Spanker Gheyfield and Cleveland

Discussion in 'Longhorn Sports' started by clob94, Aug 9, 2018.

1. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yall all know i can't stand him, but I told you he should be drafted first to shake up the draft....

Turd swallower actually looked decent tonight.

2. TheTruthof2018

TheTruthof2018 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Even if he is a Sooner can't hate him because UT never wanted him
    Just another great Austin QB in the NFL.
    Hopefully Ehlinger becomes another one.

3. LonghornMM

LonghornMM Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Mayfield in the NFL. =)roll:rolleyes:

4. Heisennberg

Heisennberg Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Considering Mayfield and now Wilson, it's interesting some of the bigger name austin kids that didnt go to texas. The list has some star power too. Drew Brees, Nick Foles and Connor Brewer. Manziel was 100 miles away and a fan. I bet if you looked within 100 miles of UT campus that list is even more impressive. Kind of crazy

5. Metcalf #2

Metcalf #2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah we've talked extensively on many occasions about how many QBs Mack missed right under his nose. You're not breaking news.

6. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

I sure hope not. The recent miss of wilson kind of reminded me about all the other misses.

7. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Obvious troll is obvious.

Try harder next time bruh.

8. Metcalf #2

Expand Collapse

Wilson was not a miss. Try again.

9. TheTruthof2018

Expand Collapse

Brees was not offered a scholarship.
    Foles was not offered a scholarship
    Mayfield was not offered a major college scholarship anywhere

Ehlinger another Austin QB was chosen ahead of Brewer.

Herman and the new staff have done a great job with the PWO program.
    Texas is getting walk ons who have been offered scholarships from other schools.
    Brockermeyer could have went to Oregon St. He wanted to walk on at UT.
    Travis West could have went to West Point but he walked on. West has potential to play for UT.

Let's just say if Herman and his staff find another Mayfield they would offer him a PWO

From reports was that he could not attend UT academically. That was why he went to Tech.
    Don't know if PWO's have different academic criteria than normal walk ons

q1w2e3 likes this.
  10. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

There's more than one way to miss. Swinging and missing is as much of a miss as not offering at all

Cool! I'm aware they dont miss out on them all, they have plenty of Austin talent that came through campus. I just found it interesting about those noteable players going and having nice careers in other places. It's not often you can miss out on a player right in your back yard and he goes somewhere else. But they dont all stay home!

11. TheTruthof2018

Expand Collapse

Nick Foles is a decent QB but he is not Colt McCoy.
    McCoy to me is a better QB because of his quick release. Not taking anything away from Foles but if I needed a backup QB in most NFL offenses I would take McCoy.

Brees is a great QB but his progression had a lot to do with the coaching staff at Purdue and Sean Payton.
    Without Payton Brees would have been a good NFL but not a HoF

Mayfield?
    Everyone missed Mayfield.
    It wasn't like Mayfield was on anyone's radar before he went to Tech

I would be the first to tell you Mack Brown had flaws.
    Mack Brown during his time at UT cost them a few NC.
    When he came the economy in Texas and population started to boom and if it wasn't for one of the greatest CFB players ever VY Brown would still be without a NC

Mack Brown is no longer the HC.
    Herman has done a fantastic job at creating a new culture at UT

12. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I look forward to watching Baker the trash talking crybaby fail in Cleveland.

westx and LonghornMM like this.
  13. Metcalf #2

Expand Collapse

Wilson is not from Austin. He grew up in Columbus, OH, and is a life long Buckeye fan. Try again.

BringBackRoyal likes this.
  14. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

Well first of all they were all guys who went on to do big things after they left Austin was my whole point. Nothing to get all defensive over. It happens all the time, texas has a qb from moore which is the next town over from Norman. Just thought it was funny since wilson played a few miles away from DKR and went elsewhere too.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Foles threw for 373 yards with 3 touchdowns in the super bowl, so you can have your boy Mccoy, but at least Foles has proved what he can do on the biggest stage. Maybe mccoy will get lucky and get a chance like that and be QB1 but he's been in the league for a while now...

And I'm sure herman will change things. New coaches can have that effect

Well get your lube ready, they'll lose more than they win in cleveland

Well my point is that he was a high school super star playing in your backyard

15. Metcalf #2

Expand Collapse

Yeah and the fact that his heart was still in Ohio the whole time makes your point invalid. You can't fault any coach for not signing a guy like that.

On the other hand, since you're so insistent on this subject, how do you explain Kasey Thompson?

16. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

I'm not faulting anyone. Did you even see me do that anywhere, at all? Nope. But if I wanted to find fault I could cite the his own words which was something about how he didn't want to be another texas underachiever.

What's to explain about Thompson? He went to texas and his daddy went to OU. If he turns out to be great and becomes a legend over there then it would be a huge miss. But I like where they are with Rattler who would seem to be much better.

17. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Thompson didn’t want to be another $ooner criminal in an orange jumpsuit.

LonghornMM and Metcalf #2 like this.
  18. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've run out of balls. Will you please gather them up? Just turn around and walk towards the backstop......

Metcalf #2 likes this.
  19. Metcalf #2

Expand Collapse

When you're talking about Texas missing on all these recruits, you're saying there's fault somewhere, genius.

Losing an OU legacy kid who played in Oklahoma is a big miss, period. Especially after we took Rising from you. The thought in Oklahoma was that since Texas took another top QB, that maybe OU could convince him to stay home. NOPE! The kid decided he'd rather go to Texas and deal with the competition than stay home in Oklahoma. Lol.

You're lucky we have Roschon, or we'd probably take Rattler from you, too. We might still, just to be d*cks. Lol

LonghornMM and Scholz like this.
  20. TheTruthof2018

Expand Collapse

Doesn't this OU fan know Wilson is badmouthing his school as well

Wilson said the BIG XII, including OU, provides him with less of a chance to reach the NFL than Ohio St does

He has been saying this narrative at camps from what I have heard.

He is a bad apple this year. Don't even know why he is in Texas. Needs to take his Yankee ass back to Ohio.

2300 Nueces likes this.
  21. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

Sure i suppose there's fault with anything huh? I say someone is pregnant and sure i guess that means someone's at fault. But who cares whose fault it is, it happened was the point of my observation.

Sure it could be a miss, if he ended up being good. I was more concerned about Rising to be honest, but OU ended up getting Rattler, who IMO is better than all of 'em so there was no way he was gonna be getting playing time, and neither did his brother. And there's no way Rattler would ever go texas, he wants to play in an offense. Gonna be tough beating our Riley for qbs going from this point but we'll see!

Legacies They dont always end up good. Ok state missed out on barry sanders's kid but he wasnt all that good. Didnt turn out to be a huge miss. Deion Sanders' kid went to SMU, you think FSU kicked themselves for it? Nah.

22. LonghornMM

LonghornMM Moderator
    Expand Collapse

With comments like this that he's making, I can only assume that he's an arrogant prima donna at Lake Travis. One would think that Texas HS players wouldn't care for his attitude and comments about the Big 12 and Texas. Dude better have his head on a swivel on the field this year.

2300 Nueces likes this.
  23. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yes we’ll see how good Riley is without Baker. His offense and play calling was rather lacking at the end of that Georgia game.

24. TheTruthof2018

Expand Collapse

Don't you get why UT is recruiting elite defensive players.
    Not to mention they will be bringing in another great RB this year to go with Ingram.

Why be like OU with their great QBs.
    Not like they are winning NC

What happened last year in the Red River Shootout will be turned up this yeae because the players are more comfortable with the scheme on O and D.

You control the ball and play elite D.

Watch how UT dominated Iowa St, Baylor and WV last year.
    This year it could be the entire conference because the OL and DL are 100% better

You can have your 5 star QB. Lincoln Riley has too much Mike Leach in him and that does not equal championships

25. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

That's fair but, we also had to wait to see how good he'd be without stoops, westbrook, perine, mixon et al. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes it doesnt take from how good he has been as a play caller to that point

OU is in a position to compete for a NC just about every season, the way they are built it's reloading every year, so far. THey may or may not win but it's all about getting there and they are in the hunt. Riley may have some Leach in him but he's not all that much like him- as a play caller he's just as ingenius at getting yards but Riley's offense runs the ball a lot more, he is not an air it out all the time play caller like Leach is prone to be. Uses more tight ends and H backs too. Pretty significant differences if you ask me

26. Mister Moses

Mister Moses Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The NFL is interested in Riley’s offense. You should read more than just Texas hype. I don’t believe the NFL cares for concussion left and concussion right that Herman runs. You have Rison and Thompson. OU ended up with Tanner Mordacai

27. westx

westx Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

"Almost" doesn't count but, he almost had two NCs with Colt. Mack's real downfall was betting the farm on Garrett Gilbert. He literally bet the farm by not recruiting other QBs after securing GG. I understand why he did it, I mean, GG was "all everything" and was a top prospect, but, we Longhorn fans are still paying that bet.

28. TheTruthof2018

Expand Collapse

I think the issue started early for Mack Brown and it was that he did not create competition between the players.
    The starting positions became secure
    Not pulling Simms during the Red River Shootout in 2001.
    To me 2001 was the first NC that Mack left on the table.
    Who is to say that after 2001 and then getting VY the ball wouldn't have gotten rolling.

The issue to me with him goes a lot deeper and that was his idea as CEO of UT.
    Not saying it didn't bring success but it could have been a lot more with a coach who should have done a better job at recruiting nationally after VY in 2005. A coach who created a culture that ultimately failed quick when things went wrong

You come to Texas to win.
    It should have been you come to Texas to work and get better so we can win.

When they failed no one took responsibility because they thought in was the program who won and not the players.

29. outhereincali

outhereincali Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Heisenberg there is something you don't seem to understand. The greater Austin area is what now 1.5 million? And it's starting to become a hotbed for top talent, P5 worthy talent, AA talent. I assume you know there is a limit of only 25 players scholly players each year.

That being said the University of Texas can't sign the best players in the Austin area every year so why area you trying to make a big deal out of all this?

Finally let me give you a list of our best qb's over time last 20 years.

Colt McCoy was from a class 2A school in some podunk West Texas town I
    can't remember.

Vince was from Houston

Major Applewhite was from Baton Rouge, LA

James Brown was from Beaumont.

Now what else do you want to talk about?

30. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Valid. He's put up a lot of points with different players against teams not as good as OU. My point however was that he was flat outcoached in the 2nd half of that Georgia game against a comparable team. Baker balled out, that particular loss was on Riley's playcalling IMO. Remember also that you guys had the ball in the 4th with 3.5 minutes left with a 7-point lead and couldn't move the ball when you needed to.

I guess all the youth QBs want to sign up for that awesomeness on the national stage.

31. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

I understand that very well. I am also aware of scholarship limits. Im not making a big deal of it, i made an observation and some of you responded. So it's continuing as i am responding to those responses and the conversation keeps going. The fact that we are discussing it now doesnt mean i am making a big deal of it. just responding to peoples' posts. And while they cant take all the best in austin every year they can sure have their pick of the very best... so that's why its more than nothing. I mean it's probably the easiest university to recruit from in the country for football.

What else do YOU want to talk about?

I understand what happened in the 2nd half, I was watching the game too. He also coached an incredible first half and that also has to be recognized. You cant expect him to be excellent 100% of the time, his track record is shows us what kind of play caller he is and for a rookie HC I think he did a fine job. All he has to do is learn from his mistakes because everyone makes them. I mean from that game he decided he wanted to hire Beamer away from them and hired defensive analyst in Diaco, who has had some nice success on defense. Hired a new S&C coach and it's already paying off big time. Things like that you like to see out of a HC. Stoops was more stubborn in that department

32. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Did I touch a nerve? I thought we were making veiled passive aggressive insults under the guise of interesting football talk. Is that not what's going on here? Like you make comments like "you guys lose local players and have no offense" and I bring up Riley's faceplant in the CFP semis last year since all QBs want to play for him apparently. If not, sincere apologies.

Yes, I understand how halftime adjustments happened on the part of Georgia and not OU. That's called coaching. I watched the game too.

33. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

It's been a year now and I'm starting to experience withdrawal symptoms......

I never thought going through life without making Bob stoops bag'o dicks jokes would be so difficult.

LonghornMM and Scholz like this.
  34. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

No nerve touched, just confirming that Indeed, I too watched that game.

I'm spectacularly happy with the direction the team is going and am very satisfied with last season. It's really a great time to be a Sooner

35. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Well bully for you then.

Still, I would think having a 7-point lead and the ball with 3.5 minutes left with a trip to the national championship game on the line and then blowing it would leave a bad taste in a fan's mouth. But good for you looking at the silver lining.

36. LonghornMM

LonghornMM Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I fail to comprehend how anyone could intentionally be a Sooner fan. Barf. o_O

Scholz likes this.
  37. TheTruthof2018

Expand Collapse

I am glad you are so confident but your lack of understanding the game is apparent.
    OU under Riley will continue to struggle until there is a total transformation to their defense.

Herman is building the Anti Oklahoma.
    Meaning he is building a team that can control the clock and ball with both their defense and offense.

Your entire team is dependent on one player. Your QB.
    Texas learned the consequences of this in 2009.
    UT was the better team but couldn't win unless McCoy was there.

Herman won at Ohio St with 3 QBs. He just put another one in because his offense was centered around the OL.

HornDrummer, Scholz and LonghornMM like this.
  38. Heisennberg

Expand Collapse

Right-o ole chap.

I didnt say it didnt suck to see them lose that game.. Still really happy with last season.

Well I am glad you are so confident in your post but your lack of understanding on what direction OU is going with defense is apparent. OU under Riley didnt struggle all that much and that was with a really bad defense. Still all their best players are freshmen and sophmores for the most part. If you follow recruiting you will note that defense has been trending upward since 2017- in fact you'd be hard pressed to find a better 2018 Dline class than OU's D line class. nearly the whole 2 deep, for the first tine in a very long time will be full of 4 and 5 star guys instead of 3 and 4 star guys and that will start to really pay dividends soon. You know how recruiting is the lifeblood of a program and he's taking it seriously on defense. So yeah that transformation is forthcoming as they transition in those players.

OU's entire team is not dependent on the QB , that is a true betrayer of your knowledge of OU. There really is no weakness on offense, in fact if there was one, it would be the lack of experience at QB, the position you think the whole team depends on completely. The qb will be surrounded by talent, it will make his job easy.

I've went over that in a previous post. It's really easy, just as easy as it would be to be fan of any local team.

39. Belldozer1

Belldozer1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree. I was horrified when we opened the 2nd half of play and OU came out playing like we were going to slow things down and let our defense shut the other team down. I could not understand for the life of me why we did not keep the pedal down and just wear Georgia out offensively. But, we didn't and here we are.

40. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Live and learn. We'll see if the midget can keep up Baker's level of play.