ADVERTISEMENT

Professional Wrestlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by GDforHC:
Rise and Fall on Netflix by any chance?

Joey Styles the announcer dominated Bradshaw? What?

Also, even when wcw was winning, their production was nowhere close to the wwe's. As someone else put it, the wwe knew how to make 5k people look like 50k people and wcw was just the opposite. I've been to a nitro, it was loud. But when I watched it at home, it sounded awful. I don't know what it was.

Yes, it is on Netflix.

Originally posted by caldonna:
I'm sorry, I meant Chris slapped Bill. If I wrote it the other way around, I apologize.

From what I have heard from Meltzer, the title going to Jericho was Vince being Vince. He knew everyone was thinking either Dwayne or Steve, so he wanted to throw a swerve to prove that the "rags" really didn't know what happened. The fact that it elevated Jericho was a happy coincidence for Y2J. I'm sure he didn't complain.

I reember a few years back taht Joey Styles actually took out Layfield. Apperantly, Joey had gotten sick of John bullying him, and one night in Wembley arena he actually lit the fool up. The worst part: no one pulled Styles offa him. He later did the "he's lucky he caught me off guard" routine, but Styles was a lockerroom hero after that.

Cg
Russo was a douche. No one liked him. But with Vince telling him what ideas were stupid they were a great team.

I was thinking Bill slapping someone didn't sound like him.

We had a pool going. I was sure it would be Dwayne. I think even Dwayne thought it would be him, and then they would do a quick turn around to a heel and develop a feud between Jericho and Dwayne. This would eventually lead to Jericho getting a chance to show he could do it.

I am sure Jericho didn't complain, but I remember the preproduction meeting where Vince laid out what was going to happen that night. When he said Jericho was taking it, we were shocked. I think some crew person or two walked away with the whole pot.

I never did figure out why, but Vince being Vince sounds right.

Mike

Originally posted by GDforHC:
Rise and Fall on Netflix by any chance?

Joey Styles the announcer dominated Bradshaw? What?

Also, even when wcw was winning, their production was nowhere close to the wwe's. As someone else put it, the wwe knew how to make 5k people look like 50k people and wcw was just the opposite. I've been to a nitro, it was loud. But when I watched it at home, it sounded awful. I don't know what it was.

Yeah, it's on netflix.

What is the name of the DVD people were talking about a while back about the Von erichs, freebirds, kabuki..? I could not wait til fantasy island was over so I could watch wrestling. I would have my dad wake me up if I had fallen asleep to see it! Lol Thx

first card was Scott Casey v wahoo mcdaniels at the HOT colisium in Waco

we used to go every tuesday to southwest championship wresting (I think that was the name) with Brody, mr piledrIver, abdulla, golden something... Fun times. We would uses the same ticket from the previous week to get back in or someone would open the back door and let the other in. Lol

Originally posted by mackryan08:
Originally posted by fatfootball101:
Mackryan, can you put those on to dvds? I can pay you for your troubles. Or can you email me them, and I can put them on dvds?

I don't have a DVD burner currently, but I can send them to you if you'd like. Shoot me an email: atxboy512@gmail.com
I appreciate it. I will shoot you one tonight when I get home.

Originally posted by mackryan08:
Mackryan, can you put those on to dvds? I can pay you for your troubles. Or can you email me them, and I can put them on dvds?

I don't have a DVD burner currently, but I can send them to you if you'd like. Shoot me an email: atxboy512@gmail.com
I appreciate it. I will shoot you one tonight when I get home.

Cool.

Yeah, if there was one thing that Vince knew he didn't know, it was production. He brought in a ton of theater people, live music people, and arena entertainment professionals. Tons of us had background in theater and live music. We were always given cutting edge technology and he took all the advice he was given.

I remember once making an offhand comment that my spotlight seat was getting uncomfortable. At the next stop I had a brand new chair.

Mike

HBK was my favorite. The Wrestlemania XIV title match is my favorite ever. The shape his back was in and he and Stone cold put on a hell of a show with Mike Tyson there too.

The other one I loved was the MIck Foley/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at King of the Ring. The things Mick did to his body you could tell how much he loved performing.

Cool Thread.

The only thing that I can contribute is that Booker T closed his wrestling gym in Houston a couple of weeks ago. Don't know the story, but he moved all the equipment out.

It seems like Triple H is almost done as he keeps breaking down. Does anyone know what happened to Batista? Heard he got hurt but didn't know how bad.

Used to work in a sporting goods store in Irving and the Ultimate Warrior would come in sometimes. Nice guy and really quiet.Was HUGE!!

Wonder how much they had to pay the Rock to come back? Sure is fun to watch him.

As far as best Divas always a big fan of Trish Stratus!

Originally posted by darrenj:
It seems like Triple H is almost done as he keeps breaking down. Does anyone know what happened to Batista? Heard he got hurt but didn't know how bad.

Used to work in a sporting goods store in Irving and the Ultimate Warrior would come in sometimes. Nice guy and really quiet.Was HUGE!!

Wonder how much they had to pay the Rock to come back? Sure is fun to watch him.

Paul "Triple H" Levesque is being groomed to take over once Vince retires. He was hurt last year but could have returned earlier than he did but was being groomed. He's behind the desk now and backstage.

As for Dave Batista, he "quit" when his contract was up last year. He tried to start MMA with Strikeforce, but since UFC bought them, his deal went through. I do believe he'll be back in WWE eventually.

Back in the day my wife was a massage therapist. WCW came through Midland/Odessa one night, and afterwards we went to eat at Outback. Lo and behold, DDP and Perry Saturn are there too. As they're leaving, we talk my wife into giving them her card.

Couple hours later we're home in Odessa and the phone rings. I hear "This is Dallas Page. Can I speak with Amy please?" Well I was a major mark back then, so I start freaking out. Both guys (and a ref, can't remember which one) wanted massages, so my wife loaded up a massage table she had and went to their hotel.

She said it was like massaging a couple of brick walls. Perry tipped for shit, but DDP made up for it. Dude was very nice. He even signed a picture of him and Elizabeth for me that says 'Yo Dog, Write something about DDP. Bang!"

And yes you pervs, it was just a couple massages, nothing more.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

This has become one of my favorite threads in a while. Loved wrestling when I was a kid and this is bringing back a lot of memories.

Not to hijack the thread or anything but for those of you interested google Andre the Giant drinking. You will be amazed by his alcohol intake. Yes, I am too inept to provide a link.

DDP is a class act. The guy has his head on straight. Always loved watching him in the ring. That Diamond Cutter was vicious and is one of my favorite moves of all time.

Originally posted by darrenj:

According to Vince McMahon during a conference call, he said that the Rock and WWE were working on a hand shake deal and that The Rock was getting an increasing percentage of money that was tied into the WM XXVII buy rates vs last year's.

Thinking of DDP and Goldberg. Saw that movie not long ago with them and a few other guys and David Arquette? Of course the best part were the Nitro girls!! WOW! You hear about their travel schedule and that must be brutal year after year.

Originally posted by schaudenfreude:
This has become one of my favorite threads in a while. Loved wrestling when I was a kid and this is bringing back a lot of memories.

Not to hijack the thread or anything but for those of you interested google Andre the Giant drinking. You will be amazed by his alcohol intake. Yes, I am too inept to provide a link.

Andre was a legend as a drinker. I knew the gasman who put him under for his back surgery (he lives in McAllen, and is a huge outdoorsman). He told me that they couldn't figure out how much dope to give him, so they asked him how much Vodka it took to get him drunk. Andre told them it took half a case to warm him up, and another case to get him drunk. From that, they figured out how much it was going to take to put him out.

I loved Perry Saturn, but he was a real eccentric. He had one of the shittiest years known to man back in 96. His wife left him, he suffered a complete catastrophic knee dislocation (patella, acl, mcl, and joint fracture), and then his son died. He never quite recovered from that.

Cg

This thread is awesome. Was a massive wrestling fan growing up as a kid. Got to see Hogan, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, and many of the big stars during that era in person a few times. Fascinating business.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

My son inlaw was a WCW wrestler for about 5 years before WCW went South. For the gentleman that wanted a Hogan story, I have this tidbit that typifies Hogan's ego. Hogan was in Canada doing a movie and the script called for him to get his butt kicked by a thug. Hogan arrives on site and finds the character playing the thug to be bigger than he but not by that much. He refuses to do the scene. Calls my son in-law in Atlanta and has him flown up to do the scene. My son in-law is 7'2", 385 and yes, I have to borrow food stamps when he comes to Austin.
My son in-law's greatest fear was of little ole elderly ladies that were seated on aisles of the entrances and exits. On one ocassion he was stabbed in the arm with a knitting needle and on another, he was beat with an umbrella.
I have not seen Scott Norton's name mentioned in the tread. While Scotty did most of his WCW shows in Japan where he held the belt forever, he was well respected by the wrestling community. No one messed with Scotty. When Hogan's age took its toll, word was that you had to deal with Norton if you messed with Hogan. While Hogan was not everyone's knight in shinning armor, most of the wrestlers respected him for his contribution in keeping wrestling alive. I once asked a wrestler that was 7' and about 400 if Scott Norton was that bad. He replied," if Scotty got after me, I can't out run him so I would just get down and beg". A tribute to a well respected wrestler that was rarely in the limelight.
I have met many of WCW wrestlers, including "The American Dream" (Dusty Rhodes) that was born and raised in Kyle. He is a riot. One of his daughters was a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and is now married and lives in Marble Falls. A great story.
My son in-law was making in the 300-400k range when WCW went South. Yes, becasue of his size, he now has health issues due to 5 short years of bouncing off the mat and being tossed from the ring. He still loves wrestling and does charity benifits when asked.

Bruce Pritchard, AKA Percy Pringle, AKA Brother Love, is a now a road agent for TNA.

Mike

Originally posted by HookemCol:
My son inlaw was a WCW wrestler for about 5 years before WCW went South. For the gentleman that wanted a Hogan story, I have this tidbit that typifies Hogan's ego. Hogan was in Canada doing a movie and the script called for him to get his butt kicked by a thug. Hogan arrives on site and finds the character playing the thug to be bigger than he but not by that much. He refuses to do the scene. Calls my son in-law in Atlanta and has him flown up to do the scene. My son in-law is 7'2", 385 and yes, I have to borrow food stamps when he comes to Austin.
My son in-law's greatest fear was of little ole elderly ladies that were seated on aisles of the entrances and exits. On one ocassion he was stabbed in the arm with a knitting needle and on another, he was beat with an umbrella.
I have not seen Scott Norton's name mentioned in the tread. While Scotty did most of his WCW shows in Japan where he held the belt forever, he was well respected by the wrestling community. No one messed with Scotty. When Hogan's age took its toll, word was that you had to deal with Norton if you messed with Hogan. While Hogan was not everyone's knight in shinning armor, most of the wrestlers respected him for his contribution in keeping wrestling alive. I once asked a wrestler that was 7' and about 400 if Scott Norton was that bad. He replied," if Scotty got after me, I can't out run him so I would just get down and beg". A tribute to a well respected wrestler that was rarely in the limelight.
I have met many of WCW wrestlers, including "The American Dream" (Dusty Rhodes) that was born and raised in Kyle. He is a riot. One of his daughters was a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and is now married and lives in Marble Falls. A great story.
My son in-law was making in the 300-400k range when WCW went South. Yes, becasue of his size, he now has health issues due to 5 short years of bouncing off the mat and being tossed from the ring. He still loves wrestling and does charity benifits when asked.

you mind me asking who your son in law is???

Originally posted by 40acrefanatic:
HBK was my favorite. The Wrestlemania XIV title match is my favorite ever. The shape his back was in and he and Stone cold put on a hell of a show with Mike Tyson there too.

The other one I loved was the MIck Foley/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at King of the Ring. The things Mick did to his body you could tell how much he loved performing.
That Hell in a Cell was great TV.

I'm also a huge ECW fan. Loved me some ECW before they all started defecting everywhere. I used to think I was Sabu.

Wasn't Norton also a badass Arm Wrestler? His shoulder breaker finishing move is still one of my favorites to use on old N64 games.

+1 on some Macho Man stories.

DDP's wife is smoking hot. Little NSFW action for everyone.

BEWBIES

Your son in law is Rob Reis? Jeez, he was a big dude.

Scotty Norton used to be a bouncer at Gramma B's in Minneapolis and world class arm wrestler. His nickname, "Flash," was because he flashed all his opponents at the table. Yes, he was tough. He was known as a policeman in the New Japan lockerroom. He was hard on the young boys, though.

By the way, it was mentioned earlier that it was hard to believe that Jim "Baron Von" Raschke was able to beat up the Road Warriors. Jim was an AAU and NCAA champion in Greco Roman wrestling at UM. He was as tough as they came, as his cauliflower ears prove.

Cg

As far as the entrances go, Chris Jericho had THE LOUDEST ENTRANCE. Kane was the one you felt because of all the fire. I went to a Monday Night Raw in Austin and Jericho's entrance blew away everyone else in terms of noise. But you could feel the heat when Kane shot off the fire. I loved that part of wrestling.

Originally posted by LongAus:

Originally posted by 40acrefanatic:

That Hell in a Cell was great TV.

I'm also a huge ECW fan. Loved me some ECW before they all started defecting everywhere. I used to think I was Sabu.

ECW Al Snow was great too...He was a jobber in the WWE but in ECW he was king...also the Dudley's, Balls Mahoney and Axle rotten, Chris Candido, Sabu, Justin Credible...ECW was awesome. Didn't have the production value but had some great performers

Originally posted by Esoteric2112:
Bruce Pritchard, AKA Percy Pringle, AKA Brother Love, is a now a road agent for TNA.

Mike
I thought Percy Pringle was Paul Bearer?

Yes, Scotty was the technical consultant for the movie Over the Top and he was once Prince's body guard. As told to me, Scotty escorted Prince into a late night club where Prince proceded to make a scene. Prince started some crap with a guy about his size. Prince turned to Scotty and told him, "get him". Scott smiled, turned and told Prince he ought to hire the guy as his body guard as he quits. I saw Scott and Tammy in Albuquerque about 8 months ago at the Sandia casino. I was told Scott is looking at opening a Physical Security business in Austin.
Yes, my son inlaw is Ron Reis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT