ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HEB or Walmart

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
My favorite HEB excuse for not having something on the shelves or runnin outa something is, Well, the truck didn't make it last night or That will be in tonight and the same with Walmart, if we here on the BB had a store, you would make sure ya had enough till next truck, I mean ya can't sell it if ya don't have it and Moneys then name of the game, I guarantee Groceries went up in prices in the last 3 months, a 1000 bill ain't shit st HEB Or Walmart anymore

giphy.gif

HEB never does me wrong. I tend to hit the stores on the weekend though so more than likely they’re restocked. I unfortunately haven’t retired so weekdays don’t happen oftern.

I've always wondered if these "farmer's market" produce are really fresher than HEB'S or do they get theirs from similar sources. We do have local Brookshires that have a nice, clean, organized produce selection although more expensive than HEB.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
HEB is no longer in the grocery business.

I know--- sounds weird, right?

But it's true. HEB is no longer in the grocery business. HEB is in the real estate business. Look at all the new HEBs that have been built. There's always a shopping center built adjacent to them. Just like the one's here in New Braunfels. HEB brick and mortars the shopping centers and then rents that out to the local mom and pop liquor store or the mega haircut chain, or the whataburger-chickfilet-taco cabana guys.

HEB makes WAY more money in property than they do selling you jokers food.

I've always wondered if these "farmer's market" produce are really fresher than HEB'S or do they get theirs from similar sources. We do have local Brookshires that have a nice, clean,

But it's true. HEB is no longer in the grocery business. HEB is in the real estate business. Look at all the new HEBs that have been built. There's always a shopping center built adjacent to them. Just like the one's here in New Braunfels. HEB brick and mortars the shopping centers and then rents that out to the local mom and pop liquor store or the mega haircut chain, or the whataburger-chickfilet-taco cabana guys.

I’m fine with that as long as the produce and meat keep looking good I’ll keep shopping there. Also can’t beat the ones with a beer bar in them.

True, but oh by the way, they're making a killing on profits from selling groceries in their stores too. Smart business. Win-win.

Tom Thumb is where I shop or Piggly Wiggly sometimes
Jesus Christ. You shop at the HEB on 306. The Gucci-B.

And btw-- on a serious note--- in that shopping center where the doomed to fail Dick's BBQ used to be (wtf were those guys thinking?) Is a Thai noodle restaurant called baan oy. You should stop in there and tell her you know Clob and try her shrimp wanton with noodles. Legit.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Prepackaged meat at Walmart. Don't buy it.
Never understood why people don't buy meat from their local butcher. Many local butchers have arrangements from local ranchers and you know what you're getting, because you can drive by the dang ranch and actually LOOK at the cows and what they're eating.

Never understood why people don't buy meat from their local butcher. Many local butchers have arrangements from local ranchers and you know what you're getting, because you can drive by the dang ranch and actually LOOK at the cows and what they're eating.

We all don’t live in the country Clob but if I did I would. I do get my eggs from my mother in law and my honey from a friend that is a bee keeper. Other than that it’s HEB pretty much.

Jesus Christ. You shop at the HEB on 306. The Gucci-B.

And btw-- on a serious note--- in that shopping center where the doomed to fail Dick's BBQ used to be (wtf were those guys thinking?) Is a Thai noodle restaurant called baan oy. You should stop in there and tell her you know Clob and try her shrimp wanton with noodles. Legit.
You are correct for some reason I reverted back to my Dallas days, Tom Thumb and Piggly Wiggly. I gotta say this HEB on 306has me spoiled with their curbside service, I can order online in private now without having to hear the snickers as I walk the isles with my basket overflowing with TV dinners.

A word to the wise, don’t order your steaks online from HEB curbside. Keep in mind you have high school kids fulfilling your order and they don’t always read and follow instructions. I once ordered the ribeyes that were advertised as 1.25” thick but high school kid didn’t give a damn and picked me out some nice 3/4”ers that were about 1/2” once cooked, so always go pick out your own steaks, I should have known

Reactions: DHHorn

Walmart fired their butchers years ago.

A word to the wise, don’t order your steaks online from HEB curbside. Keep in mind you have high school kids fulfilling your order and they don’t always read and follow instructions. I once ordered the ribeyes that were advertised as 1.25” thick but high school kid didn’t give a damn and picked me out some nice 3/4”ers that were about 1/2” once cooked, so always go pick out your own steaks, I should have known

I think sometimes HEB has those high school kids cutting the steaks too. I've bought some before that were uneven. They were thick on one end and then tapered down towards the other end. You couldn't see it until you took it out of the package to cook it. It's happened several times at my HEB, pisses me off. I'm with Clob, go to the local meat market if you can.

Reactions: Belldozer1
So it appears we have some steak snobs around. I buy nothing but Prime but am not good enough to know how to identify good marbling or proper cut. However I would like to hear how y'all cook yours.

I don't have a good charcoal grill and do mine on a high end gas with just olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Cook as hot as it will go to medium at the most. I have heard some do theirs in the oven. Any expert tips out there?

So it appears we have some steak snobs around. I buy nothing but Prime but am not good enough to know how to identify good marbling or proper cut. However I would like to hear how y'all cook yours.

I don't have a good charcoal grill and do mine on a high end gas with just olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. Cook as hot as it will go to medium at the most. I have heard some do theirs in the oven. Any expert tips out there?

Try a Tomahawk reverse seared. Melts like butter! There’s plenty of videos on how to. I normally do a steak in a cast iron with olive oil and butter. Kosher salt & coarse black pepper only.

Reactions: oldschoolcat

Except that they probably lease the store as does your Walmart. So you'll have to explain the real estate profits to me

I use various oils (grapeseed lately), kosher salt, and pepper. I prefer my steaks well-done, with ketchup on the side.

I use various oils (grapeseed lately), kosher salt, and pepper. I prefer my steaks well-done, with ketchup on the side.
My father in law approves of your culinary preferences. He eats and serves his steaks in a similar fashion. $2.99 per pound sirloin cooked like jerky.

I reverse sear on my Big Green Egg

I get mine at Mr Moody"s clob..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT