ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU to the SEC?

I don't think the contract is expiring it is either $20m for 15 years or $15m for 20 years. I think the latter.
Yeah it’s 2031 I believe, but with ESPN owning both the Longhorn network and the SEC network seems like a deal could be made that works for everyone.

Also, this seems like it would be a deal that is only glimpsed or heard as very quiet rumors until its DONE and signed in blood. That way if it falls thru both sides save face while the other side pretends it was their idea to keep things the same. It being leaked so fully seems like a negotiating tactic. Who knows, maybe not and in 2025 we'll be playing again.
🏈

Reactions: Belldozer1
The question that needs to be answered is the Grant or Rights that expires in 2023/24. Lets say we play in the SEC in 22/23. The big 12 would still have our tier 1 and tier 2 rights for 2 years and would get first choice on games. I would imagine the same would be true for OU. ESPN owns all of our tier 3 rights so it would be pretty easy to fold the LHN into the SECN and ESPN+.

My biggest question would be FOX Sports taking tier 1 and tier 2 games in 2022 and 2023. Deals can be made with ESPN, not sure about CBS. My question is will revenue from an SEC deal over time make up for lost revenue those two years.

Reactions: clob94
The question that needs to be answered is the Grant or Rights that expires in 2023/24. Lets say we play in the SEC in 22/23. The big 12 would still have our tier 1 and tier 2 rights for 2 years and would get first choice on games. I would imagine the same would be true for OU. ESPN owns all of our tier 3 rights so it would be pretty easy to fold the LHN into the SECN and ESPN+.

My biggest question would be FOX Sports taking tier 1 and tier 2 games in 2022 and 2023. Deals can be made with ESPN, not sure about CBS. My question is will revenue from an SEC deal over time make up for lost revenue those two years.
I suspect if this does happen it wouldn’t occur till 23-24 or 25-26

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
Curious if the Horn fans are hot for this too. To my surprise about 75% of the OU board in favor. Weird to me. So go from a reasonably competitive conference, which my team at done very well in for 25 years, to a swamp with alligators. OK, Saban will retire at some point. But while this does not look like a Husker disaster, why swap a good deal and lots of tradition for the SEC for some extra bucks? Don't get it.

In all fairness the reaction here should be worse. For years we have heard that the SEC is overrated. We have heard that Texas fans don't want any part of the SEC, academics suck, Texas doesn't need the SEC, etc. So, I would think this board here would be in meltdown mode. My guess is that most are jizzing on themselves to be a part of the SEC. As an Aggie I'm 50/50 on it. I don't desire to play Texas anymore, and I'm sure most of you guys feel the same day. This comes down to a vote doesn't it? I really don't know how it all works from here. The bottom line is that Texas and OU will chase this hard because the Big 12 is headed down quickly. There are 2 teams with talent that matches anything that Alabama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Florida and Georgia. It will be interesting.
Stupid argument Ketch makes about having an opportunity to get into Texas. They are already here. Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida already take kids from A&M and Texas.

Obviously nothing is imminent yet, but a&m fans think that they're on some higher level than Texas because they play in the $EC, which is false. a&m has done absolutely nothing of significance since joining the SEC. They haven't even come close to challenging for a conference title and they've been embarrassed numerous times on the field. The SEC used a&m to get into the Texas television market and to help to further establish a better recruiting presence in Texas, yet the a&m cult is oblivious to that. You are being used.

The SEC knew that a&m was no threat to their traditional powers by adding them to their conference. It was a safe addition for them. They accomplished what they wanted to do. If the SEC was truly content with their footprint into Texas with aggy, they wouldn't even consider adding Texas.

They know the prestige, credibility, brand, academics, national draw and financial impact that an institution like Texas would bring, which is why there is interest on the SEC's part. The brutal truth is, and a&m fans don't want to hear it, but once again if this happens you guys will be in your daddy's shadow again. Your worst nightmare could happen. Your ego won't allow you to admit it, but there is a lump in your throat over this right now.

Hook'em!

Obviously nothing is imminent yet, but a&m fans think that they're on some higher level than Texas because they play in the $EC, which is false. a&m has done absolutely nothing of significance since joining the SEC. They haven't even come close to challenging for a conference title and they've been embarrassed numerous times on the field. The SEC used a&m to get into the Texas television market and to help to further establish a better recruiting presence in Texas, yet the a&m cult is oblivious to that. You are being used.

The SEC knew that a&m was no threat to their traditional powers by adding them to their conference. It was a safe addition for them. They accomplished what they wanted to do. If the SEC was truly content with their footprint into Texas with aggy, they wouldn't even consider adding Texas.

They know the prestige, credibility, brand, academics, national draw and financial impact that an institution like Texas would bring, which is why there is interest on the SEC's part. The brutal truth is, and a&m fans don't want to hear it, but once again if this happens you guys will be in your daddy's shadow again. Your worst nightmare could happen. Your ego won't allow you to admit it, but there is a lump in your throat over this right now.

Hook'em!
Good god man, I like fighting little bro too but you have a way of brutally rubbing their face in it.

I love it! 😆

Aggy trying to scuttle the deal by going public but they are apparently standing alone on this deal. This will feel weird at first but will fall into place. Where do the remaining teams land? One school is going to be left out. Yes, Baylor I am looking at you.

Can you imagine the hate when Texas and OU resume whipping aggy yearly? It's going to be epic.

If this does happen, the dominoes will fall. I don’t think Baylor, Ok St, TCU would want to be in league with the UTSA’s of the world. And, this would give WVU the out to get into a more geographically-appropriate league.

I don’t think this deal will happen but I guess we’ll see
I'm with you, very skeptical. Probably a bluff to see what more we can get out of FOX.

But with college football going basically professional I can see why UT and OU would want to be in SEC to not fall behind anymore. There is no penalty for paying now so why not jump in with both feet in the highest paying conference.

I can see why the Horns and zero u would be for this; it gives them the card they need. They could now offer recruits the ability to play for the schools they love (nearer to home) and still play in the premier conference. It also puts them in a much more viable, financially secure league.

But why would the sec support this? The sec has already demonstrated an ability to recruit in Texas (particularly lsu in Houston and east Texas, and bama well, wherever they want in Texas). So it appears the sec would be lessening their recruiting position in Texas while strengthening the already dominant programs they would be welcoming.

I don't get it.

I can see why the Horns and zero u would be for this; it gives them the card they need. They could now offer recruits the ability to play for the schools they love (nearer to home) and still play in the premier conference. It also puts them in a much more viable, financially secure league.

But why would the sec support this? The sec has already demonstrated an ability to recruit in Texas (particularly lsu in Houston and east Texas, and bama well, wherever they want in Texas). So it appears the sec would be lessening their recruiting position in Texas while strengthening the already dominant programs they would be welcoming.

I don't get it.
I believe Texas/OU is more of an attractive business proposition. Aggy was about penetrating Texas for recruiting.

Oklahoma legislature tied the two state schools at the hip forever. This isn't happening unless the Oklahoma congress changes that.

And btw-- the majority of law makers here in Texas have ties to Baylor. Texas is a state school subject to state legislation. And Baylor law makers aren't going to let their school get the short end of the stick.

congratulations texas, every one that comes into contact with your school ends up hating you, filled with greed and ruins everything you touch

• Haha
Reactions: DrinkToIt
Whatever happens 1 thing is clear… the big 12 is now dead so weather it’s the SEC or somewhere else Texas and OU will be elsewhere

Reactions: 88MCSS2NV
Oklahoma legislature tied the two state schools at the hip forever. This isn't happening unless the Oklahoma congress changes that.

And btw-- the majority of law makers here in Texas have ties to Baylor. Texas is a state school subject to state legislation. And Baylor law makers aren't going to let their school get the short end of the stick.
When the Baylor Folks did that during the first conference shuffle the program had some momentum… not sure they have that same momentum

Really? Instead of making generalizations, provide some details and proof of what you're talking about.
sure, name one school that has ever been in a conference with them that likes them? and if you can you disprove my point

Hook'em!
And they say Texas A&M fans are delusional? Holy **** dude.

Sounds like a done deal?
There is the ACC Pact that A&M might appeal to in order to block the deal. Kentucky, Georgia, Florida and South Carolina have an informal agreement to unite against any admission of Louisville, Georgia Tech, Florida State or Clemson to the SEC.

sure, name one school that has ever been in a conference with them that likes them? and if you can you disprove my point

Texas does drive the bus and is the lead dog. Contrary to what most people believe, a&m didn't leave the Big 12 because of the LHN. When you're a blueblood like a Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, USC, OU, etc., not everyone is going to like you, and if they don't who cares? Bigtime college athletics isn't about having other schools "like you".

ADVERTISEMENT