ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU to the SEC?

Hate to burst yer bubble brother but no. Sec wanted a powerhouse football program. They got it with OU, just today's circumstances. Now for the richest program in the country to follow? $$$$$$$$$. Sec won/won. Espn did also. Now I'm not bashin horn, talkin a little shit maybe, but your program has needed to pick it up since Mack left and the two turds that followed him. And let's face it, Sark's yet to coach a game for you guys, everyone here knows this. I was pissed at first when news broke we were makin that move to the sec because for years I hated all things sec. Why fight the inevitable though. This move, in my opinion, elevates both programs no doubt about it. OU's rollin and are already out of the gate. You guys will pick up. Hopefully soon.
My point is if the SEC was going to expand they weren’t going to do it with just one team. They were going to do it with two and go with an even 16. If they were taking on two more they were going to take two major programs. They weren’t going to take OU and whatever lesser program they could get, so OU needed a major partner to make the deal happen. That’s why OU didn’t do it with Ok state which politically would of been easier for them. Problem is that wouldn’t of been good enough for the SEC to make the move.

I’m not trying to say OU isn’t a power program. I’m saying they needed a equal partner to make this move happen

For an even 16 teams, obviously there's going to have to be a subtraction at some point. I can see potentially adding Texas, OU, Michigan, OSU, and maybe Clemson FSU. The subtractions would be Arkansas, Missouri, Vanderbilt and aggy. What a 16-team super conference that would be!

KC, it is of course entirely possible Satan (that’s not a typo) retires before the end of that deal. However, I’ve been living the sec hell for years now. The coaches your mentioned are great in their own right but they’re no Satan. Dude is on another level. He has specifically said, ‘I cannot imagine living my life and not belong a part of team.’ I don’t think he means a team of television personalities either. After we’ve played a year in the sec, you’ll realize like everyone else, he’s not going anywhere till 2028.

And I prefer that, I want every opportunity to try and send him into retirement sooner. I’m not saying we will but we’re going to find out where we stack up. Hook’em
OU beat him.

It's being passed around the ACC has offered Texas, OU, and OSU admission. Would that influence OU and Texas to explore that option?

It's being passed around the ACC has offered Texas, OU, and OSU admission. Would that influence OU and Texas to explore that option?
Doubtful, but it’s nice to have as leverage on the off chance some folks on the SEC side gets cold feet last minute.
It’s being reported that we will formally request admission to the SEC tomorrow.

fellas I’m telling you. Despite what they are saying publically Texas and OU are planning to get to the SEC next year

Reactions: DancesWithWolves
fellas I’m telling you. Despite what they are saying publically Texas and OU are planning to get to the SEC next year

Of course. Otherwise we’re in for four years of 2015 Texas-OSU-style epic screw jobs. (Not that that’s even that close to the top of the list of the reasons why.)

Just need a few other schools to start finding power-conference homes. I’m certainly good with that, although I’d like to see Baylor and TCU eat sh*t.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
rumors starting to go around that CDC has already started asking the BMD to help with the buyout.

Of course. Otherwise we’re in for four years of 2015 Texas-OSU-style epic screw jobs. (Not that that’s even that close to the top of the list of the reasons why.)

Just need a few other schools to start finding power-conference homes. I’m certainly good with that, although I’d like to see Baylor and TCU eat sh*t.
I disagree on Baylor and TCU. In the last 11 years Baylor athletics has had the most success in school history. Their bmd have opened their wallets and its paying dividends. And in March they won the nc men's hoops in fact they have the best all around bb program in the country. And they have replaced that eye sore of a stadium with a newer and nicer looking stadium. Maybe they'll land on their feet.

I'll say this for TCU. When they were left behind when the SWC disbanded they were worked hard to get back to the big time. 15 years later they got their chance when the cow college left for the SEC and they've made the most of it. The Big XII got the better end of the deal when we traded the cow college for TCU. I remember the SWC days when TX terrorized TCU every year but lets face it Gary Patterson is a much better coach than Strong or Herman. And with their success against us since they joined the Big XII I'm concerned that we're going to have a giant bullseye when we play them this year same thing when we play ISU. And don't forget we play them the Saturday before OK. And they've been to the CWS a few times recently.

But college fb is about to blow up and within 5 years time honored traditions are going to be gone forever.

First the policy changes in transfers. The power schools are going to be like kids with their own candy stores. But the big one imo is this NIL thing. That Bryce Young kid at AL is already rich and he hasn't even played yet same thing with JT Tuimolau. Finally TX and OK leaving the Big XII. College fb has now become a cold, dog eat dog world.

And I don't have any choice but to except it.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeper
Word around Austin Hartzell(UT Pres) and Eltife(UT board chair) explored the ACC and B1G too and decided the SEC was the best choice

Hartzell is an economist and Eltife is a banker at the director level.

Reactions: LonghornMM
It’s being reported that we will formally request admission to the SEC tomorrow.

This is where fans get confused on grant of rights. Meeting grant of rights doesn’t meaning staying until they end. It only means they will be paid as contracted.

This is where fans get confused on grant of rights. Meeting grant of rights doesn’t meaning staying until they end. It only means they will be paid as contracted.
Completely understand that, but the conventional wisdom was that thru might play in the big 12 for this season and next season before they went. This is moving at such a pace that makes you think they are planning on playing in the sec next season

Completely understand that, but the conventional wisdom was that thru might play in the big 12 for this season and next season before they went. This is moving at such a pace that makes you think they are planning on playing in the sec next season
We will be in the SEC for 2022 thanks to aggy leaking it early.

Last edited:
Obviously money isn't a problem here but we are talking about the same guys that almost kept Shaka over a $10m buyout.

Something that hasn't been discussed is the ooc teams already on the future schedules. We know smallers schools accept being a tune-up opponent in football for a couple mil, does the same go for other sports? Might have to add a couple mil if we can't honor the scheduling too right?

We will be in the SEC for 2022 thanks to aggy leaking it early.
I agree been saying that since the day it was announced. It’s just happening too fast to be a long term planning move.

As far as the money goes I think they are banking on this thing falling apart so quickly they don’t have to pay, and it may. If they do have to pay though I wonder if ESPN might play a role. There is 10 years and 150 million left on the LHN deal. I don’t think ESPN can just fold it in to the SEC network without paying Texas something. Maybe they agree to pay half or something.

Obviously money isn't a problem here but we are talking about the same guys that almost kept Shaka over a $10m buyout.

Something that hasn't been discussed is the ooc teams already on the future schedules. We know smallers schools accept being a tune-up opponent in football for a couple mil, does the same go for other sports? Might have to add a couple mil if we can't honor the scheduling too right?
I don’t think the money was a factor with Dhaka as much as it was the question of could they get chris beard. He was the one and only guy they wanted , and if they couldn’t get him they weren’t going to make the move. Wasn’t really about the money.

I disagree on Baylor and TCU. In the last 11 years Baylor athletics has had the most success in school history. Their bmd have opened their wallets and its paying dividends. And in March they won the nc men's hoops in fact they have the best all around bb program in the country. And they have replaced that eye sore of a stadium with a newer and nicer looking stadium. Maybe they'll land on their feet.

I'll say this for TCU. When they were left behind when the SWC disbanded they were worked hard to get back to the big time. 15 years later they got their chance when the cow college left for the SEC and they've made the most of it. The Big XII got the better end of the deal when we traded the cow college for TCU. I remember the SWC days when TX terrorized TCU every year but lets face it Gary Patterson is a much better coach than Strong or Herman. And with their success against us since they joined the Big XII I'm concerned that we're going to have a giant bullseye when we play them this year same thing when we play ISU. And don't forget we play them the Saturday before OK. And they've been to the CWS a few times recently.

But college fb is about to blow up and within 5 years time honored traditions are going to be gone forever.

First the policy changes in transfers. The power schools are going to be like kids with their own candy stores. But the big one imo is this NIL thing. That Bryce Young kid at AL is already rich and he hasn't even played yet same thing with JT Tuimolau. Finally TX and OK leaving the Big XII. College fb has now become a cold, dog eat dog world.

And I don't have any choice but to except it.

I don’t disagree with you on their recent performance, Cali. I should have been clear that it’s just a matter of personal animus with me. I’d include Tech too, but it’s probably better for us politically if they find a (somewhat awkward) landing spot in the Pac.

I don’t think either Baylor’s or TCU’s recent athletic history is likely to save them (and some of Baylor’s recent history is certain to be a serious negative with Pac-12 and Big Ten administrators.) Expansion is driven by media revenue above all else, and neither school moves the needle on viewership.

Just talked to a friend of mine who is in the media. He's telling me that in the a&m meeting that is going on right now that they are so butthurt over Texas joining the SEC and them being left out of the conversation related to them coming to the conference, that they are talking about leaving the SEC and going to the ACC. You can't make this stuff up! LMAO!

Your friend in the media got some really bad info about the ACC!

Your friend in the media got some really bad info about the ACC!

There was nothing "official" about it. The aggy beat writer, Zwerneman, commented to my friend yesterday that a&m kicked around the idea of potentially moving to the ACC during their call yesterday. The butthurt is strong from aggy over Texas joining the SEC. They have no recourse. They can stay, or they can leave the SEC. Leaving would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. The ACC would be a step down if they decided to go that route. I doubt that will happen though.

There was nothing "official" about it. The aggy beat writer, Zwerneman, commented to my friend yesterday that a&m kicked around the idea of potentially moving to the ACC during their call yesterday. The butthurt is strong from aggy over Texas joining the SEC. They have no recourse. They can stay, or they can leave the SEC. Leaving would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. The ACC would be a step down if they decided to go that route. I doubt that will happen though.

Lots of rumors and media about this. I live in CS, but went to neither school. Yes, the Aggies are not happy. It is business and they had an advantage that they won’t have anymore. What “might” have happened is one of the regents asked a question about moving to ACC! This is ALL about $$$. Especially with COVID, no one is leaving the SEC! $$$ and viability for OU/Texas are one of the main reasons this is happening. To me, academically and culturally, the BIG 10 is a much better fit for UT. I think you guys will be the 4th AAU member in SEC. The SEC $$$ is what has allowed A&M to build a new stadium, pay 7.5 mill for a coach…. As a college football fan, it is sad the way things are going to me. More semi-pro than anything. But if you are the Aggies and Longhorns, you have no choice really. The $$$ are too big! We can talk about EAPN’s influence another time😀

This is the SEC being proactive. They want to form a 16-team super conference. They knew that both Texas and OU were leaving the Big 12 after the GOR expires. They wanted to grab both universities before the Big 10 or ACC potentially did. They know the value and the brand that each school brings. Rumor has it that the SEC is also talking to Michigan and OSU about joining. This could get really interesting.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, in a game that LSU controlled from start to finish, he is not referencing:

1. Our 7-3 lead
2. The fact that we dominated the 3rd quarter and climb back from being down 20-7, to make the score going into the 4th 23-21.

I think he's probably referencing the fact that if we make a stop on 3rd and 17, we would have gotten the ball back down 6 with 2:30 minutes left in a game. By the way, we didn't punt in the 2nd half of that game.
This.

This is the SEC being proactive. They want to form a 16-team super conference. They knew that both Texas and OU were leaving the Big 12 after the GOR expires. They wanted to grab both universities before the Big 10 or ACC potentially did. They know the value and the brand that each school brings. Rumor has it that the SEC is also talking to Michigan and OSU about joining. This could get really interesting.
Also hearing Clemson and Florida St! We may wind up with a 22 or 24 team Super Conference. Pac 12 looks to be on the outside looking in!

Also hearing Clemson and Florida St! We may wind up with a 22 or 24 team Super Conference. Pac 12 looks to be on the outside looking in!
You can forget Clemson/ FSU or any other ACC team. To get ND in as a partial member they just put in a $50 million early exit fee and grant of rights(all media revenue) until 2036. It would north of half a billion dollar$ per team, presently, to exit that contract.

However, the Big 10’s TV deal expires in 2023.

ESPN is not going to shoot itself by letting an ACC team leave and go to the SEC. It's not going to happen. This 4 conference 16 team format is going to take some time. All of the late 8 teams are going to the AAC. ESPN will usher this in soon enough. The AAC will have a seat at the playoff but they will have much less revenue. The one thing I don't want, I don't want the Big 10 having coaches at Friday night games in Texas. Stay up in the frozen north. Your players are up there.

This 4 conference 16 team format is going to take some time.

I doubt it will ever happen. I think we've blown past that possible scenario and are on the road to something else at this point.

There's a lot of dead weight among current P5 programs -- disproportionately concentrated in this dump of a conference -- and I don't think there's any reason at all to assume that other power conferences are going to pick up all of the barnacles we're finally parting with.

Last edited:
I doubt it will ever happen. I think we've blown past that possible scenario and are on the road to something else at this point.

There's a lot of dead weight among current P5 programs -- disproportionately concentrated in this dump of a conference -- and I don't think there's any reason at all to assume that other power conferences are going to pick up all of the barnacles we're finally parting with.
Anything beyond 16 teams with a pod format becomes too cumbersome. If the SEC splits into 2 divisions, we play the east teams once every 6 years. That's not a conference. It would remind me of the Big 8 and SWC. Twenty teams might as well be the NFL which blows.

Reactions: brushycreekhorn
ADVERTISEMENT