ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Hill Country home purchase

132111080-3860465540653346-5642402865403273781-o.jpg

I think of Wimberley as a ruined town.It was heaven back in the '60s but so many moved in from Dallas and Houston that it is just bloated. We had a ranch there between Driftwood and Wimberley that I sold in the late 90's....and it was sad then.

I had Blanco on my radar but was concerned it may be a bit far out. I’ll check it out.
It is and isn't. Kinda all depends on what an acceptable commute is to someone.

I've almost always maintained an hour commute everywhere I've lived because #1) I dont like city living & #2) More bang for my realestate dollar

Ultimately, I'm gonna have to suck it up and get used to close neighbors again once all this covid hysteria moves on. Wifey is dead set on waterfront somewhere between Rockport and Mustang Island. I talked her down to being on a canal to mitigate some storm surge issues. Just gotta wait until I can legally/morally boot 5month late tennants from our NC house and sell.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
I think of Wimberley as a ruined town. It was heaven back in the '60s but so many moved in from Dallas and Houston that it is just bloated. We had a ranch there between Driftwood and Wimberley that I sold in the late 90's....and it was sad then.

I've got a friend who just moved from NB to Wimberly and he complains about how liberal it is there. Drives him nuts.

There’s a Subd. Called Havenwood that I like and have several friends that live there. It’s fairly close to town, New Braunfels, gated etc

Ditto this. No city taxes and right between NB and San Marcos. Easy drive to Austin or SA. Houses and lots are selling fast here so you have to jump on it quick if you see something you like. It’s also a very conservative community.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
I've got a friend who just moved from NB to Wimberly and he complains about how liberal it is there. Drives him nuts.
Damn right. Wimberley to Dripping Spings to Austin is the new California lib pipeline. Wimberley used to be just hippies and cedar choppers.

Last edited:
Reactions: StrangerHorn
I think of Wimberley as a ruined town.It was heaven back in the '60s but so many moved in from Dallas and Houston that it is just bloated. We had a ranch there between Driftwood and Wimberley that I sold in the late 90's....and it was sad then.
Damn that’s nice country, that ranch would be worth a fortune today.

Ever been to La Ventana just out of Driftwood? Our ranch is the “Preserve” section of that....or was I mean.

Did you sell it to the developers?

I did sell to the developer of the La Ventana outfit. You can Google it. As soon as he bought the Hinkle ranch to my North it was all over. He drilled a big irrigation well to feed his development and that was pretty much the end of Flat Creek as a beautiful little river. The water table dropped to China.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Damn right. Wimberley to Dripping Spings to Austin is the new California lib pipeline. Wimberley used to be just hippies and cedar choppers.

I used to go to Wimb in the 60's to buy dope, would buy a hefty garbage bag full of buds fora 100 buck then from them Country Hippies,,,

I saw that sh!t. I laughed so fvcking hard I almost shart myself. Fvcking D-Bag liberal follows his friends out to Austin to be trendy and realizes what I've been saying for years. Austin is now trying to BE cool. And like Steve McQueen said "if you have to try to be cool, you're not fvcking cool."

I would add that the dude is an absolute pussy. The guy screams soft.

Reactions: RoboCocks21

Haha . . . nope fellas . . . not me. It's likely the pvssy in the car below on his way out of the state. I read the article and my first thought is this guy is an idiot and has zero judgement and decision-making skills. He's coming from San Diego: awesome weather, somewhat shielded from the stupid liberals in LA County and the Bay Area, and a military presence that keeps things relatively balanced. Why did he leave and what was he looking for and expecting? Didn't he do some window shopping and realize Austin housing and property taxes can be spendy (although no where near La Jolla prices)? Didn't he take a pre-move trip and immediately feel the cedar allergies coming on?

So, he can't tolerate heat, high AC prices, and cedar allergies. Those are nuisances. So, how will he handle real adversity?

He's pissed because the TX non-union school system actually requires students to attend class and complete homework assignments. In the CA unionized school systems, students are still at home because the teachers don't want to go to work. I guess he doesn't have any expectations for his kids.

And, the clearest indication of his laughable decision-making skills is he winds up in the Bay Area with all of its problems. Let's hope he's not a C-level executive for one of your employers; based on his decision-making skills, I wouldn't bet on the stock price.

Yes, the heat sucks and the cedar is horrendous. But, we deal with it and we're grateful to live in a state where self-determination is valued. This guy needs a government to tell him how to live.

I looked all over and last June decided to build at Kissing Tree. Moving there in a few weeks. Looking forward to it.

Wow, I remember this thread, 3 years ago, and both LMM and stranger were involved.
Kissing Tree? San Marcos right? That has always caught my eye. Love the area. They build for you?

Wow, I remember this thread, 3 years ago, and both LMM and stranger were involved.
Kissing Tree? San Marcos right? That has always caught my eye. Love the area. They build for you?
Yes. Brookfield out of Toronto is the developer. This will be a major downsize from the home I raised a family in but guarded and gated and the perfect lock and leave + the amenities made it attractive to me.

Yes. Brookfield out of Toronto is the developer. This will be a major downsize from the home I raised a family in but guarded and gated and the perfect lock and leave + the amenities made it attractive to me.
Are these pre-fab homes or just pre-planned homes?

Are these pre-fab homes or just pre-planned homes?
I live right down the road from Kissing Tree. Very nice community if you’re looking to retire there. It’s a 55+ community and most homes are pre planned. Amenities there are top notch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT