ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ZZ Top Netflix documentary

Drtxhorn

Feb 13, 2016
New Braunfels
For all you old school rocker dudes, you need to check out the ZZ Top Netflix documentary "That Little ol' Band From Texas"

You won't be disappointed. They were definitely one of a kind and unapologetically proud of their Texas roots.

The interviews and jam session for the documentary were filmed right here at Gruene Hall.

Unbelievable that they have been performing together for over 50 years with all founding members intact. The longest tenure of any band in music history including the Rolling Stones.

proud of Texas roots......but they seemed to perform everywhere but here....What was the reason they kept avoiding Texas?

proud of Texas roots......but they seemed to perform everywhere but here....What was the reason they kept avoiding Texas?

I noticed that too during my younger days. I only saw them twice. Once in Austin while I was at UT and again in SA several years later. Both sold out shows. They didn’t tour every year like most bands and they wanted it that way to try and maintain some balance in their lives. They talked about how they started on their first world tour and it went for almost 3 years straight. They were so exhausted and messed up after that and they just decided that was not the type of act they wanted to be. They took a couple years off after that tour to decompress. Had they continued as a touring band around the world they easily would have been on par with the Stones in terms of popularity and recognition. But they never wanted to get away from who they were which was just a little ol band from Texas.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
These dudes played at my mothers prom at Furr High School back when they dressed and looked like Buddy Holly. One day I'll find her old year book.

Because pics or it didn't happen lol

Reactions: Belldozer1
These dudes played at my mothers prom at Furr High School back when they dressed and looked like Buddy Holly. One day I'll find her old year book.

Because pics or it didn't happen lol

There’s similar pics and videos on this documentary showing their early years trying to get established in the Houston and Dallas music scenes. Short hair, nerd glasses, boots and jeans for the most part.

Reactions: StainedOrange
Interesting. every member of ZZ Top turns 72 this year. Other notible singers turning 72. Bruce Springstein and Billy Joel. Ozzy turns 73 this year. Jagger turns 78 this year.

Who would have thought Ozzy would make it to 73?

Madonna turns 63 this year.
Cher turns 75 this year
Olivia Newton John turns 72 this year.
Debbie Harry turns 76 this year.
Pat Benatar is the baby of the bunch at 68.

Reactions: Belldozer1
If my memory serves right (it's always A toss up on that), on September' 1st, 1974, ZZ Top performed at Memorial Stadium (DKR). Coach Royal wasn't too pleased about the turf being torn up and trashed by the crowd. I arrived the day or so after it and saw the aftermath.

For all you old school rocker dudes, you need to check out the ZZ Top Netflix documentary "That Little ol' Band From Texas"

You won't be disappointed. They were definitely one of a kind and unapologetically proud of their Texas roots.

The interviews and jam session for the documentary were filmed right here at Gruene Hall.

Unbelievable that they have been performing together for over 50 years with all founding members intact. The longest tenure of any band in music history including the Rolling Stones.
"IF" the stones are still going they started in 63-64 i believe and wouldn't that make them nearly 60 years together, with a few changes...not the exact same line-up but still a bit longer than ZZ's 50 years

"IF" the stones are still going they started in 63-64 i believe and wouldn't that make them nearly 60 years together, with a few changes...not the exact same line-up but still a bit longer than ZZ's 50 years
Correct, the Stones are the longest running band currently but original band member Brian Jones left around 1970 which was a couple years after ZZ Top was formed. That makes ZZ Top the longest tenured band with its original members still together.

Interesting. every member of ZZ Top turns 72 this year. Other notible singers turning 72. Bruce Springstein and Billy Joel. Ozzy turns 73 this year. Jagger turns 78 this year.

Cher turns 75 this year
Up until about 10 years ago, Madonna still had a hell of a body for a woman her age. And still does. But, in the last few, the years have caught up to her in her face. Bad!

Not to hijack the thread, I'm a huge ZZ Top fan, but I'm finally getting around to watching Ken Burns' History of Country Music. Pretty damned good viewing if you haven't seen it....

Reactions: Drtxhorn
Where is this available to watch?
Here's the YouTube link to the first episode. I think there are 8 total. There are parts in some of the disks where sound is killed for a minute or two due to copyright issues. Just let it roll and the sound comes back up. Still very worth the watching.

Cher turns 75 this year
Agreed. Question is whether Ozzy realizes he’s still alive. ...or is he??

ADVERTISEMENT