ADVERTISEMENT

OU QB commit, Cam Rising, flips to Texas

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
In a surprising development, OU QB commit, Cam Rising, flips to Texas. After the recent commitment of Casey Thompson, it seemed that Texas was done with QB recruiting this season. It is yet to be seen if Casey remains committed. If he decommits, his most likely landing spot would be OU in what would end up being a swap of 4 star QBs.

Cam is slightly higher rated, but not by much. He is more of a pro-style QB. He doesn't have the recruiting connections that Casey had with the Houston bunch so that is another interesting wrinkle here. Apparently the Texas staff really wanted Rising and I'd say it is clear that he was a bigger want than Thompson.

I would give them just 1 shot at playing for Texas, no more! If they said no then that's it, no more offers or coming back later..

Hook'em

I think both saw the writing on the wall as far as the QB situation for OU is concerned. From all reports, Kyler Murray seems to be the heir apparent to Baker for the next two years.

Hate losing him. He sounds like a very promising QB.

This blows my mind. Turns out Thompson knew about this and was fine with it. We will see if OU puts the full court press on him now. If we hold on to both of these cats till December it will mean only one thing... we won a lot of games lol.

Yeah, it was good to hear some quotes from Thompson stating he knew. Not sure how true it all is and I'm sure some schools (including OU) will be in his ear. Let's just wait and see what happens.

I think both saw the writing on the wall as far as the QB situation for OU is concerned. From all reports, Kyler Murray seems to be the heir apparent to Baker for the next two years.

Hate losing him. He sounds like a very promising QB.
I wonder how durable that little fellow will be?

Reactions: horn wild
Good question. You ALWAYS need good, reliable backup players. Especially at QB.

I wish the best for the kid.

I seriously doubt Rising flipped because Murray is the likely starter after Mayfield. Buechele is the likely starter at UT for the next 3 seasons as well.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I seriously doubt Rising flipped because Murray is the likely starter after Mayfield. Buechele is the likely starter at UT for the next 3 seasons as well.
Buechele doesn't even appear to be the hands down favorite to be the QB by the end of the season. There are all kinds of reports about Buechele being replaced by Ehlinger by mid-season if Buechele doesn't do better than he did down the stretch last year. Ehlinger is a better dual threat than Buechele, and both are under a brand new system with a brand new OC, which narrows Buechele's lead over Ehlinger. I think he did a decent job for a freshman, don't get me wrong. But even your own guys don't see him as the automatic QB going forward like Murray appears to be with OU.

http://hookemheadlines.com/2017/01/15/texas-football-ehlinger-toneil-carter/

well, i saw little fella playing in the sec and he looked like crap. they ruined, in a way befitting an ag, a potentially really good qb because they made a deal with little fella's daddy. little fella wasn't good, whether he held up to the sacks or not.

Reactions: horn wild
Most of what I've seen have Murray listed as 5'11 about 180. He got sacked 8 times playing in the sec and he didnt die. So I'd say he could handle at least 12-16 Big 12 sacks and still survive. Also, he's hard to catch.

So eti es you piss me off......but that's funny

wow....Thats funny....what I tried to type on that damned little pad was..."some times you piss me off.....".......kind of changes the perception I guess.

Last edited:
Buechele doesn't even appear to be the hands down favorite to be the QB by the end of the season. There are all kinds of reports about Buechele being replaced by Ehlinger by mid-season if Buechele doesn't do better than he did down the stretch last year. Ehlinger is a better dual threat than Buechele, and both are under a brand new system with a brand new OC, which narrows Buechele's lead over Ehlinger. I think he did a decent job for a freshman, don't get me wrong. But even your own guys don't see him as the automatic QB going forward like Murray appears to be with OU.

First off, I've never heard of this guy, not sure he is an expert on texas football. Secondly, you posted an article from 3 months ago. The claims there are somewhat valid but are terribly outdated. After going through Spring ball, the QB "competition" was settled and Buechele is the clear front runner. Now of course, if he is playing terribly (which could be said about any QB) he will be replaced, and injuries are a concern, but everyone with a decent idea of Texas football expects Shane to be the starter from beginning to end.

Buechele is no less the real deal than Kyler Murray which is who you are saying scared off Rising, so that argument doesn't make sense. Now maybe OU coaches aren't that upset because they know what they have in Murray but that's not the argument here.

Reactions: oldhorn2
There really is a lot to think about when you commit somewhere. The depth chart during your freshman year is a big one. We cant all be like mitch trubitsky and get one year of play time and suddenly be a great nfl prospect. The really good ones can with two, most I'd say need three. Some guys come in and they expect that they'll be able to be a 3-4 year starter and it all depends on what they already have on campus. Rising sees OU and Murray for 2018. Say he's cemented his spot and will also start in 2019. So the qb position is up for grabs in 2020, Rising's third year on campus. He could conceivably start for three seasons at this point, if he wins the job in 2020. Of course he'd be competing against a couple of guys who were also highly touted and recruited out of high school. So i can see the thought process, say he doesnt win the job in 2020, probably transfer, sit another year. It's similar but not the same at tx. They have buechele who isnt the bar none #1 but will probably take the job in 17. If he continues on the right trajectory he'll be real good and will be the guy in 18 and maybe 19. Similar situation with Rising, he could compete to start in 2020. now we havent seen what Ehlinger can do, maybe he's more college ready, and in that case say he redshirts in 17, and comes in 2018 ready to compete with Buechele to start. Say buechele has really cemented himself in, and he's the guy til 2020. OR lets say Ehlinger really looks good and Buechele takes a step back, now Ehlinger is the new starter in 2018, he's very good, and he has three more years of eligibility. What will Thompson and Rising think about that? I just wonder, you know their parents, and uncles and coaches and recruiters are in their head telling them all about the depth chart and you know you cant get to the next level if the scouts cant see you play. But i can imagine guys considering these things, because you can be a truly great nfl prospect but if the guy starting over you is that much better you'll have a hard time getting your shot so some of these kids end up going elsewhere. It's a lot to think about. I believe at tx the qb position is a little bit more of a question mark in 2017 so it is also in 2018. But the qb situations will change dramatically, for both teams, by the time 2019 rolls around.

well....thats a good analysis, but has little to do with the real world. The problem with football is that the players keep beating the crap out of each other. I dont believe there is any such thing as a QB the comes in and starts and plays every snap for 4 years.

I dont disagree with what you are saying. You laid out a good and reasonable projection, but I think more guys get to play and assert themselves than what you projected.

Reactions: Heisennberg
There really is a lot to think about when you commit somewhere. The depth chart during your freshman year is a big one. We cant all be like mitch trubitsky and get one year of play time and suddenly be a great nfl prospect. The really good ones can with two, most I'd say need three. Some guys come in and they expect that they'll be able to be a 3-4 year starter and it all depends on what they already have on campus. Rising sees OU and Murray for 2018. Say he's cemented his spot and will also start in 2019. So the qb position is up for grabs in 2020, Rising's third year on campus. He could conceivably start for three seasons at this point, if he wins the job in 2020. Of course he'd be competing against a couple of guys who were also highly touted and recruited out of high school. So i can see the thought process, say he doesnt win the job in 2020, probably transfer, sit another year. It's similar but not the same at tx. They have buechele who isnt the bar none #1 but will probably take the job in 17. If he continues on the right trajectory he'll be real good and will be the guy in 18 and maybe 19. Similar situation with Rising, he could compete to start in 2020. now we havent seen what Ehlinger can do, maybe he's more college ready, and in that case say he redshirts in 17, and comes in 2018 ready to compete with Buechele to start. Say buechele has really cemented himself in, and he's the guy til 2020. OR lets say Ehlinger really looks good and Buechele takes a step back, now Ehlinger is the new starter in 2018, he's very good, and he has three more years of eligibility. What will Thompson and Rising think about that? I just wonder, you know their parents, and uncles and coaches and recruiters are in their head telling them all about the depth chart and you know you cant get to the next level if the scouts cant see you play. But i can imagine guys considering these things, because you can be a truly great nfl prospect but if the guy starting over you is that much better you'll have a hard time getting your shot so some of these kids end up going elsewhere. It's a lot to think about. I believe at tx the qb position is a little bit more of a question mark in 2017 so it is also in 2018. But the qb situations will change dramatically, for both teams, by the time 2019 rolls around.

I don't disagree with what you say overall. But think of it this way. Shane is the Texas QB for 3 more years - 17, 18 and 19. Or as you say, Sam may beat out Shane. Then Sam would be the QB for 17,18,19 and 20. When Rising comes in, he will be competing with Shane/Sam for the starting spot in 18. Both of those guys will have the leg up in starting experience by 1 or 2 years.

At OU, Mayfield is gone after this year and then there is the search for a new QB for 2018. While the competition will be tough with the guys that are on campus, Rising would be competing for a QB spot against guys with no starting QB experience at OU. Now, your bias probably informs you that yall's backup QBs are better than what Texas has in Shane and Sam, and that is why we will have to agree to disagree but at OU, Rising would have had a better chance to compete for starting QB in 2018 in my opinion.

Most of what I've seen have Murray listed as 5'11 about 180. He got sacked 8 times playing in the sec and he didnt die. So I'd say he could handle at least 12-16 Big 12 sacks and still survive. Also, he's hard to catch.

FBS football isn't the same as high school. Murray found out real quick that most everyone on the opposing team's defense was just as fast, if not faster than him. He will be destroyed if he continues to try to play the way he did at aggy. Kyler is no sure bet to be a successful QB in college.

The biggest issue with Murray, is that he is a cancer. Both teams he played for at aggy -- football and baseball -- absolutely hated him. I am very glad that cancer is at OU.

Reactions: LonghornMM
well....thats a good analysis, but has little to do with the real world. The problem with football is that the players keep beating the crap out of each other. I dont believe there is any such thing as a QB the comes in and starts and plays every snap for 4 years.

I dont disagree with what you are saying. You laid out a good and reasonable projection, but I think more guys get to play and assert themselves than what you projected.

True but some of these kids come in expecting that they can be world beaters out of the gate. I mean look what Mayfield did. Walked onto OU after Knight just beat the defending national champs. Then with Bell backing him up and two more 4 star kids behind that. He couldnt have predicted Knight would sh*t the bed, Bell would turn TE and one of those 4 stars transfers. You certainly cant predict the future which is one reason not to over think. But at the same time, a big time recruit could come in behind another colt mccoy who is a solid 4 year starter/legend and never sniff the field. It used to surprise me seeing kids sign with the main rival of the team they grew up loving, but anymore there's just so much to why someone goes where they go.

I don't disagree with what you say overall. But think of it this way. Shane is the Texas QB for 3 more years - 17, 18 and 19. Or as you say, Sam may beat out Shane. Then Sam would be the QB for 17,18,19 and 20. When Rising comes in, he will be competing with Shane/Sam for the starting spot in 18. Both of those guys will have the leg up in starting experience by 1 or 2 years.

At OU, Mayfield is gone after this year and then there is the search for a new QB for 2018. While the competition will be tough with the guys that are on campus, Rising would be competing for a QB spot against guys with no starting QB experience at OU. Now, your bias probably informs you that yall's backup QBs are better than what Texas has in Shane and Sam, and that is why we will have to agree to disagree but at OU, Rising would have had a better chance to compete for starting QB in 2018 in my opinion.

Maybe so, I dont know. I know the OU coaches rave about Murray who does have starting experience, who knows what is said behind closed doors ya know.. Are they saying Murray is without a doubt going to be the guy in 18? If anyone knows, it's the OU staff that has been watching him develop under Riley for a year. He wasnt a 5 star cause he's a scrub. Most incoming freshmen are at a distinct advantage over other qbs who have been in the system, usually a freshman starts because the cupboard is empty. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I think in 2018 there's just no way a freshman starts at OU or tx unless he's just the lebron of football. To me, it'll come down to '19 and both programs will be in similar spots qb wise.

FBS football isn't the same as high school. Murray found out real quick that most everyone on the opposing team's defense was just as fast, if not faster than him. He will be destroyed if he continues to try to play the way he did at aggy. Kyler is no sure bet to be a successful QB in college.

I dont deny that, there is no sure bet to be successful until you prove it on the field. I like OU's system and Riley is pretty good with qbs. He may not have to play the same way to be successful at OU. Clearly aggy had some pretty serious issues (Was it the system, the staff, surrounding talent?) and had to take an OU backup/cast-off to field a somewhat competitive team last year.

The biggest issue with Murray, is that he is a cancer. Both teams he played for at aggy -- football and baseball -- absolutely hated him. I am very glad that cancer is at OU.

That can certainly be a factor, i havent heard anything about this myself. Was it pretty well known/prevalent/common knowledge at aggy that even texas fans knew about it? If that's the case then I might expect that to be known out of OU , if he continues to be a cancer.

Heisennberg....What I heard ( that makes it completely factual for sure) is that Murray was cancer. Of course the situation may have been part of the issue. aTm had 2 5 star QB,s coming in at the time in Murray and Allen.What we were hearing was that Murray got pouty about it when he was not just given the job outright.Somewhere in there both Murray and Allen got pissed enough to both quit at about the same time. Since we at Texas tend to believe anything crappy about aTm (....well OU also for that matter) it was easy for us to agree with the "cancer" argument. In fairness to you it frankly could be a case where aggy manages to screw up anything as only aggy can and Murray will be a model citizen.

I am giving you a reasonable statement (at least it sounds reasonable to me) because you made me laugh with your description of Murray's ability to elude the rush. Add that to the fact that I discovered in my old age that calling other team's players crappy does not make them crappy. I say good luck with him.

Murray is the best high school qb I've ever seen. Could there be other issues? Sure. Only time will tell. Good luck to him.

Heisennberg....What I heard ( that makes it completely factual for sure) is that Murray was cancer. Of course the situation may have been part of the issue. aTm had 2 5 star QB,s coming in at the time in Murray and Allen.What we were hearing was that Murray got pouty about it when he was not just given the job outright.Somewhere in there both Murray and Allen got pissed enough to both quit at about the same time. Since we at Texas tend to believe anything crappy about aTm (....well OU also for that matter) it was easy for us to agree with the "cancer" argument. In fairness to you it frankly could be a case where aggy manages to screw up anything as only aggy can and Murray will be a model citizen.

I am giving you a reasonable statement (at least it sounds reasonable to me) because you made me laugh with your description of Murray's ability to elude the rush. Add that to the fact that I discovered in my old age that calling other team's players crappy does not make them crappy. I say good luck with him.

I can buy that. I can understand why a kid with the resume of Murray might walk in with a big head thinking he's hot shit and will go in and start right out of the gate. not sure if that makes a guy a cancer, unless he was really just a whiny little bitch. But football has a way of separating the bitches from the men though. Either way, I know he wont start at OU unless he earns it, so If I do see him trot on the field we'll be in a good place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT