ADVERTISEMENT

spring football

oldhorn2

Jan 2, 2013
***We had been hearing that things were pretty even on the quarterback battle front. In fact, if anything I had heard Hudson may have been a bit better.

***But I’m told in the scrimmage, this past Saturday, Casey Thompson, “looked the best, by far”.

***Told that Hudson threw a pick-six. Also, of note was told the pick-six was thrown to another Thompson…Josh Thompson. Word is he has been incredible in spring ball.

***Basically source said that if Casey continues where he left off Saturday, he will be the dude.

***I think it is interesting that throughout the time Casey has been at Texas, you never really hear him standing out as a practice guy. But, man, it seems when the bullets are live, something happens and he shows out.

***Also, was told Bijan Robinson has taken another step. Was told “instincts are unreal. It’s like he is able to see where a defender is going to be before the defender has made a decision to be there”.

***We had been hearing that things were pretty even on the quarterback battle front. In fact, if anything I had heard Hudson may have been a bit better.

***But I’m told in the scrimmage, this past Saturday, Casey Thompson, “looked the best, by far”.

***Told that Hudson threw a pick-six. Also, of note was told the pick-six was thrown to another Thompson…Josh Thompson. Word is he has been incredible in spring ball.

***Basically source said that if Casey continues where he left off Saturday, he will be the dude.

***I think it is interesting that throughout the time Casey has been at Texas, you never really hear him standing out as a practice guy. But, man, it seems when the bullets are live, something happens and he shows out.

***Also, was told Bijan Robinson has taken another step. Was told “instincts are unreal. It’s like he is able to see where a defender is going to be before the defender has made a decision to be there”.

Now that Herman's gone the lights are coming on Old!

Reactions: TexLou and oldhorn2
I have read in 2 places that Card did NOT throw the pick-6 to Thompson....the video shows it was Wright that threw it.

To go along with this......everywhere I read from the stolen sources they cannot say enough about Thompson. Apparently he is a ball hawk of the first order.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I've read that Sarkisian is conducting practices different than Herman in that starters are going up against each other in practice. As to the benefits of this I'm still learning.

I also saw that Coburn and I believe Brewer said the new s&c staff are having everyone lose weight. Coburn said he will be 25 pounds lighter next season. Maybe the previous staff had them bulked up to much. New coaches new attitudes.

And I've heard good things about the freshman who have reported early. Besides Jaedan Alexis, Jameer Johnson, Gunnar Helm, and especially JD Coffey have impressed. No surprise in JD's case.

When you have a new coach the 1st spring ball season is always fun.

Coburn wants to be lighter so he can stay in for more snaps.....and yes...Sark has the 1's against the 1's....you know...like DKR did. What is the benefit?....to get better!!!....No country club atmosphere....the guys are working hard.....sopposedly, Bijan and Rojo are WAY ahead of what they were last year.

Reactions: horn4life11
I've read that Sarkisian is conducting practices different than Herman in that starters are going up against each other in practice. As to the benefits of this I'm still learning.

I also saw that Coburn and I believe Brewer said the new s&c staff are having everyone lose weight. Coburn said he will be 25 pounds lighter next season. Maybe the previous staff had them bulked up to much. New coaches new attitudes.

And I've heard good things about the freshman who have reported early. Besides Jaedan Alexis, Jameer Johnson, Gunnar Helm, and especially JD Coffey have impressed. No surprise in JD's case.

When you have a new coach the 1st spring ball season is always fun.
Let me key you in on a little secret.

One v one happens all the time. The question is-- how much one v one.

Some coaches shy away from doing too much when one side of the ball is far superior to the other side. You don't want to wreck the confidence of your defense by going against an offense that averages 50 points a game. And when you DO go one v one with a strong O and weak D-- you make sure you call offensive plays that play into the strength of your defense.

It's a confidence shell game.

Reactions: okiehorn and DHHorn
Let me key you in on a little secret.

One v one happens all the time. The question is-- how much one v one.

Some coaches shy away from doing too much when one side of the ball is far superior to the other side. You don't want to wreck the confidence of your defense by going against an offense that averages 50 points a game. And when you DO go one v one with a strong O and weak D-- you make sure you call offensive plays that play into the strength of your defense.

It's a confidence shell game.
I had forgotten that coach Royal did things like that.

Coburn wants to be lighter so he can stay in for more snaps.....and yes...Sark has the 1's against the 1's....you know...like DKR did. What is the benefit?....to get better!!!....No country club atmosphere....the guys are working hard.....sopposedly, Bijan and Rojo are WAY ahead of what they were last year.

Roschon Johnson would be a feature back at most schools.

I'm looking forward to learning more about guys like

Jaylin Ford and Ray Thornton at lb
Alfred Collins at dt
Andrej Karic and Jake Majors in the ol
Troy Omiere at wr

I wonder if Ryan Bujkevski's career is over. It can't look good for a punter with an acl on each knee.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Hey Bell....do you really expect OU's defense to be better, or are you just as full of the kool aide as we are?

Hey Bell....do you really expect OU's defense to be better, or are you just as full of the kool aide as we are?
I do expect OU’s defense to be legit this year. It’s been many years since I’ve felt that way.

more stolen info...(when I steal it I have no idea whether it is GOOD info or not....)

Karic....the most technically proficient OL in the program

Josh Thompson....will be a future draft pick...and team captain..

Kitan Craford....would start most places..

Gbenda....good chance to start at WILL....together with Overshown gives us an insanely fast LB core

Whittington...toughest, most versetile, most reliable WR

brother...I feel your pain. I am a ham fisted hunt and pecker, and I am amazed at what I have posted sometimes...

amish-kingpin.jpg

Bijan can run...exciting....but how about Schooler?...He ran Bijan down from the opposite sde of the field like a cheeta running down a gazelle....and delivered a damned good lick besides.

dammit!...y'all dont hurt Bijan!

He sure did get the wrong angle, but I do like the hustle to give him a lick. But yes please don't hurt Bijan

Fresh, just seeing Wiley out there puts this offensive staff about 100000000 notches above the last group. And then FINALLY putting your field stretcher in the slot?

Should be fun to watch.
Heck yes. Bijan gonna Bijan but what truely perked my ears was the slot. Supposedly Sark really likes getting the ball to playmakers in open field to let them shine. I've heard Bijan has wr hands too so expect him to kick out if defenses get too aggressive.
Man oh man, I really hope the rest of the team buys in to this staffs vision.

Heck yes. Bijan gonna Bijan but what truely perked my ears was the slot. Supposedly Sark really likes getting the ball to playmakers in open field to let them shine. I've heard Bijan has wr hands too so expect him to kick out if defenses get too aggressive.
Man oh man, I really hope the rest of the team buys in to this staffs vision.

It is one thing to want players in space...a completely different thing to have the play design ability to make that happen. And it doesn't stop there, you have to be great teachers too. In order to design plays in such a way that creates favorable matchups, the players have to have the vocabulary and understanding of scheme. I think Texas has that now...not so sure the last decade.

It is one thing to want players in space...a completely different thing to have the play design ability to make that happen. And it doesn't stop there, you have to be great teachers too. In order to design plays in such a way that creates favorable matchups, the players have to have the vocabulary and understanding of scheme. I think Texas has that now...not so sure the last decade.
If one thing stood out to me about Sark’s offense at AL was the one on one match ups. Obviously, he had 5* WRs falling out of every orifice, but every time I looked up, there was a WR one on one with a CB or S. And the 5* WR won that match up more often than not. Scheme.

Last edited:
The problem is the QBs and the WRs aren't on the same page. Apparently we can't catch a cold on the edge.

Reactions: EWNHorn
The problem is the QBs and the WRs aren't on the same page. Apparently we can't catch a cold on the edge.

Clob....not to be all up in your business or anything (says the guy about to butt in...) but I keep seeing where former players are at every scrimmage and I keep hoping that we will, anytime, get one of those great inside reports that only you can provide....please, our thirsty lips need to drink at the fountain of knowledge...

Clob....not to be all up in your business or anything (says the guy about to butt in...) but I keep seeing where former players are at every scrimmage and I keep hoping that we will, anytime, get one of those great inside reports that only you can provide....please, our thirsty lips need to drink at the fountain of knowledge...

Sark needs to keep Herman's former woke players away from practice and the current players. We don't need that kind of cancer infecting this team.

ADVERTISEMENT