ADVERTISEMENT

Rebuilding the Horns

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Does any of this rebuilding stuff remind you of all the other rebuilds of Akers, McWilliams, Mackovic's? Wads it harder then or easier? Was the player depth better or worst? Were the player recruit better or not? Chances are we will have to rebuild again one day in the long future..

Hook'em

Night and day . Akers started with Earl , Lam Jones , and several good QBs . Also a great defense . Mack started with Ricky and others . Don't know too much about the start of the Macovich era . Strong started on the ground floor if not the basement.

Harder now with 25 per class hard cap. Of the above list only Mackovic was in the 85 limit era and the other two had 95 to work with.

You can't say that Mack "started with Ricky." (Well, you can say it, but it won't be true.)

Mack had Ricky for just 1 year. That's not rebuilding. You need to recruit to rebuild. You need them for 3-5 years.

I know the 97 season was a disaster but Mackovic did not leave the cupboard bare. Yes Mack only had Ricky for 1 year but he had Hodges Mitchell waiting in the wings. Hodges was a really underrated back and kind of got lost in between Ricky and Cedric Benson.

Originally posted by HornsRuleU:
You can't say that Mack "started with Ricky." (Well, you can say it, but it won't be true.)

Mack had Ricky for just 1 year. That's not rebuilding. You need to recruit to rebuild. You need them for 3-5 years.
Ricky's heisman season directly resulted in Texas getting Cory Redding and Chris Simms.

Chris Simms resulted in Texas getting BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas and Roy Williams as well as Ced Benson. Those guys resulted in Texas getting the 2002 class including Vince Young.

It was a snowball effect that all got going because of the momentum created by Ricky Williams.

Mackovic came in 1992. Did inherit high draft picks like Brockermeyer, Lance Gunn, and Van Malone. Remember, Texas was just two seasons removed from a potential national title in 1990. I'll say this - MacWilliams didn't win but got recruitng going in the right directions. I'd guess at least 14-15 starters from the 1990 team were drafted eventually - Cash brothers, San Thomas, Chuck Johnson, Dronett, Patton, Jeter, Brian Jones, Gunn, Berry, Stanley Richard... I can name off hand. Mackovic's freshman class included highly touted Shea Morentz, Mike Adams and Pinckney would both started immediately at WR.

Overall, Mackovic inherited a better roster than Strong.

Mack Brown obviously inherited Ricky, but also two beasts-in-waiting named Shaun Rogers and Casey Hampton, and a pretty solid O-Line, and Wane Mcgarity. Truth is Mack Brown didn't rebuild, he just took it too another level. Texas won conference titles in 94, 95, and 96. The team collapsed and quit in 97, but the foundation was there.

Mack Brown inherited a much better squad than Mackovic or Strong. I'd say what Strong has now is more like what MacWilliams inherited from Akers.

I kind of feel for the UT fans in this one because Texas has been in a rebuilding mode since 2010. When is it no longer considered rebuilding. Teams lose players every year and have to replace them. Is OU in a rebuilding year? I don't think they are. Is it only rebuilding when you are losing? Someone help me out here.

Originally posted by Son of Wasatch:

Ricky's heisman season directly resulted in Texas getting Cory Redding and Chris Simms.

Chris Simms resulted in Texas getting BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas and Roy Williams as well as Ced Benson. Those guys resulted in Texas getting the 2002 class including Vince Young.

It was a snowball effect that all got going because of the momentum created by Ricky Williams.
Agree with this

Originally posted by Belldozer1:
I kind of feel for the UT fans in this one because Texas has been in a rebuilding mode since 2010. When is it no longer considered rebuilding. Teams lose players every year and have to replace them. Is OU in a rebuilding year? I don't think they are. Is it only rebuilding when you are losing? Someone help me out here.
OU is beginning the long road to the inevitable where Texas was at in 2010, the sun was/is setting on two great coaches who were/are both past their prime... Momentum, recruiting, and coaches becoming out of their element... the scapegoating of lower level coaches is the first step... The circumstances are different but they are the same in many ways

Texas showed worse then the overall talent because of the lack of QB play. Would they have been a great team with a great QB? No, but they wouldn't have been 8-4 or 7-5 either. Last year was rebuilding as so many kids were dismissed. The other years the O struggles can be traced to a lack of QB play and average receivers.

OU has had a lot of the same issues at the QB position, they have just had a better OLine to keep it from being quite as bad.

Convincing Ricky to stay for that 1 year was the key...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by wadster:
Texas showed worse then the overall talent because of the lack of QB play. Would they have been a great team with a great QB? No, but they wouldn't have been 8-4 or 7-5 either. Last year was rebuilding as so many kids were dismissed. The other years the O struggles can be traced to a lack of QB play and average receivers.

OU has had a lot of the same issues at the QB position, they have just had a better OLine to keep it from being quite as bad.
Well said. QB and the OL, was the issue. OU got a taste, of what it is like to have bad QB play, and they didn't do so well. A weak OL would have amplified there problems.

If the Texas OL improves, I expect Heard to ball and I doubt we win less than 9 games. Before someone tells me I can't count on Heard, kick rocks. I didn't like Gilbert or Swoopes, while everyone else overhyped them, and I always said we wouldn't have a QB until Heard stepped on campus, and that was before he committed to Texas. That moment is finally here, and I have a lot of confidence in Heard. I'm not going to get too excited, because I want to see how the OL improves. But if the OL does improve, I'll be really looking forward to that game with Notre Dame.

As far as the rebuilding question...Strong has only been at Texas for a year, so HE is building HIS team up.
This post was edited on 2/23 8:56 AM by blh111

I don't have time to look it up right now but I'm curious to compare Ohio State recruiting to OU/UT the last couple years. Meyer is a damn good coach and won a freaking NC in what I thought was a rebuilding year. Hell right now I'd be thrilled with a win over Baylor. Sad

Originally posted by Belldozer1:
I don't have time to look it up right now but I'm curious to compare Ohio State recruiting to OU/UT the last couple years. Meyer is a damn good coach and won a freaking NC in what I thought was a rebuilding year. Hell right now I'd be thrilled with a win over Baylor. Sad
Ohio State has some good QB's on campus and a very good OL, Texas can't say that, and OU can't say that about their QB. OSU also didn't kick 14 players off the team, so I don't think OSU was rebuilding anything. That term is over used. Like Stoops until this year, Meyer seems to always have a good QB at his disposal. I expect Strong, to start the same trend. If Bob Stoops doesn't get rid of Mike Stoops, he may have a problem, on both sides of the ball.

Hasn't Ohio State just lost 2 games since Meyer has been there? Not much of a rebuilding situation if you ask me.

ADVERTISEMENT