ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Concealed Carry

2300 Nueces

Sep 27, 2015
Concealed carry.... I have been a hunter since a kid (shot guns and rifles) but have not had a lot of experience with handguns.

1. Best options for concealed carry... Best value - best quality etc...

2. Best way to conceal? Inside pants holster etc...

3. Looking for a gun that can be operated with on hand... off hand for knife.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I carry a Springfield xds but I added the exetended clip just because my pinky finger extended past the stock clip. Nice gun shoots well. I also carry a Walther PPQ m-2 in my vehicle. One of the smoothest shooting mass production pistols imo. Springfield usually gives you a lot of bang for the buck with extra clips, rebates etc.

I carry a Colt Bulldog.44 cal., a good one for me and affordable. all I can tell ya when ya get one keep it on your hip and don't mess with it till ya need it and keep it away from children and maybe go to the range and shoot off a box of ammo

Bulldog
Known for its rugged reliability and stopping power, Charter’s .44 Special is a versatile revolver for personal or home protection. With a barrel length of 2.5", the .44 Special is one of the larger revolvers to qualify for concealed carry. It has potent stopping power, while not being burdensome to carry.

This safe, reliable revolver is powerful enough for serious home protection, but has the size and functionality for effective concealed carry!

2dj9mo8.jpg

Its for shootin the neighbors home evader that's hiding behind the Ice Box...LOL

I guarantee it will kick the shit outa most thinks that you would need it for.. auto's are ok but, I am old fashion and like the Rev's

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Concealed carry.... I have been a hunter since a kid (shot guns and rifles) but have not had a lot of experience with handguns.

Thanks in advance.
I'd highly recommend you to find out what you like at a range or gun club. There are a ton of variables specific to your personal body type that need to be taken into account like hand size and how big yer gut is.
For concealed, you're going to want the smallest profile that is comfortable to shoot.
Rocking a Dirty Harry is great for comparing peckers but very impractical and you'll end up not carrying it more often than not due to the uncomfortable size.
The shop will let you try on many different holster/gun combos to see what feels right for you.

I carry a Colt Bulldog.44 cal., a good one for me and affordable. all I can tell ya when ya get one keep it on your hip and don't mess with it till ya need it and keep it away from children and maybe go to the range and shoot off a box of ammo

Bulldog
Known for its rugged reliability and stopping power, Charter’s .44 Special is a versatile revolver for personal or home protection. With a barrel length of 2.5", the .44 Special is one of the larger revolvers to qualify for concealed carry. It has potent stopping power, while not being burdensome to carry.

This safe, reliable revolver is powerful enough for serious home protection, but has the size and functionality for effective concealed carry!

2dj9mo8.jpg

Its for shootin the neighbors home evader that's hiding behind the Ice Box...LOL

I guarantee it will kick the shit outa most thinks that you would need it for.. auto's are ok but, I am old fashion and like the Rev's
I bet that sumbitch lets you know when you fire it

I’ve been wanting to get an H&K vp9 for a while and this thread just reminded me of that. Threads like this are bad for the pocketbook

I carry a Springfield xds but I added the exetended clip just because my pinky finger extended past the stock clip. Nice gun shoots well. I also carry a Walther PPQ m-2 in my vehicle. One of the smoothest shooting mass production pistols imo. Springfield usually gives you a lot of bang for the buck with extra clips, rebates etc.
Next person that uses the word "clip" to describe the apparatus that houses the rounds is going to get stew slapped.

It's called a Magazine or MAG. A clip is what holds paper together.

I'm betting @GuaranteedFresh! Used to carry a SIG back in his day. 226 or 229 probably.

I carry a Glock 19 as my CC. It's all up to what you feel comfy with.

Next person that uses the word "clip" to describe the apparatus that houses the rounds is going to get stew slapped.

I'm betting @GuaranteedFresh! Used to carry a SIG back in his day. 226 or 229 probably.

My bad

I am sorry that we are not as efficient with pistol jargon as you, me and Bell will really learn from this EXP as usual you tips are always welcome...who gives a shit just put ya clip or the bullet holder and do ya biz...I drop mine in the wheel on the Bulldog...no clips...

Great minds and all. I carry a Glock 19. I do not carry extended mags. I learned the hard way in the academy that you do not call a magazine a "clip" unless you're British. Every time I did, it cost me 25 push ups and 25 squats in the dirt at the range. Fortunately, I actually had a Brit in my academy class and he constantly called a magazine, a clip. That poor bastard set an example for the rest of us.

Look at new Glock models 43X and 48. They’re perfect for concealed carry, and you can’t beat a Glock when it comes to simplicity, ease of use, reliability and price.

If you’re going to carry concealed, you should get an inside the waistband holster (IWB). There are hundreds of reputable brands to choose from.

The two most important things about having a license to carry is (#1) practice, practice, practice... and (#2) carry everywhere you’re legally allowed. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, and having a gun does you no good if you don’t know how to use it or don’t have it on you.

...and as it’s been brought up, please don’t refer to magazines as “clips”. They are two completely different things.

I am sorry that we are not as efficient with pistol jargon as you, me and Bell will really learn from this EXP as usual you tips are always welcome...who gives a shit just put ya clip or the bullet holder and do ya biz...I drop mine in the wheel on the Bulldog...no clips...
Haha yeah I think everyone knew what I was referring to regardless of my gaffe

What you carry depends on who you augmented. Could be glock 17, 19, 34, Sig 226 or H&K 45 if the mission calls for it. Pretty much all the military is Glock or moving towards it. Pretty sure SEALs are the last ones still using Sig's though.

What you carry depends on who you augmented. Could be glock 17, 19, 34, Sig 226 or H&K 45 if the mission calls for it. Pretty much all the military is Glock or moving towards it. Pretty sure SEALs are the last ones still using Sig's though.
My ex Seal buddy here in New Braunfels who is now a DPS officer here told me he was issued the sig226 but preferred to carry the H&K and he has some crazy stories to tell from his time in the Middle East

Thanks in advance.

This is the key:
I'd highly recommend you to find out what you like at a range or gun club. There are a ton of variables specific to your personal body type that need to be taken into account like hand size and how big yer gut is.

There are many high-quality CCW options to choose from these days. Among the options from reputable manufacturers, there will be no discernible difference in terms of reliability. All quality mass-produced self-defense pistols will show essentially indistinguishable mechanical accuracy. When choosing among quality guns for self-defense, personal fit is what should guide your decision. We will all have our favorite brands and models, and our observations aren’t necessarily useless, but they’re far less relevant to your decision than how a given pistol from a quality manufacturer works in your particular hands.

What have you shot? Do you have a preference as to DA/SA or striker-fired? Or SAO (1911s, mainly)? Metal or polymer frame? Any idea whether you want something closer to full-size with a double-stack magazine, or whether you’d prefer a single-stack profile to maximize slimness? For that matter, do you think you might prefer a wheelgun?

The first thing to do is find a range or club where you can rent and shoot a wide variety of different pistols from quality manufacturers. See which pistols (and revolvers, if that’s your preference) point and shoot best at speed in your hands. If you have a local gun shop with at least minimally helpful staff, they’ll let you try out different holster and gun combos to see what general size and weight feel right for IWB (inside the waistband) carry. Try out friends’ guns with full magazines (for weight), if you know people who carry.

The one thing I will note up front regards caliber. Bullet technology has made huge advances in recent times. If you’re looking at semi-autos, the best .40 S&W rounds no longer provide any significant stopping-power advantage over the best 9mm +P rounds, but they do come with significant downsides: reduced magazine capacity, sharper recoil (meaning slower follow-up shots), and increased muzzle flash (greater impairment to night vision). Caliber preferences are touchy subjects, so I’m sure this will piss someone off, but that’s my view. And I love shooting .45 at the range, but I’d be even less interested in that caliber for a CCW because of further diminished capacity (though if you’re one of the folks that finds that the 1911 is your ideal CCW platform, I’d never buy one in any caliber other than the one for which the design was originally engineered).

If you can answer some of the questions above, we can start to help you narrow down the list of guns to rent and shoot.

Last edited:

Actually, while you are technically correct, many firearms, including the semi-auto, bolt-action M1 Garand carried by many US GIs in WWII including one of my uncles, and which can still be purchased, can utilize a mechanism called an en bloc clip to hold several rounds of ammunition without any external magazine. These are inserted into the weapon's internal magazine along with the ammunition and then ejected either after the last round in the clip is fired or the last round is chambered. GIs came to find out that the Nazis would often wait until they heard the metallic clang of the clip hitting the ground and then open fire, thinking the American was out of ammo, so many of our soldiers carried extra clips to drop on the ground while they took aim from cover.

Other weapons utilize stripper clips which hold the ammo for insertion and then are withdrawn, or stripped, from the ammo when it has clicked in place in the magazine. Stripper clips can also be used to rapidly load some kinds of external magazines just as speedloaders can be used for revolvers.

http://www.minutemanreview.com/clip-vs-magazine-lesson-in-firearm/

Actually, while you are technically correct, many firearms, including the semi-auto, bolt-action M1 Garand carried by many US GIs in WWII including one of my uncles, and which can still be purchased, can utilize a mechanism called an en bloc clip to hold several rounds of ammunition without any external magazine. These are inserted into the weapon's internal magazine along with the ammunition and then ejected either after the last round in the clip is fired or the last round is chambered. GIs came to find out that the Nazis would often wait until they heard the metallic clang of the clip hitting the ground and then open fire, thinking the American was out of ammo, so many of our soldiers carried extra clips to drop on the ground while they took aim from cover.

Other weapons utilize stripper clips which hold the ammo for insertion and then are withdrawn, or stripped, from the ammo when it has clicked in place in the magazine. Stripper clips can also be used to rapidly load some kinds of external magazines just as speedloaders can be used for revolvers.

http://www.minutemanreview.com/clip-vs-magazine-lesson-in-firearm/
Yes. And I completely agree with you. I am a slave to history and I know all of which you speak. I respect it, acknowledge it and bow to it.

However.

In this instance, we were referring to modern weapons and modern jargon. And while I will gladly bow at the alter of greater men than I, doing the unthinkable to save this country and others, right now we are using modern day jargon.

Yes. And I completely agree with you. I am a slave to history and I know all of which you speak. I respect it, acknowledge it and bow to it.

However.

In this instance, we were referring to modern weapons and modern jargon. And while I will gladly bow at the alter of greater men than I, doing the unthinkable to save this country and others, right now we are using modern day jargon.

Thanks in advance.

Mines a .44, this is 45

hell...if you want big bang and concealment, get a .45 two barrel derringer and load it with 410 buckshot...Thats 3 balls per shell. Easy to get to , easy to hide....right behind a belt buckle if you want...no worry about aiming.....a true "point and shoot"

on the other hand....for all those young guys...if you want to be accurate, get a Smith wheel gun and just test the trigger pull....nothing else like it on the market....not good for concealed carry however.

Think about the ammo....a .357 will knock down about anything, but if you shoot a guy in your house you are possibly shooting your neighbor as well....that bullet just doesnt stop. On the other hand, a .45 knocks down anything it hits

Remember that a handgun only hits what it is aimed at....Most shots are misses....advantage buckshot....Also.....something to try out at the ranch.....You cannot practice this at a shooting range.....Try....just try pointing that gun to the side say at a cactus, and see what you hit....It doesnt work like it does on TV, just sayin.....

ADVERTISEMENT