ADVERTISEMENT

Official Texas Football Spring Practice thread

Baylor lost 21 of their 22 starters if I remember correctly. Iowa St. lost Purdy, Kolar, and Hall. Ok. St.'s defense lost something like 8 starters I believe. OU got hit hard with transfers and graduation. I really think we have a good shot at making some noise in the conference next year. I don't see us finishing worse than 4th with all the attrition the top teams from last year have experienced.

Call me crazy but i'm just not sold on Venables coming in and winning the conference in his first year. I just don't see it with their roster.
How many starters does Kansas have coming back? We need them to have a down year.

I want to agree with you, but......lol
I can definitely understand not wanting to buy in because i'm in the same boat. I just look at our roster in comparison to other teams around the conference and there's no reason we shouldn't contend for the conference title this season. Football games aren't won on paper though lol.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I mean, congratulations on cleaning the clock of the 5'10 195 pound high school linebacker...... I guess....
I mean there's tons of other tape out there of him dominating guys his size if you go watch....

The first part of those highlights are against Katy. They had some studs on defense last season.

Last edited:
I mean there's tons of other tape out there of him dominating guys his size if you go watch....

The first part of those highlights are against Katy. They had some studs on defense last season.
Looks like he's strong. A little slow footed but that's to be expected as he's young. You can see every time he's going to run the tackle trap because he cheats back from the LOS to get clear of the guard. Can't believe nobody on the other team didn't pick up on that. He keeps his legs moving. Has decent drive. Gets a little high at times (young). His kick step will need some work. Gets a little high in his rocking chair on pass block (young). Punch seems good. He's raw, but he's definitely got talent.

Looks like he's strong. A little slow footed but that's to be expected as he's young. You can see every time he's going to run the tackle trap because he cheats back from the LOS to get clear of the guard. Can't believe nobody on the other team didn't pick up on that. He keeps his legs moving. Has decent drive. Gets a little high at times (young). His kick step will need some work. Gets a little high in his rocking chair on pass block (young). Punch seems good. He's raw, but he's definitely got talent.
Better than anything we had on the roster from last season from what I can see. He has power but needs to work on his footwork.

In my opinion Devon Campbell is a more polished player. He's more athletic than Banks and has tons of power to play inside at guard.

This is pretty spot on and saved me the trouble, lol.

The only thing we can hope is that he is coachable and has some kinesthetic intelligence to be adaptable. If he does, then he will be a monster early. If not, might be another bust.

Wha?? I just saw that we are predicted to finish 5th in conference. The predictors need to get their shit together.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gs-oklahoma-oklahoma-state-baylor/7358417001/

Where did you see that ranking?

Espn: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...ball-rankings-espn-top-25-2022-preseason-poll
It was on a Thursday April 14th to be exact when I got the alert. Here you go.....

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...PN-releases-preseason-FPI-for-2022-186155270/

I can definitely understand not wanting to buy in because i'm in the same boat. I just look at our roster in comparison to other teams around the conference and there's no reason we shouldn't contend for the conference title this season. Football games aren't won on paper though lol.
We could’ve made the same argument all of the recent years when we’ve had Top 10 recruiting classes. I won’t buy in until I see the wins in recruiting battles translate to wins on the field.

Last edited:
We could’ve made the same argument all of the recent years when we’ve had Top 10 recruiting classes. I won’t buy in until I see the wins in recruiting battles translate to wins on the field.
We haven’t had a 5 star offensive line recruit since 2008. We pulled 2 this last class. Also haven’t had a QB of Ewers caliber since VY. Those 2 things right there are what give me some optimism. I’m still thinking the defense is going to be pretty bad though. I think NIL is going to be what helps revive our football program.

We haven’t had a 5 star offensive line recruit since 2008. We pulled 2 this last class. Also haven’t had a QB of Ewers caliber since VY. Those 2 things right there are what give me some optimism. I’m still thinking the defense is going to be pretty bad though. I think NIL is going to be what helps revive our footb
Look how many top 5 recruiting classes have we had since the RB loss to AL?

The only thing that will revive our football program is good coaches. Period.

Reactions: westx
ADVERTISEMENT