ADVERTISEMENT

New football rules

JHop6714

Oct 31, 2016
Texas
NCAA FBS had new rules approved yesterday. One has to do with transfers and not being required to notify your coach. Honestly, I'm not sure I understand that one or how that works, or how it's different from before.

However, the new rules about redshirts I think is very significant. You can now play in 4 games a season and still keep your redshirt, and without requiring a medical waiver like before:
https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...otball-offer-more-participation-opportunities
I think this is huge in that it allows us to play our new freshman QBs in scrap games like Tulsa and Kansas, without any penalty on their eligibility. It'll also be huge come bowl season, what with so many players electing to skip bowl games now. We will have all our redshirt freshmen who spent the entire Fall working out and growing and preparing, able to step in and play.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
The transfer one is just so the non confrontational pvssy kids we are raising now, don't have to go and face the coaches that they made a commitment to. Kind of like leaving your bride at the alter. It's a chicken sh!t rule designed for kids with too much "anxiety".

The four game freshman rule will only benefit certain teams. Right now, we are not one of those teams.

Clob, love the first paragraph. Exactly right.

Second paragraph though, eh, not so much. Me personally, I think it would be huge to get Rising and Thompson some live game action this year, while keeping their RS, if one or both RS. Any RS DT, OL, DBs or RBs getting action while redshirting would also benefit us.

Clob, love the first paragraph. Exactly right.

Second paragraph though, eh, not so much. Me personally, I think it would be huge to get Rising and Thompson some live game action this year, while keeping their RS, if one or both RS. Any RS DT, OL, DBs or RBs getting action while redshirting would also benefit us.
Think about it...... are you going to play freshmen when games are close? No.

You're going to play them when it's 41-3 late in the 3rd quarter.

How many games will we be up by 5 scores in the third quarter this year? How many games will....... Alabama? Ohio state? Oregon? Clemson? Oklahoma? Unless you're already a high powered offensive team that can jump on teams early, you're not going to get to play as many freshmen as you would like. The more freshman you get to play starting next year, the bigger head start you will have on other teams........ and over time, the gap, theoretically widens.

Think about it...... are you going to play freshmen when games are close? No.

You're going to play them when it's 41-3 late in the 3rd quarter.

How many games will we be up by 5 scores in the third quarter this year? How many games will....... Alabama? Ohio state? Oregon? Clemson? Oklahoma? Unless you're already a high powered offensive team that can jump on teams early, you're not going to get to play as many freshmen as you would like. The more freshman you get to play starting next year, the bigger head start you will have on other teams........ and over time, the gap, theoretically widens.
Regardless, now we will be able to play our freshman against Tulsa, Kansas, maybe Maryland, maybe Iowa State, maybe Baylor, and definitely in the bowl game after some NFL prospects have 'opted out.' Perhaps this rule might benefit other schools more, but nevertheless it will be great to have that ability.

Fair point clob, I get it. Still, we don't really know. I mean, this offense could suddenly click and engineer a couple huge blowouts. Yeah if it did that would prove me wrong about either Sam or Shane, but it could happen.

I hope it does, because goddamnit I'm so sick of looking to the next QB. Ever since Colt it's been nothing but a bunch of CKs, one after another. Every f*cking year I find myself looking to next year for answers. Now my hopes are on Cam, or Kasey, and if they don't work out, already keeping a sharp eye on Roschon. Sick of it. Sick of curse of the CKs.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Fair point clob, I get it. Still, we don't really know. I mean, this offense could suddenly click and engineer a couple huge blowouts. Yeah if it did that would prove me wrong about either Sam or Shane, but it could happen.

I hope it does, because goddamnit I'm so sick of looking to the next QB. Ever since Colt it's been nothing but a bunch of CKs, one after another. Every f*cking year I find myself looking to next year for answers. Now my hopes are on Cam, or Kasey, and if they don't work out, already keeping a sharp eye on Roschon. Sick of it. Sick of curse of the CKs.
Of course we want some blow outs. Tulane, we will likely see several freshman playing. Kansas would be another opportunity.

Doesn't do much for Swoops that night in Ft. Worth at TCU, one play and his shirt was gone.for nothing...

Hook'em

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT