ADVERTISEMENT

Sam Cosmi Opts Out

hornfan2006

Jan 24, 2011
Good luck to him in the NFL. I don’t blame him for sitting out the rest of this meaningless season.

Probably the right call for him. I don’t really understand why he’s a1st round pick, but he is so probably the right call for him.

I hope every good player opts out, lets drop these last two games and put the final nail in the Herman coffin.

I want to discuss these last two coaching hires and why they failed.

Charlie Strong a supposid defensive genus knew nothing about offense and it showed in his coaching choices on offense. He came in and got rid of a lot of bad apples, but did so without a plan for replacing them. His defenses never lived up to his reputation. My biggest complaint was that he had zero game time management, how many bone headed mistakes were made during game time situations that left us scratching our heads?

I think if one picture summed up the Charlie Strong tenure at Texas it was the picture of Charlie kicking back at Texas with his feet up on the desk. That seemed to be his approach to the Texas job and it kicked his ass.

Tom Herman - Supposed to be an offensive genius and a rising star. We won the fight for him over LSU and we thought we really had a winner, while at U of H he kicked the crap out of Bob Stoops and Oklahoma and Jimbo Fisher at FSU.

He came in breathing fire, and most of us thought it was great after all this program was full of guys who were entitled children. Then I started to notice a few things. He went out of his way to prove how tough he was and he always came away looking like an idiot. from swinging the sledge hammer and almost falling over when he was tearing down the old lockerroom to getting off the team bus with a baseball bat. It never failed to make himself look just dumb. Then the on field antics of picking a fight with another coach to mocking an opposing player. Finally doing the double bird to the camera on national signing day.

Tom Herman proved one thing, he was not a mature adult. He also proved that he could get his team up for a big bowl game, but had no idea how to prepare for lesser regular season games against Iowa state or even Maryland.

The nail in the coffin is his inability to recruit elite players, how do you lose the top offensive linemen in the nation whose last name happens to be Brockermeyer? Now we have lost the opportunity to get a generational QB in Quin Ewers.

He has to go, there is no other answer, and we have to bring in a big name to reinvigerate this program. Let's face it, if we go back to the 1983 team in those 37 years only about 12 of them were good years and the other 25 were filled with bad football and terrible coaching hires.

No in person classes. Does not need the university anymore perhaps not engaged in getting a degree. Signed a contract with an agent. . already fronted some $ after this past Friday.

this is today’s college athlete ???

hoping Cosmi works on getting his degree

No in person classes. Does not need the university anymore perhaps not engaged in getting a degree. Signed a contract with an agent. . already fronted some $ after this past Friday.

this is today’s college athlete ???

hoping Cosmi works on getting his degree
Probably only has a couple semesters left for his degree. Most of today’s athletes are going pro and finishing up their degree in the offseason. In the end a couple semesters of college tuition isn’t worth passing up millions in the bank account.

I hope Herman follows his lead !

giphy.gif

I just don't see cosmi as a first round pick. Maybe he will be, but he hasn't shown me that on the field.
Cosmi will absolutely be a first round pick. He might even go top 15. I keep up with all the draft gurus and they are really high on him. I guess they see something we all don’t.

I'm really pi**ed of with Cosmi. He quit on his team. He was elected as one of the captains this year and captains don't quit on their teams before the season ends. Period.

Did you see what happened to Kerrsetter? That could have been Cosmi. I'm glad he opted out, He is likely going to be a first round pick, it's not like we've had many of them lately. If he tore up his ankle yesterday it would have ended his chances at going in the first. Smart move on his part.

Did you see what happened to Kerrsetter? That could have been Cosmi. I'm glad he opted out, He is likely going to be a first round pick, it's not like we've had many of them lately. If he tore up his ankle yesterday it would have ended his chances at going in the first. Smart move on his part.

Unfortunately SOW is correct here. As much as I hate it, these guys have big money contracts waiting on them. Everything is about money these days. Football and sports in general are just a means to an end anymore. Very few play just for the joy of the game. It's a new time.

Can't fault Cosmi.

Reactions: okiehorn
I'm really pi**ed of with Cosmi. He quit on his team. He was elected as one of the captains this year and captains don't quit on their teams before the season ends. Period.
Why go out there and play 3 more pointless games and risk getting injured. He is projected as a first round pick. If he were to get hurt it might end up costing him millions of dollars. I don’t blame the kid one damn bit.

I feel horrible for what happened to Derek Kerstetter. It's one of these things that happens that everyone regrets. Did any of you guys even bother to watch coach Herman's post game presser? Be honest. If you did you would have found out that Derek Kerstetter was released from the hospital and was in the locker room at the end of the game. In his wheelchair he led the team in singing TX Fight. Some of the guys had tears in their eyes as he led them in song. In his wheelchair.

Now that's what a captain is supposed to do. Sam Cosmi is a captain who doesn't care about that. He stopped caring about his team. He showed me what kind of guy he really is. That he really only cares about himself. You think his teammates don't know that about him now? Derek Kerstetter is another captain who does care about his team first.

And the guys had tears in their eyes singing Texas Fight you guys should think about that. These guys really do care about their team and school and you guys should like that. They want to win badly. These guys don't hate their school. And Texas fans need to have hope that this Eyes of Texas issue gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to digress. Nobody likes a quitter but that's what Stearns and Cosmi are.

I feel horrible for what happened to Derek Kerstetter. It's one of these things that happens that everyone regrets. Did any of you guys even bother to watch coach Herman's post game presser? Be honest. If you did you would have found out that Derek Kerstetter was released from the hospital and was in the locker room at the end of the game. In his wheelchair he led the team in singing TX Fight. Some of the guys had tears in their eyes as he led them in song. In his wheelchair.

Now that's what a captain is supposed to do. Sam Cosmi is a captain who doesn't care about that. He stopped caring about his team. He showed me what kind of guy he really is. That he really only cares about himself. You think his teammates don't know that about him now? Derek Kerstetter is another captain who does care about his team first.

And the guys had tears in their eyes singing Texas Fight you guys should think about that. These guys really do care about their team and school and you guys should like that. They want to win badly. These guys don't hate their school. And Texas fans need to have hope that this Eyes of Texas issue gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to digress. Nobody likes a quitter but that's what Stearns and Cosmi are.
That’s all well and good, and I’m glad that Derick was able to have that moment, but the fact is that sometimes you do have to look out for yourself in life, and Sam Cosmi has life changing money for he and his family waiting for him. He can’t risk that. And every single one of us would do the same damn thing, and any one who says they wouldn’t isn’t being honest.

So I bring up Colt Mccoy did he "opt" out during the national championship game?

Good point. Joseph Ossai,another 4th year year jr captain, who's a better player and NFL prospect, has stayed on. Did you see the tears in his eyes when Derek Kerstetter went down. Sam, Joseph, Taquon, and Derek, are leaders.

Reactions: UTGrad87
Why go out there and play 3 more pointless games and risk getting injured. He is projected as a first round pick. If he were to get hurt it might end up costing him millions of dollars. I don’t blame the kid one damn bit.
I see your point. But if not playing the "pointless games", then there should be some type of return of money invested in the athlete opting out, such as scholarship or medical $$, if it isn't already. That "investment payback" then should be rewarded to a non scholarship team member who chooses to stay part of the team.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Guys it's really simple.

It's all about the atmosphere around the team.

Money has changed in the NFL. We talked about that in a previous post. More money + social media money + branding money etc etc.

If a kid feels as though he has no "team accomplishment" left to play for, and their "agent" or "adviser" (whatever you want to label that person whispering in their ear) tells them they will be a high enough pick-- then they are gone. If their "adviser" says to them "hey bro, you're a 3rd rounder right now, but if you have a couple of great games and play like a monster in the bowl game, you can bump up a round or maybe even 2"--- then they are staying.

Someone has told Cosmi that based on his body of work thus far (I just don't see it) that he could STOP playing today and he is a lock for 1st round pick. Cosmi thinks to himself "welp, there's no conference title to play for, I've already been to two mid tier bowls and a sugar bowl, no way we make the playoffs--- so been there, done all I can do at the collegiate level-- time for me to go."

Now here's the kicker. Sam is taking the word of someone he trusts that has assured him he will be a 1st round pick. If Sam isn't a 1st round pick, then he and his agent severely fvcked up.

You know Sam Ellenger got a lot of good PR for saying “oh I would never opt out”. It’s easy for him to say that, but if he were In Trevor Lawrence position or Justin Fields position he would be thinking very differently( as he should)

You know Sam Ellenger got a lot of good PR for saying “oh I would never opt out”. It’s easy for him to say that, but if he were In Trevor Lawrence position or Justin Fields position he would be thinking very differently( as he should)

Or maybe he wouldn't. Not everyone makes every decision based on money, as hard as that might be to believe.

Guys it's really simple.

Money has changed in the NFL. We talked about that in a previous post. More money + social media money + branding money etc etc.

If a kid feels as though he has no "team accomplishment" left to play for, and their "agent" or "adviser" (whatever you want to label that person whispering in their ear) tells them they will be a high enough pick-- then they are gone. If their "adviser" says to them "hey bro, you're a 3rd rounder right now, but if you have a couple of great games and play like a monster in the bowl game, you can bump up a round or maybe even 2"--- then they are staying.

Someone has told Cosmi that based on his body of work thus far (I just don't see it) that he could STOP playing today and he is a lock for 1st round pick. Cosmi thinks to himself "welp, there's no conference title to play for, I've already been to two mid tier bowls and a sugar bowl, no way we make the playoffs--- so been there, done all I can do at the collegiate level-- time for me to go."

Now here's the kicker. Sam is taking the word of someone he trusts that has assured him he will be a 1st round pick. If Sam isn't a 1st round pick, then he and his agent severely fvcked up.
I don’t think it has much to do with the locker room at Texas. I think agents/players saw what happened to Jaylor Smith a few years ago and it just changed perspective of the risk vs reward factor. Look at Jaylon Waddle at Alabama. Probably lost millions after his injury a few weeks ago.

Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are still playing.

Reactions: outhereincali
Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are still playing.
And if Trevor Lawerence and Clemson lose your ND in the ACC championship he won’t play in the bowl game I bet. Which is exactly what Cosmi did. He played until there was nothing to play for and then said I’m done. If they had beaten Iowa state he’d still be playing

Guys it's really simple.

Not only that but the difference in a first round pick is your contract is fully guaranteed for 4 years vs. a 2nd round pick whose contract is only guaranteed for 2 years. That’s a 20 million dollar difference right there.
The difference in Ossai and Cosmi is Cosmi’s stock has already peaked. Ossai’s stock is still on the rise. He started the season projected as a day 2 pick. He has now vaulted himself into potentially a top 20-25 pick. A couple more good performances on film could easily put him into the top 15.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT