ADVERTISEMENT

Ryder Cup?

Oldmanastro

Jun 18, 2015
Anyone watching? Good stuff and fun to watch.
USA leading 6-2 which is a good day after day one.

🇺🇸 USA USA 🇺🇸

Reactions: freeper
One of my favorite sporting events to watch. The US team is loaded with young talent this year.

It's over. Whistling straights doesn't cater to European tour style play. We should close the door today. Look for us to need 2 points tomorrow to win.

Spieth’s chip shot was incredible. He damn near tumbled into the lake after chipping off that uphill slope on 17. He didn’t even see it go in.

Spieth’s chip shot was incredible. He damn near tumbled into the lake after chipping off that uphill slope on 17. He didn’t even see it go in.
That was insane! I don’t think it went in though. It was a miracle it even made it on the green.

When clob is right, clob let's you know he's right. When clob is wrong, clob owns that sh!t too. It's just that clob has been on a heater. It'll come to an end. All heaters do. But can't clob enjoy it while it lasts?
He can, but please share. I’ll be at the Hoppy Monk on 1604 later. Look for the big dude wearing a Longhorn cap backwards.

The teams split the afternoon sessions, so USA 🇺🇸 going into singles needing only 3 1/2 points to bring it home.

Really interested in the Xander/Rory and Bryson/Sergio matches.

I’m a big Xander fan: he’s outstanding in all aspects of the game (driving, irons and short game) but am really a fan of his personality. He just goes about his business in a humble, gracious way. Anyone that saw his Olympic gold medal ceremony saw how sincerely grateful he was for the moment.

I would say Colin Morikawa, along with DJ have been the mvp’s of this event. Quietly going along with their business while all the others get the attention.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
What a butt kicking this weekend was. 19 to freaking 9. As JDCPA said, USA golf is in good hands for years to come with all this young talent.
Straight whipping.

Now take these same players and stick them on a windswept lynx course in Scotland with greens the size of endzones that are hard as a rock, fairways no wider than your coffee table, and bunkers that provide blind green shots, and you probably won't get the same result.

Our players grew up playing these big fairways where they could crush their drive and then short iron in from 190. In Europe, it's different. Tight fairways put a premium on accurate drives. That means more control OR you drive with a 3 wood or long iron.

Remember the 2005 British at St. Andrew's? Tiger hits opening tee shot with driver and it goes way off into the Heather grass. He scrambles and saves par and never hits the driver again-- opting for a 3 wood off the tee for the next 71 holes. (Minus the par 3s obviously)
He shoots 66, 67, 71, 70. This is called course management. Our guys believe they can simply out drive everyone now, short wedge it in, and make a putt. Put them on a course that isn't as wide as the 101 in downtown LA and dudes start getting into trouble. Add deep Heather and club heads start getting grabbed and twisted. Our players have been playing off manicured courses their ENTIRE lives. Get them on a goat trap and they'll fall to pieces.

Marco Simone in Rome is the next venue. It's 6935 yards. Short course. Pretty wide open unless they grow up the rough big time, which I would do to challenge the US players. Huge green skirts, and trust me, the Americans will be distracted by the scenery. So long as they don't party their asses off and keep the drivers in the bag, this should be a win.

Book mark it.

Straight whipping.

Now take these same players and stick them on a windswept lynx course in Scotland with greens the size of endzones that are hard as a rock, fairways no wider than your coffee table, and bunkers that provide blind green shots, and you probably won't get the same result.

Our players grew up playing these big fairways where they could crush their drive and then short iron in from 190. In Europe, it's different. Tight fairways put a premium on accurate drives. That means more control OR you drive with a 3 wood or long iron.

Remember the 2005 British at St. Andrew's? Tiger hits opening tee shot with driver and it goes way off into the Heather grass. He scrambles and saves par and never hits the driver again-- opting for a 3 wood off the tee for the next 71 holes. (Minus the par 3s obviously)
He shoots 66, 67, 71, 70. This is called course management. Our guys believe they can simply out drive everyone now, short wedge it in, and make a putt. Put them on a course that isn't as wide as the 101 in downtown LA and dudes start getting into trouble. Add deep Heather and club heads start getting grabbed and twisted. Our players have been playing off manicured courses their ENTIRE lives. Get them on a goat trap and they'll fall to pieces.

Marco Simone in Rome is the next venue. It's 6935 yards. Short course. Pretty wide open unless they grow up the rough big time, which I would do to challenge the US players. Huge green skirts, and trust me, the Americans will be distracted by the scenery. So long as they don't party their asses off and keep the drivers in the bag, this should be a win.

Book mark it.
The Euros have to get new blood on their team. That's the key in my opinion. DJ was our oldest player at 37. We're young compared to the Euros who had 4 players at least 41: Sergio - 41; Casey - 44; Poulter - 45; and Westwood - 48. Tons of Ryder Cup experience but it's not overcoming the sheer talent of our young bucks.

Rahm, Hovland, McIlroy (and maybe Sergio in 2 years) form a solid core, but guys like Matt Fitzpatrick aren't the answer.

Home course advantages are generally moot in today's game. These players go back and forth across the pond so often that they can play anywhere. They know proper trajectory, knock-down shots, can hit a draw or cut it into the wind, and can putt anywhere. Whistling Straits with its winds on Fri/Sat was more links-style than a US country club.

I was skeptical that US golf would be interesting post-Tiger. I was wrong; these guys are uber-talented and fun to watch. I wouldn't bet against us in 2 years.

The Euros have to get new blood on their team. That's the key in my opinion. DJ was our oldest player at 37. We're young compared to the Euros who had 4 players at least 41: Sergio - 41; Casey - 44; Poulter - 45; and Westwood - 48. Tons of Ryder Cup experience but it's not overcoming the sheer talent of our young bucks.

Rahm, Hovland, McIlroy (and maybe Sergio in 2 years) form a solid core, but guys like Matt Fitzpatrick aren't the answer.

Home course advantages are generally moot in today's game. These players go back and forth across the pond so often that they can play anywhere. They know proper trajectory, knock-down shots, can hit a draw or cut it into the wind, and can putt anywhere. Whistling Straits with its winds on Fri/Sat was more links-style than a US country club.

I was skeptical that US golf would be interesting post-Tiger. I was wrong; these guys are uber-talented and fun to watch. I wouldn't bet against us in 2 years.
You say that but did you know that since 2007, there have been 5 American winners an 9 non-american winners at the British Open. That's pretty much 2-1. Home course advantage may not be as BIG as it once was, but it still exists, at least at the British Open.

You say that but did you know that since 2007, there have been 5 American winners an 9 non-american winners at the British Open. That's pretty much 2-1. Home course advantage may not be as BIG as it once was, but it still exists, at least at the British Open.

My man . . . I'll go with the following stat for the last 20 years: The Champion Golfer of the Year has been American 10 times, Euro 7 times, and South African 3 times.

I would expect Louie to win another in the next few years and maybe an Australian.

Straight whipping.

Book mark it.
Links style courses do not have tight fairways. And Whistling Straights is about as close to a links style course as you will get in the United States with it being right on the coast of Lake Michigan and being really windy almost every day as well as no trees. That and the deep ass bunkers are extremely similar to those links style courses over in Europe. Long hitters typically thrive on these style courses.

Straight whipping.

Book mark it.

Clob, are you dating Debbie Downer by any chance? 😞

Clob, are you dating Debbie Downer by any chance? 😞
Not at all. But spending years around golfers has taught me that there are different style courses here vs Europe. And if you look at the architecture of golf and how it's evolved, its changed WITH the game. As players got longer drives, courses (like Augusta National) lengthened themselves trying to take away the long ball advantage. European courses didn't go longer, they went tighter with more hazard areas. Why? Because those courses over there are super old and steeped in tradition (especially UK, Ireland etc). Those courses are considered "purist" courses because, well, the game was invented there-- so they cling to their history.

Over here, it's Tom Fazzio and Arnold Palmer, Pete Dye and let's smash the sh!t out of it for 7300 yards and see who can putt.

I enjoy the European courses more. You've got to THINK to play well. You've got elements, especially on the coast. Wind blows this way at 8am, and the other way at noon. Think you're going to stick your shot pin high on the turtle back green? Wrong. Hit a knock down and roll it up there.
And the Europeans can set their courses up to be literally impossible to score on. I love that sh!t. Nothing like watching a bunch of pros used to hitting onto baby soft greens because it sprinkled last night and then being able to ram home puts because the greens are slow.

Fvck that. Tighten those courses, penalize anybody that doesn't stay in the fairway. Minimum 10 inch cut in the first rough with Heather and long grass past that. Stimp meters rolling at 16, and let's see who can play golf.

Not at all. But spending years around golfers has taught me that there are different style courses here vs Europe. And if you look at the architecture of golf and how it's evolved, its changed WITH the game. As players got longer drives, courses (like Augusta National) lengthened themselves trying to take away the long ball advantage. European courses didn't go longer, they went tighter with more hazard areas. Why? Because those courses over there are super old and steeped in tradition (especially UK, Ireland etc). Those courses are considered "purist" courses because, well, the game was invented there-- so they cling to their history.

Over here, it's Tom Fazzio and Arnold Palmer, Pete Dye and let's smash the sh!t out of it for 7300 yards and see who can putt.

I enjoy the European courses more. You've got to THINK to play well. You've got elements, especially on the coast. Wind blows this way at 8am, and the other way at noon. Think you're going to stick your shot pin high on the turtle back green? Wrong. Hit a knock down and roll it up there.
And the Europeans can set their courses up to be literally impossible to score on. I love that sh!t. Nothing like watching a bunch of pros used to hitting onto baby soft greens because it sprinkled last night and then being able to ram home puts because the greens are slow.

Fvck that. Tighten those courses, penalize anybody that doesn't stay in the fairway. Minimum 10 inch cut in the first rough with Heather and long grass past that. Stimp meters rolling at 16, and let's see who can play golf.
Sorry I asked. When does your book go to press? Just kidding. Enlightening post.👍🏻

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT