Texas and OU to the SEC?

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Your assumption is that all of the other teams would have a place to go. Why would K-State agree to give up 76 million dollars to go to a Group of 5 conference for 6 million dollars? K-State and others will have financial stability for 2 years if they remain in the Big XII. The TV deal last through 23-24 and the conference will retain our media rights until the 2025 basketball season. After that who knows what will happen but I guarantee the other conference members aren't going to lose out on that kind of money without putting up a substantial fight.
Your missing my point. Sure k state wouldn’t want to miss out on 76 million BUT

if Texas and OU go to the SEC
Baylor, TCU, Tech and Ok state go to the pac 16
Iowa state and KU go to the big 10

you’ve got k state and WVU and whatever other 6 schools they can cobble together(if they can)

then if your Texas and OU you go to Fox and say “hey look if you want to pay 76 million to k state, WVU and a bunch of misfits go ahead(they won’t want to do that)

RoboCocks21

Sep 25, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I’ve heard Oxford is a pretty cool place to watch a game. All the places you listed are better than Manhattan, Lawerence, and Ames
I have drove through Mississippi to get to Orange Beach, Alabama and the scenery reminded me of East Texas with lots of pine trees and I have known two people to go to Ole Miss and heard the games can get electric there.

speedstrength

Mar 5, 2008

you’ve got k state and WVU and whatever other 6 schools they can cobble together(if they can)

then if your Texas and OU you go to Fox and say “hey look if you want to pay 76 million to k state, WVU and a bunch of misfits go ahead(they won’t want to do that)

Texas and OU are most likely gone. The question is when and how much it will cost.

I don't know if there is anyone willing to take the other 8 schools. Its all massive speculation. The B1G might take Kansas but do you think the media partners would renegotiate the contract for Iowa State? Are we really confident that the PAC schools would take OK state?

The thing we do know is that the media deal is in place until 2024. Texas and OU gave the Big XII their tier 1 and 2 media rights until 2025. Baylor, TCU, Tech, and OK State would make 10 million more if they stayed in the Big XII until then end of the media deal.

After 2024 things would be very different. The Big XII would have the Texas and OU media rights for one year which may bump up the deal a bit but they won't be able to command anywhere near 38 million a year. Most likely more than the group of 5 teams depending on who stays and who they can get to come on board.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Texas and OU are most likely gone. The question is when and how much it will cost.

I don't know if there is anyone willing to take the other 8 schools. Its all massive speculation. The B1G might take Kansas but do you think the media partners would renegotiate the contract for Iowa State? Are we really confident that the PAC schools would take OK state?

The thing we do know is that the media deal is in place until 2024. Texas and OU gave the Big XII their tier 1 and 2 media rights until 2025. Baylor, TCU, Tech, and OK State would make 10 million more if they stayed in the Big XII until then end of the media deal.

After 2024 things would be very different. The Big XII would have the Texas and OU media rights for one year which may bump up the deal a bit but they won't be able to command anywhere near 38 million a year. Most likely more than the group of 5 teams depending on who stays and who they can get to come on boar
That’s the key though. Some of the others will get taken (even if they aren’t really wanted) because once the SEC gets to 16. The pac 12 won’t stay at 12. They’ll have to make a move. Probably the same with big 10

Reactions: brushycreekhorn

speedstrength

Mar 5, 2008
That’s the key though. Some of the others will get taken (even if they aren’t really wanted) because once the SEC gets to 16. The pac 12 won’t stay at 12. They’ll have to make a move. Probably the same with big 10
Why does the Big 10 have to make a move? They paid out 54 million per team and a lot of that is due to their BTN deal. They get more per cable subscriber in markets where they have member schools. That was the big reason for adding Rutgers and Maryland. That got them Baltimore, DC, and New York. Do you think Iowa State or Kansas would bring enough to get them 108 million more per year?

Does Baylor, Tech, TCU, and OK State bring enough value to the PAC-12 to accept those 4 schools? Maybe they can get some more out of the Dallas media market but is a a Utah - TCU game or a Washington State - Baylor game going to draw enough eyeballs to generate an extra 140 million a year? It might be worth taking 2 of the the 4 teams. I'm thinking there are going to be some teams getting the UCONN treatment.

Drtxhorn

Feb 13, 2016
San Antonio

They don't have a choice. They're contractually bound to pay them. If all those other schools leave they have to pay their contractual obligations as well. There's going to be a lot of posturing and negotiating over the next few months. This is all just getting started. But the Big 12 still has a chance to be viable given the financial leverage that may be available to them.

Reactions: Belldozer1

JDCPAgolferHorn

Aug 30, 2020
I’ve heard Oxford is a pretty cool place to watch a game. All the places you listed are better than Manhattan, Lawerence, and Ames
Very true. One thing most of the SEC locales have is a cool game day experience and tradition. And a ravenous fan base unlike anything we’ve seen on a week to week basis.

Oxford > Manhattan, Lawrence or Ames for a game day experience/atmosphere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belldozer1

JDCPAgolferHorn

Aug 30, 2020
Why does the Big 10 have to make a move? They paid out 54 million per team and a lot of that is due to their BTN deal. They get more per cable subscriber in markets where they have member schools. That was the big reason for adding Rutgers and Maryland. That got them Baltimore, DC, and New York. Do you think Iowa State or Kansas would bring enough to get them 108 million more per year?

Does Baylor, Tech, TCU, and OK State bring enough value to the PAC-12 to accept those 4 schools? Maybe they can get some more out of the Dallas media market but is a a Utah - TCU game or a Washington State - Baylor game going to draw enough eyeballs to generate an extra 140 million a year? It might be worth taking 2 of the the 4 teams. I'm thinking there are going to be some teams getting the UCONN treatment.
Baylor, Tech, TCU and Ok St are a square peg in the PAC 12 round hole. I don’t see a fit in any way.
The PAC 12 administration is extremely liberal and I just don’t see a fit with those 4 schools. You get another Covid-like event and the legacy PAC schools shutdown while these 4 schools are voting to play.
Football is an afterthought for the PAC 12 admin -they perceive themselves as the Harvard of the west coast - while it’s in the Ok St’s blood.
There may be short term lust in bringing these 4 schools to the PAC 12 but it won’t turn into long term love.

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
They don't have a choice. They're contractually bound to pay them. If all those other schools leave they have to pay their contractual obligations as well. There's going to be a lot of posturing and negotiating over the next few months. This is all just getting started. But the Big 12 still has a chance to be viable given the financial leverage that may be available to them.
Again they only are contractually bound if the contract is enforced. If the other 8 schools stick together then yes they are contractually bound. If everyone starts looking out for themselves and moves on. Not sure how it gets enforced. Fox isn’t going to want to pay a truck load for k state, WVU and whatever they cobble together.

JoeAg

Aug 17, 2014
Bottom line, your game day atmosphere will improve dramatically almost everywhere in this conference, with the exception of maybe Vanderbilt. You will see this early and often.

Lampasas

Nov 24, 2019

Not as outlandish as one might think. I expect something like this (the creation of 1 super conference) to happen fairly soon. I would expect though that there would be come culling of current lesser performing members first. This league of 20 or so schools could control virtually all the tv/media dollars for collegiate/minor league football.

oldhorn2

Jan 2, 2013
I would like to hear from some of the Sooners on here....

It occurs to me that in the event this does come off that the biggest winner might be OU. I would think that while our recruiting would benefit, OU's might really,really go up. I would expect them to be even more successful in raiding Texas HS talent than they are now.Lests face it.....they win. Not only that but I think they are light years ahead of the SEC in ....uh...er..."innovative" recruiting techniques. If aggy thinks UT will hurt them recruiting wise wait until they watch OU in action.

hookem365

Jul 12, 2020
it might be best for the remaining 6 (assuming KU and ISU go to the B1G) to pick up SMU, Houston, UTSA, TXST, and maybe Tulsa (if WV also leaves) to form a more regional conference. Maybe Nebraska should join them too so that they can be relevant again!

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Apperently A&M is going to try to block this but it is expected to fail. I think the other SEC schools know if they don’t take Texas and OU the ACC will, and that will create a formidable football conference in its own right

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014

It occurs to me that in the event this does come off that the biggest winner might be OU. I would think that while our recruiting would benefit, OU's might really,really go up. I would expect them to be even more successful in raiding Texas HS talent than they are now.Lests face it.....they win. Not only that but I think they are light years ahead of the SEC in ....uh...er..."innovative" recruiting techniques. If aggy thinks UT will hurt them recruiting wise wait until they watch OU in action.
I’ll be honest I don’t really care. I don’t really like change and I’ve spent the better part of a decade despising all things SEC especially after a couple recent losses to Georgia, LSU. The upper half of the SEC is better as a whole than the Big 12 but the lower half of each conference are pretty similar. Obviously Bama is king of that conference and rightfully so but anyone thinking OU and Texas couldn’t come in and give everyone else in that conference a run for their money from the get go is pretty biased. It would take a couple of years to accumulate the talented depth Bama has acquired though.

If we do however, join the SEC SEC, I will make this solemn pledge to our future conference mates: I will always root against each and everyone of you on a weekly basis, I will never piggyback a win that any of my SEC SEC conference mates may get and act like my team got the win too, including bowl games and NC’s. It’s every team for themselves, none of that rah rah SEC SEC bullshit for me.

Last edited:

LAY THE WOODY

Jul 23, 2008

For about the last 20 years I've despised all things sec. I'll admit because of their success. I can't cry over the inevitable now though. It's a huge move for Sooners and you're right in recruiting picking up. Stars want to play for Riley and now stars want to play for Grinch. It's all coming to balance at OU and recruits are seeing this obviously. Why so many good athletes are willing to sit with the possibilty of never seeing the field at Alabama when they could showcase their skills immediately at another school is a head scratcher. This is a can of worms I never saw coming. But, Sooners need to pick their game up and what better way than to swim with the best each season. And I laughed at your "innovative" recruiting techniques, like most schools don't have their own "unique" methods. 😉

Oh, aggy is sweatin it right now for sure. 😁

Edit to add this.......

Last edited:

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
They left A&M out because they already knew what their opinion would be and didn't want that to pollute the discussions. Kind of like trying to decide which steakhouse you want to go eat at and your 5 year old whining that they want to go to McDonalds instead.
Or kind of like trying to decide which steakhouse to go to and my redneck father in law whining that he would rather go to the Little Red Barn in S.A. rather than Myron’s in NB or even me cooking a steak for him. He truly wouldn’t know a good steak if it slapped in the head.

Now back to the topic: on Texags some fans are wanting out of the SEC. Seems they feel they’ve made great contributions to the SEC and feel they’re not appreciated enough.

Last edited:

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Or kind of like trying to decide which steakhouse to go to and my redneck father in law whining that he would rather go to the Little Red Barn in S.A. rather than Myron’s in NB or even me cooking a steak for him. He truly wouldn’t know a good steak if it slapped in the head.

Now back to the topic: on Texags some fans are wanting out of the SEC. Seems they feel they’ve made great contributions to the SEC and feel they’re not appreciated enough.
Great contributions? Lol

Crimson_Warrior

Aug 13, 2003

Hey oldhorn2, hope you've been well lately.

The consensus around here is that a move to the SEC won't necessarily help OU recruiting on the offensive side of the ball, but it will be a big boost to our defensive recruiting.

We think Grinch is the real deal, and are terrified we'll lose him in a year or two. We think if we stay in the big XII, it will be back to winning games 48-45 after he leaves, and so some guys say a move to the SEC is necessary to ensure our defensive recovery. I'm not sure about that last part, but I have to admit it seems pretty logical.

I also agree with you this is bad news for A&M, but I'm really looking forward to seeing UT renew their rivalry with the Aggies. The contempt by most of the UT fan base for A&M is so pure man. lol Its awesome. It's fun to watch your two teams play.

Last edited:

LonghornMM

Oct 23, 2002
Texas
The first post in the attached thread is a true gem. Folks should remember, win or lose, good or bad, we’re talking college football on a message board, people take some of this stuff way too seriously lol
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3211629

Wow. The guy that started the thread is a stereotypical delusional aggy. a&m is nothing but a place holder and a wannabe program, especially in the SEC. No one outside of B/CS takes them seriously. To hear them tell it, they made and/or make the SEC. They're lucky that they're even in that conference. SMDH at aggy.

LAY THE WOODY

Jul 23, 2008
Wow. The guy that started the thread is a stereotypical delusional aggy. a&m is nothing but a place holder and a wannabe program, especially in the SEC. No one outside of B/CS takes them seriously. To hear them tell it, they made and/or make the SEC. They're lucky that they're even in that conference. SMDH at aggy.
Aggy got used like a douche.

Reactions: LonghornMM

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
Apperently the AAC has made it known they want some of the left over big 12 schools. I think it’s still possible the entire conference falls apart and everyone goes their separate ways as soon as next year. There doesn’t even seem to be a peep about saving it really

LAY THE WOODY

Jul 23, 2008
Apperently the AAC has made it known they want some of the left over big 12 schools. I think it’s still possible the entire conference falls apart and everyone goes their separate ways as soon as next year. There doesn’t even seem to be a peep about saving it really
Where does Jayhawk go?

hookem365

Jul 12, 2020
Would it not be great if aggy left SEC because of this. They along with Nebraska, Baylor, TCU and TT can form a nice conference and have shrink seasions to help them heal from the inevitable anguish of being under Texas' shadow

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornMM

KChorn11

Oct 26, 2019
So does jayhawk basketball go independent? Like Notre Dame football? I just don't see jayhawk basketball going to the AAC.
That’s the only reason I think they might get in to the big 10. While basketball doesn’t drive these moves the big 10 is a strong Bball conference I could see the big 10 taking them just to get their basketball program.

22LR

Dec 1, 2015
... I'm really looking forward to seeing UT renew their rivalry with the Aggies. The contempt by most of the UT fan base for A&M is so pure man. lol Its awesome. It's fun to watch your two teams play.

Sooner fan here. While I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to this whole SEC thing, the story has paid one big dividend already. Watching the Aggie weeping and gnashing of teeth is priceless. I agree with your comment above.