ADVERTISEMENT

Shane- not one series

Cotton #12

Feb 26, 2011
Arlington,Texas
Wonder why Shane has not taken one snap as QB all season so if you have an answer pass it on.He could have came in last night.

Last edited:
I wondered the same thing. The last 4 minutes of the game we took over on offense (winning 37-14) and thought we would see him come in and take some snaps. Makes no sense to me.

Maybe they have a gentleman’s agreement to RS him this year if possible so he has more eligibility when he grad transfers.

Reactions: HornsUp37 and westx
Maybe they have a gentleman’s agreement to RS him this year if possible so he has more eligibility when he grad transfers.

My thought as well. If Shane RS this year can he play some another team next year?

My thought as well. If Shane RS this year can he play some another team next year?
If he’s graduated like Tre Watson. Otherwise he has to sit 1 year, 2 if it’s in conference.

I honestly think that the reason Sam stayed in the game for trash time is nothing more than: confidence. Sam doesn't have it in his bones what it feels like to win big games. He has consistently been the General in close, big games, and he knows better than anyone what it feels like to lead those games and then LOSE. Dejected. Confused. The weight of the game and the season on his shoulders... I think it was VERY smart move to leave Sam in there so HE can be the guy who takes a knee and leads his team to victory. He needs to know what that feels like so that Herman can grab him by the jersey and say THAT IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE SAM

Reactions: freeper
Hermans playing that ole Mack Brown roll the dice with one QB , just like when Colt got hurt, no Fing QB ready to go cause he had not let him play any, rather rotate QBs then let one start, keeps them both on top of the game.
I honestly think that the reason Sam stayed in the game for trash time is nothing more than: confidence. Sam doesn't have it in his bones what it feels like to win big games. He has consistently been the General in close, big games, and he knows better than anyone what it feels like to lead those games and then LOSE. Dejected. Confused. The weight of the game and the season on his shoulders... I think it was VERY smart move to leave Sam in there so HE can be the guy who takes a knee and leads his team to victory. He needs to know what that feels like so that Herman can grab him by the jersey and say THAT IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE SAM

Hook'em

Reactions: Cotton #12
Hermans playing that ole Mack Brown roll the dice with one QB , just like when Colt got hurt, no Fing QB ready to go cause he had not let him play any, rather rotate QBs then let one start, keeps them both on top of the game.

Hook'em

Not saying that Shane shouldn't have played by now, but remember when Mack, who you love to hate for some reason, rotated Simms and Applewhite? That didn't go so well.

Not saying that Shane shouldn't have played by now, but remember when Mack, who you love to hate for some reason, rotated Simms and Applewhite? That didn't go so well.
I think that scenario is a bit different. We have a QB that runs into contact. We absolutely need to give #2 as many game time reps as possible when the outcome has been settled. If it's not Boo, then the next in line has to go in.
What's the point in having more than one if you don't get him some experience. Boo, could use some confidence booster as well.

Hermans playing that ole Mack Brown roll the dice with one QB , just like when Colt got hurt, no Fing QB ready to go cause he had not let him play any, rather rotate QBs then let one start, keeps them both on top of the game

FB...you are singing my song.My biggest gripe about Mack was that he was too nice a guy to keep his foot on the gas. DKR relished those blowouts because he could get his guys on the bench ready to play if/WHEN he needed them. No way DKR would have had to trot out a no experienced freshman during a Natty!....DKR played em all....and all had better be ready to go, because he put em in live games..

Hook'em

I can see it now. TH trots Shane out and he throws a couple of TDs then we have all the fans saying put him in over Sam. Sounds familiar. Shane has experience it’s no where near what we had with Colt and Gilbert. I want Shane to get reps but wouldn’t we want meaningful ones. Not just hand offs?

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
rotated Simms and Applewhite
Simms wasn't a good QB to start with.I believe Applewhite saved the day in a couple games, Chrissy was nothing but, me me me from the 1st day he got a UT, and you can't deny the way the Last Bama turned out as he had no one but Gilbert who hadn't done much in practice to try to win, and that's why I despise MB cause he lost that Bama game by not being prepared for Colts getting hurt, you don't go into a Natty game with one QB, you wanted to know and that's it and the way he just let the program hit the dirt after that..Ash was a good QB but, got hurt all the time, and MB was gonna have us back to play the Natty again with only Swoopes, still haven't figured why MB burnt his shirt for 1 play in Fort Worth against the Froggies, I am sure others could add to why they don't like him now..you brought it up and thats my answer, I only said what it looked like it looked like and thats what it looks like to me, no QB goes without getting hurt in this game at some point

I don't hate anyone just despises the things they do..

Hook'em

I think it's a bit of an overreaction. Do we need to get our backups some playing time? Absolutely. But RIGHT NOW the most important thing is getting Sam the confidence and swagger he needs to lead the team to some victories over the next 3 weeks. If and when we get leads in some of these next few games, maybe we will see a backup. If not, then that is what the Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas games are for.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
If not, then that is what the Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas games are for.

Hopefully! I thought we could do it with Tulsa but that didn’t work out. Here’s to hoping this USC game got us over the hump. We’ll see.

Hopefully! I thought we could do it with Tulsa but that didn’t work out. Here’s to hoping this USC game got us over the hump. We’ll see.
Tulsa would've been the perfect time for this! Too bad we were playing for lives the entire second half...

I think it's a bit of an overreaction. Do we need to get our backups some playing time? Absolutely. But RIGHT NOW the most important thing is getting Sam the confidence and swagger he needs to lead the team to some victories over the next 3 weeks. If and when we get leads in some of these next few games, maybe we will see a backup. If not, then that is what the Baylor, Iowa State, and Kansas games are for.
I see your point of view but honestly, there's no bigger boost that being pulled from a game because you whooped so much ass that your backup gets to come in & pick up some scraps.
I hate a QB controversy as much as anyone but if a backup starts lighting the world on fire then by God he had better be playing. It's a dog eat dog world. You either wait your turn or you take it when given a chance.
Best man gets the job.

Tulsa would've been the perfect time for this! Too bad we were playing for lives the entire second half...
Shoulda woulda coulda. We laid an egg against Tulsa and we're lucky their special teams didn't show up to play.
Our 1st string shouldn't have been wearing pads after the half.

It only takes one hit on the QB and if you not prepared then you gonna lose unless ya got it covered, if your QB getting more yds than your RBs , somethings wrong!
Hook'em

I see your point of view but honestly, there's no bigger boost that being pulled from a game because you whooped so much ass that your backup gets to come in & pick up some scraps.
I hate a QB controversy as much as anyone but if a backup starts lighting the world on fire then by God he had better be playing. It's a dog eat dog world. You either wait your turn or you take it when given a chance.
Best man gets the job.
Under normal circumstances, yes, but you're talking about a kid who has never dominated and won a big collegiate game. Ever.

Under normal circumstances, yes, but you're talking about a kid who has never dominated and won a big collegiate game. Ever.
I'll meet ya in the middle and agree.

Now that he's won a biggie, from now on his ass had better be riding the pine in the 4th qter if the game is already decided.

Reactions: JHop6714
Simms wasn't a good QB to start with.I believe Applewhite saved the day in a couple games, Chrissy was nothing but, me me me from the 1st day he got a UT, and you can't deny the way the Last Bama turned out as he had no one but Gilbert who hadn't done much in practice to try to win, and that's why I despise MB cause he lost that Bama game by not being prepared for Colts getting hurt, you don't go into a Natty game with one QB, you wanted to know and that's it and the way he just let the program hit the dirt after that..Ash was a good QB but, got hurt all the time, and MB was gonna have us back to play the Natty again with only Swoopes, still haven't figured why MB burnt his shirt for 1 play in Fort Worth against the Froggies, I am sure others could add to why they don't like him now..you brought it up and thats my answer, I only said what it looked like it looked like and thats what it looks like to me, no QB goes without getting hurt in this game at some point

I don't hate anyone just despises the things they do..

Hook'em

I'd take MB back all over again. He was a helluva coach at Texas and brought us a national championship and put Texas football back on the map. Sure, he made some mistakes, but the good outweighed the bad. Only one coach, DKR, was a better coach at Texas than Mack Brown.

It only takes one hit on the QB and if you not prepared then you gonna lose unless ya got it covered, if your QB getting more yds than your RBs , somethings wrong!
Hook'em
Agreed, but right now, we are playing for our lives and trying to find our identity. Sam needed to know what it's like to win a big game. Going forward, we need to get Shane some snaps.

I'd take MB back all over again. He was a helluva coach at Texas and brought us a national championship and put Texas football back on the map. Sure, he made some mistakes, but the good outweighed the bad. Only one coach, DKR, was a better coach at Texas than Mack Brown.

I probably would too after going thru CS and now Hermann, its such a riddle why MB did all that stuff, no QB, and then layed it down for why? Looks like he sorta wanted to commit suicide??? or didn't he know what the hell he was doing? DKr had his faults too, but never was unprepared for the QB issue and then the Swoopes deal, he hailed as the next VY???

Hook'em

If Sam finishes the season without an injury, it will be the first time that has happened since Vince in 2005.

I hope TH knows what he is doing. It's a huge gamble.

ADVERTISEMENT