ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Recruiting

Here's video of him throwing.

Wind up is a little long-- but they can shorten that.
He stares down his targets--- but they can teach him how to look off guys.
Looks like he has a strong arm.
Throws the deep out from the opposite hash well.
Kids got potential. I'd like to see his foot speed and see how well he throws on the run.

Kids got potential. I'd like to see his foot speed and see how well he throws on the run.
I like your assessment. I think he is slower foot wise than most think...but I think Texas is about to experience what Sooner fans do: a head coach that can coach the hell out of qb's.

I have posted that on here already about him. No doubt the kid had a strong arm he can throw the ball 70+ already. He was here working with QB guru Danny Hernandez he has work with tons of high recruits such as Justin Fields and other D1 qbs at the moment. He also got the chance to throw to the number 1 receiver Caleb Burton out of De Valle High school where the practice was held. They are comparing Malik to Winston already with high upside and high first round draft pick.

Well if that is the case Leftwich got drafted number 7
I think what he is saying is it s a good thing and a bad thing. Slow feet and a long throwing motion causes alot of sacks and some picks. Strong arm with accuracy helps overcome this. My take is if the head coach likes him the young man will do well.

I think what he is saying is it s a good thing and a bad thing. Slow feet and a long throwing motion causes alot of sacks and some picks. Strong arm with accuracy helps overcome this. My take is if the head coach likes him the young man will do well.

No I get it, the kid has only played 1 season in high school. It can all be fixed and the kid has a high ceiling. He is working with a qb guru at the moment as well.

Reactions: soonersoldier

Long throwing motion, but it is quick as hell. Slow feet is such an overrated QB statement. I've seen QBs with "quick" feet that aren't worth a shit. Hips are more important anyway.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
No I get it, the kid has only played 1 season in high school. It can all be fixed and the kid has a high ceiling. He is working with a qb guru at the moment as well.

Watch this highlight video of Leftwich. Watch his feet. Watch his throwing motion. Very, very uncanny and similar.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Long throwing motion, but it is quick as hell. Slow feet is such an overrated QB statement. I've seen QBs with "quick" feet that aren't worth a shit. Hips are more important anyway.
Yeah I am gonna disagree. A flat footed qb has more to overcome. QB's identified as good a good throwing qb are usually equipped with good hips. Footwork for a qb is a big deal whether simply dropping back to pass or rolling (scramble) and getting reset -or- throwing properly on the run.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
Yeah I am gonna disagree. A flat footed qb has more to overcome. QB's identified as good a good throwing qb are usually equipped with good hips. Footwork for a qb is a big deal whether simply dropping back to pass or rolling (scramble) and getting reset -or- throwing properly on the run.

I've seen LOADS of QBs that are lauded for their "footwork" not be worth a shit. And I've seen more than a fair share of "flat footed" QBs take hits because "lazy feet" and are complete nails.

Of course it matters, everything does. I'm saying it is highly overrated.

I've seen LOADS of QBs that are lauded for their "footwork" not be worth a shit. And I've seen more than a fair share of "flat footed" QBs take hits because "lazy feet" and are complete nails.

Of course it matters, everything does. I'm saying it is highly overrated.
I get it and I'm saying a qb's footwork is NOT highly overrated. If the throwing base is not strong the throws will not be good or repeatable. Look at it the other way: list the qb's with shitty footwork that are great in college and/or the pro's?

I get it and I'm saying a qb's footwork is NOT highly overrated. If the throwing base is not strong the throws will not be good or repeatable. Look at it the other way: list the qb's with shitty footwork that are great in college and/or the pro's?

Mahomes. Carr. Rodgers. Stafford.

All those guys were said to have/had bad feet.

What do they have in common? Big arms.

You can work on footwork, and need to, but if it isn't a point of strength for a QB, it isn't a big deal.

You can work on footwork, and need to, but if it isn't a point of strength for a QB, it isn't a big deal.
Sark's system doesn't place too much stress on the QB. He's got big bruising RBs and WRs that are playmakers (e.g., Waddle, Jerry Jeudy, Devonta Smith, et al).

I would be extremely happy to see an AL-style offense here - especially with similar results.

WTF? First Carr in that group is ridiculous. So Mahomes, Rodgers, and Stafford are on your list for bad footwork? Geesus. No shit they have big arms, evidently you can't get past that attribute to see their footwork is above average to great. Rodgers may have the best footwork of all time and Mahomes is only behind due to years in the league. Stafford is more "standard", prototypical passer but still a solid base with his footwork. I think you accidentally jumped in the deep end...

A couple more guys that don't have the best footwork.
Both of those qb's appear to be superior in other attributes. Newton was/is a freak athlete, although I would agree Winston is more questionable. I didn't say the kid ain't good, I said he throwing motion is long and his footwork seemed slow. I also said with the new head coach he would be fine...sorry I forgot to get the anointing oil out.

i didn't mean to cause all this; frankly, i was just being snarky. but again, if he's as good as advertised-- and t-shirt touch football doesn't move my needle-- we're in good shape, no matter how klubenik turns out.

Both of those qb's appear to be superior in other attributes. Newton was/is a freak athlete, although I would agree Winston is more questionable. I didn't say the kid ain't good, I said he throwing motion is long and his footwork seemed slow. I also said with the new head coach he would be fine...sorry I forgot to get the anointing oil out.

I don't think your assessment is wrong...in fact I agreed with the long throwing motion. He gets through it very quickly however...and the ball takes no time getting to the target. You're correct on the footwork too, I just feel it is a highly overrated criticism of a QB...so as long as they have other elite attributes. Malik has an elite arm and seems to have well above average accuracy. He will of course need to improve his footwork, but it isn't going to be a detriment IMO. And I used many successful college QBs that had the same criticism to use as support for my position.

WTF? First Carr in that group is ridiculous. So Mahomes, Rodgers, and Stafford are on your list for bad footwork? Geesus. No shit they have big arms, evidently you can't get past that attribute to see their footwork is above average to great. Rodgers may have the best footwork of all time and Mahomes is only behind due to years in the league. Stafford is more "standard", prototypical passer but still a solid base with his footwork. I think you accidentally jumped in the deep end...

Carr's last 3 years have been better than Stafford's. So if you're going to WTF Carr, then you need to do it to Stafford too.

Out of college every single one of those guys were criticized for bad footwork. And as recent as 2018, Rodgers was criticized for his footwork as the problems in his mechanics. As recent as last October, Stafford's footwork was brought into question. And Mahomes relies on his arm and ability to throw from many angles. In June 2020, Kurt Warner was talking about how Mahomes needs to clean up his footwork.

It's interesting that you come in hot on a topic you obviously didn't research. If you'd like, I can post every single article to back up my position on the topic.

Not sure why you chose to be a dick when we were having a legitimate conversation.

Are any of you guys disappointed that Cade Klubnik got away? I think he is a winner and he was right in your backyard. I’m not saying Murphy isn’t going to be something but he is so unknown. This is an honest question and not a slam on Murphy.

Are any of you guys disappointed that Cade Klubnik got away? I think he is a winner and he was right in your backyard. I’m not saying Murphy isn’t going to be something but he is so unknown. This is an honest question and not a slam on Murphy.

No, Cade was not a loss. Ewers on the other hand was but that is on Tommy Boy. We are good with Murphy. By the way, Casey Thompson is going to be better than any qb Texas A&M has had since Jonny snort.

No, Cade was not a loss. Ewers on the other hand was but that is on Tommy Boy. We are good with Murphy. By the way, Casey Thompson is going to be better than any qb Texas A&M has had since Jonny snort.
I will disagree with you on Cade. He is going to be a dude. He is a winner. I will see your Thompson and raise you Connor Weigman. I really like him. Hayes King...meh. Weigman is Johnny 2.0. I like Casey Thompson though. Murphy is that high risk and high reward type guy. Maybe he will be a stud, but Klubnik is going to be a good one.

ADVERTISEMENT