ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Serious question for you 40+ dudes

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
So I always do my best to take care of myself: eat right, in the gym 4-5 times a week, take vitamins, once a year health check up etc--

So last weekend after going down to corpus on Sat, I met some friends in Austin Sunday for Thai food. I love spicy food as do most of us, but it made my stomach a little upset, and when I got home, I crushed the throne. Now, call me crazy, but I'm a baby wipe guy. Aloe, with cucumber scent. It just cleans that region better than TP-- try it if you don't believe me--

Anyway, I noticed I had blood in my stool. Not "Holy shit I popped an artery" kind of blood, but definitely enough to make me go "hmmmm that's odd". First one of you MFers that suggests it's my time of the month gets a knuckle sammich.

Anyhow, it's continued every day with every trip to the can. I'm a 3x a day guy so you can imagine how frustrating this is. My question is, is this just part of getting old? Does your butt hole bleed from time to time when you get old? I don't feel bad, had a colonoscopy about a year ago that was perfect. Never had hemorrhoids before- had a minor ulcer in my stomach in college but that surely can't be it. Just curious if this is cause for alarm or not. I'm not calling my gastro guy yet because I know what he'll want to do and I'm in no mood to have his blacksmith sized hands near my balloon knot-- webmd says it could just be stress and spicy food but I'm curious if ye olde farts have had the same thing happen.

Reactions: Belldozer1
How much blood are you seeing? A lot in the bowl, or just a little on the TP? If it has continued for six days, as you say, better be safe than sorry and go see your gastro doc.

As MM asked "how much". You are on the right track by ruling out some of the things you are sure it isn't. But, you really never know:
1) Hemorrhoids: These can be internal or external or both. Even in the absence of pain upon BM.
2) Ulcer at a youthful college age is a concern.
3) Fissures
4) You are NOT taking iron, right?

As MM asked "how much". You are on the right track by ruling out some of the things you are sure it isn't. But, you really never know:
1) Hemorrhoids: These can be internal or external or both. Even in the absence of pain upon BM.
2) Ulcer at a youthful college age is a concern.
3) Fissures
4) You are NOT taking iron, right?
No. I'm borderline high iron content naturally so I try to lay off too much red meat and spinach etc. The blood is bright red and only when I wipe. No floating blood in the toilet or anything. But ya, my sphincter has been sensitive pretty much every day. Not "Ouch that hurts" sensitive but more like, "this is annoying" sensation.

Honestly it's made me rethink ever asking a girl if I can knock on the backdoor anymore.

The stomach ulcer in college was caused because I was basically living on Vicodin for a semester after a knee surgery and I took WAY too much because, it worked!

No. I'm borderline high iron content naturally so I try to lay off too much red meat and spinach etc. The blood is bright red and only when I wipe. No floating blood in the toilet or anything. But ya, my sphincter has been sensitive pretty much every day. Not "Ouch that hurts" sensitive but more like, "this is annoying" sensation.

Honestly it's made me rethink ever asking a girl if I can knock on the backdoor anymore.
Bright red means the problem point is closer to the sphincter. The further up, the darker it tends to be. I am a pharmacist by profession, so I am giving you advice from that perspective. Fissure vs hemorrhoids are treated differently and you will have to get it checked out. Probably hemorrhoids which can be aggravated by hard stools. If you want to try on your own, use a stool softener(docusate) only if your stools are hard and use PrepH suppositories (and the Preparation H cream if external). The prescription meds will obviously require a diagnosis and a prescription.

Reactions: Belldozer1
So I always do my best to take care of myself: eat right, in the gym 4-5 times a week, take vitamins, once a year health check up etc--

So last weekend after going down to corpus on Sat, I met some friends in Austin Sunday for Thai food. I love spicy food as do most of us, but it made my stomach a little upset, and when I got home, I crushed the throne. Now, call me crazy, but I'm a baby wipe guy. Aloe, with cucumber scent. It just cleans that region better than TP-- try it if you don't believe me--

Anyway, I noticed I had blood in my stool. Not "Holy shit I popped an artery" kind of blood, but definitely enough to make me go "hmmmm that's odd". First one of you MFers that suggests it's my time of the month gets a knuckle sammich.

Anyhow, it's continued every day with every trip to the can. I'm a 3x a day guy so you can imagine how frustrating this is. My question is, is this just part of getting old? Does your butt hole bleed from time to time when you get old? I don't feel bad, had a colonoscopy about a year ago that was perfect. Never had hemorrhoids before- had a minor ulcer in my stomach in college but that surely can't be it. Just curious if this is cause for alarm or not. I'm not calling my gastro guy yet because I know what he'll want to do and I'm in no mood to have his blacksmith sized hands near my balloon knot-- webmd says it could just be stress and spicy food but I'm curious if ye olde farts have had the same thing happen.
You don't have a pet gerbil that went missing recently do you?jk

Last edited:
Bright red means the problem point is closer to the sphincter. The further up, the darker it tends to be. I am a pharmacist by profession, so I am giving you advice from that perspective. Fissure vs hemorrhoids are treated differently and you will have to get it checked out. Probably hemorrhoids which can be aggravated by hard stools. If you want to try on your own, use a stool softener(docusate) only if your stools are hard and use PrepH suppositories (and the Preparation H cream if external). The prescription meds will obviously require a diagnosis and a prescription.
Agree I'd try the stool softener. I've had that before and it just keeps getting aggravated without a stool softener.

More fruits and vegetables. The fiber is a natural stool softener. Caffeine constipates me so look for anything that might dehydrate you. Six to nine fruits and veggies a day with a 40/60 split, 8 cups of water, and limit the sugar and processed food. You will pinch the perfect loaf.

Last edited:
Clob....I can speak from old guy perspective. Go to your doc as soon as you can. No reason to be embarrassed about this or fearful. However....I know you think of yourself as a pretty smart guy and I bet you are that. I must ask you....one smart guy to another.....do you think asking for medical advice on a football forum is your best bet?

Seriously...get it checked out as soon as you can. It could be several things, but the fact that it is bright red and not in the stool is a good thing. The good news is it is most likely easily treatable. The bad news is that it aint gonna heal itself. Go to the doctor...you dont have to tell us any more than you want to, but go. Soon.

Reactions: diadevic
Clob....I can speak from old guy perspective. Go to your doc as soon as you can. No reason to be embarrassed about this or fearful. However....I know you think of yourself as a pretty smart guy and I bet you are that. I must ask you....one smart guy to another.....do you think asking for medical advice on a football forum is your best bet?

Seriously...get it checked out as soon as you can. It could be several things, but the fact that it is bright red and not in the stool is a good thing. The good news is it is most likely easily treatable. The bad news is that it aint gonna heal itself. Go to the doctor...you dont have to tell us any more than you want to, but go. Soon.
Meh, it's one of those things that you're supposed to ask your dad, but my old man passed away a couple of years ago so..... but upon further research, it appears I have a small hemmeroid that's easily treatable. I called my GP and he laid it out for me. I assumed hems were always "out-ies" but in reality they can be "in-ies" as well..... sort of like belly buttons.

Clob....I can speak from old guy perspective. Go to your doc as soon as you can. No reason to be embarrassed about this or fearful.
proctologist.jpg

Doctor once told us that red blood means a tear in the tissue somewhere. Stool softener or more hydration fixes that 99% of the time.

Its when the blood is darker or black that you have problems, which can be myriad.

Old Horn gave you advice which may save your life. (40 is still young) A hard stool causing blood every 5-10 years happens. Passing blood as often as you have is 'VERY' serious. Tell the doctor's office the amount of blood you're seeing and you'll be checked no later than one day from the call. I'm trying to scare you because you should be. Had a sister & sister-in-law die of colon cancer and it's about as bad a way to check out as there is. Good luck pard.

Surgeon here... so just adding a bit.

One diagnosis I haven't seen discussed which is at least somewhat important to be aware of would be diverticulosis. You may have had a clean colonoscopy within a year (which would make significant development rare, but not impossible), but diverticula are considered normal on a c-scope and are one of the more common causes of painless rectal bleeding--increasing in frequency as we age. Treatment is similar as for hemorrhoids: fiber and hydration. At times tho diverticular bleeding requires intervention. If it continues I'd recommend checking in w/ a doctor, maybe even a colorectal surgeon.

Nebraska guy here. 60 and eat mega hot foods. Don't ask for medical advice on a college football website. Schedule a physical.

You got hemoroids, you need stool softened, it's from strainning when you take a dump
And as usual, the bare naked truth from FBHORN. Yes sir. I went to the starfish Dr today and he congratulated me on my first Hroid.

Amazing how much better your balloon knot feels after some ointment......

Have fun with that ^^^^^^

Red blood is filled with oxygen & is being pumped 'from' the heart to refresh your body. Black blood is void of oxygen & on its way back to the 'station' for a refill from the lungs. After it is oxygenated, (turns red again) it follows that same route it will millions of times for us old 'coots.' Blood in stool? See doctor immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT