ADVERTISEMENT

****Offical Texas Baseball Thread****

Haven't followed the team since last year. Who do we think will be our starting rotation and are there any new comers?

From Hornsports thread:

Look for a starting rotation including RS Sophomore Pete Hansen (1.88 ERA), Sophomore Tanner Witt (3.16 ERA), and RS Senior Tristan Stevens (ERA 3.31). Aaron Nixon will be the likely closer (2.12 ERA with 1 strike out per inning). Andre Duplantier showed a lot of promise 2 years ago after missing last year due to surgery. Jared Southard threw 10 perfect innings in relief (12 appearances). Lucas Gordon was also an effective reliever, 3.32 ERA over 21 innings. Coy Cobb has a lot of experience but has not been as effective after a solid freshmen year.

Joshua Stewart joins the team this year as a highly touted freshmen.

From Hornsports thread:

Look for a starting rotation including RS Sophomore Pete Hansen (1.88 ERA), Sophomore Tanner Witt (3.16 ERA), and RS Senior Tristan Stevens (ERA 3.31). Aaron Nixon will be the likely closer (2.12 ERA with 1 strike out per inning). Andre Duplantier showed a lot of promise 2 years ago after missing last year due to surgery. Jared Southard threw 10 perfect innings in relief (12 appearances). Lucas Gordon was also an effective reliever, 3.32 ERA over 21 innings. Coy Cobb has a lot of experience but has not been as effective after a solid freshmen year.

Joshua Stewart joins the team this year as a highly touted freshmen.
What can we expect from the batting side?

The University of Texas is ranked No. 1 in Collegiate Baseball’s Fabulous 50 NCAA Division I pre-season baseball poll presented by Big League Chew bubble gum.

Last season the Longhorns finished third at the College World Series and return seven position player starters and a stable of incredible pitchers including four Collegiate Baseball Pre-Season All-Americans in LHP Pete Hansen (7-5, 2.45 ERA, 80 K, 23 BB), RHP Tristan Stevens (11-3, 3.31 ERA, 77 K, 23 BB), RHP Tanner Witt (5-0, 5 SV, 3.16 ERA, 28 AP, 73 K, 25 BB) and relief pitcher Aaron Nixon (9 SV, 4-3, 2.12 ERA, 27 AP, 35 K, 10 BB).

Texas features a number of other superb pitchers as well.

Last season the Longhorns led the nation with a team ERA of 2.93 and were fourth in hits allowed per nine innings by their staff (7.05).

The Longhorns also return a talented defense that had the 10th best fielding percentage in the nation at .980. Texas had the second most double plays of any NCAA Division I team in the nation with 57.

One of the top defensive catchers in the nation is back in Silas Ardoin. In 48 base stealing attempts last season, he threw out 20 runners.

Offensively, Texas is led by Collegiate Baseball pre-season All-Americans 1B Ivan Melendez (.319, 13 HR, 13 2B, 51 RBI), 2B Mitchell Daly (.316, 15 2B, 31 RBI) and SS Trey Faltine (.249, 5 HR, 18 2B, 37 RBI).

Texas led the nation in walks on offense with 379 and were hit by pitches 74 times which helped Longhorn hitters have an impressive on-base percentage of .394. The Longhorns were skilled at small ball with 51 sacrifice bunts which ranked sixth in the nation. Texas has the ability to score runs in multiple ways (6.7 runs per game last season).

The Longhorns also have a number of pro prospects on the team led by Hansen, Melendez, Faltine and Ardoin who could all be chosen in the top five rounds of the 2022 MLB Draft.

When you factor in a superb 18-man recruiting class that came in last fall, it is yet another reason Texas is the favorite to win it all in 2022. The class features 9 freshmen, 4 junior college transfers and five 4-year transfers.

Texas lands 7 on preseason All-American team

2022 Signing class bios

I've been watching Texas baseball for many years. This team has a chance to be special. This roster is loaded and has depth at all positions. The incoming recruiting class is very, very talented. It will probably be a year or two before those kids start producing, but the 2022 class is one of the best that Texas has signed in years.

Reactions: westx
Texas lands 7 on preseason All-American team

2022 Signing class bios

I've been watching Texas baseball for many years. This team has a chance to be special. This roster is loaded and has depth at all positions. The incoming recruiting class is very, very talented. It will probably be a year or two before those kids start producing, but the 2022 class is one of the best that Texas has signed in years.

A few of the pitchers should be contributing right away. There is always a bat that comes out of nowhere.

Ok, college football season is in the rearview mirror. Baseball season starts three weeks from today against Rice with a three-game series in Austin. Texas is ranked #1 in the nation. I don't know about y'all, but I'm pumped about Texas baseball!! Last year's team was good, but this team is loaded and could be, and should be better than that team. Omaha or bust!

Hook'em!

i took a peek at the schedule. Some notable non-conference games are home vs alabama in late February, away vs S Carolina in March and home for one game against aggy in late March.

I want to talk about the back-up position players. Texas seems to have depth in the outfield. 3 catchers; O’Dowd; Stehly; and Whitehead.

First game is tonight against Rice at 6:30 on LHN. I believe Hanson is on the mound. Let's go Horns!

Reactions: Oldmanastro
I'm streaming Coastal Bend and Western Oklahoma on TSRN to prepare. An old buddy of mine is doing the play by play.

273825098_947694515883223_1703575053652978127_n.jpg

Taking care of business tonight. Up 7-0 in bottom of 5th.
Fundamentals the key.
And good pitching.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeper
I still can't figure out if Rice is good or not. But our catcher almost hit for the cycle tonight so seeing his bat come alive is exciting and Faltine got his first triple tonight as a Horn! If our bats can stay live all year we will get our 7th!

Hook 'Em

I agree that it's too early to tell about how good Rice is or not. However, that was about as impressive of a first game from Texas that I've seen in many, many years.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Why do we have our DH batting 7th?

Well, the lineup is stacked. They were commenting on the DH batting last night. They said that it was like having a #1 hitter in the 9-spot. Coach Pierce will most likely adjust the batting order as the season moves on.

Well, the lineup is stacked. They were commenting on the DH batting last night. They said that it was like having a #1 hitter in the 9-spot. Coach Pierce will most likely adjust the batting order as the season moves on.

Exactly this lineup won't be like this when the Big 12 tournament starts

Rice may be terrible but we’ve looked really good. I don’t see any holes in this lineup, and if some appear we have guys ready to step in. Like last year it’s going to be very hard to beat us in a three game series.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT