ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Have ya Noticed?

StrangerHorn

Jan 6, 2020
That there are no more Toddle Houses or Pik Nik Grills or Waffle Houses anymore? A part of America has almost vanished if not gone the way of the Drive In Theater, I always enjoyed a Good breakfast at 3-4 in the morn before going home and sleeping all day after partying all night, watch them fix ya food right in front of ya while ya read the paper, a part of America' that is missed...F McDonalds for breakfast!

Miss the Toddle House at 19th and Guadalupe! and the Pik Nik at 38th and Guadalupe! Open all night!, you could watch them clean the grill in front of ya and Coffee was a quarter a cup!

Miss the Toddle House at 19th and Guadalupe! and the Pik Nik at 38th and Guadalupe! Open all night!, you could watch them clean the grill in front of ya and Coffee was a quarter a cup!
SH there are still all night diners. There are greasy spoon joints all over the place these days. Granted, small town greasy spoons that used to be open all night have given way to 24 hour big names like whataburger and taco cabana, but your larger cities have a plethora of 24 hour joints. It's not that they are disappearing, it's that you live in a community that doesn't have a draw for 24 hour food.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
Don't know about the other places that you're talking about SH, but Waffle Houses are everywhere.

When I was playing in Hou, after the gig we would head to Kip's Big Boy, kinda sleezy, but a good buffet for 3 in the am.

I live about 2 miles from a waffle house. I'm also about 2 miles from this other place that sells Chicken and Waffles. I've never been there, but I always see a lot of cars in their parking lot.

ok....how about the best of the best hangover "curers"...Dobbs House?.. Back in the day at UT we either hit those, or went for the always fabulous...Vans PanCake house....best graffittii ever!

ok....how about the best of the best hangover "curers"...Dobbs House?.. Back in the day at UT we either hit those, or went for the always fabulous...Vans PanCake house....best graffittii ever!
Kerbey lane or GTFO.

10 years after I was graduated.
Welp, that explains it. My mom graduated in 68. She used to live a couple of blocks off Guadalupe to the west, in a boarding house. A boarding house-- if you can believe that sh!t. Dad would drive down from west Texas on the weekends and had to get a hotel room because no dudes were allowed in the boarding house. Oh and PS-- they were married. So after April of 66, if my old man wanted some "quality time" with his wife, he had to drag ass from Amarillo/canyon Texas, all the way to Austin and then rent a room in a flea bag motel off the interstate, and eat cheap Mexican food to survive. He'd knock on the front door and the house mother would make him wait outside while she went upstairs to collect mom, with her overnight bag in tow, and dad would throw her in his 64 Chevy pick up and spirit her away to the nearest motel for a weekend of dollar meals, dive bars, and quality time. I give my pops credit-- it's 497 miles from Amarillo to austin-- round trip is almost 1000 miles. You've gotta be in some serious kind of love to drive that round trip over and over again just for a girl.

I attended 1968-1972. There were only 4 all night restaurants that I knew of: the Nighthawk (my parents went in the 30s), a big place at 19th and Guadalupe, the Pike at 32nd and 35, and the truck stop at Ben White and 35. If you dated a girl from Scottish Rite, you had to check her in and out like a library book. At Kinsolving, you had the desk ring the room, but she didn't have to be checked back in. A friend from the dorm (San Jac) had a gig as the bouncer at a sorority. I spelled him a few times. We were there to keep frat boys from entering the rooms. The good old days.

that big place at 19th and Guadalupe was Van's.It was billed as Van's Pancake House, but they had everything. The grafittii in the mens bathroom was so damned good that many,many guys took their wives through to read it.....like trying to pee in an art gallery.

Clob….my sister started out at a boarding house called Mrs. Bledsoes. She made lifelong friends there and several of them were worth millions. She was there from 1960 to 1962 at Mrs Bledsoes.

I attended 1968-1972. There were only 4 all night restaurants that I knew of: the Nighthawk (my parents went in the 30s), a big place at 19th and Guadalupe, the Pike at 32nd and 35, and the truck stop at Ben White and 35. If you dated a girl from Scottish Rite, you had to check her in and out like a library book. At Kinsolving, you had the desk ring the room, but she didn't have to be checked back in. A friend from the dorm (San Jac) had a gig as the bouncer at a sorority. I spelled him a few times. We were there to keep frat boys from entering the rooms. The good old days.

So your saying you was in the Panty Raids at Scottish Rite and Kinsolving?

that big place at 19th and Guadalupe was Van's.It was billed as Van's Pancake House, but they had everything. The grafittii in the mens bathroom was so damned good that many,many guys took their wives through to read it.....like trying to pee in an art gallery.

Clob….my sister started out at a boarding house called Mrs. Bledsoes. She made lifelong friends there and several of them were worth millions. She was there from 1960 to 1962 at Mrs Bledsoes.

The Toddle House was around the corner i guess across from Connellys florist?

Reactions: oldhorn2
Missed out on that. I think that it was before my time.

It was when the FB guys was still at Moore Hill Hall, now theres a name ya never hear anymore 72...it musta been early 60's them 72, had the cops out there all the time keeping them guys from fleeching them poodle skirts...

ha!...panty raids.....a bunch of candy asses standing out there on the lawn yelling and the girls tossing panties out the window!....I agree with Clob…..what in the hell for?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT