ADVERTISEMENT

Off topic: Student loan debt

Drtxhorn

Feb 13, 2016
New Braunfels
Reactions: westx
Years ago we were told that you couldn't make it in life without a college degree. And, for the most part, college educated people made and make more money than those that don't have a degree.

Of course, you have your outliers. Bill gates, Michael Dell, Mark Zuckerberg etc-- are some of the wealthiest people in the world.

Then one day, universities realized that they don't need to JUST pull from domestic talent. They could pull from international talent. They thought that they could bring asian, Indian, African ppl here, charge their governments big money for their tuition and those kids would like it so much in America, that they'd stay. But many didn't. They went home and used our business and science knowledge against us.

So prices went up for everybody. Universities started lowering work load. They added fluff degrees. They bought real estate up around campus (because it was cheaper to live off campus than on, and now schools make money off of both). And now most schools have become diploma factories.

What I find funny now is, if you know how to be a plumber, electrician, welder, or even a big rig driver, you can make 6 figures with zero problem.

Last edited:
It was a scam from the beginning just like all the bullshit online degrees pushed on television these days.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Years ago we were told that you couldn't make it in life without a college degree. And, for the most part, college educated people made and make more knee than those that don't have a degree.

Of course, you have your outliers. Bill gates, Michael Dell, Mark Zuckerberg etc-- are some of the wealthiest people in the world.

Then one day, universities realized that they don't need to JUST pull from domestic talent. They could pull from international talent. They thought that they could bring asian, Indian, African ppl here, charge their governments big money for their tuition and those kids would like it so kuch in America, that they'd stay. But many didn't. They went home and used our business and science knowledge against us.

So prices went up for everybody. Universities started lowering work load. They added fluff degrees. They bought real estate up around campus (because it was cheaper to live off campus than on, and now schools make money off of both). And now most schools have become diploma factories.

What I find funny now is, if you know how to be a plumber, electrician, welder, or even a big rig driver, you can make 6 figures with zero problem.
My plumber in New Braunfels started his company just two years after graduating from Canyon HS in the early 1980's He never went to college and just focused on his craft. His company is one of the most successful plumbing businesses in the NB and SA areas. He's a multimillionaire many times over and likes to brag that he has no college degree but he has a lot of people working for him that do have degrees.

Years ago we were told that you couldn't make it in life without a college degree. And, for the most part, college educated people made and make more knee than those that don't have a degree.

Then one day, universities realized that they don't need to JUST pull from domestic talent. They could pull from international talent. They thought that they could bring asian, Indian, African ppl here, charge their governments big money for their tuition and those kids would like it so kuch in America, that they'd stay. But many didn't. They went home and used our business and science knowledge against us.

Damn right, trades are making damn good money in the housing market and really always have except in a recession. Who cares if you have a plumber’s crack?

My plumber in New Braunfels started his company just two years after graduating from Canyon HS in the early 1980's He never went to college and just focused on his craft. His company is one of the most successful plumbing businesses in the NB and SA areas. He's a multimillionaire many times over and likes to brag that he has no college degree but he has a lot of people working for him that do have degrees.
I have daughters and unfortunately for them there aren’t many trades for them other than one and uh I’m not pushing them in that direction so I’m helping pay for college

I hope nobody on this board accumulated this much student loan debt. This is insane! The worst part of this is NOBODY has ever attempted to hold colleges and universities accountable for this.

I worked with a guy in the mid 90’s who had just graduated law school. He owed $110,000 and his monthly student loan payment was $700: we were both making about $45,000/yr and I remember thinking damn that’s a lot of money that he owes. To this day he has never put that law degree to use other than to try to debate everyone in the office.:rolleyes:

Stem have some worth and maybe accounting but the rest are worthless. If one goes the stem route, there is a very very low cost route. I would not take the brick and mortar route unless everything is paid. Including room and board, food, spending money, etc....

I worked with a guy in the mid 90’s who had just graduated law school. He owed $110,000 and his monthly student loan payment was $700: we were both making about $45,000/yr and I remember thinking damn that’s a lot of money that he owes. To this day he has never put that law degree to use other than to try to debate everyone in the office.:rolleyes:
I wonder if he passed the bar exam. Hillary, Michelle Obama, and VP Harris all failed their first try. In Hillary and Michelle's cases after an Ivy League degree.

Reactions: Belldozer1
when I graduated HS in 1965 I think a McDonals franchise might have been about $15,000....Had my Dad bought that instead of sending me to UT we might have both ended up with lots more money....

Stem have some worth and maybe accounting but the rest are worthless. If one goes the stem route, there is a very very low cost route. I would not take the brick and mortar route unless everything is paid. Including room and board, food, spending money, etc....
Oh it's no longer "STEM". It's now STEAM. Ya, they added Arts to it.

I wonder if he passed the bar exam. Hillary, Michelle Obama, and VP Harris all failed their first try. In Hillary and Michelle's cases after an Ivy League degree.
And Kamala can't blame failing the BAR exam on being distracted by Willie Brown and the under the desk mouth hugs she was administering. Maybe she'll blame it on all the weed she was smoking while listening to Snoop Dog and Tupac in 1990.......... oh.... wait...

Oh it's no longer "STEM". It's now STEAM. Ya, they added Arts to it.
Ya, that's a pile of steaming crap. The only art that is worthwhile is the kind that is limited in supply. My wife's grandmother was an excellent artist. I asked her if she sold her stuff. She replied, " it's not worth anything til you are dead". Supply and demand...... There's some worthless econ for ya...

And Kamala can't blame failing the BAR exam on being distracted by Willie Brown and the under the desk mouth hugs she was administering. Maybe she'll blame it on all the weed she was smoking while listening to Snoop Dog and Tupac in 1990.......... oh.... wait...
I can't stop laughing.

You think Kamala is jealous of Monica? Gotta be a little jealous.

Ya, that's a pile of steaming crap. The only art that is worthwhile is the kind that is limited in supply. My wife's grandmother was an excellent artist. I asked her if she sold her stuff. She replied, " it's not worth anything til you are dead". Supply and demand...... There's some worthless econ for ya...

It is if you are the greasy son of the most corrupt President we've ever seen

Years ago we were told that you couldn't make it in life without a college degree. And, for the most part, college educated people made and make more money than those that don't have a degree.

Then one day, universities realized that they don't need to JUST pull from domestic talent. They could pull from international talent. They thought that they could bring asian, Indian, African ppl here, charge their governments big money for their tuition and those kids would like it so much in America, that they'd stay. But many didn't. They went home and used our business and science knowledge against us.

Many kids now pay huge prices so they can party, join a frat/sor, and go to football games lol. And then bitch about not getting a job with their gender studies degree having racked up 150k in debt. Now they hope Sleepy Joe will void their terrible financial decision.

Reactions: OldHornInPA
when I graduated HS in 1965 I think a McDonals franchise might have been about $15,000....Had my Dad bought that instead of sending me to UT we might have both ended up with lots more money....

This is so true and kind of depressing. I’ve gotten to the point where I want to do the opposite of my parents on stuff like this. Invested my second stimmy in stocks and cryptos. Next round of handouts I may buy into some fast food places or something.

This is so true and kind of depressing. I’ve gotten to the point where I want to do the opposite of my parents on stuff like this. Invested my second stimmy in stocks and cryptos. Next round of handouts I may buy into some fast food places or something.
Primers.
Gun powder.
Brass.

It is if you are the greasy son of the most corrupt President we've ever seen
Good one Bell. Now WH trying to make sure his artist clients are "anonymous."Since they no doubt will be from China or Russia. Best comment of all on the Babylon Bee site today. Major, the WH dog, selling his feces picture on the WH lawn for a bargain price of $350K. Made my day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT