ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Homemade salsa. Tips?

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
Ok, so I have been on a "making my own salsa" trip lately. I've been using my homegrown tomato's and peppers (both regular jalapeno's and once with grown ghost peppers). I use your normal ingredients (onions, tomato's, diced tomato's with chili's, hatch chili's, cilantro, and some garlic) and blend it up. I've tinkered with the volume of each of the ingredients to get different results. I've had some good results and honestly, I like the freshness of it all, especially after letting it marinate in the fridge 5-6 hours after blending. The flavor really comes out after that.

I was just wondering if anyone on this illustrious board has made their own, and if there are any tips/ingredients/suggestions anyone would like to share?

Hook Em!

Home made hot sauce is always a favorite of mine. But ironically, every one of my batches taste a bit different. I use garden tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro--- garden onions if I can find any. Farmers market usually has some.

Peppers-- my mom has grown jalapeños, Serrano, and chili Paquin or (petine) however you want to pronounce it--- but you've got to careful with those little bastards...... some of them are super hot and some of them are so hot you literally want to die.

But ya, my whole point was, try as I might, I can't get my salsa to be consistent.

forget the Hatch....use chili piquins for authentic....and put in cilantro or GTFO
Agreed. Hatch is for sell outs. Move to new mexico if you love hatch. Chili piquins are no joke. Gotta be careful. Those little bastards start off slow and then avalanche on you. Within about 3 minutes you're wondering where the ceiling is--- and you're hoping to get there rapidly.

Haven’t seen cumin, salt, a little lime, and a dash of white pepper mentioned. I also do the onion and lime first so the lime can ’cook’ the onions a little.

Haven’t seen cumin, salt, a little lime, and a dash of white pepper mentioned. I also do the onion and lime first so the lime can ’cook’ the onions a little.
Good point. Never underestimate citrus juice and it's chemical properties.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Hatch is for California folks.....leave it there.No on cumin.....and I like tomatillos. As far as chili piquin (chili pitin or chili del monte) they are basically the same critter. I like the round ones, the long ones and the pruple ones. I have raised em all for decades and get them going everywhere....sorta like Johnny Appleseed.

I let em go red late in the year and put em in the fridge to dry. (a fridge is an excellent slow dehydrator) I may leave em there for a year. I currently have a 2 pound can of the dried flakes.....that crap is about 20 times hotter than the stuff you put on pizza.

For plain eating, always go with the green ones. I will eat about 20 of em with a steak, or chicken, but never fish.

Hatch is for California folks.....leave it there.No on cumin.....and I like tomatillos. As far as chili piquin (chili pitin or chili del monte) they are basically the same critter. I like the round ones, the long ones and the pruple ones. I have raised em all for decades and get them going everywhere....sorta like Johnny Appleseed.

I let em go red late in the year and put em in the fridge to dry. (a fridge is an excellent slow dehydrator) I may leave em there for a year. I currently have a 2 pound can of the dried flakes.....that crap is about 20 times hotter than the stuff you put on pizza.
Dad used to set them in the kitchen window. When they dried out, he'd put them in a pepper grinder. I swear to God when he made a pot of beef chili, all it took was two twists of that pepper grinder and you could barely eat that chili.

Three twists was a deal breaker.

The best is to keep it simple and not add a buncha extra shit to it, when I make it sometimes I use Serrano or Habnero or PQins when I can, fresh tomatoes and onions, never do i put Cilantro in mine, remember that fresh Salsa only last so long in the fridge, but if ya can it then its a whole diff story, its for the ones who got serious about it.....

The best is to keep it simple and not add a buncha extra shit to it, when I make it sometimes I use Serrano or Habnero or PQins when I can, fresh tomatoes and onions, never do i put Cilantro in mine, remember that fresh Salsa only last so long in the fridge, but if ya can it then its a whole diff story, its for the ones who got serious about it.....
Thanks Stranger-Made a fresh batch Saturday and taking it to Port A tomorrow. Will be there until Sunday and hope to get a deep sea fishing trip in, my daughters love going out.

Thanks Stranger-Made a fresh batch Saturday and taking it to Port A tomorrow. Will be there until Sunday and hope to get a deep sea fishing trip in, my daughters love going out.

I haven't had a chance to go out as I been driving the shuttle to Audie in SA for the Vets, Lots of them with Covid and sick, well ya know someones gotta care about them , maybe next week me and the boys will get some Summer Sausage and Shiner and hit it!

Be careful of the Rip Tides Bro! and have fun! They an sneak up on ya fast...

Enough of the foreplay and d*ck measuring in this thread let’s see some recipes. I don’t make salsa that often but have in the past, I’ve usually just made recipes I’ve found on the net

Reactions: StrangerHorn
Enough of the foreplay and d*ck measuring in this thread let’s see some recipes. I don’t make salsa that often but have in the past, I’ve usually just made recipes I’ve found on the net

I use this minus the cilantro, you can chose which peppers ya want, I use Serrano most of time when I can't get PQuinn's

Fast version
  • 1 can Rotel Original Diced Tomtaoes & Green Chilies, (14.5-oz)
  • 1 can whole tomatoes plus juice, (14.5-oz)
  • 1 T canned diced jalapenos
  • ¼ cup diced yellow onion
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 to 2 T chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ¼ tsp sugar
  • 1 T fresh lime juice
You an always play with it till ya get what ya want....use fresh tomaoes.. or cut the clantro

I use this minus the cilantro, you can chose which peppers ya want, I use Serrano most of time when I can't get PQuinn's

Fast version
  • 1 can Rotel Original Diced Tomtaoes & Green Chilies, (14.5-oz)
  • 1 can whole tomatoes plus juice, (14.5-oz)
  • 1 T canned diced jalapenos
  • ¼ cup diced yellow onion
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 to 2 T chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ¼ tsp sugar
  • 1 T fresh lime juice
You an always play with it till ya get what ya want....use fresh tomaoes.. or cut the clantro
Nice. Thanks

Hatch is used in West Texas everywhere, so being from west Texas we stock up every year. We use it for chili Verde con Carne, green chicken enchiladas, and whatever else my mom or wife can come up with using it. Never use for salsa though.
It’s the real deal. What most people don’t know is that there is mild, medium, hot, extra hot and lumbre. Nonetheless, my favorite salsa is jalapeño based.

It’s the real deal. What most people don’t know is that there is mild, medium, hot, extra hot and lumbre. Nonetheless, my favorite salsa is jalapeño based.

The extra hot and some chili Verde con carne will torch your starfish if you aren't careful and will clear you out.

I've made my own homemade salsa for years with fresh ingredients. Here is my go-to salsa now. It is amazing, and people think that it's fresh, but the main core is from a can. Try it. You'll be amazed how good that it is!

1 10 oz. can of hot Rotel (I prefer the HEB brand-extra hot)
1 7 oz. can of Herdez Salsa Casera (hot)
Fresh jalapeno and/or serrano peppers
Onion
Cilantro
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

Put all of ingredients in a blender and pulse for about five seconds. Serve with your preferred tortilla chips (I like the fresh-made HEB brand) Enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT