ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If you had a large amount of

Hookedonit

Mar 21, 2018
Cash in the bank what would be the smartest thing to do with it to insure if the US dollar collapsed you would have more than worthless paper ? Serious question.

Physical assets, a shovel is worth more than paper. Obviously gold and silver are strong assets, but right now land is probably the best place to put your money. How bad do you think things are going to get? That will determine the level of your preparedness. You think things are going to get SHTF bad then guns and ammo plus food is a great place to put your money.

Reactions: westx
In my opinion..... Commodities will be the best. They are still at a very low price. I would diversify my commidity holdings. In the long run, agriculture is going to be the best. If I did not have my own currency trading platform which arbitrages commodity-backed currencies, I would buy RJI etf. It holds and rolls actual futures contracts. Small cap stocks are ok as well. Look for a quality small-cap etf.

RJI
Agriculture 40.9%
Energy 24.36%
Industrial Metals 16.67%
Precious Metals 14.23%
Livestock 3.85%

https://www.etf.com/RJI#overview

Last edited:
You'd have to define what a large amount is. Over a million-- then yes, get it the fvck out of the bank and into something like metals or stones. Stones are easiest to transport and have a smaller footprint. If you need assistance with that, I know people in Africa so that you can buy uncut or finished (mine cut) product before the mark up. Gold is easy to find but cumbersome.

I have a friend that I used to work with - he came across a similar problem after his Bitcoin bet paid of handsomely. He ended up starting a private equity firm using his own money initially, it is almost all land based physical assets, feel free to give it a look, pax equity.

This is not an endorsement, just a friend who had a similar problem and this is how he went about solving it.

Reactions: DrinkToIt
Physical assets (land, real estate)
RJI
GBTC
ETHE

Not an endorsement; just what I've done with cash

I will only add to always have some cash on hand. Jim Rickards recommends it in case of deflation

In my opinion..... Commodities will be the best. They are still at a very low price. I would diversify my commidity holdings. In the long run, agriculture is going to be the best. If I did not have my own currency trading platform which arbitrages commodity-backed currencies, I would buy RJI etf. It holds and rolls actual futures contracts. Small cap stocks are ok as well. Look for a quality small-cap etf.

RJI
Agriculture 40.9%
Energy 24.36%
Industrial Metals 16.67%
Precious Metals 14.23%
Livestock 3.85%

https://www.etf.com/RJI#overview
Pretty interesting breakdown. Fun fact: Bill Gates owns the most farmland that is actively producing in the country. Rumour has it, he believes rural america may one day divorce urban areas due to political differences so he wants to be the only friendly farmer that'll stock city grocery stores. Smart dude.

Pretty interesting breakdown. Fun fact: Bill Gates owns the most farmland that is actively producing in the country. Rumour has it, he believes rural america may one day divorce urban areas due to political differences so he wants to be the only friendly farmer that'll stock city grocery stores. Smart dude.
I saw an article on this but didn’t think about it the way you are Fresh. I do agree that urban areas have nothing economically, socially, or culturally in common with the fly over states. If I had to break up the union I would generally do it along those lines. And I sure as hell don’t want Gates being the largest land owner on my side.

I saw an article on this but didn’t think about it the way you are Fresh. I do agree that urban areas have nothing economically, socially, or culturally in common with the fly over states. If I had to break up the union I would generally do it along those lines. And I sure as hell don’t want Gates being the largest land owner on my side.
I need to read this. I had no idea. Link?

Years ago my BIL worked for Lee Bass as his ranch maintenance foreman. Lee was regularly entertaining the rich and famous and my BIL was always required in attendence to keep things running. I told him to get off his lazy ass and listen in to find out what the big boys were investing in. He said I already know that.....water rights! I said water rights!...are you crazy?...He said those guys were certain it was the only thing worth buying.

That was 25 years ago.

P.S.....if you dont know who Lee Bass is you might look him up...

Nevermind. I found it.

Gates thinks he is going to be your feudalistic lord. The serfs will work his land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_to_Serfdom

All good responses. One other possibility. Move to New Zealand. Looks like the U.S. in the 1950s. With better roads and food.

All good responses. One other possibility. Move to New Zealand. Looks like the U.S. in the 1950s. With better roads and food.
True. And the stag hunting, fishing and river rafting is world class.

New Zealand is appealing only because it is so isolated and no super power would waste a nuke on them. In truth it is no safer than any other place on earth, if the value is there they will become a prize worth attacking just like any other place on earth. With all the ultra rich people buying places there, I'd imagine locals are getting pretty pissed at the rise in living costs. When that happens the rich become a target.

New Zealand is appealing only because it is so isolated and no super power would waste a nuke on them. In truth it is no safer than any other place on earth, if the value is there they will become a prize worth attacking just like any other place on earth. With all the ultra rich people buying places there, I'd imagine locals are getting pretty pissed at the rise in living costs. When that happens the rich become a target.

Exactly, the USA is prolly the best place. Learn to scrap it out.... be frugal.... learn some of the lost skills of the past. Hunting, fishing, gardening, livestock, diy auto repair, etc...Make yourself bulletproof. Use the upcoming inflationary boom to pay off any debt and stay debt free. I love to flip stuff for a profit. Learn a market and flip stuff into inflation. It's a great way to make extra cash.

Exactly, the USA is prolly the best place. Learn to scrap it out.... be frugal.... learn some of the lost skills of the past. Hunting, fishing, gardening, livestock, diy auto repair, etc...Make yourself bulletproof. Use the upcoming inflationary boom to pay off any debt and stay debt free. I love to flip stuff for a profit. Learn a market and flip stuff into inflation. It's a great way to make extra cash.
Hungary or Poland are my back up destinations. I've got friends and banking connections. Also getting your hands on old Soviet hardware is relatively simple.

Hungary or Poland are my back up destinations. I've got friends and banking connections. Also getting your hands on old Soviet hardware is relatively simple.

Eastern Europe is a fantastic place. It is primed for economic growth. It would be one of my preferred destinations outside USA.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
True. And the stag hunting, fishing and river rafting is world class.
The stag are farm raised. Best case you can find a large high fence ranch, but they aren't native.

The food is awful.

The women are homely and all look alike.

It's stuck in a time warp and the people talk funny.

Other than that it is magnificent. But even with vacation blinders on, we are still in the best spot on the planet.

Reactions: oldhorn2
The stag are farm raised. Best case you can find a large high fence ranch, but they aren't native.

The food is awful.

Other than that it is magnificent. But even with vacation blinders on, we are still in the best spot on the planet.
Oh I don't doubt that. I'm playing the "what if" game.

We can factor in several variables with the what if game.
Bu- banking t-
Pvssy? Ukraine, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic--

Land what if game?

Hungary
Ukraine
Russia
China
Mexico

Guns what if game?

Congo
Angola
Niger
Yemen
Sudan

It all come down to what you're searching for.

I want to be left alone. Right now the governments of Hungary and Poland will leave me the fvck alone. I can buy a place and some land and grow things and quietly dismantle and bring my arms over-- and be left alone.

France is tough. I would love to be in France. But banking laws in France suck.

The food is awful.

Do I need to repeat my findings when I was in Moscow 5 years ago? The one thing I know about Eastern European slavic women is, they are all hot. And bonus is that they are not femiNazis. In fact they are some of the most marriable women on the plant due to their family values.

Do I need to repeat my findings when I was in Moscow 5 years ago? The one thing I know about Eastern European slavic women is, they are all hot. And bonus is that they are not femiNazis. In fact they are some of the most marriable women on the plant due to their family values.
He's right about that. Plus eastern European women don't have any sexual hang ups.

Ya.

You're thinking it now.

Chocolate starfish, yo.

Uh huh.

They like the dirty.

Oh I don't doubt that. I'm playing the "what if" game.

We can factor in several variables with the what if game.
Bu- banking t-
Pvssy? Ukraine, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic--

Land what if game?

Hungary
Ukraine
Russia
China
Mexico

Guns what if game?

Congo
Angola
Niger
Yemen
Sudan

It all come down to what you're searching for.

I want to be left alone. Right now the governments of Hungary and Poland will leave me the fvck alone. I can buy a place and some land and grow things and quietly dismantle and bring my arms over-- and be left alone.

France is tough. I would love to be in France. But banking laws in France suck.
Interesting that Poland appears to be taking more steps to protect free speech than “the land of the free.” I like France, especially the countryside. It’s a shame what their open borders policies are doing to that country. If they could resolve their immigration issues, France would rise toward the top 3 of my “escape to” list.

ADVERTISEMENT