ADVERTISEMENT

Sports sites and customer service

JHop6714

Oct 31, 2016
Texas
Does anyone have experience with 247Sports? I signed up for a free trial and got HOSED on some BS semantics in the language.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/UserSubscription/New?promo=TOC

Despite clicking on a banner that said 7-DAY FREE TRIAL which takes you a page that at the top says in general "Choose a plan that's right for you. 7-Day Risk-Free Trial" you then have to pick between three options: monthly, VIP, or annual. Apparently if you click one of the first two, you get access to a 7-day free trial. But if you click the third option "annual" you don't get a trial option. I cancelled within 6 days, called and explained myself, complained, etc.. and even pointed out to the customer service supervisor that I find the way this website is set up as a bit tricky. He simply said "nope, it's clear" and refused to cancel my service or refund my money. I've never experienced being treated in such a way. Yes I know now that I shouldn't have clicked the annual option as it's excluded from the trial, but to me it's not very obvious and you have to triple-check despite all the offerings for the free trial. I'm appalled

Call credit card company, cancel transaction, claim fraud, get new credit card issued.

Send clob 5% of your savings for my advice.

QUOTE="JHop6714, post: 10583368, member: 110375"]Does anyone have experience with 247Sports? I signed up for a free trial and got HOSED on some BS semantics in the language.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/UserSubscription/New?promo=TOC

Despite clicking on a banner that said 7-DAY FREE TRIAL which takes you a page that at the top says in general "Choose a plan that's right for you. 7-Day Risk-Free Trial" you then have to pick between three options: monthly, VIP, or annual. Apparently if you click one of the first two, you get access to a 7-day free trial. But if you click the third option "annual" you don't get a trial option. I cancelled within 6 days, called and explained myself, complained, etc.. and even pointed out to the customer service supervisor that I find the way this website is set up as a bit tricky. He simply said "nope, it's clear" and refused to cancel my service or refund my money. I've never experienced being treated in such a way. Yes I know now that I shouldn't have clicked the annual option as it's excluded from the trial, but to me it's not very obvious and you have to triple-check despite all the offerings for the free trial. I'm appalled[/QUOTE]

Reactions: JHop6714
Definitely deceptive, shady BS. Despite the variations within the options, all three options are included under a larger "7-day risk-free trial" banner. Like clob said, call your CC company and dispute the charges.

Also, you wouldn't be happy with 247's forum anyway. The crowd over there is generally triggered by anything that isn't unadulterated sunshine pumping. If you want to subscribe to a pay site, InsideTexas generally has a higher level of discussion going on than the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHop6714
After contacting my credit card company, calling and complaining to 247, sending multiple email complaints to 247 and parent company CBS sports, I finally got a response from someone. The story is different now...before I had picked an option that 'wasn't eligible' and now they say it didn't get cancelled in time for the charge. That's not true because the charge happened immediately. But whatever, they did the right thing (finally) and refunded me. I asked Taylor @ 247 to help so either something she did or one of my emails finally got the attention of someone who could do something about it.

---

I took a look at your situation, and have provided a full refund. It will take several business days for this refund to appear on your account.

This is a case of poor communication on our side. The way that these email cancellations are supposed to work are that we need two business days notice to process an email cancellation - it simply takes that long to manually get to them and cancel them out. You sent us an email after business hours the last day of the trial. This was under the wire but without enough time to process it before it renewed - there was simply no one in the office to handle it by the time it arrived. It was cancelled promptly the next morning. But, by then, your account had been charged.

You should have had the information in your hands that, should you choose to use email to cancel a subscription, we simply need more time to get it done. This should appear in our FAQ but does not, a situation we will resolve.

Again, our apologies on the poor communication both during and after the process. Your account has been cancelled and your money refunded.

--

After contacting my credit card company, calling and complaining to 247, sending multiple email complaints to 247 and parent company CBS sports, I finally got a response from someone. The story is different now...before I had picked an option that 'wasn't eligible' and now they say it didn't get cancelled in time for the charge. That's not true because the charge happened immediately. But whatever, they did the right thing (finally) and refunded me. I asked Taylor @ 247 to help so either something she did or one of my emails finally got the attention of someone who could do something about it.

---

I took a look at your situation, and have provided a full refund. It will take several business days for this refund to appear on your account.

This is a case of poor communication on our side. The way that these email cancellations are supposed to work are that we need two business days notice to process an email cancellation - it simply takes that long to manually get to them and cancel them out. You sent us an email after business hours the last day of the trial. This was under the wire but without enough time to process it before it renewed - there was simply no one in the office to handle it by the time it arrived. It was cancelled promptly the next morning. But, by then, your account had been charged.

You should have had the information in your hands that, should you choose to use email to cancel a subscription, we simply need more time to get it done. This should appear in our FAQ but does not, a situation we will resolve.

Again, our apologies on the poor communication both during and after the process. Your account has been cancelled and your money refunded.

--

There is no need to pay for any info services. If you want up to the second info., go to 247 and follow all the players offered by Texas on twitter. You will know everything you need to know by following them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT