ADVERTISEMENT

On to the next:Baylor

Yep, already nervous. Can we finally learn how to play like a favorite?

I think we will in this game and I'm not saying this because of the OU game but I think every game this team is gaining tons of confidence and learning they have the talent to beat anyone. Sam keeps playing smart and we should route Baylor.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I hope you're right. I haven't seen this team play well as the favorite yet, so I'm not counting on it. I still think we win, but they find a way to make it way too close.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Don't be fooled by the 4-2 Baylor record. Their stiffest comp has been OU. Other than that, they haven't really played anyone. That being said, this is a game where our team can step up and show that they can shut out a lesser opponent. This game is at home so we will have that advantage. I'm actually more concerned about playing in the wasteland of lubbock than WVU at home.

Don't be fooled by the 4-2 Baylor record. Their stiffest comp has been OU. Other than that, they haven't really played anyone. That being said, this is a game where our team can step up and show that they can shut out a lesser opponent. This game is at home so we will have that advantage. I'm actually more concerned about playing in the wasteland of lubbock than WVU at home.

Oh I'm not fooled at all. Baylor garbage. My issue is, well, we tend to play like garbage against garbage. Yes, it's at home, and after that OU game, the crowd will be on fire. Hopefully the team will be, too.

Yeah sand aggy worries me too. Lubbock voodoo and a team that plays down to its opponents is not a good combination. Hopefully we've gotten over that stuff by then. Be nice to see that improvement this week.

Texas better not sleep on Baylor. They're putting up some impressive point totals and the Horns are coming off of the emotional win over OU. This is a classic let-down spot. Coach Herman knows this, and its his and the staff's job to have Texas ready for this game and to not have a letdown.
Very true. I don't think anyone on our roster has played as a top 10 team either. My God, it's been that long..... Hopefully the new spotlight amps them up instead of getting that "We're Texas" unprepared vibe that plagued us in too many catch games in the past.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I have been conditioned, by 9 years of bad and inconsistent play and a team that could never carry momentum, to automatically assume that any game we play following a good showing is a trap game and the rug will finally be pulled out from underneath us. BUT...this team has proven me wrong. USC was a turning point, but TCU was the proof. After the icky win vs KSt I thought we just might show up against OU the way we recovered from icky Tulsa to stomp USC. Had our defense not let them back in the game, we would have stomped OU. Regardless, the evidence from these past 4 weeks shows me that Herman's efforts are working. The team understands what they need to do. Just watch Hager's post-game presser. He's crazy, but it was great. They really are taking each and every game, each and every snap, as a chance to show their excellence. We could easily go 11-1, although we will probably slip up somewhere along the way. If we do lose again, that'll be another interesting test for the team; how we respond once we deflate again. But for now, Baylor should be a win. I would love to see us up with a 21-28 point lead and put in a backup QB for some reps.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Baylor has some talent at the skill positions. Jalen Hurd and Denzel Mims are good receivers Tristan Ebner is a decent rb. Their defense is lousy but James Lynch is a good dl with promise and their dc, Phil Snow, has a good resume. Matt Rhule has had to build from the ground up from the shambles Art Briles left Baylor fb in. Considering their w/l record the last two years their recruiting has been surprisingly decent. MR is trying to do it the right way. When Art Briles was at Baylor defense, special teams, the kicking game, and penalties, were ignored. MR is trying to build a complete team. Whether he's successful at it remains to be seen.

Fwiw MR and Tom Herman coached against each other in the AAC. Their teams played against each other in the title game 3 years ago.

Well, I've watched every second of every BU game, so here is your scouting report. Charlie Brewer is a gamer. Doesn't get rattled. Which he will need this week, because our O Line is a work in progress. It is vastly improved over a year ago - it can hold up against K-State, but will get dominated by a first class front. Hasty, Ebner and Lovett are a solid trio at RB. Mims and Hurd are all conference quality and could start for anyone. They have moved the ball on everyone, garbage schedule or not. I anticipate they will put up a few points, but it will be a lot tougher than against OU.

The Defense - forget it. Awful. There is some individual talent - they are capable of grabbing a couple of TO's. But if no turnovers or holding penalties, UT will grind them into dust.

If UT focuses -- 45 to 20 with starters resting in the 4th. If they screw around, give a couple of turnovers and kill drives with dumb penalties, Baylor is capable of hanging around. Never forget - this is the biggest game of the year for the Bears, so they will be hyped.

This!

Texas needs to learn what it’s like to play with cruelty as a heavy favorite, not just with inspiration and indignation as an underdog.
I agree wholeheartedly with Herman when he has said "each of these are just steps in our progression." Texas has to re-learn each and every one of these things. That's how bad our program had become. We have seen a TON of growth over this season so far. I know we will continue to grow more. And I'm actually glad we don't have a superstar QB masking deficiencies for us. It is forcing our coaches and our players to grind it out and learn how to win despite obstacles. Let's be gracious to the team if they flounder some this year and don't win out or shove it down other team's throats.

Ima tell ya'll right now:

We should beat Baylor 28-0 and here's how.

We can't afford any injuries at all. Line up and run the power spread all day. Tick the clock down to 1 on every snap and get 3-4 yards a pop. 20 plays 75 yards 10:15 second drives. 4th and inches? Qb sneak. Convert two 4th downs on each drive. Stick it in the endzone. Kick off, hold them, they punt, rinse, repeat.

There is zero need for QB throwback reverse statue of liberty bullsh!t, in order to beat Baylor. Give the bubble screens a rest. Line up, man on man punch them in the mouth and run the ball 60 times. Each back gets 20 carries. After 4 quarters, send them packing back to Waco, get in the treatment room, go home and get rest.

We do not need to be fvcking about with Baylor this weekend.

I'm going 38-24.

Texas goes up early 14-0, starts to sleep walk, Baylor gets it to 14-10. Texas scores twice late to make it 24-10 at the half. Texas then goes up 38-10 and then sleep walks to a 38-24 victory. We're left unsatisfied because Texas should've and could've put 50 on the board but decided to get lazy when up big. Texas defense plays uninspired for many segments of the game and we will complain that they have no killer instinct. But ultimately, we go into the bye week 6-1, 4-0.

Question: If we hadn't turned the ball over at the end against Maryland and had beaten them by 5ish points, do y'all think we still beat USC + TCU + @KSt + @OU? I think probably not. I think the loss was a gut check for our team and made them hungry and focus. While being undefeated would be amazing, I'll gladly give away that Maryland game in exchange for being on a five game win streak and potentially bowl eligible before the BYE

Well, I've watched every second of every BU game, so here is your scouting report. Charlie Brewer is a gamer. Doesn't get rattled. Which he will need this week, because our O Line is a work in progress. It is vastly improved over a year ago - it can hold up against K-State, but will get dominated by a first class front. Hasty, Ebner and Lovett are a solid trio at RB. Mims and Hurd are all conference quality and could start for anyone. They have moved the ball on everyone, garbage schedule or not. I anticipate they will put up a few points, but it will be a lot tougher than against OU.

The Defense - forget it. Awful. There is some individual talent - they are capable of grabbing a couple of TO's. But if no turnovers or holding penalties, UT will grind them into dust.

If UT focuses -- 45 to 20 with starters resting in the 4th. If they screw around, give a couple of turnovers and kill drives with dumb penalties, Baylor is capable of hanging around. Never forget - this is the biggest game of the year for the Bears, so they will be hyped.
Too bad we didn't have room for Charlie. His dad was a pretty good qb. Glad he found a spot.

Reactions: diadevic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT