OT - Bohemian Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Longhorn Sports' started by Son of Wasatch, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Son of Wasatch

Son of Wasatch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Went to a special screening of Bohemian Rhapsody tonight. Absolutely the best movie I've seen in a very long time. If you are a fan of Queen then you can't miss this movie. If it doesn't win several Oscars then they need to quit giving the award out. I really don't think I've ever said that about any movie.

2. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I was torn because I really dislike what Hollywood stands for, how they've tried to stand in their ivory tower and preach at people, only to have their own house cluttered with rapists, pedophiles, molesters and sexual assaulting A-holes--- all the while keeping it secret---- but I would like to see this movie.

3. LonghornMM

LonghornMM Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I agree with clob when it comes to Hollywood. I'm a big fan of Queen. Freddy Mercury was one of, if not the best front men ever. My regret is that I never got to see them live.

4. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The Hollywood elite thing is so overplayed

[​IMG]

5. GuaranteedFresh!

GuaranteedFresh! Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

In before thread locked.
    Scholz, I believe you're coming with a view point that either agrees with or runs very closely to that of Hollywood liberals. Cool, no problem. We all have differing takes on life but from MY perspective, the "Hollywood elite thing" rings very true.
    Examples are everywhere all the time. From award shows to all late night talk shows to most every daytime show such as GMA or the View/Talk/ whatever. That new movie about the moon landing even refuses to show the American flag being planted.

There's a reason so many choose to watch the most hated network of the left, FOX. We don't get berated and belittled nearly as much as we do watching most any other news channels.

I get it. It's highly unlikely we'll ever see eye to eye on anything political. Even more unlikely either of us would be able to persuade the other into thinking an opposing viewpoint is more accurate than our own.
    Basically, my experience and personal feelings butt heads with that of Hollywood liberals who in large present their beliefs as the only beliefs that are correct. Therefore I, am what's wrong with the world. That's my perspective.

6. q1w2e3

q1w2e3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with Scholz. If ya'll angry at the libs, get off my lawn, Fox news watchers want to miss out on one of the great things in life, film, then go for it. By the way, Fox news is a joke to anyone trying to actually get news. It's complete propaganda designed to fester up the right. It works they are making a killing off of it, but it's poison to the country.

7. LonghornMM

LonghornMM Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Come on, man. The things that you're saying about Fox News you can stay the exact same thing about CNN. CNN is very liberal and is absurdly biased against Trump and the right. Both networks give a slanted view, but don't pretend that Fox is all propaganda and poison and CNN is credible. IMO CNN deserves all of the hell that Trump gives them for being so ridiculously biased towards him and the left. Sheesh! :rolleyes:

4MNChampsHorn likes this.
  8. ElDiabloTejano

Expand Collapse

everybody sticking to their echo chambers is why we can't push through this era.

T_R_U_T_H and 4MNChampsHorn like this.
  9. 2300 Nueces

2300 Nueces Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We are in the middle of the 4th turning of a generational cycle. One side is going to win and one will lose. We'll still have slavery through usury (fractional reserve banking) no matter which side wins. The Forth Tuning is pretty accurate but it's really a matter of the cycle of Jubilee as stated in Leviticus. We are at the back end of a long Jubilee cycle.

Back to the movie or this will get locked.

9 2300 Nueces, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  10. LonghornMM

LonghornMM Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Guys, lets keep this thread about Bohemian Rhapsody please.

11. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I saw Brian May in concert one time in Germany. He was great. I have higher movies on my wish list though. Star is Born was super good. Going to see Old Man and a Gun next and then Greenbook.

FlourBluffHorn likes this.
  12. FlourBluffHorn

FlourBluffHorn Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, hell then we oughta break out the Dominoes and some cold beer then and get drunk till the next cycle...! I hope it said that the Horns will be number1 all of the next cycle

Are you smokin dope 2300? or planting crops?

Back to the movie or this will get locked

Hook'em

13. TX1972

TX1972 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Have you read or heard of BANG?
    Brian's book with his professor Patrick Moore? About the history of the universe? He was a grad student in physics at Imperial College London when this Queen thing came along.

FlourBluffHorn and Scholz like this.
  14. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

No, had no idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.

15. TX1972

TX1972 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Got my copy aat Half price.

Scholz likes this.
  16. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

I plan on taking the wifey to see bohemian rapsody as soon as we can line out a babysitter.
    Side note, I don't care what entertainers think politically and prefer to not know. If their craft is good I'll watch or listen even knowing that they hate me. It's just very alienating when they use their very public platform as a soapbox to say what a p.o.s. they think I am.
    Alright MM, that's all the politi-talk I'll do here......today. It stayed very civil for once.
    ON TO THE MOVIES!

DrinkToIt likes this.
  17. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

Ha! Neither although I do grow my own tomatoes because they suck at the store. Cycles exist like the seasons, week, monthly menstration, and the biggest is the credit cycle. When the credit expansion starts, everyone is happier. It's the boom but the back end is the crash. It is a time of hideous rancor cause there ain't any walking around money. This is why God gave the Hebrews the 50 year jubilee. It is a way to lessen the natural effects of the credit cycle. Look it up.

18. Belldozer1

Belldozer1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This thread is full of knee slappers that's for sure. And yes I agree both Fox and CNN have their own slant, to say otherwise would be pretty naive.

4MNChampsHorn and freeper like this.
  19. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

Alright, I'm going to wave my ignorance flag and ask. I get what a credit cycle is within the economic sense of the term but am not sure what the correlation with religion is. Are you talking about something I can read up on from creditable or more mainstream channels or is it something I need to know a secret handshake and password to the dark web to access?

20. Son of Wasatch

Expand Collapse

According to the movie, and admittidly who knows how accurate it is, every member of Queen was set to have a incredible career in other fields.

Brian May was a very accomplished Physicist
    John Deacon was studying to become an Electrical Engineer
    Roger Taylor was a dental student.

pretty amazing and accomplished group of guys that just happen to become one of the greatest bands ever.

What's also pretty amazing is that outside of Freddie, none of the rest of the band really got caught up deeply into the Rock and Roll life style. Very level headed group of guys considering the time frame they were biggest.

freeper likes this.
  21. 2300 Nueces

Expand Collapse

Yes, yes I'm crazy! ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(biblical)

Economic depressions run in 50 year cycles on average. People do goofy things to make them worse and longer. Jubilee was for protection.

22. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

Jubilee = Sabbaths Sabbath. Now I'm up to speed. Thank ya sir

23. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Shwacking fools vs studying economics.

You made a trade off.

24. UTGrad87

UTGrad87 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Ok, back to movies . . . Me and the mrs. went to see the new Halloween movie last week. It was great.

SPOILER ALERT: In this version, Michael Myers escapes from the mental institution, kills some folks and steals a scary mask. Then he makes his way back to Haddenfield, ill. right in time for Halloween festivities.

He manages to track down his sister, played by Jaimie Lee Curtis, who is somehow not his sister in this one? He tries in vain to kill her but fails. In the end, she kills him but the body disappears as the movie ends.

Yup, totally original! :D

25. FlourBluffHorn

Expand Collapse

Oy! Vey! Fresh! Learn Yiddish the easy way.!

Hook'em

GuaranteedFresh! likes this.
  26. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

Probably need to buy Rosetta Stone just to keep up. I may have brained my damage. o_O

27. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

Maybe but here's the kicker........I did take some economics. Probably slept too much.

28. Son of Wasatch

Expand Collapse

I like the one where Jamie Lee Curtis is a hot young high school virgin and she escapes because she is sweet and pure and all her slutty friends die, because they are having sex. I show that one to my daughter to let her know what could happen if she has sex.

29. freeper

freeper Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The kid who plays Freddie Mercury is Rami Malek. He was in "The Pacific" which was an HBO mini-series on WWII in the Pacific. He was great in that too. It didn't garner nearly the praise that "Band of Brothers" did....but was still very well done.

30. Son of Wasatch

Expand Collapse

Every Memorial Day I binge watch Band of Brothers, I've never seen Pacific, I'm going to have to watch it.

FlourBluffHorn and freeper like this.
  31. freeper

freeper Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I love "Band of Brothers" and have seen the entire series several times. I use it in my classes as well. I really like "The Pacific" as well. First of all, my father fought in the PTO so I am naturally interested, but as a historian, I just think that HBO captured the mood of the country and the period really well. If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch both series for free...

32. Texas008

Texas008 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I have watched "Band of Brothers" numerous times, but I have never seen "The Pacific", and I had no idea that John Basilone was one of the heroes portrayed in that film. I know the story of Basilone because a good friend of mine (Cedric Scheidelman) was his commanding officer, and Basilone was my friend's best man. Ced won his Navy Cross and Purple Heart on the same day that John Basilone was killed at Iwo Jima, February 19, 1945. I definitely will buy and watch that DVD. I first heard about Basilone from Ced, when I was visiting him in Hawaii, in 1986, and Ced took me on a tour of "Punch Bowl".
    Oahu’s Punchbowl — National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific
    https://www.govisithawaii.com/2011/02/28/oahus-punchbowl-national-memorial-cemetery-of-the-pacific/

32 Texas008, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    freeper likes this.
  33. Son of Wasatch

Expand Collapse

I have known one Congressional Medal of Honor winner in my life. His name was Bernie Fisher. I met him in 2009. I was living at the time in Clearfield Utah and I was a Boy Scout leader in my son's troop. I had the privilege of meeting the finest young man I have ever known. His name was Brice Fisher. In Clearfield which is right next to Hill Air Force base. was a park named in honor of Bernie Fisher. Brice was his grandson.

Brice was becoming an Eagle scout, he picked for his Eagle project to build a stand where a bronze statue was to be placed of his grand father in this park. The young man was determined to make it nice and he solicited business for sponsorship in this endeavor. .He built the molds and set the concrete himself with the help of a local contractor. Then he was the MC of the unveiling of the new statue. It was a very moving event. I have no idea where this young man is now, but I know for a fact, he is a successful person, He is who I would call, best of the best.

In 2014, Bernie Fisher was laid to rest. Here is a video of his funeral.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/3575...fisher-given-full-military-honors-boise-idaho

freeper and Texas008 like this.
  34. Texas008

Texas008 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Son of Wasatch,

Thank you for sharing that ceremony. There is no way that any of us can express our appreciation for the profound debt that those who died in defense of our freedoms have paid on our behalf.

The fact that we try to express our thankfulness through our thoughts and deeds is only a beginning of that payment, but remembering that we continue to owe them, must be our only duty in service of that infinite and un-payable debt that we all must owe - forever.

freeper likes this.
  35. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

I think the best way to show appreciation is to live your life to the fullest and never take the freedoms afforded for granted. Political crap is just, crap. It's all about being who you are without impeding others doing the same. Be a collective nation of individuals but come together if/when our way of life is under seige.
    Never forget why they sacrificed or we all but make certain to repeat their sacrifice with our children.

36. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

Just another thought..... it's the small things that make the biggest impact.

Coming back conus, we landed in Baltimore. As I exited the terminal around 2 or 3 am, there were no less than 25-30 WW2 & Vietam vets in line clapping for our return.

One by one they all shook hands or hugged us while thanking....us. One man in a walker reached out and gave me his cell phone so I could call my family to put their hearts at ease. I noticed others were doing the same. It must have been infectious because other people waiting at nearby gates for their flights came over and joined in.

Such rush of emotions resulted in not a single dry eye in sight. Showing that they genuinely cared for people they have never met was very moving.

Whenever I hear of a contracted freedom flight coming in I try my best to be in line to greet them if I am not working. It's a very small gesture but to some the small things are the most powerful. It was for me.

freeper, Texas008 and FlourBluffHorn like this.
  37. FlourBluffHorn

Expand Collapse

Yeah, but, the Gov keeps sacrificing our Children today in Iraq and Afgan for wrong reasons..I know you fought and I TY for it and I did too also for the wrong reasons and so many died in both places for nothing but, each other to try to just get home away from Politicians Game of Thrones, they oughta ban Recruiters from HS campuses all over the US, pumping glory into our young kids to join, cause it all not glory, its real time COD with no re-spawns, they was fighting in the Bible days and never stopped and not about to start...

Hook'em

38. FlourBluffHorn

Expand Collapse

Its good nobody was throwing Hotdogs at them! LOL, The American people got this 1 part right but didn't learn from the other 9 parts, These wars are a vicious cycle on Future Generation of our Children Fresh ...one day they will holler for help filling the ranks and nobody will fall for that shit of losing their son or daughter no more, it will be Hired Mercs who enjoy that shit for money, who fills the ranks!

Hook'em

39. GuaranteedFresh!

Expand Collapse

There's a lot of truth to what you just said and in fact is already happening. Most already know of 1, Blackwater International. They were all over the place until the Nisour incident in Baghdad. They are just 1 of many pmc's operating in the grey area for uncle Sam.

Ok ok, back on topic. Movies?

40. Metcalf #2

Metcalf #2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Propaganda? You serious Clark? Yes FOX is right, but what say you about the real propaganda machine poisoning the country? CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, Comedy Central, HBO, and Hollywood are all in on the Marxist brainwashing program, of which you have clearly fallen victim to. Please excuse FOX for throwing a monkey wrench in the communist manifesto and presenting a different point of view. I know that's an offense punishable by death in your would be tyrannical regime. So much for "tolerance" huh?

Sorry people I just couldn't let that ****ing stupid shit slide.