ADVERTISEMENT

So Shane gets 1st reps

60% of the snaps went to Shane today according to Hookem.com.
Feels like Herman is setting up himself, Shane and Sam up for ano win situation. Feels like he's gearing up to start Shane. In a perfect world he gets off to a fast start wins the game and quites everything down. Shane gets off to a bad start though now Herman is in a bind, and if he goes back to Sam mid game he will be expected to pull the game out of the fire. Tough spot for everyone.

Feels like Herman is setting up himself, Shane and Sam up for ano win situation. Feels like he's gearing up to start Shane. In a perfect world he gets off to a fast start wins the game and quites everything down. Shane gets off to a bad start though now Herman is in a bind, and if he goes back to Sam mid game he will be expected to pull the game out of the fire. Tough spot for everyone.

Unless he's giving Shane a chance to start to allow him to play good and if not then the competition is over if Sam comes in and does better. Shane was just pulled due to injury so if he's still practicing well and goes out and shows he can handle the starting position I'm ok with that. If he can't then I'm ok with Sam taking over and shutting down the who will start the next game talk.

Feels to me like Herman is trying to put himself in the best position to win.He now knows he can count on Sam, but Sam still needs to get a little better. He will get there. Shane is the better passer. If any other teams go all out SoCal and dare us to beat them with the pass it might go well for us. Our O-line is the wild card here and that isnt a good thing.Given enough time, Shane is deadly.....given enough time Sam is dangerous, but not deadly. If the O-line cannot give enough time, Sam's mobility might be required.

Unless he's giving Shane a chance to start to allow him to play good and if not then the competition is over if Sam comes in and does better. Shane was just pulled due to injury so if he's still practicing well and goes out and shows he can handle the starting position I'm ok with that. If he can't then I'm ok with Sam taking over and shutting down the who will start the next game talk.
If Shane plays well your right it shuts it down. If Sam comes in and plays well it only shuts it down if Herman is willing to say "Sam is our guy"

Feels to me like Herman is trying to put himself in the best position to win.He now knows he can count on Sam, but Sam still needs to get a little better. He will get there. Shane is the better passer. If any other teams go all out SoCal and dare us to beat them with the pass it might go well for us. Our O-line is the wild card here and that isnt a good thing.Given enough time, Shane is deadly.....given enough time Sam is dangerous, but not deadly. If the O-line cannot give enough time, Sam's mobility might be required.
I keep seeing some argue that Shane gives us the best chance to win and that's what Herman is going with. I don't see anything that suggest Shane gives us a greater chance to win. What exactly is it that he has done? I think at best you can argue Shane and Sam are even and with that being the case I think you go with Sam

I keep seeing some argue that Shane gives us the best chance to win and that's what Herman is going with. I don't see anything that suggest Shane gives us a greater chance to win. What exactly is it that he has done? I think at best you can argue Shane and Sam are even and with that being the case I think you go with Sam
I am beginning to wonder about you.....Shane played great for a true freshman last year and against Maryland he did pretty dang good for a QB running for his life. Shane is more accurate than Sam right now.....not even close......he gets rid of the ball faster....not even close...Shane is no slouch at running himself, hell some of you act like Sam is VY, he is not....going with Sam would be stupid right now. This is silly. Sam literally played well for 2 or 3 series in the SC game......the rest he looked like a freshman. The hate for Shane from you is nonsense.

Reactions: oldhorn2
what I see on these boards is the fans think Sam gives us the best chance to win, but almost to a man, the analyists say Shane gives us the best chance I still am puzzled that there is such a wide disparity of folks saying one or the other has the strongest arm.

At any rate I think from what I have seen is that Shane is far and away the most accurate of the two.In the end, I am not going to second guess the coaches here..

Sam is a ok QB as of now. Can scramble but not super fast. Can't hit a stop sign if he was standing right in front of it. He needs to get better at that. He has a bright future and needs to get more experience.
Shane is a way better passer. He can run but not to the level as of Sam. If we go back and look at the USC game and if Shane start, we win. Sam missed on alot of throws that I know Shane would've hit.
Shane needs to start.
Warren needs to start and get 15-25 carries.
Collin need to get 10 passes thrown his way.
Need a package with Shane at QB and Sam in the backfield. Heard at WR. Use that package 5-7 times with multiple looks.
Need to convert a DL to OL asap. Also, needs a TE to step up

what I see on these boards is the fans think Sam gives us the best chance to win, but almost to a man, the analyists say Shane gives us the best chance I still am puzzled that there is such a wide disparity of folks saying one or the other has the strongest arm.

At any rate I think from what I have seen is that Shane is far and away the most accurate of the two.In the end, I am not going to second guess the coaches here..
Anyone watching both of them sees what you see oldhorn. Shane gives the best chance. That doesn't mean Sam later on will not overtake him. Sam does not have the wheels people give him credit for and he doesn't have a "cannon". Texas fans are known for wanting the next "star" QB to be the starter.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
I think it's very telling that we all say "Sam may be the better option later". I don't think I've seen anyone argue that Shane may get better? So if we're dealing with a guy who could get better vs a guy who pretty much is what he is why not go with the guy with upside?

Serious question does anyone think we win the USC game with Shane at QB? If the answer is no aren't we pretty much in the same boat with either guy? And if that's the case whst exactly is Shane giving us a better chance to win?

Ryan....thats the problem. Frankly, I think a healthy Shane starting DOES win that game.Never underestimate what an accurately thrown ball can do for an offense. Case in point...USC's first TD You cannot defend that. USC lined up and dared us to pass. Great strategy against an unseasoned freshman, but not so smart against an accurate passer.

Look...I am all for Sam. He can scramble his ass off because he is a load to bring down, but he aint no VY running. I will give you that on that reverse where Sam...SAM!!! was the lead blocker and he just leveled a guy. Shane cant do that. At any rate....whoever the coaches go with is who I am going with.

I think it's very telling that we all say "Sam may be the better option later". I don't think I've seen anyone argue that Shane may get better? So if we're dealing with a guy who could get better vs a guy who pretty much is what he is why not go with the guy with upside?

Serious question does anyone think we win the USC game with Shane at QB? If the answer is no aren't we pretty much in the same boat with either guy? And if that's the case whst exactly is Shane giving us a better chance to win?
You think that just because people say Sam could get better we automatically mean Shane won't....that is nonsense. Shane may start all 4 years he is here....what WE are SAYING is Sam COULD get better but he ain't better right now.

You seem to twist and distort every opinion on here to fit your narrow view.

Why don't you think Shane has upside? You think Shane is as good as he will ever be? You are just one of those guys where if 10 people say they like Coca-cola you say you like Pepsi.

Ryan....thats the problem. Frankly, I think a healthy Shane starting DOES win that game.Never underestimate what an accurately thrown ball can do for an offense. Case in point...USC's first TD You cannot defend that. USC lined up and dared us to pass. Great strategy against an unseasoned freshman, but not so smart against an accurate passer.

Look...I am all for Sam. He can scramble his ass off because he is a load to bring down, but he aint no VY running. I will give you that on that reverse where Sam...SAM!!! was the lead blocker and he just leveled a guy. Shane cant do that. At any rate....whoever the coaches go with is who I am going with.
If Shane plays the USC game it is a Texas win. I believe that.

People seem to forget how bad Sam played for 3 quarters and he had 4 turnovers.

You think that just because people say Sam could get better we automatically mean Shane won't....that is nonsense. Shane may start all 4 years he is here....what WE are SAYING is Sam COULD get better but he ain't better right now.

You seem to twist and distort every opinion on here to fit your narrow view.

Why don't you think Shane has upside? You think Shane is as good as he will ever be? You are just one of those guys where if 10 people say they like Coca-cola you say you like Pepsi.
All I'm saying is I seem people arguing that Sam has upside but Shane is better now. Very rarely do you see anyone arguing for Shane's upside.

People seem to forget how bad Sam played for 3 quarters and he had 4 turnovers.

In all fairness swVA....Had Warren just made that damned block on 4th and 4 from the 10 yd line, Sam goen in untouched( or for sure gets the 1st down on the 5) and the whole game has a different feel

I disagree. I don't think Shane wins the game. In fact Shane may not make it out alive of that gsme with the way the OL played.

Yes your right the best skill Sam has right now his his scrambling ability. And it may be the oneskill Texas needs right now.

No upside?...You dont think the game will slow down for him and his reads get better and better? Of course they will.

No upside?...You dont think the game will slow down for him and his reads get better and better? Of course they will.
Maybe. He's still limited on the throws he can and will make, and something that isn't addressed much is the durability question. He was reportedly playing through injury last year. It was ovbious to that he wasn't the same guy about halfway through the year. He comes out and gets banged up week 1 and misses two games this year. Not knocking the kid. At this point you have to at least wonder about his ability to hold up.

Yeah not knocking the kid WHILE he is knocking him. The OL did not play terrible in the USC game. That is just crazy. WATCH the game. There was at least 8 to 10 drops that the QB could have and should have gotten rid of the ball......but he held it.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
Yeah not knocking the kid WHILE he is knocking him. The OL did not play terrible in the USC game. That is just crazy. WATCH the game. There was at least 8 to 10 drops that the QB could have and should have gotten rid of the ball......but he held it.
Wondering if the kid can stay healthy and saying he's limited on the throws he can make isn't knocking him. It's just reality. I mean he was playing through injury last year and got injured week 1 this year.

The OL wasn't the best. Sevreal low bad snaps from center, a ton of pressure all night and not many holes in the running game(whst little we ran the ball.

Prediction and you can paste this at the top and call me out if I'm wrong. The next top 5 team Texas has Sam Ellinger or one of the incoming freshman will be the QB. Not Shane. I just don't see him as that guy.

Maybe. He's still limited on the throws he can and will make, and something that isn't addressed much is the durability question. He was reportedly playing through injury last year. It was ovbious to that he wasn't the same guy about halfway through the year. He comes out and gets banged up on the throwsweek 1 and misses two games this year. Not knocking the kid. At this point you have to at least wonder about his ability to hold up.

Whoa there hoss.....What do you mean Shane is limited on the throws he can and will make???.. Where did you gleen that? Everything I read says he can make any throw. Fact is Shane can make throws that I am not sure Sam can, and he damned sure can make them more accurately.

I am not saying Sam is Heard, but he isnt Shane either.

I think Shane should start. Sam needs some seasoning. I was thinking during the game that Shane must really be hurt not be replacing Sam. I back old bubbles on starting Shane.

Shane should start if healthy. Sam is not better at any aspect other than running. I give Shane an edge on everything but running the ball. That being said I expect Sam to likely take over by season's end. I don't think Shane can stay healthy. He has pretty much had some nagging injury his entire career here, and it has made him completely ineffective in a lot of games.

I don't think Shane automatically beats USC either. Lets not forget the horrible showing this Shane led offense had against Maryland. Both can improve. Sam has higher upside because he is a better physical platform, but so much of the QB position is mental that you really can't write off either.

I didn't read the whole thread, so this stance may have already been said verbatim

If the Jerrod Heard experience has taught us anything, it's that you can't judge potential based on a couple games. As more game film abounds, opponents learn to take away your strengths and force you into relying on your weaknesses.

So don't be so quick to promote anyone as the next best thing, unless his play shows clear signs of dominance, transcendence. We're clearly not there yet.

ADVERTISEMENT