ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU to the SEC?

The Big XII will retain media rights for all those schools until 2025 and will be able to offer 38 million a year to potential replacements until 2024. The Big XII will continue to exist in some form even if its something like conference USA with Baylor and K-State because they will be able to provide way more money for a few years based on the grant of rights. I wouldn't listen to pundits/talking heads on the timing of the move unless they understand and are addressing contractual issues.
Again there has to be a big 12 for any of that to be the case. The whole conference could be done by this time next month. You can go get one or two teams(I guess) 6 or 7 becomes a little harder

With the news of this expansion, I expected an influx of aggy over here. Board is hot because of the topic but I really expected more aggy chimin in. 😁

Again there has to be a big 12 for any of that to be the case. The whole conference could be done by this time next month. You can go get one or two teams(I guess) 6 or 7 becomes a little harder
Conference USA distribution was 2.8 million, Sunbelt was about 2.3. I am sure the Mountain West, AAC, and MAC are all similar in terms of payout. It would be very easy to poach teams from those conferences to keep the Big XII going.

Then other thing to consider is does it make sense for a conference to add a team. What do schools like TCU, Baylor, OK state, K-State and Iowa State offer conferences? Are TV partners going to be willing to offer big money for those schools once the NIL starts to really affect recruiting. Top talent will be concentrated even more to big name schools or schools like Miami that are in major media markets. The value of those teams is going to be significantly diminished in the near future. I doubt there are going to a lot of options for those schools. They are most likely going to look at brining in some of the more attractive group of 5 programs. Especially if they can offer 35 million a team for the 23 and 24 seasons. Shoot some of those schools would jump if they could get even half that.

I'm not a contract or media rights attorney but I did do a little reading and its not going to be a simple or cheap exit. At the very least I would expect to play 21 and 22 seasons in the Big XII

Conference USA distribution was 2.8 million, Sunbelt was about 2.3. I am sure the Mountain West, AAC, and MAC are all similar in terms of payout. It would be very easy to poach teams from those conferences to keep the Big XII going.

Then other thing to consider is does it make sense for a conference to add a team. What do schools like TCU, Baylor, OK state, K-State and Iowa State offer conferences? Are TV partners going to be willing to offer big money for those schools once the NIL starts to really affect recruiting. Top talent will be concentrated even more to big name schools or schools like Miami that are in major media markets. The value of those teams is going to be significantly diminished in the near future. I doubt there are going to a lot of options for those schools. They are most likely going to look at brining in some of the more attractive group of 5 programs. Especially if they can offer 35 million a team for the 23 and 24 seasons. Shoot some of those schools would jump if they could get even half that.

I'm not a contract or media rights attorney but I did do a little reading and its not going to be a simple or cheap exit. At the very least I would expect to play 21 and 22 seasons in the Big XII
Oh I think it’s likely we play this season and next season in the big 12, but I think we are off to the SEC after that and I do think there is a scnerio in which we go after this season. I mean if it becomes an every man for themselves kinda deal and 8 of the 10 teams get other arrangements made. Who is going to enforce the bylaws? Everyone can just agree to go their separate ways.

The TV networks don’t care because they are invested with all these conferences they’ll make money however it shakes out. Fox for example would probably prefer the big 12 desolve rather than give the 8 left over schools and 4 teams from the AAC or whatever 78 million dollars

again I think it’s likely we play this season and next season but I wouldn’t rule out it happening after this season and I wouldn’t rule out it being a lot cheaper than we’re expecting

Obviously nothing is imminent yet, but a&m fans think that they're on some higher level than Texas because they play in the $EC, which is false. a&m has done absolutely nothing of significance since joining the SEC. They haven't even come close to challenging for a conference title and they've been embarrassed numerous times on the field. The SEC used a&m to get into the Texas television market and to help to further establish a better recruiting presence in Texas, yet the a&m cult is oblivious to that. You are being used.

The SEC knew that a&m was no threat to their traditional powers by adding them to their conference. It was a safe addition for them. They accomplished what they wanted to do. If the SEC was truly content with their footprint into Texas with aggy, they wouldn't even consider adding Texas.

They know the prestige, credibility, brand, academics, national draw and financial impact that an institution like Texas would bring, which is why there is interest on the SEC's part. The brutal truth is, and a&m fans don't want to hear it, but once again if this happens you guys will be in your daddy's shadow again. Your worst nightmare could happen. Your ego won't allow you to admit it, but there is a lump in your throat over this right now.

Hook'em!
I’m not we see the same way here, but these two sides never will.
For 10 years we have hear from Texas fans led by you about how overrated the SEC is. Texas A&M has what you want and are now chasing. For years we have said what a dumpster fire the Big 12 was and has been sliding ever since we left. It was A&M fighting for a playoff spot last year while Texas was struggling in a washed down league. Now Texas wants to follow what A&M did because they saw the money and figured out the SEC has what they want.
as a Texas fan I would be pumped. I’ve sat here and said Texas has needed to go elsewhere for years and you guys have said things are just fine. Well, they weren’t. A&M is doing alright on its own. They have built something that you guys are now chasing. Yes we haven’t won a conference championship here. Who has with Alabama playing. You were swept by LSU and you will see sooner than later what it means to play someone each weak who has the talent you do. Texas has struggled against far lesser talent. You don’t have just one big game now. You have 6-7 and then a couple more that can bite you in the ass.
The road trips are amazing. Each week is a hell of a lot of fun. The A&M and Texas game will be electric again. You guys should be in the SEC. you will love it and you will do well once you get the players that fit that league. You will make far more money than you ever imagined you could. You will have to make plans well in advance because football will mean something each week and not have byes against 8 other teams in the league. It should be a lot of fun and this board will liven the hell ip as well! Let’s embrace the hate once again.

it is a done ****ing deal. and honestly its the best spot for us to land. I cant stand the thought of playing on the west coast at pullman at an 11pm central start time or playing in ann arbor or happy valley in late november.
Well playing in Starkville, MS is nothing to get excited about 😂

Oxford MS? I don't know
Lexington KY? Don't know much about it.
And I don't want to go back to Fayetteville.
Auburn AL is supposed to be flatter than a can of day old beer.

Well playing in Starkville, MS is nothing to get excited about 😂

Oxford MS? I don't know
Lexington KY? Don't know much about it.
And I don't want to go back to Fayetteville.
Auburn AL is supposed to be flatter than a can of day old beer.
I’ve heard Oxford is a pretty cool place to watch a game. All the places you listed are better than Manhattan, Lawerence, and Ames

Reactions: Lampasas
Oh I think it’s likely we play this season and next season in the big 12, but I think we are off to the SEC after that and I do think there is a scnerio in which we go after this season. I mean if it becomes an every man for themselves kinda deal and 8 of the 10 teams get other arrangements made. Who is going to enforce the bylaws? Everyone can just agree to go their separate ways.

The TV networks don’t care because they are invested with all these conferences they’ll make money however it shakes out. Fox for example would probably prefer the big 12 desolve rather than give the 8 left over schools and 4 teams from the AAC or whatever 78 million dollars

again I think it’s likely we play this season and next season but I wouldn’t rule out it happening after this season and I wouldn’t rule out it being a lot cheaper than we’re expecting

Your assumption is that all of the other teams would have a place to go. Why would K-State agree to give up 76 million dollars to go to a Group of 5 conference for 6 million dollars? K-State and others will have financial stability for 2 years if they remain in the Big XII. The TV deal last through 23-24 and the conference will retain our media rights until the 2025 basketball season. After that who knows what will happen but I guarantee the other conference members aren't going to lose out on that kind of money without putting up a substantial fight.

I’ve sat here and said Texas has needed to go elsewhere for years and you guys have said things are just fine.

Some good points, but this part is just false.

Many of us have said this league is doomed garbage for years. Even during the salad days of the Big 12, I said on the premium board that the conference was a doomed demographic weakling that would not survive the explosive growth of money in the sport. Most posters there thought the claim completely outlandish, but it should have been completely obvious after the vivisection of the Big East.

I’ve said here that the SEC would be the best long-term landing spot for Texas, and a few others have agreed (@2300 Nueces, for one). I just thought the snobbery from the academic side would provide too much resistance for it to ever happen. Figured they would ensure we wound up in the Big Ten West, traveling to a bunch of faraway towns to play deadly boring football among people who think ketchup is spicy.

Last edited:
Your assumption is that all of the other teams would have a place to go. Why would K-State agree to give up 76 million dollars to go to a Group of 5 conference for 6 million dollars? K-State and others will have financial stability for 2 years if they remain in the Big XII. The TV deal last through 23-24 and the conference will retain our media rights until the 2025 basketball season. After that who knows what will happen but I guarantee the other conference members aren't going to lose out on that kind of money without putting up a substantial fight.
Your missing my point. Sure k state wouldn’t want to miss out on 76 million BUT

if Texas and OU go to the SEC
Baylor, TCU, Tech and Ok state go to the pac 16
Iowa state and KU go to the big 10

you’ve got k state and WVU and whatever other 6 schools they can cobble together(if they can)

then if your Texas and OU you go to Fox and say “hey look if you want to pay 76 million to k state, WVU and a bunch of misfits go ahead(they won’t want to do that)

I’ve heard Oxford is a pretty cool place to watch a game. All the places you listed are better than Manhattan, Lawerence, and Ames
I have drove through Mississippi to get to Orange Beach, Alabama and the scenery reminded me of East Texas with lots of pine trees and I have known two people to go to Ole Miss and heard the games can get electric there.

you’ve got k state and WVU and whatever other 6 schools they can cobble together(if they can)

then if your Texas and OU you go to Fox and say “hey look if you want to pay 76 million to k state, WVU and a bunch of misfits go ahead(they won’t want to do that)

Texas and OU are most likely gone. The question is when and how much it will cost.

I don't know if there is anyone willing to take the other 8 schools. Its all massive speculation. The B1G might take Kansas but do you think the media partners would renegotiate the contract for Iowa State? Are we really confident that the PAC schools would take OK state?

The thing we do know is that the media deal is in place until 2024. Texas and OU gave the Big XII their tier 1 and 2 media rights until 2025. Baylor, TCU, Tech, and OK State would make 10 million more if they stayed in the Big XII until then end of the media deal.

After 2024 things would be very different. The Big XII would have the Texas and OU media rights for one year which may bump up the deal a bit but they won't be able to command anywhere near 38 million a year. Most likely more than the group of 5 teams depending on who stays and who they can get to come on board.

Texas and OU are most likely gone. The question is when and how much it will cost.

I don't know if there is anyone willing to take the other 8 schools. Its all massive speculation. The B1G might take Kansas but do you think the media partners would renegotiate the contract for Iowa State? Are we really confident that the PAC schools would take OK state?

The thing we do know is that the media deal is in place until 2024. Texas and OU gave the Big XII their tier 1 and 2 media rights until 2025. Baylor, TCU, Tech, and OK State would make 10 million more if they stayed in the Big XII until then end of the media deal.

After 2024 things would be very different. The Big XII would have the Texas and OU media rights for one year which may bump up the deal a bit but they won't be able to command anywhere near 38 million a year. Most likely more than the group of 5 teams depending on who stays and who they can get to come on boar
That’s the key though. Some of the others will get taken (even if they aren’t really wanted) because once the SEC gets to 16. The pac 12 won’t stay at 12. They’ll have to make a move. Probably the same with big 10

Reactions: brushycreekhorn
That’s the key though. Some of the others will get taken (even if they aren’t really wanted) because once the SEC gets to 16. The pac 12 won’t stay at 12. They’ll have to make a move. Probably the same with big 10
Why does the Big 10 have to make a move? They paid out 54 million per team and a lot of that is due to their BTN deal. They get more per cable subscriber in markets where they have member schools. That was the big reason for adding Rutgers and Maryland. That got them Baltimore, DC, and New York. Do you think Iowa State or Kansas would bring enough to get them 108 million more per year?

Does Baylor, Tech, TCU, and OK State bring enough value to the PAC-12 to accept those 4 schools? Maybe they can get some more out of the Dallas media market but is a a Utah - TCU game or a Washington State - Baylor game going to draw enough eyeballs to generate an extra 140 million a year? It might be worth taking 2 of the the 4 teams. I'm thinking there are going to be some teams getting the UCONN treatment.

They don't have a choice. They're contractually bound to pay them. If all those other schools leave they have to pay their contractual obligations as well. There's going to be a lot of posturing and negotiating over the next few months. This is all just getting started. But the Big 12 still has a chance to be viable given the financial leverage that may be available to them.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Very true. One thing most of the SEC locales have is a cool game day experience and tradition. And a ravenous fan base unlike anything we’ve seen on a week to week basis.

Oxford > Manhattan, Lawrence or Ames for a game day experience/atmosphere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belldozer1
Why does the Big 10 have to make a move? They paid out 54 million per team and a lot of that is due to their BTN deal. They get more per cable subscriber in markets where they have member schools. That was the big reason for adding Rutgers and Maryland. That got them Baltimore, DC, and New York. Do you think Iowa State or Kansas would bring enough to get them 108 million more per year?

Does Baylor, Tech, TCU, and OK State bring enough value to the PAC-12 to accept those 4 schools? Maybe they can get some more out of the Dallas media market but is a a Utah - TCU game or a Washington State - Baylor game going to draw enough eyeballs to generate an extra 140 million a year? It might be worth taking 2 of the the 4 teams. I'm thinking there are going to be some teams getting the UCONN treatment.
Baylor, Tech, TCU and Ok St are a square peg in the PAC 12 round hole. I don’t see a fit in any way.
The PAC 12 administration is extremely liberal and I just don’t see a fit with those 4 schools. You get another Covid-like event and the legacy PAC schools shutdown while these 4 schools are voting to play.
Football is an afterthought for the PAC 12 admin -they perceive themselves as the Harvard of the west coast - while it’s in the Ok St’s blood.
There may be short term lust in bringing these 4 schools to the PAC 12 but it won’t turn into long term love.

They don't have a choice. They're contractually bound to pay them. If all those other schools leave they have to pay their contractual obligations as well. There's going to be a lot of posturing and negotiating over the next few months. This is all just getting started. But the Big 12 still has a chance to be viable given the financial leverage that may be available to them.
Again they only are contractually bound if the contract is enforced. If the other 8 schools stick together then yes they are contractually bound. If everyone starts looking out for themselves and moves on. Not sure how it gets enforced. Fox isn’t going to want to pay a truck load for k state, WVU and whatever they cobble together.

Bottom line, your game day atmosphere will improve dramatically almost everywhere in this conference, with the exception of maybe Vanderbilt. You will see this early and often.

Not as outlandish as one might think. I expect something like this (the creation of 1 super conference) to happen fairly soon. I would expect though that there would be come culling of current lesser performing members first. This league of 20 or so schools could control virtually all the tv/media dollars for collegiate/minor league football.

I would like to hear from some of the Sooners on here....

It occurs to me that in the event this does come off that the biggest winner might be OU. I would think that while our recruiting would benefit, OU's might really,really go up. I would expect them to be even more successful in raiding Texas HS talent than they are now.Lests face it.....they win. Not only that but I think they are light years ahead of the SEC in ....uh...er..."innovative" recruiting techniques. If aggy thinks UT will hurt them recruiting wise wait until they watch OU in action.

it might be best for the remaining 6 (assuming KU and ISU go to the B1G) to pick up SMU, Houston, UTSA, TXST, and maybe Tulsa (if WV also leaves) to form a more regional conference. Maybe Nebraska should join them too so that they can be relevant again!

Apperently A&M is going to try to block this but it is expected to fail. I think the other SEC schools know if they don’t take Texas and OU the ACC will, and that will create a formidable football conference in its own right

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I would like to hear from some of the Sooners on here....

It occurs to me that in the event this does come off that the biggest winner might be OU. I would think that while our recruiting would benefit, OU's might really,really go up. I would expect them to be even more successful in raiding Texas HS talent than they are now.Lests face it.....they win. Not only that but I think they are light years ahead of the SEC in ....uh...er..."innovative" recruiting techniques. If aggy thinks UT will hurt them recruiting wise wait until they watch OU in action.
I’ll be honest I don’t really care. I don’t really like change and I’ve spent the better part of a decade despising all things SEC especially after a couple recent losses to Georgia, LSU. The upper half of the SEC is better as a whole than the Big 12 but the lower half of each conference are pretty similar. Obviously Bama is king of that conference and rightfully so but anyone thinking OU and Texas couldn’t come in and give everyone else in that conference a run for their money from the get go is pretty biased. It would take a couple of years to accumulate the talented depth Bama has acquired though.

If we do however, join the SEC SEC, I will make this solemn pledge to our future conference mates: I will always root against each and everyone of you on a weekly basis, I will never piggyback a win that any of my SEC SEC conference mates may get and act like my team got the win too, including bowl games and NC’s. It’s every team for themselves, none of that rah rah SEC SEC bullshit for me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT