ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corpus area questions

GuaranteedFresh!

Oct 31, 2010
I've been discussing potentially moving with the wifey recently. She said she wants snowy winters or the coast.

Salt & sand it is. This guy doesn't do real winters.

I'm very knowledgeable about the mid-coast as far as fishing goes but anything concerning living there full time is a blank page.

Also, we're in no rush because we'll need to sell our rental house to clear up my VA loan anyways. So looking at next year or potentially late this year at earliest.

Can anyone recommend good schools or which ones to avoid within a 30min drive of Corpus? How about good and bad areas to look for a home? We're not looking for waterfront so housing in the 200-$300k range is our target.

@StrangerHorn Recommendations?

I've been discussing potentially moving with the wifey recently. She said she wants snowy winters or the coast.

I'm very knowledgeable about the mid-coast as far as fishing goes but anything concerning living there full time is a blank page.

Also, we're in no rush because we'll need to sell our rental house to clear up my VA loan anyways. So looking at next year or potentially late this year at earliest.

Can anyone recommend good schools or which ones to avoid within a 30min drive of Corpus? How about good and bad areas to look for a home? We're not looking for waterfront so housing in the 200-$300k range is our target.

Flour Bluff is the best school, and Calallen the second according to enrollments, they pay big money to come to the Bluff to go to school, from outa district..Now ya want to move to CC? well, the water is fuked and your pay a 150 a month for water ya can't drink and gonna shell out a grand or 2 for Winstorm INS, Dr s a not in big supply as everyones sued them all already and they left town, only one Numerologist in town...pros, a lotta good mex food, good fishing , shorts year round, food priceses are pretty good, cheaper than elsewhere, gas is low , lay back on Sundays down here, lotta beer drinking going on, gotta have a Dallas cowboy football jersey to live here, never could see that part, now ya know why Stranger and me fisshed and got drunk all the time, good HS FB down here, if ya live in a 100,000 home, it will be apprised at double that,,LOL, more mexican food, beer drinking, fishing but, we do have fast EMS service and fire down here, I'd put them up against any other, the Bluff looks for the best teachers, if you are not the best them haul ass!..LOL, thats why everyone wants to come here, you can sit out at night in front of police station sub and drink beer and smoke the ganja with 24 Police cars in parking lot and no ones at home, if ya need a cop then call 911, had a neighbor try to drive up and knock on door, forget that! call 911, CC is what it is, FB is what it is, we are lkike our own little town like Calallen, we are the step children of CC, and you know hiow they whip their asses when ya a step child..lol, potholes all over the place, we gota a baseball pro team , but the potholes never get fixed, water drainage in town is a big prob, when it rains down town ya need a PBY to go down there, Air services are good here, 2 Navy basses , here and Kingsville, lots of oil related bizzes here and refinery that pay good money if ya qualified..thats about it, I guess I missed a lot, but not really

Last edited:
Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
Flour Bluff is the best school, and Calallen the second according to enrollments, they pay big money to come to the Bluff to go to school, from outa district..Now ya want to move to CC? well, the water is fuked and your pay a 150 a month for water ya can't drink and gonna shell out a grand or 2 for Winstorm INS, Dr s a not in big supply as everyones sued them all already and they left town, only one Numerologist in town...pros, a lotta good mex food, good fishing , shorts year round, food priceses are pretty good, cheaper than elsewhere, gas is low , lay back on Sundays down here, lotta beer drinking going on, gotta have a Dallas cowboy football jersey to live here, never could see that part, now ya know why Stranger and me fisshed and got drunk all the time, good HS FB down here, if ya live in a 100,000 home, it will be apprised at double that,,LOL, more mexican food, beer drinking, fishing but, we do have fast EMS service and fire down here, I'd put them up against any other, the Bluff looks for the best teachers, if you are not the best them haul ass!..LOL, thats why everyone wants to come here, you can sit out at night in front of police station sub and drink beer and smoke the ganja with 24 Police cars in parking lot and no ones at home, if ya need a cop then call 911, had a neighbor try to drive up and knock on door, forget that! call 911, CC is what it is, FB is what it is, we are lkike our own little town like Calallen, we are the step children of CC, and you know hiow they whip their asses when ya a step child..lol, potholes all over the place, we gota a baseball pro team , but the potholes never get fixed, water drainage in town is a big prob, when it rains down town ya need a PBY to go down there, Air services are good here, 2 Navy basses , here and Kingsville, lots of oil related bizzes here and refinery that pay good money if ya qualified..thats about it, I guess I missed a lot, but not really

Thanks for the insight. We'll definitely be doing some exploring throughout the year until we can start to make a move.
I don't want to be inside Corpus because well... It's corpus.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
something to think about....Nueces county is the #1 County in the USA for plantiff attorneys. What this means is that there is not a decent DR left in Corpus. The good ones all fled.When I moved from Kingsville to SA my home owners went from $2200 to $450 per year in a much more expensive house. Stranger is correct about the public water supply. It has been very bad for the last several years....to the point they tell you not to drink it.Better to move to Rockport or Lake Jackson.

something to think about....Nueces county is the #1 County in the USA for plantiff attorneys. What this means is that there is not a decent DR left in Corpus. The good ones all fled.When I moved from Kingsville to SA my home owners went from $2200 to $450 per year in a much more expensive house. Stranger is correct about the public water supply. It has been very bad for the last several years....to the point they tell you not to drink it.Better to move to Rockport or Lake Jackson.
Thanks for the heads up. This is exactly why I asked y'all. I know all about fishing & local gas stations there but none of the residents knowledge.
Rockport is definitely one of the areas we'll be looking at but i imagine most anything nice will be well out of our budget. Can't hurt to look though.

Thanks for the heads up. This is exactly why I asked y'all. I know all about fishing & local gas stations there but none of the residents knowledge.
Rockport is definitely one of the areas we'll be looking at but i imagine most anything nice will be well out of our budget. Can't hurt to look though.
Like I said-- hit me up later and I will direct you to whomever or whatever you need to make an informed decision.

Remember when ya leave SA and going down 37 to CC, when ya get to Pleasnaton, you will notice everything is flat and a lotta Mesquite, Welcome to South Texas!, where it gets hot as hell! If ya buy a house down here better make sure its a new AC unit and the right tonnage...

Rockport is expensive due to SnowBirds, 3 Rivers not bad, George West area if ya like hunting etc, got 2 Lakes up that way, Beeville is OK and , lotta prison jobs there and a Jr College and a skip and a hop to Rockport-Aransas Pass area Theres some german farming communities north of 37 about Mathis and Sinton ways, My Dr lives in SkidMore and drives everyday and have a few friends that live up at Lake Mathis at Swinney Switch up 888 way, lots of stuff to look at, you could burn a couple of Tanks of gas easy, best to call a good realtor in that area and you might get a good deal! Three Rivers is a good area and they got a Lake, Hell just buy ya a Reg size mobile home if it just 2 of ya and put at the Lake on 5 acres and have fun...

I know someone from corpus quite well. She would never move back for any amount of money. That’s all I can say about that.

Waterfront you can easily yet at 200K -300K. But it doesn’t include a house.

Did I mention no amount of money?

I know someone from corpus quite well. She would never move back for any amount of money. That’s all I can say about that.

Waterfront you can easily yet at 200K -300K. But it doesn’t include a house.

Did I mention no amount of money?
Yeah, I've heard the same about pretty much everywhere. Different experiences for everyone I guess.
We aren't really interested in being inside corpus proper but within a reasonable commute for employment reasons. I do appreciate the insight though, that's why I asked.

Reactions: oldschoolcat
My company moved me from New Braunfels to Corpus from 04’-08. I have kids and hated it. Lived in the Country Club Off SPID. Crime is awful. My family has a place in Key Allegro, I’d look more towards that area. Just my .02

Rockport is expensive due to SnowBirds, 3 Rivers not bad, George West area if ya like hunting etc, got 2 Lakes up that way, Beeville is OK and , lotta prison jobs there and a Jr College and a skip and a hop to Rockport-Aransas Pass area Theres some german farming communities north of 37 about Mathis and Sinton ways, My Dr lives in SkidMore and drives everyday and have a few friends that live up at Lake Mathis at Swinney Switch up 888 way, lots of stuff to look at, you could burn a couple of Tanks of gas easy, best to call a good realtor in that area and you might get a good deal! Three Rivers is a good area and they got a Lake, Hell just buy ya a Reg size mobile home if it just 2 of ya and put at the Lake on 5 acres and have fun...
I like your style son

Reactions: freeper
I’ve been deep in the bowels of the King Ranch many times for wells we’ve drilled and You’d be better off sending a smoke signal
Biggest whitetail I've ever seen on the hoof was at the king ranch. He was running a HERD of doe and trotting like an elk, through the pasture, dragging his Wang through the mesquite and cactus. I had never seen a deer dong that could be used as a golf club before.

wonder what he scored on the Bone and Crockett scale?
Oh he was well over 200 inches. I've been hunting since I was a little toddler and scoring bucks on the hoof is something I freaking love doing. There's a running competition in my entire family between all the boy cousins and uncles. It's a matter of pride when you can score one within an inch or so. Absolutely love doing that.

…..uh Clob….I wasn't asking about the Boone and Crockett.....

ok,ok….it was a dumb joke....just the best I could come up with on the fly.....

ADVERTISEMENT