ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Recruiting

Well the kid from New Orleans Barryn Sorrell has signed. He's a de/lb decommitted from Northwestern so he must be smart. I wonder if the other recruit from NO recruited him. Hey welcome to Austin.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Well the kid from New Orleans Barryn Sorrell has signed. He's a de/lb decommitted from Northwestern so he must be smart. I wonder if the other recruit from NO recruited him. Hey welcome to Austin.

No disrespect to Sorrell, but we beat Kansas, Missouri, Arizona St and lesser schools for his pledge. Ole MIss and Tenn did not even offer him. And no other SEC schools even showed an interest. Add to this an inability to coach up these kids and this is a player I project will not produce much at UT.

This recruiting is a disaster for a school with UT's history. Sad day on the 40.

No disrespect to Sorrell, but we beat Kansas, Missouri, Arizona St and lesser schools for his pledge. Ole MIss and Tenn did not even offer him. And no other SEC schools even showed an interest. Add to this an inability to coach up these kids and this is a player I project will not produce much at UT.

This recruiting is a disaster for a school with UT's history. Sad day on the 40.

Of course not, they were too busy taking 4'star Texas kids. :(

This has got to be the worst recruiting season for us in the past 20 years. Just pathetic.

If we're going to be bad, why not just blow it up and rebuild. Fire Herman and bring in an unknown coach that has a chance to be great. Give the guy 4 years to turn it around and establish something. Someone that knows Texas recruiting and is an excellent communicator. That's how Clemson found lightning in a bottle years ago with Dabo Swinney. He was a relatively obscure assistant when he was hired.

I'm thinking a guy like Jeff Traylor at UTSA. He's an excellent recruiter and I've heard that he's a very engaging coach that many believe will be a big time coach in the future. He's familiar with our program since he was part of Charlie Strong's staff for a short while. Sure, we will struggle for 2-3 years but no matter who you bring in it will take at least 2-3 years to get us back to being relevant again. Just my .02

This has got to be the worst recruiting season for us in the past 20 years. Just pathetic.

If we're going to be bad, why not just blow it up and rebuild. Fire Herman and bring in an unknown coach that has a chance to be great. Give the guy 4 years to turn it around and establish something. Someone that knows Texas recruiting and is an excellent communicator. That's how Clemson found lightning in a bottle years ago with Dabo Swinney. He was a relatively obscure assistant when he was hired.

I'm thinking a guy like Jeff Traylor at UTSA. He's an excellent recruiter and I've heard that he's a very engaging coach that many believe will be a big time coach in the future. He's familiar with our program since he was part of Charlie Strong's staff for a short while. Sure, we will struggle for 2-3 years but no matter who you bring in it will take at least 2-3 years to get us back to being relevant again. Just my .02
Coach Traylor is a good coach but if we’re gonna go with relatively up and comer there are better options. Traylor had what 7 games under his belt has a HC?

Traylor worked miracles at UTSA.
Not sure I’d classify one 7-4 season a “miracle”. Again Traylor may be a big time coach some day. I don’t dispute that, but man Texas hiring him right now over other “mid major coach” with more experience under their belt would be a massive risk

Hell, this year Deion Sanders probably had a better recruiting class than us at Jackson St. If he's successful there, why not give him a look. He would be an instant magnet for Texas recruits.. He's probably very familiar with Texas recruiting having lived here the past 20-30 years. He's also still well connected in NFL circles as well. We need to be open to just about any option considering where our program is at right now.

Hell, this year Deion Sanders probably had a better recruiting class than us at Jackson St. If he's successful there, why not give him a look. He would be an instant magnet for Texas recruits.. He's probably very familiar with Texas recruiting having lived here the past 20-30 years. He's also still well connected in NFL circles as well. We need to be open to just about any option considering where our program is at right now.
I think it was Ole Miss(may not be the right school) their AD said he interviewed him last year for their job and thought he was really impressive. Just thought going from not coaching ever to the SEC was too big a leap to take. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does land a power 5 job at some point.

Surely CDC is investigating that report. And if true, how can you keep this clown any longer?
Can you blame the guy in the face of the public pursuit of his replacement? Don't think much of TH, but he was putting out feelers only because of the ridiculous situation CDC created.

Reactions: outhereincali

Oh it is not the worst recruiting class in 20 years. Ok TH's first recruiting class in 2017. It was right after CS was fired. Recruiting was already over. All the top kids went out of state that was the year when tOSU signed all those kids. We were only ranked 25th and it showed.

Coach Herman managed to sign SE after he took over but other than that this senior class was a bust and that's on CS more than Herman. We had 16 seniors this year. 4 of them were transfers, a few more never saw the playing field. We had 3 true seniors starting this year that's it. I wondered if this mediocre senior class would effect us and it did.

So let's take a pause with this incoming class cause I'm sure it will be better than the class of '17.

Oh it is not the worst recruiting class in 20 years. Ok TH's first recruiting class in 2017. It was right after CS was fired. Recruiting was already over. All the top kids went out of state that was the year when tOSU signed all those kids. We were only ranked 25th and it showed.

Coach Herman managed to sign SE after he took over but other than that this senior class was a bust and that's on CS more than Herman. We had 16 seniors this year. 4 of them were transfers, a few more never saw the playing field. We had 3 true seniors starting this year that's it. I wondered if this mediocre senior class would effect us and it did.

So let's take a pause with this incoming class cause I'm sure it will be better than the class of '17.

If you are trying to compare our '17 class to our '21 class to justify why we will be better off 3 years from now than we were this year, can you also please compare the OU signing classes from '17 and '21 to temper some of your optimism?
And to that, apply any factor you want to account for player development and game-day coaching to the two teams to see if your optimism still holds water....

If you are trying to compare our '17 class to our '21 class to justify why we will be better off 3 years from now than we were this year, can you also please compare the OU signing classes from '17 and '21 to temper some of your optimism?
And to that, apply any factor you want to account for player development and game-day coaching to the two teams to see if your optimism still holds water....

Look all 4 or 5* ratings aside you can't recruit heart or character name your school some players don't have it. You want to blame everything concerning Caden Stearns on the coach well I'm not.

OK still hasn't proven they can recruit or develop elite talent on defense yet. But they did sign a top class on defense this year so we'll see in the next couple of years. We need to be patient now.

Oh and one last comment on OK's recruiting class. When that Dallas kid Savion Byrd signed today he did a horns down. So he wants to rub our face in it man I sure hope we get a chance to f*** him up before he leaves there.

And it appears that were going to the Orlando Bowl and play NCS in 2 weeks. Let's see how our boys do. We've shown the last 4 games that the talent is there.

Look all 4 or 5* ratings aside you can't recruit heart or character name your school some players don't have it. You want to blame everything concerning Caden Stearns on the coach well I'm not.

OK still hasn't proven they can recruit or develop elite talent on defense yet. But they did sign a top class on defense this year so we'll see in the next couple of years. We need to be patient now.

Oh and one last comment on OK's recruiting class. When that Dallas kid Savion Byrd signed today he did a horns down. So he wants to rub our face in it man I sure hope we get a chance to f*** him up before he leaves there.

if mack brown were still here, his acl woulda torn ON THE SPOT

i miss the mack brown curse. then again, we may the latest and greatest victim of it.

Reactions: diadevic
Look this wasn’t the best class in Texas history but defensively I like the guys at the top half of the class. Offensively we quite literally got nothing IMO. Although I do like Jonathan Brooks.

Well were not out of the running for LJ Johnson and Q. Davis.

Some aggie came on here yesterday and said LJJ really wants to go to TX but he's uncertain about the future at TX.

Who knows what goes on in Q. Davis mind.

Maybe we can salvage something.

The whole thing was/is a mess. Tom Herman has created this more than anyone else with his antics.
But yes, CDC has certainly botched this process as well.

You're on to something. Yes coach Herman has made some mistakes in this matter.

But CDC has a lot of responsibility in this and that lukewarm statement would have insulted any coach.

But something that hasn't gotten a lot of coverage is the chairman of the board of regents involvement in this fiasco. I have sources who know for a fact that he forced himself on the athletic department and went to Ohio himself to interview UM. And he went there multiple times and he was the one that started the TH is gone story. And he went there numerous times before it finally dawned on him that UM isn't coming. And he's the one who's most responsible for all this bs. Sadly the spirit of Frank Erwin still lives on. If everything I've heard about this guy is true than no one is going to stand up to him certainly our athletic department won't.

He started the EoT thing. He has no desire to reach a compromise that will satisfy everyone.

In conclusion does coach Herman have responsibility in this? Yes but its so much deeper than that and people want to blame him for everything. The blatant disrespect would anger any coach and coach Herman doesn't deserve it. In short this regent is an a******.

HookemHorns

Last edited:

But CDC has a lot of responsibility in this and that lukewarm statement would have insulted any coach.

But something that hasn't gotten a lot of coverage is the chairman of the board of regents involvement in this fiasco. I have sources who know for a fact that he forced himself on the athletic department and went to Ohio himself to interview UM. And he went there multiple times and he was the one that started the TH is gone story. And he went there numerous times before it finally went there numerous times before it finally dawned on him that UM isn't coming. And he's the one who's most responsible for all this bs. Sadly the spirit of Frank Erwin still lives on. If everything I've heard about this guy is true than no one is going to stand up to him certainly our athletic department won't.

He's the one who started the EoT thing. And he's not about to reach a compromise that will satisfy everyone.

In conclusion does coach Herman have responsibility in this? Yes but its so much deeper than that and people want to blame him for everything. The blatant disrespect would anger any coach and coach Herman doesn't deserve it. In short he's an a******.

HookemHorns

If Herman didn't mock a player on the sideline, try to fight Gundy, flip off the cameras, sarcastically thank the fans, mismanage the SJW stuff, suck at in game management, and avoid the ok cool hook'em nonsense, then I'm sure all would be fine.

Herman has been a constant embarrassment to the program. He has alienated the fan base, his bosses, recruits, and many high school coaches. Not to mention many alumni.

He has a lot to do with this fiasco. And we are mediocre to boot.

But yes, CDC and the BMDs are also to blame. If you don't like the coach or don't think he is the guy, fire his ass. Don't shop the job behind his back. That is bush league.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Surely CDC is investigating that report. And if true, how can you keep this clown any longer?
We have some nice backs that I like, but we don't have anything like LJ Johnson. I do feel he would have a chance to have significant playing time right away. My honest opinion is that he REALLY likes Texas and that is where he would like to go, but I do feel that he thinks it's a shaky situation to go to with the coaching being what it is. I think he pushed things back wanting to make sure there wasn't a coaching change. I think if Meyer was hired he would have committed to Texas for sure.

But something that hasn't gotten a lot of coverage is the chairman of the board of regents involvement in this fiasco. I have sources who know for a fact that he forced himself on the athletic department and went to Ohio himself to interview UM. And he went there multiple times and he was the one that started the TH is gone story. And he went there numerous times before it finally dawned on him that UM isn't coming. And he's the one who's most responsible for all this bs. Sadly the spirit of Frank Erwin still lives on. If everything I've heard about this guy is true than no one is going to stand up to him certainly our athletic department won't.

He started the EoT thing. He has no desire to reach a compromise that will satisfy everyone.

In conclusion does coach Herman have responsibility in this? Yes but its so much deeper than that and people want to blame him for everything. The blatant disrespect would anger any coach and coach Herman doesn't deserve it. In short this regent is an a******.

HookemHorns
I am pretty sure I know who you're talking about. But I don't think he was the EOT instigator. Where did you hear this? If you can say....

I am pretty sure I know who you're talking about. But I don't think he was the EOT instigator. Where did you hear this? If you can say....

Family members who are alums who are involved like you are. But they watch closely, very closely, the going ons with the prez and regents. They've been watching this for more than 40 years. I have no reason to doubt them.

HookemHorns

If Herman didn't mock a player on the sideline, try to fight Gundy, flip off the cameras, sarcastically thank the fans, mismanage the SJW stuff, suck at in game management, and avoid the ok cool hook'em nonsense, then I'm sure all would be fine.

Herman has been a constant embarrassment to the program. He has alienated the fan base, his bosses, recruits, and many high school coaches. Not to mention many alumni.

But yes, CDC and the BMDs are also to blame. If you don't like the coach or don't think he is the guy, fire his ass. Don't shop the job behind his back. That is bush league.

For the most part I agree with the first 2 paragraphs. This may 😲 you but I enjoy talking with you on this thread. I don't know why 😃 but I do. If you're down with it we can talk later.

Mocking a player on the other team hey he started it. He and Gundy were both guilty were talking about 2 grown men acting like children. I agree with him on blm but he screwed up with the EoT and that's putting it mildly.

His biggest mistakes so far has been game management the ISU was his worst. But like it or not TH is coming back next year But a lot of this can be resolved with face to face meetings with all the people mentioned above. I don't like 6/3 either. But in the last 4 games were starting to show what kind of talent we have. He has more talent than when he got here. He's got to make it right because this is his last chance.

And coach Yurcich has to take some responsibility for play calling as well. Coach Herman must make it better with the press believe me that matters. All I can do is hope.

ADVERTISEMENT