ADVERTISEMENT

OT; fishing

@StrangerHorn what do you use for tide times and wind projections locally? I use magicseaweed app & tides4fishing which are usually close to actual conditions but have a tendency to swing and miss like a national weatherman.
Tide height and draw is pretty important to me

Reactions: StrangerHorn
@StrangerHorn what do you use for tide times and wind projections locally? I use magicseaweed app & tides4fishing which are usually close to actual conditions but have a tendency to swing and miss like a national weatherman.
Tide height and draw is pretty important to me

I go by the Farmers Alamac for tides and for wind projections my neighbor who flies the Hurricane Hunter Weather plane outa NAS eveyday at 5 in the morning.......LOL....

I go by the Farmers Alamac for tides and for wind projections my neighbor who flies the Hurricane Hunter Weather plane outa NAS eveyday at 5 in the morning.......LOL....
Nice contact to have, it's cheating, but still nice.

Just a heads up the tide, wind & solunar are all lined up for an excellent weekend to fish. Wifey and kid are begging for the beach so I'm thinking I'll drag them down to the lower Big Shell area on PINS.
Not as much rainwater muddying everything up down there.

I guess I might just need to publish my own fishing almanac, it doesn't involve tides, moons, planetary alignments or any of that bullshit. I run to rockport and fish aransas, st charles, and mesquite bays including cedar bayou from april through thanksgiving weekend every year. I have never ever consulted an almanac. I hunt fish. My bud's stroke and the recent storms along the texas gulf coast has slowed my opportunities so far this year but, dang it, I always, always box fish. Fish don't come to you, you go to them. Cmon man.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I guess I might just need to publish my own fishing almanac, it doesn't involve tides, moons, planetary alignments or any of that bullshit. I run to rockport and fish aransas, st charles, and mesquite bays including cedar bayou from april through thanksgiving weekend every year. I have never ever consulted an almanac. I hunt fish. My bud's stroke and the recent storms along the texas gulf coast has slowed my opportunities so far this year but, dang it, I always, always box fish. Fish don't come to you, you go to them. Cmon man.
Yeah, but have you ever taken familiy camping 40+ miles down PINS without knowing how high the tides were going to run? It's a good way to lose everything, including the truck. This time of year we get a lot of "bull tides" where the water will push up into the dunes. Not too fun trying to pack everything up and then slosh through 40 miles of crashing waves back to the entrance.
If we were taking the boat out this weekend my only concerns would be sustained windspeed and an ample supply of fishing beverages.

Yeah, I used to fish big shell/little shell years ago. Good fishin but talk about roughin it? Burned up a couple of transmissions also. With age catchin up to me I decided to get a fifth wheel which I have parked in Rockport/Fulton right on Fulton beach rd. I stick to the bays these days.

Nice contact to have, it's cheating, but still nice.

Just a heads up the tide, wind & solunar are all lined up for an excellent weekend to fish. Wifey and kid are begging for the beach so I'm thinking I'll drag them down to the lower Big Shell area on PINS.
Not as much rainwater muddying everything up down there.
Be careful the Tides are ripping bad, had 3 drown this week...

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
Be careful the Tides are ripping bad, had 3 drown this week...
Yep, we're at the visitors center getting washed up right now. Plenty of beach between dunes & water, wind barely hit 10mph and clear water was unfortunatly still a good 75yds off the beach. Lots of blacktips, drum and obviously hardheads.
Also, an unlimited supply of idiots digging trenches and laying debris in the right of way the first 15 or so miles.

Riptide has calmed down considerably. Next trip will be slinging slot reds inshore while looking for a new truck/boat combo. 😆

Yep, we're at the visitors center getting washed up right now. Plenty of beach between dunes & water, wind barely hit 10mph and clear water was unfortunatly still a good 75yds off the beach. Lots of blacktips, drum and obviously hardheads.
Also, an unlimited supply of idiots digging trenches and laying debris in the right of way the first 15 or so miles.

Riptide has calmed down considerably. Next trip will be slinging slot reds inshore while looking for a new truck/boat combo. 😆

Plus it is hot as hell

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!

Catch one of them tagged fish in the star tournament, you might get your boat, truck, or both.

Serious question-- when you're kayaking, do you have your fins with you? In case you need to swim out of something?

I ask because I was in Cabo years ago doing a kayak fish with a frog that brought his flippers. I thought he was nuts. But he made a good case.

Serious question-- when you're kayaking, do you have your fins with you? In case you need to swim out of something?

I ask because I was in Cabo years ago doing a kayak fish with a frog that brought his flippers. I thought he was nuts. But he made a good case.
Dude, that's funny but no. Thick sole hiking boots with ray guards if I'm in the bay because walking on oysters suck....really sucks. Most places I fish can be walked out and I havn't kayaked out shark bait in a long time. Besides, I'm very confident in my rescue swimming ability, probably to a fault.

ADVERTISEMENT