ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
It will never be DKR Texas Memorial Stadium for me It my will always be Memorial Stadium. I loved what coach Royal did for the University of Texas football team. I remember how I excited I was to meet him in person. But Memorial Stadium was dedicated in 1924 to honor the sons of Texas who gave their lives in WW1. It's almost the 100th birthday for Memorial Stadium and it should go back to Memorial Stadium by then. And other states have done that as well. OK and KS have also done this. They built their Memorial Stadium's to honor their sons who gave their lives in WW1. But somebody threw a bunch of money at the athletic department and the schools without regards to history complied.

And speaking of Coach Royal. I have strong opinions about the culture problem with TX fb and that's putting it mildly. I don't think there's many people on here who went to the games when coach Royal was here. But when it came to TX fb coach Royal Drew his line in the sand with TX fb and everyone else and he made it clear that they didn't cross it or they world face the consequences. And nobody not even a political animal like Frank Erwin or Joe Jamail dared to cross it. I wish he were still here to put that runt Kevin Etifl in his place. Unlike Tom Herman he would handled the Eyes of Texas issue perfectly. Football at the University of Texas desperately needs men like Darrell Royal now and I'm not seeing any.

What to make of the Big XII's future. We are now the top hoops conference in the country. But why did it take the Big XII 25 years to be the top conference in a significant sport and now it may be too late. There's numerous opinions about what went wrong with the Big XII but in 2014 they went with the one true champion and it was an unmitigated disaster. They stopped the conference title game when CO and NB left the conference and it cost them dearly. That year Baylor and TCU were truly among the top 5 teams in the country and a title game would have been epic and the winner would have been in the playoffs. But there wasn't and both teams were left out. And then the Big XII footprint became isolated and here we are 8 years later. There are some good choices to replace TX and OK but where as the other P5 conferences have at least one blue blood the new Big XII will not. Baylor and TT athletics have a promising future and that's sad that it won't get noticed. The new commissioner needs to arrive asap and negotiate a fantastic contract for the Big XII but it may be to late. We are looking at a group of 6 and the P4 conferences and for that I'm sorry.

Oh and @clob94 I'm sure you met Coach Royal what were your impressions of him?

Last edited:
I actually met him a couple years before he passed. I was at a Boys and Girls Club annual fundraiser at Barton Creek Country Club and he was very gracious to come and thank my wife and I for a contribution we made. He was a big supporter of the Austin area Boys and Girls Clubs. He sat down with us and spent about 20 minutes just chatting away. Very genuine man and easy to have a conversation with him. The whole time we talked we didn't even talk about football

Cali, the issues with the B12 run deep. The greatest being the generational demographic struggles that most of the b12 teams have. They don't have the fanbase or viewing interests that Texas have. Going to the SEC was the best logical and geographical fit. If we get pods and I think we will, we will get our old rivalries back and many new ones. The problems that we face are the ones of selfishness outlined by Moro Ojomo a few days ago.

Cali, the issues with the B12 run deep. The greatest being the generational demographic struggles that most of the b12 teams have. They don't have the fanbase or viewing interests that Texas have. Going to the SEC was the best logical and geographical fit. If we get pods and I think we will, we will get our old rivalries back as nd many new ones. The problems that we face are the ones of selfishness outlined by Moro Ojomo a few days ago.
Or better compeition and better football, that's all I want. Pretty simple. It'll work out my man. 😉

I actually met him a couple years before he passed. I was at a Boys and Girls Club annual fundraiser at Barton Creek Country Club and he was very gracious to come and thank my wife and I for a contribution we made. He was a big supporter of the Austin area Boys and Girls Clubs. He sat down with us and spent about 20 minutes just chatting away. Very genuine man and easy to have a conversation with him. The whole time we talked we didn't even talk about football
Indeed he was. There were a lot of coaching legends during his era but only Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant were his equals. But where as Bear Bryant had a Montana sized ego and Woody Hayes tried to bully and intimidate everyone Darrell Royal was a humble man who kept his ego in check. He was known for remembering almost everyone he met. When I met him he acted like he knew all about me asked me about school and all sorts of stuff. What a first class guy he was.

Reactions: freeper
Cali, the issues with the B12 run deep. The greatest being the generational demographic struggles that most of the b12 teams have. They don't have the fanbase or viewing interests that Texas have. Going to the SEC was the best logical and geographical fit. If we get pods and I think we will, we will get our old rivalries back and many new ones. The problems that we face are the ones of selfishness outlined by Moro Ojomo a few days ago.
But if Sarkisian doesn't get it together real quick we'll keep on losing. Right now I have my doubts the man. It has gotten to the point that we got dissed by KS fans in fb no less. Vanderbilt fans are taking about how they can't wait to play us. If this happens we'll be no different than teams like Mizzou or a&m. We'll be making a lot more money than we did in the Big XII but we'll still be losing in fb.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
But if Sarkisian doesn't get it together real quick we'll keep on losing. Right now I have my doubts the man. It has gotten to the point that we got dissed by KS fans in fb no less. Vanderbilt fans are taking about how they can't wait to play us. If this happens we'll be no different than teams like Mizzou or a&m. We'll be making a lot more money than we did in the Big XII but we'll still be losing in fb.
If afforded 3-4yrs, I think Sark can have us back in the annual 10 win club with the occasional playoff run. Now as far as our current state of the program goes, we could stay put and lose games against Kansas for a little $$ or we can lose to Vandy for $$ x2.
Yep, a very classic aggy-esk point of view but they made the right choice when they bolted.

We'll get a nice preview of the slaughter house this year when the bama baby beaters roll into town.

You're not going to believe this but right now TT has the top ranked recruiting class. Granted it's only 4/27/22 and I'm sure it won't stay that way. I'm also sure there will be defections. But they have commitments from five 4* recruits and it usually takes them 10 years to sign that many. Has TT finally gotten it right with Joey Maguire?

Last edited:
You're not going to believe this but right now TT has the top ranked recruiting class. Granted it's only 4/27/22 and I'm sure it won't stay that way. I'm also sure there will be defections. But they have commitments from five 4* recruits and it usually takes them 10 years to sign that many. Has TT finally gotten it right with Joey Maguire?
I wouldn’t put any stock into recruiting rankings in April.

Tech won't even sniff the top ten once all of the final signatures are in. To rank recruiting classes right now is just silly.

True that but TT has never been #1 in anything when it comes to fb and that's news.
Tech has a lead because they have a bunch of 3* commits... something like 18 guys. We could have that if we wanted to have that..... We are bringing in high quality players via the portal and signing high quality recruits. My concern is the defense. It's PK's year to perform or step down. I would take Patterson as the DC in a heartbeat! Pay him 4 mil a year and be done with it.

Tech has a lead because they have a bunch of 3* commits... something like 18 guys. We could have that if we wanted to have that..... We are bringing in high quality players via the portal and signing high quality recruits. My concern is the defense. It's PK's year to perform or step down. I would take Patterson as the DC in a heartbeat! Pay him 4 mil a year and be done with it.
I was wishin Venebles got the 2 mil he deserved 10 years ago to stay. Bob might still be coach to this day.

The NIL is what's going to save our football program. We have already seen the effects take place with this past years recruiting class.
I think that’s going to be a factor. I also think Sark’s impact on the program can’t be understated. Obviously his first year didn’t go as we’d hoped, but I do think Sark is making Texas an attractive place to be again. Xavier Worthy isn’t here if Sark isn’t the HC. We probably aren’t in the running for Arch Manning if Sark isn’t the HC. Recored wise things sucked last year but he has imo brought a change in the perception of Texas among recruits that I think we miss sometimes

I think that’s going to be a factor. I also think Sark’s impact on the program can’t be understated. Obviously his first year didn’t go as we’d hoped, but I do think Sark is making Texas an attractive place to be again. Xavier Worthy isn’t here if Sark isn’t the HC. We probably aren’t in the running for Arch Manning if Sark isn’t the HC. Recored wise things sucked last year but he has imo brought a change in the perception of Texas among recruits that I think we miss sometimes
I don't think Sark had anything to do with changing the perception of Texas to recruits. They saw money and that was the deciding factor.

NIL and selling the Sark that was at Alabama is what has got us some of these players.

aggy bought their last class. I chuckle that Jimbo gets pissed when this is brought up. Kids aren't flocking to aggyland just for the atmosphere. They were shown the money.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
aggy bought their last class. I chuckle that Jimbo gets pissed when this is brought up. Kids aren't flocking to aggyland just for the atmosphere. They were shown the money.

Overheard some coaches talking about Anthony Hill (Dentron Ryan ILB) and they were bitching about NIL. "Gonna ruin college football..." and whatnot. Said he is going to whatever school pays him the most money.

No too surprised that just a couple weeks after hearing this he is a lean to TAMU.

It's all legit and legal. I don't know why anyone is trying to hide it or bitch about it.

That said, my contention is that if you have a locker room full of guys that chose you because of money it won't work out well in the end. Those aren't the kind of people that deal with adversity real well.

Overheard some coaches talking about Anthony Hill (Dentron Ryan ILB) and they were bitching about NIL. "Gonna ruin college football..." and whatnot. Said he is going to whatever school pays him the most money.

No too surprised that just a couple weeks after hearing this he is a lean to TAMU.

It's all legit and legal. I don't know why anyone is trying to hide it or bitch about it.

That said, my contention is that if you have a locker room full of guys that chose you because of money it won't work out well in the end. Those aren't the kind of people that deal with adversity real well.
Dang fine post. I believe NIL has now brought the drama the NFL lives with to the college level. What a terrible idea NIL is. Imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Dang fine post. I believe NIL has now brought the drama the NFL lives with to the college level. What a terrible idea NIL is. Imo.

Of course there are gluttons that will ruin it for others. Certain schools that wish to be relevant so bad they go way too far. But this is how it is in all facets of society...laws and regulations are made because of the select few even though the many behave in moderation.

I'm a fan of NIL. I'm not a fan of irresponsibility that will inevitably cause irreversible issues

Reactions: Hoookem722
I don't think Sark had anything to do with changing the perception of Texas to recruits. They saw money and that was the deciding factor.
I don’t think that’s the case. When Xavier worthy showed up NIL was just maybe becoming a thing, so it didn’t have anything to do with his decision. Arch manning is going to rake in the NIL money no matter where he shows up, and his family has money anyway, so I don’t think that is really factoring in to his decision

aggy wants so badly to be noticed, accepted, validated, etc. Those knuckle draggers would sell their souls to the devil to win a NC.

aggy wants so badly to be noticed, accepted, validated, etc. Those knuckle draggers would sell their souls to the devil to win a NC.
It's not just NIL those Aggies have spent millions improving the facilities. I mean think about their stadium what's the capacity now 120,000? Jimbo had a $75 million guaranteed contract and then they gave him a raise after just 3 years. And now NIL. NIL is an Aggie wet dream I mean they can play an unlimited amount of money and not get put on probation again?

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
It's not just NIL those Aggies have spent millions improving the facilities. I mean think about their stadium what's the capacity now 120,000? Jimbo has a $75 million guaranteed contract and then they have him a raise after just 3 years. And now NIL. NIL is an Aggie wet dream I mean they can play an unlimited amount of money and not get put on probation again?
And putting themselves into some serious debt. Haven’t they dropped their entrance requirements so they can get more student tuition? Not saying they don’t have some quality degrees, but they need/want more students.

And putting themselves into some serious debt. Haven’t they dropped their entrance requirements so they can get more student tuition? Not saying they don’t have some quality degrees, but they need/want more students.
Haven't you heard? Ol sleepy wants to cancel student loans even for the washouts. We all pay for it brother, you and me. Student debt in this nation is in the trillions. 😉

Now that college football is professional…maybe they should set up the ncaa draft and seed based on prior year rankings? Surely I jest, but why not. If they don’t set up some type of restrictions it’s all just going to be about who ponies up the most. It will get ugly. Now that it’s legal it’s open season for sleezeballs that would otherwise have been managed. College player agents cashing in. Lawyers, legal fees. Politicians with their hands out. Oh, the horror it will soon become. Got to give credit to the Aggies for cashing in before some rules start setting in.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT