ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma forcing out Boren

Denial? How do you come up with that? We fired the President, the AD and the Coach, basically burning the program. Several other long time administrators have been given the boot. In effect we did everything short of giving ourselves the death penalty - not sure what much else there is to do.
You're going to keep getting flack for baylor until the general public feels as though you've been handed a blow that is almost impossible to recover from.

That hasn't happened yet. After the Title 9 investigations are over, you'll likely have baylor's head on the chopping block. At that point, public sentiment will be " Ok, ok, you've all but cratered baylor. Give them just enough air to breath and let's move on."

They are isolated and alone. They have no pipeline to recruit. At least tosu, mich, and penn st. have reasonable recruiting environments within their respective states with little to no competition. Nebraska, not so much. They are basically Wyoming now.
20 years ago my Nebraska buddy told me this:

With the mega-farmers like conagra etc coming in here and buying all the mom and pop farms up, Nebraska farm kids that are built like tanks will move into the suburbs and end up being like every other kid- lazy. Gone will be out huge walk on program and our ability to always have fresh bodies for practice, and the occasional walk on that becomes all conference."

He was right.

the govt and the death tax broke up the family farm. A farm could no longer be passed down(54% death tax all up front) They had to be sold to the conagras and such just to pay the tax on em. It did shut down the "walk on" pipeline that allowed those rich farmers to send their sons to play for Tom and they pay the bill...to give those schollies to Texas kids and such....but I digress...none the less the friend was very correct Clob.

I would love to see all conferences shaken up/realigned and create five new regional/geographic conferences that make sense logistically. Texas going to the Pac 12 or ACC makes no sense logistically.
And I'd like to see gerrymandering go away. But it isn't.

I agree strongly with the sentiment, though, FWIW. Conferences ought to make sense in terms of geography & culture. But this kind of argument lends to Texas staying in the Big 12, which may not survive. If it doesn't, Texas needs to go somewhere.

We can play in the winter in Mich and Minnesota easier than they can play early September here.
are you on dope or dogfood? do you think its going to be any easier for us to go to ann arbor in november and play a night game with the temp at 20 and the wind blowing 20-30mph?

The only way the PAC deal would even look somewhat appealing is if Texas, OU, OSU and Tech were the four that formed a pod with the Zona schools.

Baylor and TCU can go hump somebody else's' leg...

The only way the PAC deal would even look somewhat appealing is if Texas, OU, OSU and Tech were the four that formed a pod with the Zona schools.

Baylor and TCU can go hump somebody else's' leg...

So ya, there are a few ways to put the puzzle together and your idea would be fine but I don't think it's the best. Here's why:

1. The first time around the Big 12/Pac 10 union did not work because not all of the universities invited on the Big 12 side wanted to be a part of the PAC 10. I would say that Aggy really, really did not want it because the left coast does not jive with their fake army culture. Secondly, the second university not wanting to be involved with the left coast would have been OU. OU is more of a midwestern state than a southwestern state in terms of culture and I would argue that there are parts of Texas that are more midwestern than southwestern; however, Austin definitely leans southwestern. OU will never join the PAC. They will go SEC b4 PAC.

2. This is the biggest reason imo... recruiting. If OU and OkSU go to the B1G, it's a step down in recruiting exposure. They will have locked themselves out of playing football in Texas. The reason the Oklahoma teams have such great success in recruiting Texas is because they play here regularly so family members can drive to games within Texas and to OK. The greatest example of what the Oklahoma teams will be doing to themselves is Piggie. Need I say more?

3. The B1G western division is going to be the arm pit/black hole of college football. Take a gander at the teams:

Nebraska - Former blue blood but quickly fading into the abyss.
Iowa - Sometimes ok but meh...
Minnesota - What's their mascot again?
Indiana - See Kansas
Illinois - puke
Purdue - puke
Northwestern - puke

Do you ever envision planning a vacation around one of these road trips?

The B1G eastern div will be stellar but they already have their club and we wouldn't be in it... We would be the ones making the western div look better.

4. I stated the puzzle pieces earlier. If Texas, TTech, OkSU, and OU go Pac then where do TCU and Baylor go? They would clearly be prime prizes for any league because of their exposure to Texas recruiting. These schools are private Christian universities and would be an easy fit in the SEC. The SEC would snatch them up in a heartbeat. They would take them over KU and Kstate in a millisecond.

5. We need to button up Texas as much as possible. Keeping Texas, TTech, TCU, and Baylor together would be a home run long term. We keep some in state rivalries and have a pod / division that would be much more manageable. Our potential divisional foes would include AU, ASU, CU, and Utah... these teams are not a great draw for Texas kids so we keep more recruits in-state among the 4 Texas PAC schools. As a group we would get more pub than aggy and aggy would become more irrelevant over time.

****So, keep Texas teams together and push out B1G / SEC while limiting PAC exposure because of distance = a recipe for success. IT's all about recruiting and this will keep more Texas blue chips in state.

Last edited:
Honestly though, what conference dosnt want us. We bring revenue and ratings. Thats what conferences want. They might even be willing to kick other teams out to allow us in

Honestly though, what conference dosnt want us. We bring revenue and ratings. Thats what conferences want. They might even be willing to kick other teams out to allow us in

We are a prize, yes, but the main goal of these conferences is to get to 16 as quickly as possible with the best 16 schools within geographic reason. I've never seen a school kicked out of a league so that others may join. We did have the combination of some leagues (SWC & Big8) with some schools left out but they were not kicked out of anything. As clob said, "The game is afoot" and the B1G is making the first move. I would bet that the PAC did some bargaining of their own while we had people in LA as well. The key will be, which conference wants to cover the loss of the GOR money for someone to make a move. Texas will sit back and wait. We have the cards.

No one is bringing us in with the LHN hanging around our necks. Just get the SWC crew back together so we can really flex our muscles about how awesome having your own network is.

Reactions: 89nole
No one is bringing us in with the LHN hanging around our necks. Just get the SWC crew back together so we can really flex our muscles about how awesome having your own network is.

If you have a "straight flush", does the river matter? No, you would just be trying to draw as much money into the pot as possible before collecting.... In cfb conference wranglings, the increased pot is the LHN and our position is the "straight flush".

Last edited:
Does a straight flush really matter when you are playing cards at the kids table. Is Texas back to showing everyone their paycheck for bragging rights.

Does a straight flush really matter when you are playing cards at the kids table. Is Texas back to showing everyone their paycheck for bragging rights.

Texas Football is not "the kids table". It's the envy of the country. Keeping our football in-state is important. I am talking about building on what we have, not exporting it like we have been.

Last edited:
Texas Football is not "the kids table". It's the envy of the country. Keeping our football in-state is important. I am talking about building on what we have, not exporting it out like we have been.

The Big12 is the kids table, especially now that Baylor is going 0-12. No one other than the little brothers we surrounded ourselves with envies the LHN.

You are as delusional as Dodds if you think that anyone with any skin in the game admires how the Texas athletic department is run. We are the douchebags who retort to comparing paychecks to settle arguments.

ACC is open game, the platform could be transitioned...

You are as delusional as Dodds if you think that anyone with any skin in the game admires how the Texas athletic department is run. We are the douchebags who retort to comparing paychecks to settle arguments.

Good lord, why the hang up on the LHN. Take it or leave it, I don't care. What is your problem?

Me Personally, If ND jumps onboard...Texas to the ACC.

Yep, still in play but not a great geographical fit. With the PAC and the littles we don't have to travel as much and have more exposure to high school recruits in our own state.

It stupid and we alienated ourselves with it. The post you are quoting doesn't even mention the LHN though.

Then I don't understand what you are upset about. Look, nothing is wrong with UT trying to make $$ while increasing market share. Your competition will be all out envious over it but nothing is wrong with it. Deloss had some missteps yes, but since Deloss, we have been even worse. Maybe now we can do some things right.

Me Personally, If ND jumps onboard...Texas to the ACC.
Personally, i couldn't care less what ND does anymore. I get it though, the largest and most spread out fanbase blah blah blah.... Their "legendary luster" has worn off since army stopped being a powerhouse. Biased opinion no doubt, I never liked ND except in the movie Rudy.

The Big12 is the kids table, especially now that Baylor is going 0-12. No one other than the little brothers we surrounded ourselves with envies the LHN.

Didn't Baylor basketball essentially get the death penalty? Are they still dead? Baylor will recover and you made my point. We can keep the LHN, the littles won't care as long as they are included. All we have to do is to negotiate the LHN into the new rules and presto we're in business. Look, I know what I am proposing is not sexy but after the luster wears off and we have one rival or none, no pub in Texas, and people unhappy b/c "UT left everyone for greener pastures" we will be aggy. I am for keeping the rivalries and the ties, and yes, I have friends and relatives that went to the other schools in Texas.

Last edited:
regardless of what everyone may want to think, we do need schools like OU, Tech, and TCU.

No it isn't. Fans just say that because 16 looks neat on paper. The actions of the conferences themselves says otherwise.

That's right, $EC in their arrogance will be the last to the ball. You get KU and KState. Happy times.

I believe Texas, W Va, Kansas and ou should just do whatever. KState, ISU, okie lite, TCU, Baylor, SMU, UH, TT, Rice, Memphis and maybe UTEP and UTSA would be a great 12 team mid major conference whose cities are relatively close . I like West Virginia, but, just not a good fit due to distance. It would be good for the state of Texas for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT