ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU to the SEC?

Every day is a good day my man. But now, back to the subject at hand, how long's it been since horn ruled a conference and better yet despite a productive season or two by horn, who has owned the b12 for the past 20 years? šŸ˜
SWC 1969-1982.... I was born during that stretch. It's been a long time. Texas is due. It may take a few years but I think we are about to bend the trend upward soon.

SWC 1969-1982.... I was born during that stretch. It's been a long time. Texas is due. It may take a few years but I think we are about to bend the trend upward soon.
Lot's of politics creating turmoil up there in Austin these days. Dang almighty, I miss Mack.

Lot's of politics creating turmoil up there in Austin these days. Dang almighty, I miss Mack.
We did too. Couldn't blame him when he left. Glad he got that NC. Even more glad he came back. How about y'all put in a good word for us down there with Sanky, we want in too.

Chain reaction is about to happen. 4 super conferencea of 16 and with the NIL bomb dropping, conferences will look to the school's alumni base demographics. If you've got a crap ton of millionaires and some billionaire alum that are willimg to spend money on NIL for kids, that makes your school more desirable. But it's the school's that will be losing out.

Why?

Simple.

If I'm say--- Red McCombs-- and I'm used to giving 10 million a year to the University, but I can go "buy" myself some 5 star recruits that will do car dealership commercials, I'm going to spend a couple million on this kids. That money is going to come out of the money I'd normally give to the university.

So if Texas is used to getting 10 mil a year from Red, but now Red is spending 3 million on a 5 star QB, a 5 star RB and a 5 star LB-- then I've got 7 million left that goes to the school.

This won't make the schools happy UNLESS those kids translate to wins on the field which translates to playoff appearances, which translates to millions more in revenue to offset Red giving them 3 million less.

Y'all starting to see how this works now?

Dook, UNC package next plz.
Theyā€™re not going anywhere for a decade or more.
To land ND as a partial member the ACC did a grant of rights until 2036 plus a $50 million early exit fee. Forfeiting TV revenue until 2036 is about a half billion fee presently.

Hallelujah! First step has been taken! This morning, Texas and OU officially said see ya to the Big 12.

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/26/...xas-at-austin-and-the-university-of-oklahoma/

"The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Oklahoma notified the Big 12 Athletic Conference today that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following expiration in 2025. Providing notice to the Big 12 at this point is important in advance of the expiration of the conferenceā€™s current media rights agreement. The universities intend to honor their existing grant of rights agreements. However, both universities will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future."

Reactions: freeper
Hallelujah! First step has been taken! This morning, Texas and OU officially said see ya to the Big 12.

https://news.utexas.edu/2021/07/26/...xas-at-austin-and-the-university-of-oklahoma/

"The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Oklahoma notified the Big 12 Athletic Conference today that they will not be renewing their grants of media rights following expiration in 2025. Providing notice to the Big 12 at this point is important in advance of the expiration of the conferenceā€™s current media rights agreement. The universities intend to honor their existing grant of rights agreements. However, both universities will continue to monitor the rapidly evolving collegiate athletics landscape as they consider how best to position their athletics programs for the future."
Translation--

We gone--- but if we HAVE to, we'll stick around until 2025-- but if you're smart, you'll help us blow this thing up early and we'll help you go somewhere else.

Translation--

We gone--- but if we HAVE to, we'll stick around until 2025-- but if you're smart, you'll help us blow this thing up early and we'll help you go somewhere else.
It think we will cut a check if we are forced to stay until 2025.

You do realize that OK and especially TX will have a target on their backs for the next 4 years don't you?

We're mediocre in fb. What do you think is going top happen when we play LSU and especially AL?

And we have a new hc and people aren't sure about him. Our leadership is on the clock now.

You do realize that OK and especially TX will have a target on their backs for the next 4 years don't you?

We're mediocre in fb. What do you think is going top happen when we play LSU and especially AL?

And we have a new hc and people aren't sure about him. Our leadership is on the clock now.
Doesnā€™t seem like you care for competition. Would you rather we head to the Mountain West or AAC?
We wonā€™t have a target. We havenā€™t won anything. AL has the target on their back.

Nothing different really. Texas ALWAYS wears a bullseye during good times and bad. Either we're good and everyone hates us or we're bad and everyone wants to get their karma revenge shots in.

About Sark, you're right. He's a big unknown but atleast his staff is elite on paper so... we'll have to wait and see. He's got at least 1 year to tune the machine with a green qb before stepping up the competition.

I'm more interested in our bad calls the b12 refs are surely going to stack on us this season. It's gonna be epic.

OU on the other hand will possibly be with a new qb in sec yr1. Hate to say it but they're set up very well for another CCG and a legitimate playoff run this year with a 1st rd qb.

As positive of a move to the sec it was for aggsy, I can't help but think they actually blew their best chance at winning it all.

They very well could have run the b12 undefeated with Johnny "cocaine" football for 2-3yrs and been a shoe in to play the big game. Ironic

We were one play away from beating LSU during their NC run two years ago. Didnā€™t get a chance to play them last year. Of course weā€™d have won. Iā€™d say we will be competitive every game, even against mean old AL and win a couple we shouldnā€™t. SEC is overhyped largely thanks to AL. Stop buying it.

But from a financial and marketing standpoint what a great move it will be thanks mostly to such hype that the SEC has done building the brand. Weā€™ll just happily slide right into it like a hot oiled blonde.

We were one play away from beating LSU during their NC run two years ago. Didnā€™t get a chance to play them last year. Of course weā€™d have won. Iā€™d say we will be competitive every game, even against mean old AL and win a couple we shouldnā€™t. SEC is overhyped largely thanks to AL. Stop buying it.

But from a financial and marketing standpoint what a great move it will be thanks mostly to such hype that the SEC has done building the brand. Weā€™ll just happily slide right into it like a hot oiled blonde.
Everything that I've seen from fans look to be about a 60/40 split with 60% being against Texas joining mostly due to upper brass politicking and Austin being uber liberal, which it is.

What they aren't considering is the fact that the entire conference has been riding on the coattails of 2 sometimes 3 programs. When Texas is down like we have been, there aren't enough schools in the b12 to carry the load so yeah, the provider$ deserved preferential treatment over the panhandlers.

Perhaps another interesting point, did Mulkey know this was coming before moving to LSU? Jimbo probably knew also.

Iā€™m liking the timing of all of this. Baseball and Basketball both heading in a great direction. I have a feeling Sark and his staff are about to ignite the football program, having been handed a pretty solid foundation of talent. I am worried about breaking in a new secondary next year against Alabama. Maybe that game gets bumped if all of this happens really fast?

You see my friends this is the problem with the SECSEC cult. Itā€™s convenient to rah rah each and every SEC win as though it was your own teamā€™s win but in reality the SEC seems more like a bro league for fans wanting to treat it like a fraternity until the other fraternity members donā€™t treat you like family. Case in point: the first post in the attached thread is delicious:
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3212489

You see my friends this is the problem with the SECSEC cult. Itā€™s convenient to rah rah each and every SEC win as though it was your own teamā€™s win but in reality the SEC seems more like a bro league for fans wanting to treat it like a fraternity until the other fraternity members donā€™t treat you like family. Case in point: the first post in the attached thread is delicious:
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3212489
THAT was the most pathetic post I've ever seen... Please like me, please like me, please like me!

Perhaps another interesting point, did Mulkey know this was coming before moving to LSU? Jimbo probably knew also.
Mulkey has long standing issues with the admin at Baylor. I think that was more of a factor. Iā€™ll tell you who probably knew though. New Texas basketball coach Chris Beard. You donā€™t think CDC mentioned it? And beard probably left going damn if I stay at tech the job gets a lot tougher.

At least in terms of football, the SEC will now be a million times better than any other conference. Wow. It will wield so much power.

I agree with whoever said that this will lead to the formation of other super-conferences. The Big X, ACC and Pac X will have to do so in order to try to level the playing field for TV dollars and recruiting.

No we wouldn't have beaten LSU that year. Joe Burrow had an incredible season. It's been 6 months since Tom Herman was fired and I'm learning as to how poorly we've been. In 4 years we only lost 1 game by more than 10 points If we had better coaching we'd have won a lot of those games. The zebras didn't have it out for us we were guilty on those called.

And now we have a coach who's w/l % wasn't any better than Tom Herman. I'm starting to realize that Del Conte had his sights on Sarkisian for at least a month probably longer. If he turns out to be another failure were going to whipped in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT