ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Craft Beer

Hans Pils by Real Ale Brewing Co. in Blanco.....German style...damned good.....your welcome

22215l.gif

I LOVE THIS THREAD. Most people that I know have no concept of craft beer. I love IPA's and have had some good ones from kegs in Austin,but the best comes from the West Coast. I think we will get there eventually, but right now they have the edge for sure in "store bought" IPA's. Try Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point out of San Diego and you will see who has set the bar IMHO.

The idea that craft beer is a new hip thing is funny to me. All beer was "craft" beer before the world wars, and here is a little secret, for a long time in america cider was the beverage of choice. Mass produced beer, i.e. Budweiser took massive marketing campaigns to catch on when people could only afford very cheap beer. Eventually "macro beer" nearly completely took over the market and "beer" as it was known for most of recorded history disappeared. It has just really started making a come back in the past decade or so, and is slowly but surely taking back some market share, to a chorus of people claiming that its some kind of new age frufru fad.

Growing up on Lake Austin and Travis, my uncle and me used to make Mustang grape wine and " Home Brew Beer..er sorry " Craft beer" ourselves, so they just replaced Home Brew with Crafted to make it sound better

Hook'em

Call it what you want. It is just nice to have so much domestic choice in great beers when 15 years ago it wasn't the case. (In Texas anyway)

FBH it's still homebrew but if you're doing it at home. I call my beer homebrew not craft beer but if I'm at a bar I use the word craft beer because that's the marketing name. If I use micro they would look at me like I was nuts, some still look at me funny when I say craft.

Agree! I've converted a few bud drinkers into the "craft" beer section. They all pretty much say the same thing that I said when I first had a Fireman 4. "Didn't know beer had this much flavor".

Cheers!

My normal beer is Torpedo from Sierra nevada. One of the best beers I ever drank is Dead Guy Ale from Rogue. Fat tire triple is just a bit heavy tasting but still good.

I had to edit because I wrote flat tire instead of fat tire.
This post was edited on 2/27 2:08 PM by oldhorn2

Great Divide Nomad Pilsner - Colorado
Avery Maharaja - Colorado
Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (bottle and Nitro) - Colorado
Green Flash West Coast IPA, Le Freak and Green Bullet - San Diego
Ballast Point Sculpin - San Diego
Stone Xocoveza, Cali Belgique and Delicious - Escondido
Maui Brewing Bikini Blonde, Mana Wheat, Big Swell IPA and Coconut Porter - Maui
Clown Shoes Space Cake - Massachusetts
I could go on and on.

This post was edited on 2/27 3:16 PM by LongfellowDrew

ADVERTISEMENT