ADVERTISEMENT

Spring 2023 Thread

It’s kinda interesting. Didn’t Mack Brown try to hire Cryst years ago?
Yes, but apparently what happened was Mack offered him a co-offensive coordinator role and pay raise when Cryst was a sole offensive coordinator at WI and chryst was not happy with that from what I read. Chryst was Mack’s first choice for OC. Chryst did not accept and left. Then we settled on Bryan harsin.

You ever see Wisconsin run the football?

I'll take it.
Yes, I have, and never saw this coach throw one block. Was that running success because of him, or the great offensive lines he had? Did he recruit and coach them? Sure, but Flood has that under control. So why do we need him?

We should have hired a coach with a history of elite qbs. Cause if a qb doesn't develop this year it'll be another year of an offense without an identity.

Reactions: Lampasas
Yes, I have, and never saw this coach throw one block. Was that running success because of him, or the great offensive lines he had? Did he recruit and coach them? Sure, but Flood has that under control. So why do we need him?
For the same reason we needed Gary Patterson last season. Having a coach with head coaching experience do some reverse scouting for you is never a bad thing. He’s a master of the zone running scheme and that’s something we struggled with last season. Here’s a good article explaining his offensive schemes. Look at it as Sark swallowing his pride a little bit and admitting he needs a little help. It’s not a bad thing at all.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
ezygtxlgrc061.jpg

For the same reason we needed Gary Patterson last season. Having a coach with head coaching experience do some reverse scouting for you is never a bad thing. He’s a master of the zone running scheme and that’s something we struggled with last season. Here’s a good article explaining his offensive schemes. Look at it as Sark swallowing his pride a little bit and admitting he needs a little help. It’s not a bad thing at all.

Not saying it’s a bad thing, just not impressed.

I see we have a lot of comedians this morning. But you're the same guys who thought we desperately needed Gary Patterson to help a proven dc like Pete Kwiatkowski. And at lot of your wouldn't acknowledge coach K's contribution last year.

So even if Sarkisian has a proven record it can help to bring in some input. Let's face it Ewers has a lot to prove. Do does Murphy and Manning. I mean AL is the second game somebody has to be really ready on 9/9/23. Well see.

I see we have a lot of comedians this morning. But you're the same guys who thought we desperately needed Gary Patterson to help a proven dc like Pete Kwiatkowski. And at lot of your wouldn't acknowledge coach K's contribution last year.

So even if Sarkisian has a proven record it can help to bring in some input. Let's face it Ewers has a lot to prove. Do does Murphy and Manning. I mean AL is the second game somebody has to be really ready on 9/9/23. Well see.
I’ll speak for myself here i never thought PK needed Patterson’s help, and I think Pattersons impact on the defense was overstated last year. I’m sure he did add value because he is a great coach, but PK having a 2nd year with mostly the same guys was probably more impactful than Gary Patterson being in on meetings

I’ll speak for myself here i never thought PK needed Patterson’s help, and I think Pattersons impact on the defense was overstated last year. I’m sure he did add value because he is a great coach, but PK having a 2nd year with mostly the same guys was probably more impactful than Gary Patterson being in on meetings
Well..... we are going to find out really quickly if Patterson's insight is missed.
We start getting out schemed early and we could be in for a long season.

Well..... we are going to find out really quickly if Patterson's insight is missed.
We start getting out schemed early and we could be in for a long season.
Eh but even then. None of us really know what Patterson did last year. We can suspect, guess, assume but that’s all we’d be doing. I can tell you what he didn’t do. He didn’t coach a single practice or call a single play. There is no question that he provided valuable insight but none of us really know to what extent.

Eh but even then. None of us really know what Patterson did last year. We can suspect, guess, assume but that’s all we’d be doing. I can tell you what he didn’t do. He didn’t coach a single practice or call a single play. There is no question that he provided valuable insight but none of us really know to what extent.
Meh-- agreed. All we really have is numbers and statistics.

And like the old saying-

There's lies-
There damned lies-
And there's statistics.

Anyone know anything about this KJ Lacey QB we just got for 2025?
Honestly I had never heard of him, but it sounds like he was highly coveted by the likes of Tennessee and Alabama, and he’s from Alabama so that’s pretty big. Drawing a lot of Bryce Young comparisons.

Another interesting thing, he has a super speedy teammate named Ryan Williams, who’s currently committed to Alabama. Be nice if he could help flip that guy.

This is the first year he’s had the same starting QB returning from the year before. Let’s see what happens this year with Quinn. My guess is he takes a step forward.

How quickly ppl forget Ewers was a 18 year old freshman last year who hasn't played in 3 years before. Looked amazing before his injury and then had growing pains. Bank on this , Ewers will be the team MVP next year. He will not be the weak link if we have one , that cost us games.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Believe me I want you to be right.
I just don’t understand the sentiment of thinking a freshman QB was going to be a finished product in year 1. It’s almost like people forgot what VY and Sam looked like their freshman years. Both guys took a leap in year 2. Colt was an outlier but even he had a setback in year 2.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I just don’t understand the sentiment of thinking a freshman QB was going to be a finished product in year 1. It’s almost like people forgot what VY and Sam looked like their freshman years. Both guys took a leap in year 2. Colt was an outlier but even he had a setback in year 2.
I think it was "the flashes". I've said it a dozen times- I had many doubts about him until I watched him throw in person.

Then I checked the box for arm strength.
Then the Bama game happened and when he hit that deep out with surgical accuracy- I saw the "flash" I needed to see.
But-- and this is a man sized but- I don't know if Ewers has recovered from that hit and injury during that game.

Reactions: Etlonghorn
I think it was "the flashes". I've said it a dozen times- I had many doubts about him until I watched him throw in person.

Then I checked the box for arm strength.
Then the Bama game happened and when he hit that deep out with surgical accuracy- I saw the "flash" I needed to see.
But-- and this is a man sized but- I don't know if Ewers has recovered from that hit and injury during that game.
I know it’s all hypotheticals, but damn imagine if Ewers never gets hurt in that game and goes on to beat Bama. Even if they don’t beat Bama but Ewers never gets hurt, the trajectory of the season changes completely. It’s likely he keeps progressing every game, never loses his confidence, and is close to a finished product by the end of the season.

Tough break for the kid in the biggest game of his college career. I agree with others that he will take a step forward this year. Not sure if he will be top ten pick good like others are projecting, but he will be better than last year for sure. He had some games last year where I came away thinking he would be the next Texas Heisman QB.

I know it’s all hypotheticals, but damn imagine if Ewers never gets hurt in that game and goes on to beat Bama. Even if they don’t beat Bama but Ewers never gets hurt, the trajectory of the season changes completely. It’s likely he keeps progressing every game, never loses his confidence, and is close to a finished product by the end of the season.

Tough break for the kid in the biggest game of his college career. I agree with others that he will take a step forward this year. Not sure if he will be top ten pick good like others are projecting, but he will be better than last year for sure. He had some games last year where I came away thinking he would be the next Texas Heisman QB.
Yes.. it's a shame.

BUT-- overcoming adversity is part of what makes a good player- a great player.

It also separates the pretenders from the contenders.

ADVERTISEMENT