ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Football video game

JHop6714

Oct 31, 2016
Texas
This article on ESPN about those keeping the video game alive by updating with each years' custom rosters:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...aa-football-ea-sports-lives-five-years-demise

I personally have a copy of NCAA Football 13 for my PS3 which I play a few times a year to keep the game going. I understand why they stopped because of the lawsuit, but I don't understand why they haven't started up again. When you take a look at the details of the lawsuit (profiting off player's likenesses and traits) this seems like a very easy fix. Just release the game with all the IP's of the universities, as before, but have completely randomized rosters with random numbers, names, skin colors, weights, heights, and stats. That would eliminate everything related to the players and the game should be able to start up again immediately.

Funny..... millions of dollars awarded in that lawsuit and not one athlete got paid. But, it's about the "players", right?

Fvcking lying hypocritical c0cksuckers. I would personally knock the teeth out of those liars if I ever saw them in public.

Loosen up the mother scratching rules and pay the damn players for shit like this.

Clob, I'd be very interested in your take here. What is the issue with the local furniture company paying an athlete $2000 to do a commercial for their business?

Also, why does the NCAA get to use athletes in their commercials to promote their million dollar tournaments and not pay them a freaking nickel?

Reactions: dsutton_85
You are getting paid. Free home. Free food. Free books, tuition, first class seats on flights, health care, therapy, tutors, free, free, free. If you play at texas you're making basically $250,000 a year in the form of benefits. To live, eat, play, travel, do all that in austin costs big bucks.
Most athletic departments are in the red. The bottom tier bowl games pay so little that it actually costs you money to go.
Only the super rich athletic departments could afford to pay their athletes. If you give the football players money, you have to give the female gymnastics team the same dollar amount. Title 9 says so.

It can't be done...... simple math and economics says so.

Loosen up the mother scratching rules and pay the damn players for shit like this.

Clob, I'd be very interested in your take here. What is the issue with the local furniture company paying an athlete $2000 to do a commercial for their business?

Also, why does the NCAA get to use athletes in their commercials to promote their million dollar tournaments and not pay them a freaking nickel?

You are getting paid. Free home. Free food. Free books, tuition, first class seats on flights, health care, therapy, tutors, free, free, free. If you play at texas you're making basically $250,000 a year in the form of benefits. To live, eat, play, travel, do all that in austin costs big bucks.
Most athletic departments are in the red. The bottom tier bowl games pay so little that it actually costs you money to go.
Only the super rich athletic departments could afford to pay their athletes. If you give the football players money, you have to give the female gymnastics team the same dollar amount. Title 9 says so.

It can't be done...... simple math and economics says so.

And I agree with all of that 1000%.

What I'm asking is why can't Vince Young do a commercial ad for Austin's Furniture Depot and get paid?

Why can't Colt McCoy get paid for signing some football helmets?

Why can't EA Sports pay the players what they pay the NFL players for having them on a video game?

While I used to be on the same page as the your getting a few education so shut up, but as things have progressed I’ve kind of evolved on the subject.

I don’t think the answer is paying them directly, but I see absolutely no problem with treating them like every other student on campus. If a member of the band who was on scholarship writes a hit song, or something he’s allowed to make money and still attended school on his scholarship

If a business student hits with a startup he’s allowed to run that and still attend school and keep any scholarship money they have.

Why can’t you just let players make what they can? They want to sign autographs for a few hundred or if they want to sell their memorabilia. Why not?

At least this would be a way to regulate it as apposed to the handfuls of cash being handed out that we all know goes on.

And I agree with all of that 1000%.

What I'm asking is why can't Vince Young do a commercial ad for Austin's Furniture Depot and get paid?

Why can't Colt McCoy get paid for signing some football helmets?

Why can't EA Sports pay the players what they pay the NFL players for having them on a video game?
Because.... the SAME opportunities must be given to ALL athletes. When summer time comes around, ALL athletes approach the SID's office and tell the SID two things:

Yes, I will be living here this summer and I want a part time job provided to me by a booster.
No, I don't want a part time job.

I worked every summer while in college. Law firm, bank, investment group etc. All longhorn boosters.

The girls on the volleyball team had jobs too. So did the girls on the soccer team (that wanted them). If Vince goes and shoots a commercial that pays him $10,000 for his likeness, he can't wear his jersey, obviously, and Title 9 dictates that ALL athletes have to be given equal "opportunity". You are, to a certain extent, an employee of the university. They hold your "rights" under contract. You signed the contract.

Look in not saying it's a perfect system, but either we play college sports for what it is--- as representatives of our university in an amateur student athlete, or we drop college sports and let everyone turn pro out if highschool .

Because.... the SAME opportunities must be given to ALL athletes. When summer time comes around, ALL athletes approach the SID's office and tell the SID two things:

Yes, I will be living here this summer and I want a part time job provided to me by a booster.

I worked every summer while in college. Law firm, bank, investment group etc. All longhorn boosters.

The girls on the volleyball team had jobs too. So did the girls on the soccer team (that wanted them). If Vince goes and shoots a commercial that pays him $10,000 for his likeness, he can't wear his jersey, obviously, and Title 9 dictates that ALL athletes have to be given equal "opportunity". You are, to a certain extent, an employee of the university. They hold your "rights" under contract. You signed the contract.

Look in not saying it's a perfect system, but either we play college sports for what it is--- as representatives of our university in an amateur student athlete, or we drop college sports and let everyone turn pro out if highschool .
Technically Football is the only sport that doesn’t allow you to go out of HS(could go play basketball over seas for a year)

Would force the NFL to invest more in a developmental system. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing. They are basically using college as their developmental system which is part of the problem.

Reactions: weevilcatch

I know the rules. I'm saying it's outdated. I'm asking what the issue would be to allow this to happen? If Title IX is interpreted as to affect what a college athlete can and can't do in their free time then it isn't interpreted in a rightful way.

When I see that the NCAA surpasses the billion $ mark, conference commissioners have seen a 600-700% increase in salaries, and the likes of Jim Delaney getting a $20MM bonus -- something needs to change.

Technically Football is the only sport that doesn’t allow you to go out of HS(could go play basketball over seas for a year)

Would force the NFL to invest more in a developmental system. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing. They are basically using college as their developmental system which is part of the problem.

I've seen the "well football players can go play Arena football" or "basketball players can go overseas" arguments many times...and they're serious, lol.

The "nobody is making them play college football/basketball" spiel doesn't hold water. The moment any of them choose to do something else with their time they'll be labeled as ungrateful. Fans tell them that "if they don't like it, don't play" but the moment players go on strike they're called ungrateful. Fans are idiots.

I've seen the "well football players can go play Arena football" or "basketball players can go overseas" arguments many times...and they're serious, lol.

The "nobody is making them play college football/basketball" spiel doesn't hold water. The moment any of them choose to do something else with their time they'll be labeled as ungrateful. Fans tell them that "if they don't like it, don't play" but the moment players go on strike they're called ungrateful. Fans are idiots.
There have been several kids go play basketball overseas in the last couple years and it sounds like the nba is going to change the rules again back to being able to come out of HS.

The system needs to change no question. If we don’t want to compensate players then let’s cap what coaches make. If it’s really about education, and developing good men then Nick Saban doesn’t need 10 million a year. I mean think about it like this. Saban will make about 40 million from a players freshman to SR year. Even if he goes to the league. It will take him 2 contracts and 7-8 years to make what Nick Saban made in 4. Most college players will never even get close to that kind of money

The current system may of worked at one time. It doesn’t work anymore. It’s become too out of balance.

Holy ****balls. Here comes the long avoided detailed explanation as to why this won't ever work:

So,

Years ago there were certain "standards" the NCAA put into place to try and maintain the viability and appearance of amateur athletics. Before that, coaches would fly over football players houses and drop bags full of money into the kids back yard. (yes this happened)
There were no scholarship limitations, especially for football. Darrell royal handed out as many as they could afford. Heck, he'd offer a kid a scholly that he knew wasn't good enough to play, but was just good enough to help the help the other team, then the kid would be benched for four years. It was the wild west. As the 70s approached, a couple of little known congress folks got together and raised a concern:
"How come we have so many boys on scholarship for sports, and so few girls?"
The reply was: "girls don't play sports. Those that play, mostly suck at it compared to boys, and nobody watches chicks play sports anyway.... so they don't make any money or get any TV time..." <<---- All of which were completely valid arguments at the time.

Well, this little japanese lady born in this little village on a US territory, who was a fledgling congresswoman from Hawaii named Matsu
Mink wasn't hearing that noise.
"This isn't fair. Education is supposed to be fair."
So, she gets together with this senator from Indiana named Birch Bayh and gets Birch behind this bill because birch had a couple of little girls that were his kids and he was already championing things for women. So MAtsu ad Birch work together to get this bill written and introduced to congress..... in this bill it basically says, "for every dollar spent and every opportunity afford" to male athletes, any university that takes a dime of federal funding in any form has to spend the exact same amount and afford the exact same opporunity to female athletes. Period. Public school scrambled to rebudget. Private schools figured they could find a loop hole. They tried, but all failed.

Now, fast forward a few months. Instead of having 165 football schollies out there, Darrell was going to have to be a bit more picky about how many he handed out. Schools scrambled to create women's sports. Many of them turning to fed to help them with funding to do so. The law was allowed to be phased in because some schools simply didn't have the money. Texas, had zero problem. We were rich. But many schools had to drop sports and some had to drop their entire athletic department. Money shortfall.

Fast forward some more. Scholarships to football teams are cut to 85. Why? Because of money AND the rich continuing to get richer. Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, alabama-- were dominating the ncaa's most popular sport: football. Why? They're rich. They can afford to offer MORE schollies than Tulane. So they have an advantage. So, NCAA decides that if they cut the number to 85, there will be more athletes spread around to even the talent gap.
However, the rich (see above) still continued to get rich while the west virginia's, maryland's, Oregon states of the world struggled to rub two nickels together. So, another round of cuts were made at many schools to salvage their only money maker.... football. Men's wrestling, swimming, lacrosse were cut so they could make the same cuts to the women's side..... to save money. While down the road in College station, Jackie sherrell is giving jobs to kids that pay $400 an hour and Switzer is paying bosworth $500 a day to make sure the sprinklers turn on at the right time on the astroturf practice field............. Eric dickerson actually took a pay cut when he left SMU for the nfl.....

The NCAA gets serious, hands SMU the death penalty and then shakes the bloody knife at the rest of the schools and says "no more monkey business" and then fully ratchets down the title 9 laws.

(exhail)

So now we have the "haves and the have nots". The haves CAN afford to pay their athletes, all of them, if they wanted. The have nots, can't. It's that simple. You want all the kids only going to the schools that can pay their kids? That's what will happen.

It's easier to understand it like this:

The NCAA sports revenues are annually around 7 billion dollars. All in.... 7 bil.
There are 460,000 NCAA athletes at any given moment. This means that if you paid each athlete at each school in each sport those gross revenues they would each make a whopping $15,200 a year in salary.....

$15,200.............. now, can we once and for all please put this discussion to bed?

I know the rules. I'm saying it's outdated. I'm asking what the issue would be to allow this to happen? If Title IX is interpreted as to affect what a college athlete can and can't do in their free time then it isn't interpreted in a rightful way.

When I see that the NCAA surpasses the billion $ mark, conference commissioners have seen a 600-700% increase in salaries, and the likes of Jim Delaney getting a $20MM bonus -- something needs to change.

Holy shitballs is right clob. You can write all the condescending stories you wish, but we're not even talking the same point here. And by the by, I know the legislation clob.

When the bill was written, it had very little to do with college athletics. In fact I would venture to say it had NOTHING to do with college athletics.

With that said, players shouldn't be paid by the NCAA and schools, it can't happen. I've stated that many times. I used the salaries as an example of how ridiculous it is they're making millions on top of millions and it keeps going up -- meanwhile, players aren't allowed to make money for themselves.

What I'm saying is there is no reason why a player can't sign some helmets, do a commercial, get paid by EA sports for a video game, etc.

What I'm saying is there is no reason why a player can't sign some helmets, do a commercial, get paid by EA sports for a video game, etc.
First, wasn't being an a$$hole I'm simply saying to you that ALL student athletes are allowed to have part time jobs. Even during the season. It's a rule.
However, if you put a player on the cover of EA sports and they get PAID for that, then you HAVE to pay all the other 459,999 NCAA athletes as well because of Title 9. I mean, I may sound condescending but it's only because I've explained this a dozen times on this forum and there always seems to be someone that goes "ya..... but.... why?".

What you do for one athlete, you must do for all. It's the law. And yes, you're correct, the initial court cases that brought about title 9 were not directly related to athletics. Jackson vs birmingham BOE, Grove city College vs Bell, fraklin vs gwinnitt county, were all about sexual descrimination towards women. But not five minutes into drafting this bill, Matsu mink came to the realization that women were waaaaaay less represented as athletes than they were as regular students. I know this because one of my grandfather's war buddies served on the house committe on higher education in the 70s. I too, in the 90s had tons of questions about this rule and he described it to me in great detail on several occasions.

Holy shitballs is right clob. You can write all the condescending stories you wish, but we're not even talking the same point here. And by the by, I know the legislation clob.

When the bill was written, it had very little to do with college athletics. In fact I would venture to say it had NOTHING to do with college athletics.

With that said, players shouldn't be paid by the NCAA and schools, it can't happen. I've stated that many times. I used the salaries as an example of how ridiculous it is they're making millions on top of millions and it keeps going up -- meanwhile, players aren't allowed to make money for themselves.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
First, wasn't being an a$$hole I'm simply saying to you that ALL student athletes are allowed to have part time jobs. Even during the season. It's a rule.
However, if you put a player on the cover of EA sports and they get PAID for that, then you HAVE to pay all the other 459,999 NCAA athletes as well because of Title 9. I mean, I may sound condescending but it's only because I've explained this a dozen times on this forum and there always seems to be someone that goes "ya..... but.... why?".

What you do for one athlete, you must do for all. It's the law. And yes, you're correct, the initial court cases that brought about title 9 were not directly related to athletics. Jackson vs birmingham BOE, Grove city College vs Bell, fraklin vs gwinnitt county, were all about sexual descrimination towards women. But not five minutes into drafting this bill, Matsu mink came to the realization that women were waaaaaay less represented as athletes than they were as regular students. I know this because one of my grandfather's war buddies served on the house committe on higher education in the 70s. I too, in the 90s had tons of questions about this rule and he described it to me in great detail on several occasions.

Sports was maybe mentioned once in the initial hearings on the bill...and that was tongue in cheek joke.

All I'm saying is the legislation needs to be amended if that is the way it is interpreted by the powers that be.

There is no more inequality in paying a football player for a video game than how much money is spent on the football program already.

Thanks for the convo on this clob! Been stirring.

Last edited:
Holy ****balls. Here comes the long avoided detailed explanation as to why this won't ever work:

So,

Years ago there were certain "standards" the NCAA put into place to try and maintain the viability and appearance of amateur athletics. Before that, coaches would fly over football players houses and drop bags full of money into the kids back yard. (yes this happened)
There were no scholarship limitations, especially for football. Darrell royal handed out as many as they could afford. Heck, he'd offer a kid a scholly that he knew wasn't good enough to play, but was just good enough to help the help the other team, then the kid would be benched for four years. It was the wild west. As the 70s approached, a couple of little known congress folks got together and raised a concern:
"How come we have so many boys on scholarship for sports, and so few girls?"
The reply was: "girls don't play sports. Those that play, mostly suck at it compared to boys, and nobody watches chicks play sports anyway.... so they don't make any money or get any TV time..." <<---- All of which were completely valid arguments at the time.

Well, this little japanese lady born in this little village on a US territory, who was a fledgling congresswoman from Hawaii named Matsu
Mink wasn't hearing that noise.
"This isn't fair. Education is supposed to be fair."
So, she gets together with this senator from Indiana named Birch Bayh and gets Birch behind this bill because birch had a couple of little girls that were his kids and he was already championing things for women. So MAtsu ad Birch work together to get this bill written and introduced to congress..... in this bill it basically says, "for every dollar spent and every opportunity afford" to male athletes, any university that takes a dime of federal funding in any form has to spend the exact same amount and afford the exact same opporunity to female athletes. Period. Public school scrambled to rebudget. Private schools figured they could find a loop hole. They tried, but all failed.

Now, fast forward a few months. Instead of having 165 football schollies out there, Darrell was going to have to be a bit more picky about how many he handed out. Schools scrambled to create women's sports. Many of them turning to fed to help them with funding to do so. The law was allowed to be phased in because some schools simply didn't have the money. Texas, had zero problem. We were rich. But many schools had to drop sports and some had to drop their entire athletic department. Money shortfall.

Fast forward some more. Scholarships to football teams are cut to 85. Why? Because of money AND the rich continuing to get richer. Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, alabama-- were dominating the ncaa's most popular sport: football. Why? They're rich. They can afford to offer MORE schollies than Tulane. So they have an advantage. So, NCAA decides that if they cut the number to 85, there will be more athletes spread around to even the talent gap.
However, the rich (see above) still continued to get rich while the west virginia's, maryland's, Oregon states of the world struggled to rub two nickels together. So, another round of cuts were made at many schools to salvage their only money maker.... football. Men's wrestling, swimming, lacrosse were cut so they could make the same cuts to the women's side..... to save money. While down the road in College station, Jackie sherrell is giving jobs to kids that pay $400 an hour and Switzer is paying bosworth $500 a day to make sure the sprinklers turn on at the right time on the astroturf practice field............. Eric dickerson actually took a pay cut when he left SMU for the nfl.....

The NCAA gets serious, hands SMU the death penalty and then shakes the bloody knife at the rest of the schools and says "no more monkey business" and then fully ratchets down the title 9 laws.

(exhail)

So now we have the "haves and the have nots". The haves CAN afford to pay their athletes, all of them, if they wanted. The have nots, can't. It's that simple. You want all the kids only going to the schools that can pay their kids? That's what will happen.

It's easier to understand it like this:

The NCAA sports revenues are annually around 7 billion dollars. All in.... 7 bil.
There are 460,000 NCAA athletes at any given moment. This means that if you paid each athlete at each school in each sport those gross revenues they would each make a whopping $15,200 a year in salary.....

$15,200.............. now, can we once and for all please put this discussion to bed?

clob you forgot the new Tractor for their daddy!

Hook'em

I don’t think anyone is arguing whst the rules are and why they were put in place years ago. The fact is though that system is antiquated it doesn’t work anymore. You’ve got head coaches making 10 million dollars a year, asst coaches getting million dollar raises so they won’t twke head jobs at smaller schools, conferences signing billion dollar tv contracts all the while punishing its players(the revenue generators) for taking a free meal, or a few hundred bucks for their autograph.

That’s a system that was bound to break down eventually. College sports will have to come up with a new model, or it will die eventually.

I think the power 5 conferences need to eventually break off and do their own thing. Maybe absorb some mid majors that want to come along. Gotta stop making Texas and North Texas play by the same rules. They aren’t equals. Time to accept that.

Well, my initial point still remains -- if you had completely randomized rosters in the game, it would eliminate the entire problem. Everyone downloads rosters off the Internet anyway, so who cares. Easy enough, crank it out.

So I recently downloaded the updated 2018 roster and played a bit as Texas on my "new" PS3 NCAA Football 2014 game. My running plays go a lot farther with Daniel Young than with Watson, for whatever that's worth. What's strange is that despite the rosters being updateable, the strength of the teams overall and the layout of the conferences is locked in to how it was going in to the summer before the 2014 season. As such, Texas is ranked....#23. It's oddly prescient playing with today's team and being ranked #23 in the nation.

So I recently downloaded the updated 2018 roster and played a bit as Texas on my "new" PS3 NCAA Football 2014 game. My running plays go a lot farther with Daniel Young than with Watson, for whatever that's worth. What's strange is that despite the rosters being updateable, the strength of the teams overall and the layout of the conferences is locked in to how it was going in to the summer before the 2014 season. As such, Texas is ranked....#23. It's oddly prescient playing with today's team and being ranked #23 in the nation.
Stop playing your son's video game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT