ADVERTISEMENT

NIL guidelines

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
Now I'm starting to realize why Jimbo came out around National Signing Day and gave his best Baghdad Bob impression while declaring "move along, nothing to see here, NIL has NOTHING to do with why we are out recruiting Bama etc. despite having not won anything. Kids are buying into our culture(not to mention our funny money from boosters)".
A&M should prepare thine collective anuses to be dealt with retroactively. I smell a rat and so does the NCAA

The Division I Board of Directors on Monday issued guidance to schools regarding the intersection between recruiting activities and the name, image and likeness environment.

Board members emphasized a continued support for the ability of student-athletes to benefit from their name, image and likeness. The guidance is intended to provide clarity for those engaging in a rapidly evolving NIL environment, acknowledging that the environment will continue to evolve, and ongoing attention will be needed to ensure student-athletes are able to benefit from these opportunities.

The guidance was developed by a task force of national leaders with student-athlete opportunity at the forefront of discussions. Specifically, the guidance defines as a booster any third-party entity that promotes an athletics program, assists with recruiting or assists with providing benefits to recruits, enrolled student-athletes or their family members. The definition could include "collectives" set up to funnel name, image and likeness deals to prospective student-athletes or enrolled student-athletes who might be considering transferring. NCAA recruiting rules preclude boosters from recruiting and/or providing benefits to prospective student-athletes.

The guidance is effective immediately. For violations that occurred prior to May 9, 2022, the board directed the enforcement staff to review the facts of individual cases but to pursue only those actions that clearly are contrary to the published interim policy, including the most severe violations of recruiting rules or payment for athletics performance. Schools are reminded of their obligation to report any potential violations through the traditional self-reporting process.

"Today, the Division I Board of Directors took a significant first step to address some of the challenges and improper behaviors that exist in the name, image and likeness environment that may violate our long-established recruiting rules. While the NCAA may pursue the most outrageous violations that were clearly contrary to the interim policy adopted last summer, our focus is on the future. The new guidance establishes a common set of expectations for the Division I institutions moving forward, and the board expects all Division I institutions to follow our recruiting rules and operate within these reasonable expectations," said board chair Jere Morehead, president, University of Georgia.

The board noted that the emphasis of this NIL guidance is on boosters in the recruiting process and is not intended to question the eligibility of prospective and enrolled student-athletes involved in NIL deals. Only the most serious actions that clearly violate the previously published interim policy would have eligibility implications.

The board adopted the interim guidance last summer with an understanding that they would consider further guidance as the name, image and likeness environment developed. This additional guidance is appropriate now as there is better understanding about the impact on student-athletes. Board members also urged schools to investigate, detect and self-report violations and cooperate with the NCAA enforcement staff as they investigate.

Board members acknowledged that more work must be done and asked the Division I Council to continue exploring additional measures to better ensure name, image and likeness opportunities align with NCAA values and protect the well-being of student-athletes.

Reactions: oldhorn2
This video came out a couple of months ago right after National signing day but I just have to post it again. The guy narrating it does a good job. Jimbo is such a miserable liar and I’d be embarrassed as hell if Venables did something like this. Jimbo absolutely denies any funds are being paid to recruits LOL what a lying sack, and for what reason is he lying about it? He’s not fooling anyone. He wants to find out who sliced bread is to confront him about this next he’ll want to dig up Corn Pop and fight him

Reactions: Drtxhorn
This will be for future "potential" enforcement. NIL collectives need to be separate and uninvolved with the university's efforts to recruit players. That ain't happening now. If I'm an Aggy booster I'd be very nervous about this. Word on the street is they were actively coordinating with the coaching staff, administrators and recruits. That's a no no. Once a player is committed and onboard, then NIL is good to go in and make deals. There can't be coordination between the collective and the university in recruiting players.

I agree there should be punishment for schools who actively recruit players who are under scholarship and not in the transfer portal. Those penalties should be steep and severe to the school and to the collectives run by boosters.

The NCAA is on life support, and they're toothless. Simply trying to keep the money train on the tracks as long as they can. They aren't going to go after anybody that has any pull whatsoever. LSU/Will wade and Kansas/Bill self told them to kick sand... And they did. They SURE aren't going after secsec football. UNLESS....

UNLESS... Other key members, particularly other key members AND FUTURE MEMBERS of secsec football have insisted they throw down the gauntlet on somebody. I could see this coming from Austin and Tuscaloosa and Gainesville, and the NCAA carrying out their matching orders.

Exactly. NCAA has to be very careful. Any moves they make that could be broadly interpreted to limit an athlete’s ability to earn NIL income will be met with a swift class action case. It would be filed immediately. Attorneys are waiting and salivating over the jackpot that could generate. NCAA needs to tread carefully on this one.

Reasonable rules and guidelines should be what everyone seeks. If a player is not committed or is in the transfer portal they’re fair game. It’s unacceptable to recruit players who are not in the portal.

Reactions: westx and DHHorn
The NCAA doesn't have a lot of options. The essentially redefined what a booster is to include these collectives that have popped up. Enforcement would be extremely difficult. Kid signs agent. Agent reaches out to whoever to determine what his client could earn. Agent goes back and discusses options with client.

For example State U boosters LLC holds regular autograph signing sessions and pays athletes at State U appearance fees to show up at said events. Agent gets in contact and ask know much would my guy make per session and how many sessions would he get per year. Or group contacts agent and says your guy would be paid this much and get a minimum of 4 sessions per year. If the NCAA tried to sanction a group for something like that they would lose badly.

The only way they control this is if they to congress so they can set up some uniform guidelines. However based on the supreme court ruling they wouldn't be able to do much.

However this won't be a problem for too long. The top 40 or so college football teams are going to break off and form their own league which is going to end up being University affiliated professional teams.

The NCAA doesn't have a lot of options. The essentially redefined what a booster is to include these collectives that have popped up. Enforcement would be extremely difficult. Kid signs agent. Agent reaches out to whoever to determine what his client could earn. Agent goes back and discusses options with client.

For example State U boosters LLC holds regular autograph signing sessions and pays athletes at State U appearance fees to show up at said events. Agent gets in contact and ask know much would my guy make per session and how many sessions would he get per year. Or group contacts agent and says your guy would be paid this much and get a minimum of 4 sessions per year. If the NCAA tried to sanction a group for something like that they would lose badly.

The only way they control this is if they to congress so they can set up some uniform guidelines. However based on the supreme court ruling they wouldn't be able to do much.

However this won't be a problem for too long. The top 40 or so college football teams are going to break off and form their own league which is going to end up being University affiliated professional teams.
This is interesting. If this happens then you essentially have another professional football league but with college students. Collective bargaining would then be next and the players would demand they share in all revenue generated including TV, radio and internet broadcast rights. The NCAA would then be deemed irrelevant. At that point it would make sense for the NFL to partner with the new professional college league so they can have some control over the development of players and coaches. It could be an official development league for the NFL. You would still need to have rules to level the playing field like a salary cap and draft. Schools would need actual GM’s and professional scouting departments. I’m not sure if college football fans are ready for that.

This video came out a couple of months ago right after National signing day but I just have to post it again. The guy narrating it does a good job. Jimbo is such a miserable liar and I’d be embarrassed as hell if Venables did something like this. Jimbo absolutely denies any funds are being paid to recruits LOL what a lying sack, and for what reason is he lying about it? He’s not fooling anyone. He wants to find out who sliced bread is to confront him about this next he’ll want to dig up Corn Pop and fight him

Jimbo has a framed certificate from ‘The Joe Biden School of Doublespeak and MumboJumbo’ hanging on his Pyle Field office wall.

It's over. I warned all you muh fuggas before this came down the pipe.

I told you --"if you think the nuclear arms race between the Soviets and Americans was nuts, wait until you see the NIL arms race".

Well, here we are.

Ask me what Arch Manning's people are asking for.

Go ahead, ask me.

5 mil

Reactions: Belldozer1

I told you --"if you think the nuclear arms race between the Soviets and Americans was nuts, wait until you see the NIL arms race".

Well, here we are.

Go ahead, ask me.

5 mil
As much as I liked Neon Deion as a player I kind of dislike him as a coach but he brought up a good point yesterday. He brought up the notion that now you have to put up with kids and their egos since a lot of them are making more than the coaches.

Here’s what I’ve noticed and I may be way off here but I’ve been tuning into recruiting a little more this year due to the obvious. If you go to the Rivals recruiting page and click on receivers or rb’s or any category really it appears to me that the recruiting of the top players is really still wide open more so than I recall in recent years.

I assume a lot of these players are just going to sit back until NSD and see what the players around their ranking are being offered and negotiate from there? Am I wrong? This is going to be dumb.
And btw Deion sure didn’t have a problem with NIL when convincing the No. 1 recruit to sign with his team.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustAHorn88

Well, here we are.

Go ahead, ask me.

5 mil
Teams just can’t do that imo, that’s ridiculous. And people were speculating that paying the star qb a $100,000 NIL may cause problems in the locker room what would $5 mil. Cause?

Teams just can’t do that imo, that’s ridiculous. And people were speculating that paying the star qb a $100,000 NIL may cause problems in the locker room what would $5 mil. Cause?

So this brings up an interesting point do you remember when Bradford and Colt both had insurances of a 1 million if they got hurt or didn't make it to the NFL.....if this doesn't sound right someone else please correct me

Reactions: westx
So this brings up an interesting point do you remember when Bradford and Colt both had insurances of a 1 million if they got hurt or didn't make it to the NFL.....if this doesn't sound right someone else please correct me
Looks like Colt had a policy that paid between 3 and 5 million if he would have had a career ending injury. I would hate to see what the payments were on that thing.

Well, here we are.

Go ahead, ask me.

5 mil
I’m surprised it’s not higher. Keep in mind that the Lambo dealership that gave Bijan his NIL deal is owned by Red McCombs. Red is all in when it comes to NIL. He reportedly offered $3 mil to Jordan Addison this week. He’ll meet Arch’s demand for sure plus free use of a Lambo or F250 if that’s what he wants.

Stupid me! I thought I could take solice in college football in this crazy World. Going to hell it seems, like everything else. Where are you Darrell Royal!

Reactions: westx
Stupid me! I thought I could take solice in college football in this crazy World. Going to hell it seems, like everything else. Where are you Darrell Royal!
If you're a Texas fan then you should like this. This is our time to be relevant again. This NIL stuff plays right into our hands with all the money our boosters and alumni have to throw around.

Reactions: diadevic
If you're a Texas fan then you should like this. This is our time to be relevant again. This NIL stuff plays right into our hands with all the money our boosters and alumni have to throw around.
I'll try to look at it that way.

The Yankees of college football......

Yip
Pee

The Yankees of college football......

Yip
Pee
What does it matter anymore? Play the cards you're dealt and stack the pot as much as you can. Yankees have won a lot of games and a few WS following this model. Wouldn't you love to be Cashman? A blank check every year to try and win the prize.

Darrell Royal got out of the game when it became obvious that recruiting was just going to be a money toss. He and Broyles couldnt take it anymore.

I honestly believe that had DKR been it his prime today, he would have become a pro golfer and left coaching without a look back.

Reactions: okiehorn
Darrell Royal got out of the game when it became obvious that recruiting was just going to be a money toss. He and Broyles couldnt take it anymore.

I honestly believe that had DKR been it his prime today, he would have become a pro golfer and left coaching without a look back.
Players have been getting paid long before NIL. The only difference now is it's legal and out in the open.

Players have been getting paid long before NIL. The only difference now is it's legal and out in the open.
I would love to know the depths of recruiting pay and violations that the SEC has been doing for the past 20 years. I know it happens everywhere, but it just seems that it has been on a whole other level over there including the protection. Remember the Ole Miss lineman? From what I remember, there was no investigarion whatsoever, even after broadcasting it on live tv in front if the sportsworld.

Reactions: Hoookem722
I would love to know the depths of recruiting pay and violations that the SEC has been doing for the past 20 years. I know it happens everywhere, but it just seems that it has been on a whole other level over there including the protection. Remember the Ole Miss lineman? From what I remember, there was no investigarion whatsoever, even after broadcasting it on live tv in front if the sportsworld.
If I ever write a book, I'll tell you all about my official visit to Georgia.

• Wow
Reactions: westx and freeper
ADVERTISEMENT