ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Day

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
To me nothing beats opening day for MLB, especially when the ‘Stros win, 8-1 over sorry-ass athletics.
Yes, first weekend in CFB is exciting, especially TX/OU weekend, but baseball is different for me.

Reactions: freeper and DHHorn
As a longtime Astros fan these teams suck pre-American league move (kiss my arse Bud Selig):

Cubs
Dodgers
Cardinals
Braves

Post American league move:
Cubs
Dodgers
Red Sox
Yankees
Rangers
Athletics

# 1 on the kiss my ass teams list will forever be the Rangers.They whined and whined for the Astros to be moved to the American League so they would have a close local foe. Screw em and screw Bud(spit behind my back for saying that name) Selig. for extorting Crane to have to move to the American League as a condition of ownership. The rag ass Brewers(which Selig owns) started as an American League team ans should have been the team to move. Of course they didnt because Bud could make more money in the National League. The Astros were in the National League over 50 years.....longer than the Braves have been in Atlanta!

That said.....other than that I agree with your list.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
To me nothing beats opening day for MLB, especially when the ‘Stros win, 8-1 over sorry-ass athletics.
Yes, first weekend in CFB is exciting, especially TX/OU weekend, but baseball is different for me.

Tough day for me. I grew up an A's fan but I've always liked the Astros too. When it comes to teams I hate, two stand out above all:

New York gawdamnedyankees: lord how I hated the way the pilfered the A's roster in the 70s and 80s.

LA Dodgers: the sickest I've ever felt was October 15, 1988. To this day whenever I see Kirk Gibson hobbling around the bases on a replay, the bile rises in my throat. What a crappy night that was....my girlfriend at the time wasn't too happy about it either.....

I'm not a big fan of teams in Canada either. Hell, putting a team in Mexico makes a lot more sense and given my ethnic bonafides, I could even root for them, certainly before I would ever root for a Canadian team, even though my brother played semi-pro ball in Canada back in the late 70s.

loved baseball but now that D*%Khead Rob Manfred has taken the All-Star game away from Atlanta based on group think Political BS about election laws. I'm not watching another minute. Stayed up late last night to watch Grienke. But I can't stomach the cancel culture cowardly acts by these people. Theses acts are going to drive myself a 50+ year sports fan to do something else with my time. It pissing me off but I refuse to give them one dime.

There are 2 teams I've never liked the Tommy Lasorda Dodgers and the Red Sox. TL was like Deloss Dodds. I mean were the Dodgers look at how much we've won blah blah blah. Yes he won a couple of WS but you'd have thought they won a 100 just like Deloss bragged about TX. And I've grown to resent the way the Dodgers bragged and even romanticized Jackie Robinson. Everyone knows he was the first black baseball player but he wasn't embraced and certainly not loved. For 2 years he was on his own. He even had to shower and dress alone. But I will say this about the dodgers. I always had a great respect for Sandy Kofax how can you not? Unquestionably the greatest left handed pitcher of all time And now that Rupert Murdoch owns them I hate them even more.

My favorite team was the Cardinals and my favorite player of all time was Bob Gibson. I learned how to figure out the era because of him. What he did in 1968 will never be matched. 1968 was the year of the pitcher and what happened that year had never been done before and will never be done again.

Ok I'm through now.

Last edited:
No more baseball for me after what Manfred just did to Atlanta and the state of GA. I guess hurting a city and state that is predominantly black isn’t racist.

72% of African Americans support voter ID so I have no idea who he’s trying to support. I thought these people were supposed to be smart?

No more baseball for me after what Manfred just did to Atlanta and the state of GA. I guess hurting a city and state that is predominantly black isn’t racist.

72% of African Americans support voter ID so I have no idea who he’s trying to support. I thought these people were supposed to be smart?
I didn’t realize the GA voters elected MLB, Delta, and Coca Cola to govern them. Pathetic!

Reactions: freeper
I doubt, very seriously doubt, that black voters support voter id in the way that the GA legislature proposed and the governor signed into law. I mean not allowing people who are standing in line waiting to vote and not give them water and making it a misdemeanor? And if you're ok with that I feel sorry for you.

I doubt, very seriously doubt, that black voters support voter id in the way that the GA legislature proposed and the governor signed into law. I mean not allowing people who are standing in line waiting to vote and not give them water and making it a misdemeanor? And if you're ok with that I feel sorry for you.

Cali....you and the rest of the left were told a lie and you fell for it because it fit your narrative. That is not what the law says. anyone can give anyone water or food for that matter.....just not within 150 feet of the polling place. That has been law in Texas forever. Who in the hell needs food to make it the last 150 feet to vote anyway? The purpose is to avoid electioneering. I think you will find that pretty standard everywhere. ....150 FEET!...

Outthere, just curious where you stand on this. Do you think that people should have to show an ID to vote? If not, why shouldn't people have to prove who they are? Please help normal, common sense folks understand why the left thinks that requiring an ID to vote is "racist"?

168336043_10219342847817741_1962842367226486680_n.jpg

Cali....you and the rest of the left were told a lie and you fell for it because it fit your narrative. That is not what the law says. anyone can give anyone water or food for that matter.....just not within 150 feet of the polling place. That has been law in Texas forever. Who in the hell needs food to make it the last 150 feet to vote anyway? The purpose is to avoid electioneering. I think you will find that pretty standard everywhere. ....150 FEET!...

I was referring to the law that was passed in GA last week. Something that wasn't in there before. There is something in GA called souls to the polls where people could vote on Sunday they've curtailed that. Last year they organized shuttle service to take people to the precincts. They eliminated it. Look GA is a red state but Biden carried the state. It must have irritated those GA rednecks to no end that not just 2 democrats but a black man and a jew to the senate. There was a law in GA that if a candidate didn't carry 50% of they had a runoff. That's how Warnock and Ossoff got elected. That too has been eliminated. But the GA state house it's controlled by republicans and that's why all of this was passed. And that is why the braves, the NFL, and Delta airlines are boycotting. This has precedent. When the state of AZ refused to MLK day a holiday the NFL took away the SB away from AZ. You know what happened they lost a lot of money and then they decided to make MLK day a holiday and now is played in AZ every few years. Boycotts work. Go back and re-read Jim Crow history because what's happening out of GA is 21st century Jim Crow. Am I a liberal yes. But I believe in justice and shame on the state of GA.

Last edited:
I have yet to hear or see a report of anyone anywhere in our country who claims they were unable to vote because they have no ID. It’s a lie!

If the issue is not having an ID then their efforts should be focused on helping people obtain a FREE government issued ID. Liberals always are ready to help people get registered to vote so why don’t they just help people get an ID if they need one? The reason they can’t get people mobilized to obtain ID’s is because EVERYONE ALREADY HAS AN ID!!!!!!!

The scam, as all of you know, is Democrats need to keep elections from requiring voters to identify themselves. Without ID’s and without states updating their voter rolls, they can generate an unlimited number of fake voter registrations that they use for fake absentee ballots. That’s exactly how it’s done and I have been told this firsthand by individuals who run voter registration organizations.

I was referring to the law that was passed in GA last week. Something that wasn't in there before. There is something in GA called souls to the polls where people could vote on Sunday they've curtailed that. Last year they organized shuttle service to take people to the precincts. They eliminated it. Look GA is a red state but Biden carried the state. It must have irritated those GA rednecks to no end that not just 2 democrats but a black man and a jew to the senate. There was a law in GA that if a candidate didn't carry 50% of they had a runoff. That's how Warnock and Ossoff got elected. That too has been eliminated. But the GA state house it's controlled by republicans and that's why all of this was passed. And that is why the braves, the NFL, and Delta airlines are boycotting. This has precedent. When the state of AZ refused to MLK day a holiday the NFL took away the SB away from AZ. You know what happened they lost a lot of money and then they decided to make MLK day a holiday and now is played in AZ every few years. Boycotts work. Go back and re-read Jim Crow history because what's happening out of GA is 21st century Jim Crow. Am I a liberal yes. But I believe in justice and shame on the state of GA.
It’s not Jim Crow. Your master, Slow Joe, said the changes were so horrific as to be Jim Eagle. Haha. What a joke he and Pravda, I mean, MSDNC are.

I have yet to hear or see a report of anyone anywhere in our country who claims they were unable to vote because they have no ID. It’s a lie!

If the issue is not having an ID then their efforts should be focused on helping people obtain a FREE government issued ID. Liberals always are ready to help people get registered to vote so why don’t they just help people get an ID if they need one? The reason they can’t get people mobilized to obtain ID’s is because EVERYONE ALREADY HAS AN ID!!!!!!!

The scam, as all of you know, is Democrats need to keep elections from requiring voters to identify themselves. Without ID’s and without states updating their voter rolls, they can generate an unlimited number of fake voter registrations that they use for fake absentee ballots. That’s exactly how it’s done and I have been told this firsthand by individuals who run voter registration organizations.
Meh, the whole damn system is dysfunctionally corrupt. Modern times should have modern solutions. I have my phone and all my important apps locked by biometrics so I dont see why something like that cant be used in lieu of a gov id. Errrrrrbody has a cell phone now. Even the homeless all have them. Are there elec outlets under bridges or communal solar chargers?

Meh, the whole damn system is dysfunctionally corrupt. Modern times should have modern solutions. I have my phone and all my important apps locked by biometrics so I dont see why something like that cant be used in lieu of a gov id. Errrrrrbody has a cell phone now. Even the homeless all have them. Are there elec outlets under bridges or communal solar chargers?
Exactly! Some form of ID that is acceptable to the government can now be presented by just about every living adult. The problem with Democrats is they want to convince everyone that there are millions of people in the shadows who can’t vote because they can’t identify themselves. I would like to meet these people and see how they live day to day. Do they travel? Accept government benefits? Have a bank account? Own property? Drive a vehicle?

Cali....you are the one that brought up that the new law denied food and water to those in line......I read that in YOUR post. I even quoted it. When I showed you that was fake news you moved the goal posts and said you were refering to something else. Do you not see why common sense people dont trust Liberal dogma?

Cali....you are the one that brought up that the new law denied food and water to those in line......I read that in YOUR post. I even quoted it. When I showed you that was fake news you moved the goal posts and said you were referringto something else. Do you not see why common sense people dont trust Liberal dogma?

I didn't start anything when it came to the political replies on this thread. The conservative republicans on this board started I did not. Actually I never start the political replies. I reply when I disagree.

Cali....you are the one that brought up that the new law denied food and water to those in line......I read that in YOUR post. I even quoted it. When I showed you that was fake news you moved the goal posts and said you were refering to something else. Do you not see why common sense people dont trust Liberal dogma?

Through all of this I have talked about what happened in GA not TX. And it is a misdemeanor now in GA to come up to people standing in line waiting to vote and handing them water or anything else. That's what happened in GA on election day and the rednecks got mad. Never mind that they weren't breaking the law.

Through all of this I have talked about what happened in GA not TX. And it is a misdemeanor now in GA to come up to people standing in line waiting to vote and handing them water or anything else. That's what happened in GA on election day and the rednecks got mad. Never mind that they weren't breaking the law.

And yes would like to starting to talking about baseball again because that what this thread is supposed to be about.

That being said I loved baseball until I hit my 30's. 1968 was when I first started to understand baseball and pitching was like 99.9 of the game that year. Denny McClain won 31 games it hasn't been duplicated since and it never will. Bob Gibson had a 1.12 era. Seriously. Juan Marichal won 26 games. In fact there were a dozen pitchers who won 20 games that year. Finally Carl Yazstremaki led the American league with a 301 batting average. It was that kind of year.

And then there was Willie Mays. Willie Mccovey. Ernie Banks. Henry Aaron and so many more. I'm very partial to the players I watched growing up and the players of my generation but that's me.

They have the same law in NY and Delaware and over half the states in the U.S. It was modeled almost verbatim. It doesn't prevent people from receiving water from the election administrators onsite. It prevents electioneering by candidates within 150 feet of a polling place and this includes surrogates handing out branded bottles of water with the candidates' name written all over it. The people running the polling place can hand out water and food all day long if they want to do that.

It's time to stop the disinformation about this law.

Cali...I was referring to the Georgia law....Beyond 150 feet it is NOT against the new Georgia law to bring someone water. Only in the last 150 feet!.......someone is going to starve or die of thirst in 30 minutes?......you have been bamboozled!
No on can bring you food or water in court....business presentations...commencement speeches....what is the big deal?

Cali...I was referring to the Georgia law....Beyond 150 feet it is NOT against the new Georgia law to bring someone water. Only in the last 150 feet!.......someone is going to starve or die of thirst in 30 minutes?......you have been bamboozled!
No on can bring you food or water in court....business presentations...commencement speeches....what is the big deal?
It all boils down to neither side is able or willing to communicate to the other.
If the "redneck conservatives" would say they wanted to ensure polling locations are inclusive safe spaces by eliminating political harassment just like in liberal havens x,y,& z, there would have been less crying.
Nope, they allow the media to control the narrative and tell everyone those redneck racists are suppressing the minority vote because minorities can't get free id's or stand in line for 10mins without free food and drink. Man......it would piss me off if my party openly acted like I was THAT fragile and incompetent. Oh well, the cold war continues.
In other news, Correa won't be a Stro after this season.

Last edited:
Yes back to baseball. In LA, SF, and Orange County, the stadiums are now operating at 50% capacity. Thank goodness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT