ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A rather amazing coincidence regarding one of my photos of Texas

Originally posted by orange turdfrog:
I'm the OB he is referring to. The woman is my great grandmother and was born in 1868 and grew up in some rough times after the civil war. She died in 1958 when I was 10. That store in Neches was started in1899 by my great grandparents. During the 50's, I spent 2-3 weeks there during each summer. To have the run of that awesome country store is as good a memory any young child could have. Her last year, she was partially paralyzed from a stroke. On Sunday, all her great grandchildren would go see her. I would pass by her bed and she would hold out her frail arm to shake my hand. She would say, " John, hitch your wagon to a star and you will get thar. " What a wonderful memory. It brings a tear to my eye as I type this.
My family came to Anderson County in 1839 and I'm fortunate to have had such strong and decent ancestors.

That is awesome, Turdfrog.

Here's one of my favorite things that I have posted on the page. It's the "Chili Prayer" as recited by Bones Hooks, a legendary old black cowboy and range cook who lived all over the panhandle. Bones was revered by all who knew him and was the first black man to serve on a grand jury in the panhandle. There is a park in Amarillo that is named after him. Here is the prayer, which makes no mention of beans.
wink.r191677.gif

"Lord God, you know us old cowhands is forgitful. Sometimes I can't even recollect
what happened yestiddy. We is forgitful. We jes' know daylight and dark,
summer, fall, winter, and spring. But I sure hope we don' t never forgit
to thank you before we is about to eat a mess of good chili.

We don't know why you have been so dogone good to us. The heathen
Chinee don't have no chili, ever. The Frenchmens is left out. The
Rooshians don't know no more about chili than a hog does about a side
saddle. Even the Meskins don't get a good whiff of it unless they stay
around here.

Chili eaters is some of your chosen people. We
don't know why you so doggone good to us. But, Lord God, don't ever
think we ain't grateful for this here chili we's about to eat. Amen."

For more about Bones Hooks, read this article:

http://amarillo.com/stories/051900/his_hooks.html

This post was edited on 3/12 10:24 AM by Hornius Emeritus

Thank you for what you do here. Really enjoy your photos and the nostalgia that your comments bring just add that much more.

Trips back in time.

Just wondering, how many OB members had family members that at one time
owned General Stores? Back in their day, they were the equivalent of
our modern day Walmarts. My husband's grandfather built the General
Store in The Grove in 1917 and ran it until about 1946.

Hornius, great post. I doubt that i would have made the connection of the two photos. The second one with the owners has a window that does not show in the first one, and i really can't tell that the counters are the same. but since OT has confirmed it, not doubt that it is true. I love Texana and enjoy your photos.
OT, i sat by you for a few innings when i came over to visit with Leo and Kim at the baseball game a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed meeting you and visiting with you.
David

Re: OT: A rather amazing coincidence regarding my photos of Texas

Originally posted by hornowl94:
That's one of my favorite things about old photos, especially at places that are still here today. You stand there with that old photo in your head or in your hand, and look at that spot and the young people in that ages old photo, knowing they are dead and gone, and wonder what they were talking about, where they went after that, what song was stuck in their head, etc. I graduated from Rice, and there are many of those opportunities around that campus with its age and distinctive architecture of buildings that are still in use and lots of old photos have been taken there in amongst those buildings.
Same here. My wife doesn't understand sometimes how I get so fascinated with exactly what you said. I watch old Soul Train episodes and think about the same thing for each and every one of those dancers. Wonder what their life was like at that time. To think that was their present day, and now they are all in their 60's. Time passing intrigues me for some reason.

I just eat this stuff up, HE. Always interesting and pretty cool stuff. Wish I had your eye for photos. Keep it coming.

Wonderful story, turdfrog. Lots of good memories in those old pics. Appreciating the advice and observations of the older generations are invaluable lessons.

Great story HE, your presence on OB is really appreciated. I bought a picture off your website 4 years ago and it's prominently on display in my new home.

Originally posted by panamamyers:

Originally posted by hornowl94:
That's one of my favorite things about old photos, especially at places that are still here today. You stand there with that old photo in your head or in your hand, and look at that spot and the young people in that ages old photo, knowing they are dead and gone, and wonder what they were talking about, where they went after that, what song was stuck in their head, etc. I graduated from Rice, and there are many of those opportunities around that campus with its age and distinctive architecture of buildings that are still in use and lots of old photos have been taken there in amongst those buildings.
Same here. My wife doesn't understand sometimes how I get so fascinated with exactly what you said. I watch old Soul Train episodes and think about the same thing for each and every one of those dancers. Wonder what their life was like at that time. To think that was their present day, and now they are all in their 60's. Time passing intrigues me for some reason.
Same

Originally posted by Buck81:
I've spent a lot of time looking at your pictures Hornius with much glee. Not sure where these words came from but I think you get it. Thanks!

Almost didn't see this.

My main gallery is here:

http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images-of-Texas/Traces-of-Texas/9430365_wPF5N8#!i=632982611&k=8BL7ccg

My most recent photos are here:

http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images-of-Texas/Recently-Added-Photos/11839161_vDS4Zb#!i=2386572491&k=2jpNXnK

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. We are blessed to live here.

Originally posted by UTDave:

Hornius, great post. I doubt that i would have made the connection of the two photos. The second one with the owners has a window that does not show in the first one, and i really can't tell that the counters are the same. but since OT has confirmed it, not doubt that it is true. I love Texana and enjoy your photos.
The person who sent me the old photo said that it was taken in Neches. That's when I went back and looked at the photos that I took when I visited Neches.

Re: OT: A rather amazing coincidence regarding one of my photos of Te

HE,

Never realized that was your Facebook page. My mom reports your stuff all the time.

I have always liked your stuff here. Never realized you were one in the same
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Hornius photo was taken front to back and the second photo was taken back to front. Trying to help out a little.

Re: OT: A rather amazing coincidence regarding one of my photos of Te

Originally posted by MDHornfan:
HE,

Never realized that was your Facebook page. My mom reports your stuff all the time.

I have always liked your stuff here. Never realized you were one in the same
Posted from wireless.rivals.com

MDHornfan,

It is so funny that you say that because 5-6 others have emailed me or PM'd me saying the same exact thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT