ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Herman from the rear view mirror thus far.

westx

Dec 6, 2009
What has gone right:

Alignment: I was pretty juiced about the whole alignment philosophy and the the changes that came with it when Herman was hired. I know Herman had to work pretty hard to transform the mental aspect of everything-had to be done. We got some pretty awesome facility enhancements which are continuing as we speak. My understanding is also some changes with the lifers or non-committed dead weight working in the administrative athletic offices. I can't remember where I read something alluding to this or whether it was written out of context. Regardless, I like the idea of it whether it is true or not.

CDC: I really like him, but there hasn't been any decision he has made or failed to make that allows us to fully evaluate him. I think it was the right call to give Shaka this year. This is pretty much my "make or break" year in Shaka's tenure here. Same thing with Herman. Next year is the "make or break" year.

What has gone wrong:

I had thought Herman was an offensive guru when hired. Hasn't turned out that way.

I thought we were going to do a lot of RPO designs. We have a great QB for which to design those plays around. How many 3n1/4n1 could we not get? Why didn't we do an RPO instead of the failed run plays where our OL couldn't do their part. An RPO would have at least given us a chance with Sam dumping the pass or running it himself.

Texas is not a consistent downfield threat. Sam is inaccurate enough to where defenses play more aggressive in the box. This didn't help our 3n1/4n1 misses throughout the year.

We have an average QB coach at best. Sam is a good QB that has the attitude to try and get better. I just don't think it is being coached to him. Last night I watched Herbert from Oregon pump fake and stall a defensive back while the receiver made the double move up the field-no surprise it worked beautifully. Couldn't find a video of it. So no pump fake or looking off receivers for us. I guess our philosophy is to do it physically and not use everything at our disposal.

Failure to recruit elite defensive linemen. There must not be a commitment to it. I am positive Herman and Co try to recruit all quality players, but why do Clemson/Bama always have dominant DL? Is the difference commitment. Frustrating.

Most or all successful teams use the tight end as weapon. The tight end slant is a high percentage play in short yardage situations. Nope, not for us.

Going Forward:

1) Start with doing whatever it takes in getting the real horses on the DL
2) Get a real offensive coordinator
3) I don't care what order the other things are fixed (as long as #1 and #2 are dealt with).

1. A new defensive coordinator will help. Appears that a lot of DL recruits didn’t want to play for Orlando
2. That’s about to happen

Question I asked in another post. How did UT miss out on the DLine that Baylor has? Best OU faced all year by far.

Reactions: DrinkToIt
I had never heard of DL recruits not wanting to play for Orlando either.

There was speculation that Some DL recruits didn’t want to be used to primarily eat up blocks which is what Orlando’s scheme had the reputation of being. Who knows if true.

Reactions: westx
Westx is spot on. We need to change the false narrative, "We are Texas" to "We need to be Texas." We have been mostly all talk and no do in the Athletic Department in Austin. No reason that we should have won one conference championship in ten years and OU has won five in a row and it will be six this time next year if we don't get completely off our butts and stop this BS. I am not completely satisfied with Herman but he has almost done one important thing, he has stopped the blowout losses that were common place under CS. Baylor dominated us in the 24-10 loss. TCU made us look bad in the 10 point loss to them. But there have been no 30-40 point ass kickings like we saw under CS and even Mack to OU when we had to endure 63-14, 55-17, and 65-21. I am totally ready for a new culture like we saw under DKR. Major changes must take place for us to regain the prominence we once enjoyed. What the h**l are we waiting on?

Westx is spot on. We need to change the false narrative, "We are Texas" to "We need to be Texas." We have been mostly all talk and no do in the Athletic Department in Austin. No reason that we should have won one conference championship in ten years and OU has won five in a row and it will be six this time next year if we don't get completely off our butts and stop this BS. I am not completely satisfied with Herman but he has almost done one important thing, he has stopped the blowout losses that were common place under CS. Baylor dominated us in the 24-10 loss. TCU made us look bad in the 10 point loss to them. But there have been no 30-40 point ass kickings like we saw under CS and even Mack to OU when we had to endure 63-14, 55-17, and 65-21. I am totally ready for a new culture like we saw under DKR. Major changes must take place for us to regain the prominence we once enjoyed. What the h**l are we waiting on?
The person to change the culture of your team is already on campus and employed by the University. I implore Texas to stop putting off the inevitable and pull the trigger on the minister of culture as the next head coach of THE University of Texas. Hire unproven Ash as DC and 1 year wonder Brady as OC.

What has gone right:

Alignment: I was pretty juiced about the whole alignment philosophy and the the changes that came with it when Herman was hired. I know Herman had to work pretty hard to transform the mental aspect of everything-had to be done. We got some pretty awesome facility enhancements which are continuing as we speak. My understanding is also some changes with the lifers or non-committed dead weight working in the administrative athletic offices. I can't remember where I read something alluding to this or whether it was written out of context. Regardless, I like the idea of it whether it is true or not.

CDC: I really like him, but there hasn't been any decision he has made or failed to make that allows us to fully evaluate him. I think it was the right call to give Shaka this year. This is pretty much my "make or break" year in Shaka's tenure here. Same thing with Herman. Next year is the "make or break" year.

What has gone wrong:

I had thought Herman was an offensive guru when hired. Hasn't turned out that way.

I thought we were going to do a lot of RPO designs. We have a great QB for which to design those plays around. How many 3n1/4n1 could we not get? Why didn't we do an RPO instead of the failed run plays where our OL couldn't do their part. An RPO would have at least given us a chance with Sam dumping the pass or running it himself.

Texas is not a consistent downfield threat. Sam is inaccurate enough to where defenses play more aggressive in the box. This didn't help our 3n1/4n1 misses throughout the year.

We have an average QB coach at best. Sam is a good QB that has the attitude to try and get better. I just don't think it is being coached to him. Last night I watched Herbert from Oregon pump fake and stall a defensive back while the receiver made the double move up the field-no surprise it worked beautifully. Couldn't find a video of it. So no pump fake or looking off receivers for us. I guess our philosophy is to do it physically and not use everything at our disposal.

Failure to recruit elite defensive linemen. There must not be a commitment to it. I am positive Herman and Co try to recruit all quality players, but why do Clemson/Bama always have dominant DL? Is the difference commitment. Frustrating.

Most or all successful teams use the tight end as weapon. The tight end slant is a high percentage play in short yardage situations. Nope, not for us.

Going Forward:

1) Start with doing whatever it takes in getting the real horses on the DL
2) Get a real offensive coordinator
3) I don't care what order the other things are fixed (as long as #1 and #2 are dealt with).
The key to what you said can be summed up in one sentence and it is the core element that bothered me as I watched the games this year. It is as you said "I guess our philosophy is to do it physically and not use everything at our disposal." I do not understand not using everything at our disposal as long as everything is employed in the right way and at the right time. Those plays are the plays that take a little of the breath away from an opponent. The physical element of competition is critical but the real battle is the mental one and it just seemed that in several of the games we were not consciously on the field at critical moments. There is no excuse for that.

The key to what you said can be summed up in one sentence and it is the core element that bothered me as I watched the games this year. It is as you said "I guess our philosophy is to do it physically and not use everything at our disposal." I do not understand not using everything at our disposal as long as everything is employed in the right way and at the right time. Those plays are the plays that take a little of the breath away from an opponent. The physical element of competition is critical but the real battle is the mental one and it just seemed that in several of the games we were not consciously on the field at critical moments. There is no excuse for that.
Our coaches are not consistently calling smart offensive & defensive plays. If we can get that corrected, coupled with player execution, we should beat Utah. If not, it could get real ugly.

Reactions: Seminole1981
The person to change the culture of your team is already on campus and employed by the University. I implore Texas to stop putting off the inevitable and pull the trigger on the minister of culture as the next head coach of THE University of Texas. Hire unproven Ash as DC and 1 year wonder Brady as OC.
Dude. There's funny quips and then there's the sheer ridiculous. You passed sheer ridiculous on the highway about 9 miles back with that one.

Dude. There's funny quips and then there's the sheer ridiculous. You passed sheer ridiculous on the highway about 9 miles back with that one.

Ash is unproven, but Grinch was the greatest DC in the history of the Pac 12. Ash didn't have anything to do with tOSU defense or their national title, but Grinch was the greatest DC ever at tOSU and the reason they won a natty...oh wait.

clob, he's gone full troll...lol

Ash is unproven, but Grinch was the greatest DC in the history of the Pac 12. Ash didn't have anything to do with tOSU defense or their national title, but Grinch was the greatest DC ever at tOSU and the reason they won a natty...oh wait.

clob, he's gone full troll...lol
Uh, I’ve posted several times we’re still in a wait and see approach with Grinch but the fact he’s familiar with the spread offense obviously caught Riley’s attention. Has nothing to do with his Ohio State connection that’s where your mental disconnect is coming into this.

If Herman were to hire Ash it would simply be due to his Ohio State connection not due to anything proven on his resume to date, he was a co-dc carrying a notebook. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? You should want the best DC you can get a hold of imo. Not some analyst that nobody is trying to outbid you for.

Uh, I’ve posted several times we’re still in a wait and see approach with Grinch but the fact he’s familiar with the spread offense obviously caught Riley’s attention. Has nothing to do with his Ohio State connection that’s where you’re mental disconnect is coming from. If Herman were to hire Ash it would simply be due to his Ohio State connection not due to anything proven on his resume to date. Why is that so hard for you to comprehend? You should want the best DC you can get a hold of imo.

I asked you who is better and didn't get a response.

The narrative that Texas can just money whip anyone is false. Chris Ash has a very good resume, not great, and obviously the respect of Urban Meyer. Chris Ash is about as good a candidate as Texas can seriously think about hiring.

You have discredited Ash because his abysmal year this year at Rutgers and because he wasn't a DC in the Pac 12. Meanwhile, you have given WAY too much credit to Grinch for his time at Wazzu.

That is what I have issue with. You're not being objective.

I asked you who is better and didn't get a response.

The narrative that Texas can just money whip anyone is false. Chris Ash has a very good resume, not great, and obviously the respect of Urban Meyer. Chris Ash is about as good a candidate as Texas can seriously think about hiring.

You have discredited Ash because his abysmal year this year at Rutgers and because he wasn't a DC in the Pac 12. Meanwhile, you have given WAY too much credit to Grinch for his time at Wazzu.

That is what I have issue with. You're not being objective.
Well I think Grinch is showing results but I see nothing that would lead me to believe that Ash is anything to speak of? When you lose like he has it changes a person, look at Mike Stoops. Look money talks and Texas has plenty of it. I’m simply expressing my opinion of why or why not Texas should hire Ash. In the end it really doesn’t matter to me I just think at this point Texas can do better.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
Well I think Grinch is showing results but I see nothing that would lead me to believe that Ash is anything to speak of? When you lose like he has it changes a person, look at Mike Stoops. Look money talks and Texas has plenty of it. I’m simply expressing my opinion of why or why not Texas should hire Ash. In the end it really doesn’t matter to me I just think at this point Texas can do better.

This I can understand your point. Maybe his confidence is shook, but it still just speculation. Ash may suck, but his resume as a DC is very good.

I'm ready for the hiring to be done so there is no more hypothetical arguing..........
The fact that it’s taking a while may be indicative it’s not Ash? If it was Ash it seems it would only be prudent to go ahead and announce to show some form of stability to recruits. By waiting it seems like he’s waiting until after the bowl games to either interview or hire others. Just my .02

It will depend on who the refs are. Their DBs pull drag hold like I’ve never seen. Murray is playing good tho.

Bell, after LSU shreds 0U's defense in the CFP, then what are you going to say about Grinch? 0U isn't going to stop LSU. If you think that they are, you're in for a rude awakening.
What am I going to say about Grinch? Probably the same thing I’ve said all year, we’re not a good defense but we’re certainly improved. Grinch has statistically improved our defense using the same players that Mike Stoops had us ranked at 100+ with. That’s a sign of good coaching. He’s recruiting the type of players he prefers and I expect to continue to see improvements on that side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT