ADVERTISEMENT

OLine

If Herman is able to pull that off that will be 3 grad transfer OL and a grad transfer RB. No excuses for offense this year under that scenario.

Gonna be a little added pressure to get some wins under that scnerio as well

If Herman is able to pull that off that will be 3 grad transfer OL and a grad transfer RB. No excuses for offense this year under that scenario.

Gonna be a little added pressure to get some wins under that scnerio as well

No offense meant but I don't understand this thinking. "If you have a good recruiting class", that more is expected? It's always been my understanding that a lot is always expected whether a coach recruits well or not. It's not like Shaka Smart is going to start getting a pass now that he is letting good players slip through his fingers from in state. While some of the administration is giving SS a pass, I'll assure you that the alumni, press, and bmd's are not. On the contrary, now that recruiting is slipping for SS the pressure is going to get hotter and he'll be gone soon.

The big schools will stockpile Ol linemen since it takes time to put on more beef and muscle to win in the trenches.The OL last year was a much depleted group and any injuries to this years group Texas will be in the same boat,I will state bring them on if you can get them.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Be like Pop Snyder and go and tell them , if know how to play and want a chance, com'on and show me and we will help you fit in grades and anything else, them guys are a family up there, what we need to be.

Hook'em

No offense meant but I don't understand this thinking. "If you have a good recruiting class", that more is expected? It's always been my understanding that a lot is always expected whether a coach recruits well or not. It's not like Shaka Smart is going to start getting a pass now that he is letting good players slip through his fingers from in state. While some of the administration is giving SS a pass, I'll assure you that the alumni, press, and bmd's are not. On the contrary, now that recruiting is slipping for SS the pressure is going to get hotter and he'll be gone soon.
No offense meant but I have no clue what you are talking about. My post had nothing to do with therecruiting class(at least not as a whole) but rather simply that if Herman is able to land these Bama guys that’s the grad transfer Olineman and agrad transfer RB. Yes that does at least for me change the dynamic and expectation for the offense. Adding a great recruiting class is awesome but it’s tough for freshman to be great contributors espcally on OL. You add 3Sr’s that changes the dynamic a bit and therefore expectation

No offense meant but I have no clue what you are talking about. My post had nothing to do with therecruiting class(at least not as a whole) but rather simply that if Herman is able to land these Bama guys that’s the grad transfer Olineman and agrad transfer RB. Yes that does at least for me change the dynamic and expectation for the offense. Adding a great recruiting class is awesome but it’s tough for freshman to be great contributors espcally on OL. You add 3Sr’s that changes the dynamic a bit and therefore expectation

It shouldn't. You're just trying to set Herman up for criticism. Not all moves work out. I'm the first to be skeptical of anyone that jumps ship.

Not a lot downside to a grad x-fer. I think one of the Bama guys is a 2 year player, but for the most part they are 1 and done.

If it's a need position, and coaches think they are an upgrade, or can provide depth that is needed and maybe give some of your youngsters the ability to redshirt, why not?

Not a lot downside to a grad x-fer. I think one of the Bama guys is a 2 year player, but for the most part they are 1 and done.

If it's a need position, and coaches think they are an upgrade, or can provide depth that is needed and maybe give some of your youngsters the ability to redshirt, why not?

Oh I agree, but if for some reason it doesn't work out, how does Herman become the bad guy? The success rate on transfers is not terribly high.

On a short term basis if your OLine has not had enough time to compete on a high level.Ask yourself how does the Texas OLine compare with Alabama,Georgia,Ohio state,Michigan,Clemson?Now,that is the direction Texas wants to go. I think K-state and TCU have been using Juco's and transfers for some time.

It shouldn't. You're just trying to set Herman up for criticism. Not all moves work out. I'm the first to be skeptical of anyone that jumps ship.
I’m not trying to set up Herman for anything. He will get bashed if things don’t work out(no matter who plays) regardless of anything I say or do.

However when you get 3 SR OL(if that’s whst happens) and a SR Rb it does raise the expectations of the offense a bit, and Herman knows that.

TFB is reporting that Angilau is postponing his mission trip and will be on campus this year. I'm surprised this hasn't got more attention considering how worried some were over him when the news came out that he was thinking of taking one. Good news for the future, but probably won't make much impact this year.

I’m not trying to set up Herman for anything. He will get bashed if things don’t work out(no matter who plays) regardless of anything I say or do.

However when you get 3 SR OL(if that’s whst happens) and a SR Rb it does raise the expectations of the offense a bit, and Herman knows that.

Is he going to get bashed for 8 wins and a bowl victory?

I think its time to go back with a 300 lb oline and some big ass Rbs and run it down there throats for 2 or 3 hundred yds instead of all this Wild Horn stuff and, go back to the basics of smashmouth FB, we don't have enough speed to run the WH the right way.

Hook'em

Reactions: freeper
No. Why would he? 8 wins and a bowl win is a pretty reasonable expectation.

Regardless of the win total though if the offense is still a dumpster fire he’s gonna take some heat

I think its time to go back with a 300 lb oline and some big ass Rbs and run it down there throats for 2 or 3 hundred yds instead of all this Wild Horn stuff and, go back to the basics of smashmouth FB, we don't have enough speed to run the WH the right way.

Hook'em

Pretty much all O linemen now days are 300 lbs. Last year we had a RB who weighed 250, and still couldn't run. The game is a little more complicated now than what is used to be. There are better athletes now.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
Pretty much all O linemen now days are 300 lbs. Last year we had a RB who weighed 250, and still couldn't run. The game is a little more complicated now than what is used to be. There are better athletes now.

There are better athletes, but it is really not more complicated.

Bottom line is you need to control the line of scrimmage and protect the football. Do that and you will win a lot more games than you lose. What you need to do to control the LOS maybe different, but the objective is the same.

Reactions: RolloTomassi0309
I can see all the Heisman Trophies lined up that they have won since they are better than the past players.

Hook'em

I can see all the Heisman Trophies lined up that they have won since they are better than the past players.

Hook'em

Don’t get offended but the reruns look like they were playing in slow motion. Just saying. Players are bigger and faster now, but they are probably softer...

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
8-4 plus a bowl win, final record 9-4?
In that scenario, I don't think he will get bashed. I think 9 wins is a significant improvement over 7, 5, 5, and 7 wins. But, given how prime for the taking the Big XII is this year, it really should be more like 10 wins, even if we lost the bowl game. If we end up with 9 wins but our offense looks terrible all year again, and we just happen to play worse opponents, he might still get "bashed" for not developing a decent offense. But I think 9 wins gets him some safety from the fires. Anything less than 9 and yes, he will be bashed for sure.

What bothers me more, though, is that if we have 9 wins (with a bad offense) or 8 wins or 7 wins or 6 wins, Tom will be asked direct questions about WHY and he will list off excuses and reasons why those numbers aren't that bad. If the number is 9, I'll go with it. But when the number is 6 or 7 again (or worse), or even 8, I would appreciate some blatant honesty.

8-4 plus a bowl win, final record 9-4?
In that scenario, I don't think he will get bashed. I think 9 wins is a significant improvement over 7, 5, 5, and 7 wins. But, given how prime for the taking the Big XII is this year, it really should be more like 10 wins, even if we lost the bowl game. If we end up with 9 wins but our offense looks terrible all year again, and we just happen to play worse opponents, he might still get "bashed" for not developing a decent offense. But I think 9 wins gets him some safety from the fires. Anything less than 9 and yes, he will be bashed for sure.

What bothers me more, though, is that if we have 9 wins (with a bad offense) or 8 wins or 7 wins or 6 wins, Tom will be asked direct questions about WHY and he will list off excuses and reasons why those numbers aren't that bad. If the number is 9, I'll go with it. But when the number is 6 or 7 again (or worse), or even 8, I would appreciate some blatant honesty.

What qualifies as honesty? Is saying that he had to rely on freshman and lost key players to injuries not being honest? I think last year he basically was saying he didnt have the pieces to have a successful offense. He also said that the coaching staff needed to do better. What more do you want in terms of honesty?

Reactions: oldhorn2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT