ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Last of the BadAsses

the F-4 is proof that if you have a big enough rocket you can make anything fly.

It had more aerodynamics moves at high altitudes then lower where it was a little sluggish and could corner on a dime in a dogfight up high and it was a gas guzzler, it could out fly the Mig hand over hand, time it got off the runway , it had to be refueled for its mission

Hook'em

Last edited:
I learned a lot about the AF planes, used to play poker with a ChiefMasterSgt at Cam Ranh. he was about to retire, you don't see them anymore I don't think, very smart man, just couldn't play poker worth a shit!

Hook'em

It had more aerodynamics moves at high altitudes then lower where it was a little sluggish and could corner on a dime in a dogfight up high and it was a gas guzzler, it could out fly the Mig hand over hand, time it got off the runway , it had to be refueled for its mission

Hook'em
Actually, it is the most unaerodynamic fighter the US has ever produced. It also had a terrible glide ratio. Something like 6 nautical miles per 5000ft altitude @ 215 knots CAS. Engines choke out, you bail out. There are no dead stick landings in that rock.
One helluva workhorse that overflows with history and prestige. It was at one time the leading distributor of MIG parts. ;)
Can only imagine how much more devastating it would have been if it had a turret.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Actually, it is the most unaerodynamic fighter the US has ever produced. It also had a terrible glide ratio. Something like 6 nautical miles per 5000ft altitude @ 215 knots CAS. Engines choke out, you bail out. There are no dead stick landings in that rock.
One helluva workhorse that overflows with history and prestige. It was at one time the leading distributor of MIG parts. ;)
Can only imagine how much more devastating it would have been if it had a turret.

TY for your info! I remember them out at Bergstrom Air base flying all over Del Valle and Austin, them I seen them overseas, I just heard they was good at high speeds and High altitude! It could sure drop the nap!

Hook'em

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
TY for your info! I remember them out at Bergstrom Air base flying all over Del Valle and Austin, them I seen them overseas, I just heard they was good at high speeds and High altitude! It could sure drop the nap!

Hook'em
Oh they were record setting in their prime. Think slamming dual 6.7L V12's in an El Camino fast.

Charlie sees them coming over ridge start shittin their pants, it meant Napalm!

Hook'em

FB, my older brother was in the Third Marines in Vietnam 1968-69. He won't talk to me or anyone else about his experiences over there. As a historian, I've tried to get him to open up and provide an oral history at least so I can transcribe it, document it, and hand it down to his grandchildren. No dice yet but he has told me two things about his service overseas.

1. He got exactly one R&R for 72 hrs and was given a choice of Singapore, Taipei or Bangkok. He didn't know shit about any of them so he chose Taipei. He and his buddy landed there, stayed drunk for 48 hrs, flew back in-country. He doesn't know where he stayed, what he saw or even really how he got back.

2. He said the loudest noise he ever heard in his life was a division of close air support F4s....screaming in just above the treetops to deliver some snake and nape to Charlie on a hilltop his company was contesting. Said the noise was just overwhelming but exhilirating and he almost felt sorry for the men in the black pajamas....

FB, my older brother was in the Third Marines in Vietnam 1968-69. He won't talk to me or anyone else about his experiences over there. As a historian, I've tried to get him to open up and provide an oral history at least so I can transcribe it, document it, and hand it down to his grandchildren. No dice yet but he has told me two things about his service overseas.

1. He got exactly one R&R for 72 hrs and was given a choice of Singapore, Taipei or Bangkok. He didn't know shit about any of them so he chose Taipei. He and his buddy landed there, stayed drunk for 48 hrs, flew back in-country. He doesn't know where he stayed, what he saw or even really how he got back.

2. He said the loudest noise he ever heard in his life was a division of close air support F4s....screaming in just above the treetops to deliver some snake and nape to Charlie on a hilltop his company was contesting. Said the noise was just overwhelming but exhilirating and he almost felt sorry for the men in the black pajamas....

I think the 3rd was in on the Hue City action, no wonder he doesn't talk. them Marines fought door to door some real fighting, shit flying thru the air from the river, running out of supplies and shit, it musta been very bad for them, Helo making night drops for resupply with no lights except a flashlight on the ground near the pad and taking wounded out, the marines still kicked ass! And yes, them little guys learned what Nap was early, the marines could not get supplies up the river as to the enemy firing on the river big time to stop them, a lotta Brave Marines died at Hue! After 6 or 7 months of that shit, you don't know where ya feelings are..
They shoulda pul the Marines back and "Arc Lighted Hue City.

Hook'em

ADVERTISEMENT