Texas basketball - recruiting strategy

Discussion in 'Longhorn Sports' started by Iitbhorn3, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Iitbhorn3

Iitbhorn3 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We need to stop recruiting ineffective 1-and-done players like Bamba, Turner, Allen - who add early season hype that does not translate to wins on the court.
    At least for a few years, until we have built up some experienced depth and more importantly hardworking/winning culture in the program.
    I do not blame those players. They are here to spend a year before the draft. Coming to Texas did not help or hurt Bamba's draft status. The NBA is it's own development league.

Shaka Smart has gotten to where he is by coaching players who want to be coached for 3-4 years. Players who are truly hungry because they do not have a guaranteed future yet and are striving to create one....

Reminded of the quote from the The Replacements...."There is no tomorrow for you, and that makes you all very dangerous people".
    For gifted people like Bamba, Turner, Allen - there is only a tomorrow.

We should pause recruiting such players.

HornDrummer likes this.
  2. ASURAM2010

ASURAM2010 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think you are serious but I can't tell. Do you know what this current team would look like without Bamba and I would put Coleman on the fringe of that category? This team would be struggling to get to 10 wins.

3. LongfellowDrew

LongfellowDrew Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

:confused:So you're saying stop going after the best player possible?

4. RoboCocks21

RoboCocks21 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow so don't try to get the best player and have him wear our colors and donate 3 million dollars to the program to upgrade the facilities? Got it cause he was a one and done player as well.

5. Iitbhorn3

Expand Collapse

How has Bamba's or those other 2 players' presence impacted our program? Other than having players selected in the draft?
    Are we winnihg while they are here? No.
    Are we better the next year because they were here? No.

Recruit the best player for your team. Not the best player available. Unless you have a solid foundation other than the transitional superstar.

HornDrummer likes this.
  6. LongfellowDrew

Expand Collapse

I'm confused. So what if the best player for our team is the best player available? What if he's a one and done?

7. Iitbhorn3

Expand Collapse

Durant was truly special. He put points on the board. No wonder he was the first true freshman ever to win national awards.
    Fair to say that he is best freshman ever in the history of college basketball.

That is an outlier. Not the norm.

You cannot use that as a justification for your strategy.

HornDrummer likes this.
  8. Iitbhorn3

Expand Collapse

As long as I know how we will either win this year or be much better off the next year because of him.

9. cml7374

cml7374 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We should should start recruiting the grandsons of Lance Blanks, Joey Wright, and Travis Mays.......man i miss the "BMW" those games against Arkansas Todd Day, Oliver Miller and company were great to watch

10. LongfellowDrew

Expand Collapse

So you think Shaka doesn't think he can win with the players he's recruiting? He's the coach I would HOPE he's recruiting based off of the way he wants to run the program. If he's sucking at it then that's on him and he'll be on the hot seat.

diadevic likes this.
  11. DrinkToIt

DrinkToIt Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

TJ Ford was a true freshman.

12. ASURAM2010

Expand Collapse

Do you think legitamly think that if Durant didn't come here and do what he did that we would have had a chance with Turner, Allen, Bamba,, etc? Do you think that with out TJ Ford we would have gotten Avery Bradley, Coleman, Andrew Jones, etc?

We don't want to recruit great players because they may be really good for us for a year but then go on to tell other good recruits how awesome it was to play at Texas...yea seems like a bad idea.

13. RolloTomassi0309

RolloTomassi0309 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

let me be clear-- BAMBA IS NOT THE PROBLEM!!! MYLES TURNER WAS NOT THE PROBLEM!!! JARRETT ALLEN WAS NOT THE PROBLEM!!!

quite the contrary, these guys helped salvage their seasons. durant salvaged his season but even he only got us a 6 seed and a 1 and done. but he helped the other guys grow up.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT ABOMINATION OF AN OFFENSE WE RUN!!! as soon as somebody cares enough, go call the guy that deserved the job last time (buzz), before we made the decision to "make history" on social media.

diadevic likes this.
  14. ASURAM2010

Expand Collapse

By your theory, I guess our football program should quit recruiting the guys like Malik, Connor Williams, Holton Hill, Deshawn Elliott, VY. You know since we don't want them leaving early and all.

BringBackRoyal and RoboCocks21 like this.
  15. 2300 Nueces

2300 Nueces Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I understand your frustration but carmelo anthony was a one and done at Syracuse and they won the nt.

16. cml7374

cml7374 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think hes trying to say that the "no motion, stand around and watch, and try to penetrate with 5 seconds on the play clock just to throw up a prayer shot" isnt working. I'd like to see what the ladies basketball coach could do with her offense.....sure couldnt be as bad as Smarts has been. I understand recruiting elite basketball players that are 1 and done.....but when the going gets tough it doesnt affect them like a 3 or 4 year player would......they know win or lose they arent gonna be around anyway.
    All this Shaka being a bad fit is warranted....you adjust to what you have...the problem is he hasnt. You need shooters and TEXAS doesnt have enough to open anything up....which makes Bambas play that more impressive.

17. Iitbhorn3

Expand Collapse

Carmelo also put points on the board.
    Our superstar recruits after Durant have not put points on the board and have not resulted in wins for us.
    At some point, you have to recognize that building depth and experience is better for the program.

HornDrummer likes this.
  18. speedstrength

speedstrength Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

HornDrummer and Iitbhorn3 like this.
  19. RolloTomassi0309

Expand Collapse

allen and turner have proven to be capable scorers. they didn't put points on the board because they are the screeners for the guys that are supposed to dribble around and JACK UP SOME STUPID-ASS SHOT WITH 3 SECONDS ON THE SHOT CLOCK!!!

AGAIN--- THE PLAYERS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!!! THE TYPES OF PLAYERS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!!! CLOGGED FLIPPIN TOILET IS MOST! DEFINITELY! THE! PROBLEM!

diadevic likes this.
  20. RolloTomassi0309

Expand Collapse

shaka can't coach offense like jay wright, no matter who he recruits. jay wright is the best shooting coach in the nation at the d-1 level (i don't know if the guy at philadelphia university is still active-- his name is herb something, i think). anyway, shaka is no jay wright. but jay wright ain't turning down mo bamba either.

The Tower and BringBackRoyal like this.
  21. diadevic

diadevic Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Watch the creative ways Coach K gets the ball to Bagley (when not hurt). The ball should run through Bamba every possession. Instead of the stupid pick and roll, drop it in to Bamba down low, then when double teamed kick out to the shooters Inside out offense every other team in the country runs. The shooters can't shoot, but at least they would be open.

The Tower likes this.
  22. RoboCocks21

RoboCocks21 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Haha oh can't use facts sorry about that.....because of him we are able to get top recruits oh dang I can't use that either.....Well I guess you are right can not use that for justification.

23. speedstrength

speedstrength Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

We don't have great shooters, we don't have great ball handlers and there is no defensive 3 seconds in the college game. Makes it tough to score if the defense doesn't have worry about defending the perimeter.

cml7374 and diadevic like this.
  24. BringBackRoyal

BringBackRoyal Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but this really couldn’t be more wrong. If there’s one thing that’s not a problem with this program, it’s signing a small number of top players who will leave after a year or two (AJ would have fallen under that category).

Our problems with recruiting are (1) the blown evaluations and wasted scholarships on the lesser talents that we need to become excellent three- to four-year players (Young, Banks, and Hamm so far) and (2) the general mismatch of talent to system. Shaka has mostly abandoned Havoc for a half-court game, but he’s still recruiting too many athletes made for the press and transition game over players who can shoot worth a damn.

The Tower and 2300 Nueces like this.
  25. ASURAM2010

Expand Collapse

It is no coincidence that our best games have been the games that we have scored as many points in transition as we have in the set offense. This team is built to run and gun, but I have seen molasses in the winter move faster than this offense. Get these guys out in transition and you will see why they were recruited. This team is built to run havoc, but they don't do it.

26. Aggie_Eric98

Aggie_Eric98 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

27. ryan_sublett

ryan_sublett Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Texas just added very talented PG recruit Courtney Ramey. Big get for Shaka, and sounds like Coleman recruited him, so he’s staying. Back court could go from a weakness to a strength pretty quickly. Especially if Roach comes back which I expect plus the outside shot of Jones. Could be a very interesting and very good team next year.

Oldmanastro likes this.
  28. Charlie Mang

Charlie Mang Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Eric Davis was basically kicked off the team for accepting $1500 from a sports agent. Meanwhile in collieville, Manziel cashes in on ten's of thousands of dollars selling his autograph. He gets suspended one-half of one game. Against Rice. Wow A&M looks really slimy, although I am sure it's nothing.

tlra2, BringBackRoyal and LonghornMM like this.
  29. ryan_sublett

ryan_sublett Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There is also the point that the current staff didn’t really recruit Davis.., he was already committed when Shaka got here I beleive. He took money from an agent though. Not sure how that helped Texas in anyway.

30. cwillfromdatx

cwillfromdatx Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

UT need to go after Green from Fresno. He's still undecided and ranked in a few services as the #1 player in the country. He would be an immediate impact player and would stay more than one year