ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting tactics

LongfellowDrew

Dec 5, 2008
What do you guys think?

http://whotv.com/2018/02/08/texas-tom-herman-throws-shade-at-iowa-states-recruiting-tactics/

AUSTIN, Texas -- Tom Herman spent a portion of his signing day press conference criticizing Iowa State for giving out too many offers saying, "we are not in the business of offering to 'get in it.'"

Matt Campbell responded to that by saying, "...at the end of it I think we do things the right way. No matter how we go about that we really have honest conversations, and we do it the right way."

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Create beef with the meaningless, middle of nowhere school!!!!!!!! Love it

Reactions: ken1937
I really don't have a problem with an offer being non actionable. The reality of it is even if you are completely on the up and up the nature of early recruiting is going to lend itself to a bunch of your offers no longer being valid. They don't get publically rescinded like they get publically reported, so it just leaves this gap that we have to reconcile ourselves. Some curl up into a fetal position and repeat how can an offer be uncommitable, and others recognize the nature of the beast. Kids want to receive and tweet offers, so schools offer, none of those kids are going to follow up tweet on what that really was which is more or less just an invite to camp.

I think it's a stupid talking point for a coach.

Did Iowa State land someone Texas wanted? They recruit such a lower level of recruit, how did Herman even know - much less care.

Guys don't get so suckered in to click bait. Did ya'll actually watch the signing day press conference in it's entirety? (If you haven't do like I did and record it on LHN and watch later, they are re-running it frequently).

If you did you would most likely never bat an eye and know this "news link" was just click bait. That portion had nothing to do with ISU in particular, he mentioned the stats for several schools. Tom was just talking up their evaluation and recruiting strategy. I'm glad he did. In addition, there were a few guys in the process that felt like Texas did not give them enough attention even though Texas did offer them. That might have a little to do with it as well.

No need to punch down in weight class unless an Iowa beat writer was being snarky.

Herman says and does curious things during press conferences. This would be one of them. Why compare Iowa state to Texas in recruiting? Sure Texas gives out fewer offers because they can for the most part pick the guys they want. Iowa state is not going to have that luxury. For them it’s a numbers game. Just an odd thing to go after from Tom Herman. Shit you just reeled in the best recruiting class in the conference and OU made the playoff last year. Talk about that

Guys don't get so suckered in to click bait. Did ya'll actually watch the signing day press conference in it's entirety? (If you haven't do like I did and record it on LHN and watch later, they are re-running it frequently).

If you did you would most likely never bat an eye and know this "news link" was just click bait. That portion had nothing to do with ISU in particular, he mentioned the stats for several schools. Tom was just talking up their evaluation and recruiting strategy. I'm glad he did. In addition, there were a few guys in the process that felt like Texas did not give them enough attention even though Texas did offer them. That might have a little to do with it as well.

I didn’t see the whole press conference only this part and found it odd he was just referring to Iowa State.

This. I watched it before I read this thread and it seems odd to me that this would be an issue for anyone.

Reactions: q1w2e3
My favorite recruiting tactic was UCLA and Georgia's approach.

UCLA used their Asian chicks to their advantage.....lordy.

Georgia has girls called "The peaches".

I should write a freaking book.

Yawn. Tom wins 9 games and nobody will remember this.
Very true. Herman has a lot of momuitem and buzz going with the recruiting class he reeled in. He needs a 9-10 win year to really keep that going. I think the opening week game against Maryland is fairly significant for the program. After laying an egg agsinst Maryland last year going out there and winning would be a significant early sign of progress, and increases odds of winning 8-9 games next year. With TCU, OU and Ok state all replacing QBs the big 12 is pretty open this year.

Texas offers are rare. That's the way it should be.
Right. As are all the other top schools...The comparing our offer total to that of Iowa stste though was just odd for Herman to do. It’s two different worlds from a recruiting stand point for Iowa State they have to put 60 offers out there to sign 25 guys. Whst Iowa State is doing in recruiting shouldn’t even make ourcoachijg staffs radar honestly.

Right. As are all the other top schools...The comparing our offer total to that of Iowa stste though was just odd for Herman to do. It’s two different worlds from a recruiting stand point for Iowa State they have to put 60 offers out there to sign 25 guys. Whst Iowa State is doing in recruiting shouldn’t even make ourcoachijg staffs radar honestly.

I don't think you (and most others on this thread) watched the press conference.

Herman obviously had planned to hit this topic specifically and hard. He is calculated. He starts the lead in to this topic with addressing the 2019 class (and some peoples concerns A&M is way out in front...He makes it clear 2019 is barely getting started). Yes, he mentions Iowa St as giving the most offers and then lists Texas as 5th least offers behind Stanford, Northwestern, Clemson (which he lists how many guys Clemson was expected to sign...only 15) and Washington, in addition he takes shots at Saban and Alabama and how their offer is frequently just an offer to show up to camp to maybe get a real offer.

Herman is clearly leveraging UT's strengths to make an offer more valuable and simultaneously allow them to be more thorough and calculated in offers. He is saying we are not going to carpet bomb offers like ISU and we are ALSO not going to be like BAMA and fake offer to get you to camp. Here is a small portion of his quotes:

I think it's very important that everybody in the state of Texas knows, Oklahoma and Louisiana, that when we say the word 'offer', the young man can say yes on the spot right then and there, and we're going to be doing cartwheels and backflips down the hallway and celebrate because we got our guy.
We are not in the business of offering to get in it. Coach, I got to throw an offer out so I can recruit him.
No, you don't. Not in this state you don't. You say the word 'offer', we better be happy if that kid commits. More than happy, ecstatic.
Do we get beat up a little bit sometimes? Yeah.
Coach, I had 47 offers before you guys offered me.
I know. We weren't sure. We needed to see you in camp. We needed to see three games of your senior film because we weren't sure. We don't offer people we're not sure of.
There's all this non-committable offer. That's a real phrase. So it's not an offer. If it's not committable, what is it? It isn't an offer. Or offer to get to camp. I hear that all the time.
We want you to come to camp.
I'm only camping at the places that offer me.
Great. See you at camp.
It's not real, right, we all know that. It's really important for me to continue to spread that message, that we are going to be very diligent in our research with guys that fit what we do.

I'm providing a link from the UT athletic dept website to the press conference. http://texassports.com/news/2018/2/...an-national-signing-day-press-conference.aspx
It's a GREAT, over 45 min, presser but for this particular topic tune in at the 31 minute and 10 second mark and listen for Anwar's question to Tom and then all the way through to the 35 min and 15 sec. mark That's how much time Herman spent on this and the relating topics.

I don't think you (and most others on this thread) watched the press conference.

Herman obviously had planned to hit this topic specifically and hard. He is calculated. He starts the lead in to this topic with addressing the 2019 class (and some peoples concerns A&M is way out in front...He makes it clear 2019 is barely getting started). Yes, he mentions Iowa St as giving the most offers and then lists Texas as 5th least offers behind Stanford, Northwestern, Clemson (which he lists how many guys Clemson was expected to sign...only 15) and Washington, in addition he takes shots at Saban and Alabama and how their offer is frequently just an offer to show up to camp to maybe get a real offer.

Herman is clearly leveraging UT's strengths to make an offer more valuable and simultaneously allow them to be more thorough and calculated in offers. He is saying we are not going to carpet bomb offers like ISU and we are ALSO not going to be like BAMA and fake offer to get you to camp. Here is a small portion of his quotes:

I think it's very important that everybody in the state of Texas knows, Oklahoma and Louisiana, that when we say the word 'offer', the young man can say yes on the spot right then and there, and we're going to be doing cartwheels and backflips down the hallway and celebrate because we got our guy.
We are not in the business of offering to get in it. Coach, I got to throw an offer out so I can recruit him.
No, you don't. Not in this state you don't. You say the word 'offer', we better be happy if that kid commits. More than happy, ecstatic.
Do we get beat up a little bit sometimes? Yeah.
Coach, I had 47 offers before you guys offered me.
I know. We weren't sure. We needed to see you in camp. We needed to see three games of your senior film because we weren't sure. We don't offer people we're not sure of.
There's all this non-committable offer. That's a real phrase. So it's not an offer. If it's not committable, what is it? It isn't an offer. Or offer to get to camp. I hear that all the time.
We want you to come to camp.
I'm only camping at the places that offer me.
Great. See you at camp.
It's not real, right, we all know that. It's really important for me to continue to spread that message, that we are going to be very diligent in our research with guys that fit what we do.

I'm providing a link from the UT athletic dept website to the press conference. http://texassports.com/news/2018/2/...an-national-signing-day-press-conference.aspx
It's a GREAT, over 45 min, presser but for this particular topic tune in at the 31 minute and 10 second mark and listen for Anwar's question to Tom and then all the way through to the 35 min and 15 sec. mark That's how much time Herman spent on this and the relating topics.

Thanks!

I love this . . . it's Tommy calling out the mis-direction of other programs . . . and basically saying that an offer from Texas means something more than an 'offer' from another program. In other words, a kid can trust UT . . . other programs not so much.

....that you continually obsess over apparently.
Joe, serious question---- now that we are talking about recruiting tactics---- are you familiar with the organization of females that atm uses for football recruiting?

clob, I am not familiar with that. Details? I am not someone who refuses to see where we have shortcomings or are flat out wrong. I don't live on this board either, just drop by occasionally, but every time I do, Scholz seems to mention us. Odd.

Joe, serious question---- now that we are talking about recruiting tactics---- are you familiar with the organization of females that atm uses for football recruiting?
That is one of the biggest things that I think I would have missed had I been an excellent athlete. The "scenery" at these schools. I've always wondered how Ole Miss recruited their dudes (1. they paid them, and 2. they might have the best scenery in the South) I'm sure every university has a group they call when recruits are in town.

ADVERTISEMENT