fanbase, the whole B12 goes down. While OU is winning and doing well now, it's really only a matter of time til they have the same issues. It's about time that businessmen take the wheel. The idiot administrators at UT Austin are worthless and have been fired.

UT Austin lost me... I'm just an unimportant alum but I have been telling many others how to boycott UT Austin by pirating their content and the word is spreading. It's a forest fire indeed.

Think I'm full of crap? Take a peek at sportsbay.org. This is what the future is going to look like but it will be legal. The only profit will be advertising. The only thing I can't find on there is NCAA women's volleyball. I'm sure it's next to be added.

Last edited:
The distribution model for television programming is finished. It is over. Everything is accessible on the net for free. That is a large chunk of cash being wasted. What am I saying exactly? I am saying that large network contracts are worthless. When ESPN buys exclusive rights to SEC sports, they are paying the SEC to distribute SEC content. ESPN charges a pretty penny for viewers to buy their content. There is a problem.... Technology has rendered their middleman scheme worthless. I can watch anything for free online. They have no way to stop this and ESPN is bleeding out. The same will happen to FOX or anyone that believes they can be gate keepers for content. The conferences are getting kicked in the balls. The schools are getting kicked in the balls. And you guessed it, the players are going to get kicked in the balls.... all things university, pro, whatever are going to take a sizeable pay cut.

How does this relate to the above conversation? The pie is shrinking and player protests are driving away paying customers. The number of leeches is growing. The players are killing the sports business model. The NBA is in serious trouble. The other leagues are following suit. NCAA football is not immune.

The Universtiy of Texas is in serious trouble financially. The athletic department is broke. The athletic department is now in the hands of boosters. The boosters will be calling the shots for the foreseeable future or the AD will wither on the vine. The players are biting the hand that feeds them. If UT Austin loses its fanbase, the whole B12 goes down. While OU is winning and doing well now, it's really only a matter of time til they have the same issues.

UT Austin lost me... I'm just an unimportant alum but I have been telling many others how to boycott UT Austin by pirating their content and the word is spreading. A forest fire indeed.

Think I'm full of crap? Take a peek at sportsbay.org. This is what the future is going to look like but it will be legal. The only profit will be advertising. The only thing I can't find on there is NCAA women's volleyball. I'm sure it's next to be added.
I don't know enough about how the wheels go round and round in sports revenue, but most of what you say makes sense. However, there is something I don't understand. The organizations, whether it be NFL or NCAA, still have to allow TV cameras and broadcasting professionals into their stadiums to conduct a game with enough camera angles and talking head coverage to be fully entertaining. How do Fox/ESPN/ABC get squeezed out if they are the ones providing that service?

Those certainly are some words.

I’m not getting into the specifics of sociological theory, and I’m not going to have a debate on race. I think a lot of traditions are bad and need to change. I think OU should change its mascot because it represents the theft of land from indigenous people. Whether that influences anyone to play at OU or not is completely secondary. But I do want minority populations to feel welcome on campus. If Black people have a problem with the racist origins of a fight song, you should change it because it makes them feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. If that isn’t enough to persuade you, I’m saying you might also be motivated by the desire to win. Regardless of whether you think it is racist or not, Black athletes do. So you can change it, or you can send a message that they aren’t welcome and should go play elsewhere. That’s just reality,

Sooner fan would curb stomp their own grandma to win a game.

I don't know enough about how the wheels go round and round in sports revenue, but most of what you say makes sense. However, there is something I don't understand. The organizations, whether it be NFL or NCAA, still have to allow TV cameras and broadcasting professionals into their stadiums to conduct a game with enough camera angles and talking head coverage to be fully entertaining. How do Fox/ESPN/ABC get squeezed out if they are the ones providing that service?

The network customers (me) are getting their product for free (Sportsbay.org, Sportsurge, Redditt streams) while ESPN, FOX, ABC are overpaying in the hundreds of millions for NCAA distribution rights. They are going to go bankrupt. After ESPN, there will be broadcasting companies similar to radio broadcasts that work for the sports teams. The sports teams will earn revenue through advertising, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. but they won't be receiving huge distribution payouts as they do now. The new broadcasting companies will operate for pennies on the dollar compared to ESPN. ESPN charges customers of Dish, Direct TV, Camcost, Spectrum, etc upwards of $10 per TV set per month for their programming, lulz. Likewise, the sports teams will not make anything from distributors (conference contracts w/ESPN) which may be over 50% of their current revenue. They will be the distributors! The talking heads are going to be replaced by Youtube commentators. College Gameday is really a Youtube channel, they just don't know it yet. It's all going to meltdown soon.

ESPN=MTV

Last edited:
The irony is Austin is the most”woke” city in ... anywhere but Berkeley? If these guys are unhappy here - good luck in Tuscaloosa. Which is the point - Saban has the respect of his players. Herman doesn’t.
Great point. Most to all of these young athletes are willing to overlook these learned angry principles if it means that they get to be a part of something they value or has future value. Examples are, as you stated, being part of a legendary coach's program like Saban, a QB or WR wanting to be part of Riley's offense, a DL at Clemson. These athletes will acquiese because there is something more important to them personally. In Texas' defense, no other university has the obstacles of internal destruction that bite the hand that feeds.

The Eyes of Texas was never played at a Minstrel show. That is a falsehood that these BLM angry anarchists keep saying over and over. It is complete bullshvt.

ADVERTISEMENT